Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

And then he trips on the gold and seriously injures himself. Doc Mitchell can only get hosed over by the courier he tries to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I think you can also hotkey to another weapon to stop reloading, but ofc you still would need to watch the weapon change animation.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Mierenneuker posted:

"If Three Dog were here, he'd say something witty. But he's not. 'Cause somebody killed him. So you get me playing music. Yay(!)."

Killing Three Dog was one of the last things I did before retiring my 100+ hours character. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard Margaret's voice.

The best thing about killing Three Dog is if you do it listening to Galaxy News Radio you can still hear him talking about how great you are for a little bit as you watch him fly from one side of the room to the other.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

Bethesda is hosting at E3 so they better announce Fallout 4 for the love of god

I'm such a hypocrite and would definitely pre-order Fallout 4 despite pre-orders being a terrible idea, give me that game, Bethesda!

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Seashell Salesman posted:

How does my PipBoy know what I'm carrying oh my god I never thought of that :psyboom:

The Courier is a massive dork who spreadsheets all his equipment of course

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I suppose it hasn't been said but are we still assuming Fallout 4 is in Boston?
I've been there once, I guess there's lots of president/America stuff there so it could work, I dunno.
edit: if it's real please for god's sake be real

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Volkerball posted:

Charon was the best companion ever.

Talk to Ahzrukhal.
Also yeah, he didn't care about Karma right? Also how many people paid the 2000 caps because regardless of my character I'd almost always just cap that other ghoul.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I'm trying to play Fallout 1 properly for the first time now, having only beaten 3 and New Vegas.
I've just started and it seems cool, I remember my first attempt being too confused by the interface and control scheme but I think I've got it down now. Haven't encountered much amazing dialogue, a lot of it's pretty expository, which I guess makes sense, it's worldbuilding at least. It's funny how pretty much the first guy you see says "yep, we grow food here." Some real Shandification going on.

sout fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 20, 2015

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Serperoth posted:

That's not the first guy you see. :colbert:

Ed's dead baby. Ed's dead.

That's really one of the subtlest things I can think of off the top of my head, it's just one container and does so much. You're not the first to leave the Vault, the world is a dangerous place, here's some supplies (based on what you tagged), and an introduction to Fallout's humour.

Haha, fair point. By the way, is the whole game on this time limit or just the first mission? Because I can see myself definitely running out of time.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Played a little more this morning, man I'm getting killed by EVERYBODY! Khans, some doctor who I couldn't pay, Killian when I tried to fight his assailant.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

New Leaf posted:

Sips from the Yogscast is really deep in a playthrough if you want to see how not to start a game, but his run so far has been absolutely hilarious. He went fisticuffs with minimal intelligence and named himself Mike Tyson.

Might give that a look, I've seen some stuff he's in and he seems pretty chill.
Anyway, I'm not stuck or anything, just having fun with it at the moment.
I also have 2 and Tactics, I've heard a decent amount of good stuff about the former, but is Tactics worth playing?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Wow, that was a fun series of hours playing Fallout, haven't really done any binge playing in a while.
Anyway, with a new character, some buffs and a lot of luck I managed to kill those mutants and find my water chip.
I have already seen that ending where the mutants take you to their base and turn you into a mutant and kill all the vault dwellers. and I thought that was pretty cool.
Some cool things:
Chems seem more useful than the FPS games because AP actually kinda matters
I accidentally recruited Dogmeat because I was wearing a cool leather jacket.
Hey look it's Jim Cummings and Tress MacNeille because of course!

I don't know how much of the game is left but at least I'm done with the timer now, had about 80 days spare anyway though.

edit: also the "ask about what" feature is pretty cool.

sout fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 22, 2015

sout
Apr 24, 2014

One thing that annoys me about Fallout 1 is the inability to make Dogmeat wait, I mean, he's not very helpful but I can't bring myself not to reload every time he gets decimated.
I don't really want to fix this with a mod or anything but ugh.
Anyway, I'm surprised by how engaged I am by the game, and I'm glad I tried it, but I also want to finish it soon because it is making me procrastinate a lot.

Also, I talked to the elders about sending help but for some reason there aren't any brotherhood dudes at the military base?

sout fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 24, 2015

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Woo, okay I beat Fallout 1.
I did confront the master a number of times unsuccesfully, then I found out I could just rig the whole drat place to explode! :toot:
Gunna wait a while until I start Fallout 2, which as I hear is about twice as long as this one.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Mierenneuker posted:

I deliberately didn't bother with Dogmeat until I got the Puppies perk added by Broken Steel. I think that's at level 24.

Dogmeat never even came close to dying. The last thing I did during my playthrough was to try to kill it and it took about 15 minutes of non-stop violence. It was a goddamned raid boss.

Does Puppies! give you infinite Dogmeats?
I never bothered with it because it seemed like a bit of a waste of a perk to me.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Okay, so let's assume Fallout 4 comes out, which platforms would we expect to see it on? PC/PS4/The Bone or 7th gen as well? I don't have a current-gen console yet, but I'd probably get it on PC anyway, I never really bothered that much with mods, especially at the start though I might have a look later down the line, but I appreciate the wider range of control and options open to you.
In one way it would be cool for it to be available on everything but you obviously don't want it to seem held back. I probably wouldn't complain too much if we got 3: 2 or New Vegas: 2 but what sort of stuff could they change to improve the series, besides just better writing and quests?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Do you guys ever let companions die? Truth be told I never really play Hardcore mode (I know, I'll probably try it over summer a bit) but in Fallout 3 I'd always reload if anyone got killed. The only one I can remember letting die was Dogmeat in Fallout 1, because he was more trouble to keep alive than he was actually worth imo.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

:toot: gently caress YES. :toot:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Serperoth posted:

I can only hope MachineGames is making it, since apparently Obsidian isn't on the best of terms with Bethesda.

Surely Obsidian could never be trusted with Fallout: I mean, 84 on metacritic!?

e: /\ the website has a timer that's at about 23 hours right now

sout
Apr 24, 2014

MinibarMatchman posted:

trailer should be footage of the player stealing an apple, a whole town freaking out and trying to kill him for this heinous deed, and then failing once he gets stuck in a fence or glitches on a rock or some poo poo

FALLOUT 4

Tangentially related, but I remember LOLing in Oblivion when talking to a character in a tavern, when a spoon fell off the table. With my lightning fast reflexes I picked it up before it fell to the floor and everybody gasped. I then put it down on the table, picked it up again and again 5 NPCs gasped simultaneously. I guess it belonged to somebody.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I definitely want Fallout 4 to be very good,
I will probably be a hypocrite and pre-order it and enjoy it even if it's not amazing.

Also, anyone else curious if it'll actually be called "Fallout 4?" It'd be pretty dumb/funny if they just called it "Fallout" like so many game iterations seem to do now.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

"What? I don't understand the confusion. We were clearly just undergoing site maintenance, why else would we put up a screen that says 'Please Stand By?' Sorry about any confusion, our social media operators are just great admirers of our company's site coders."

sout
Apr 24, 2014

It only took an announcement and people (at least gibbis people) are super down on Fallout. Oh well, I'll suspend my disbelief and be excited, and will probably like the game even if it's no better than F3.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah I sort of doubt they'd even make an MMO again, at least now. I don't think TESO lost money or anything but it can't have been as good for them as Skyrim was.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

No cross-gen! I am glad, but know my 7th gen friends will be disappointed. Hooray!
Haven't got a PS4 or Bone yet but I was going for the PC version anyway.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Good Karma Hunting

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

If they don't use Fenway as a setpiece for something it will be a huge missed opportunity.

Is Fenway an especially impressive stadium or something? Or just conveniently close to MIT?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnn2rJpjar4 fine here

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Vault number looks to be 111.
Looks good, different in so far as "holy poo poo is that guy talking?" and "wow, look at all these colours, hot drat."

I'm excited.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/606100168195375104

More stuff hooray!

sout
Apr 24, 2014

AngrySquid posted:

Looks like Fallout 3 with a texture swap and a couple of tweaks to the lighting....

Well duh.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Bholder posted:

You were all right all along, Bethesda ruined Fallout!

I mean look at this poo poo!

BLUE SKIES IN FALLOUT!

That's bullshit!

Why, it's a Fallout game: you shouldn't be able to SEE the sky! You're supposed to BE the sky! grumblegrumblegrumble

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I don't see the problem, dogs always look pretty stupid.
Have you ever seen a dog?
They're pretty goofy.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Despite recognizing its obvious shortcomings, I still thought Fallout 3 was great. and New Vegas was brilliant. I only just played Fallout 1 and enjoyed it, planning to plunge into 2 quite soon. It is A Good Series imo and I expect to have a lot of fun with 4.
Obviously it's fair to criticize the graphics: they are not stellar but it's basically exactly what I was expecting. Bring on E3.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I played 75 hours F3, 106 NV. On PC. I also played both games on PS3. Maybe it's stockholm syndrome.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

It would be nice if Fallout 4 allowed me to change the FOV and disable mouse acceleration without fiddling with .inis or command console.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Naming saves would be nice too.

Yep.
Remember that thing in Skyrim where the save size would increase the longer you played until it got so big that the framerate halved? That might have just been on PS3.
Surely nothing will go wrong.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

that is something SPECIAL, wow.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Serperoth posted:

Very much agreed. As a game, overall and standalone, FO3 isn't too bad. Yeah it has its flaws, no game doesn't, but it could stand. By attaching the Fallout name, it's part of a series, and as part of that series, it fails. It's a decent game, but a bad Fallout game, and that's why my hopes for FO4 are low, because Bethesda has proven to not quite grasp Fallout as a series.

How do you feel about Fallout 3 --> 4 not as a series of Fallout games: would they be forgotten much quicker without the brand, or would they be celebrated more for their own aspects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Hmm, just realized that I don't think I ever really played Dead Money. I beat all the other 3/NV DLCs except for Mothership Zeta.
Is it worth playing? I'm probably gunna start a new New Vegas playthrough soon anyway.

edit: ALSO, I rarely do big guns and explosives builds - so I'm gunna shake things up and do that.
Is this viable? I know Big Guns = Guns in FNV but what cool weapons are worth checking out in the early game? There's a flamer in Primm or something right?

sout fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 6, 2015