Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
So, is there a list of "required" or suggested mods for FO3? I just got the GOTY off of Steam, and want to give it a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Volkerball posted:

Playing Lonesome Road for the first time, and man, Ulysses is one cryptic mother fucker. We have these long rambling conversations and afterwards I'm just like what the hell did we just do.

The first time through, I though it was brilliant.

The second time through, I thought it was bullshit.

The third time through, I thought it was brilliant again, just poorly conveyed.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Speaking of terrible Fallout games, is there a Let's Play or postmortem of Brotherhood of Steel (not Tactics, of course)? Something nice and in-depth? I've always heard about how bad it was, but can't find specifics.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
It was mentioned earlier that Fallout 3 was originally set a few decades after the bombs fell; is that true, or just speculation?

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
The biggest problem I can see with FO3 so far is the question "why?" is never answered sufficiently.

-Why is the water still so irradiated when the radiation should have filtered out so long ago?
-Why is FEV research also happening in a vault in DC?
-Why did the Enclave also set up shop in DC?
-Why has society only begun to rebuild after 200 years, even though it was rebuilding in California before 84 years had gone by?
-How did the BoS manage to cross a hostile and irradiated wasteland and why did they go to DC?
-How did anyone manage to cross a hostile and irradiated wasteland?
-How does the Talon Company manage to sustain its soldiers, arms and supplies if the basics of clean water and food are so hard to come by?

Questions about the setting and characterizations of groups like the BoS could be answered, and could make for compelling story telling, but they aren't answered, and so the story is less compelling.

Oh! And deathclaws! How did they get to DC?

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
I don't care for the Pipboy 3000 because of the dumb glove that exposes your hand, even on the spacesuit and environmental safety suit, two things where you really wouldn't want skin exposed.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
I love and hate parts of each DLC:

-Dead Money has some of the best characters and character interactions of the DLCs, and Obsidian tried something different from the "usual" Fallout fare (survival horror).
-Unfortunately, a lot of survival horror stuff doesn't work: resources aren't actually that scarce, the environmental are more irritating than dangerous, and the main enemy type is still easily killable; just be sure to blow off a limb, which you've probably been doing the entire game anyways.

-Honest Hearts is set in a beautiful location, brings back tribals, uses the Survival skill for actual wilderness survival, and has Joshua Graham, who is such a total loving badass, he got his own class of Destroying Angel. Oh, and the entire story of Randall Clark.
-It also had Daniel, who was just boring and stupid, and a main quest that is literally a long set fetch quests. Zion National Park, while beautiful, was also kind of boring.

-Old World Blues is about fighting Dr. Mobius and his army of Robo-scorpions in the Forbidden Zone! It has a whole bunch of skill checks and lasers and words and SCIENCE and cyborg poo poo and stuff. I personally consider all those things a plus.
-The humor relies far too heavily on sex jokes, though. Far too heavily: thank you, Obsidian, thank you for sonic ejaculation and describing the Courier's masturbation habits with Cram. That's just what my retro-50's sci-fi experience needed. Also, the main quest is again blatant fetch quests in a clear attempt to get you to explore the map (having an ending slide dedicated to how many locations you found is even worse); running through the school over and over again, rereading the same emails over and over again...

-Lonesome Road shows off better than any other Fallout the absolute carnage the war caused. The ruined streets, collapsing office buildings, winding canyons, the utter chaos is beautiful. Running along the overpass and looking over the ruins of the city is one my favorite moments of Fallout New Vegas. Ulysses is wonderfully designed and voice-acted. Also, the Marked Men launching flairs before attacking was a nice touch.
-Sadly, the rest falls pretty flat. Ulysses was trying to be for Fallout what Kreia was for the Star Wars, except (a) he was poorly written, and (b) Fallout doesn't need a Kreia-type figure. Its attempts at drawing me into the story fell flat. The nuke being launched when you opened a door could have cool, but it also fell flat. So much of LR that could have been cool or deep just felt... meh. Even the "signature weapon of the Divide", the Red Glare, felt incredibly underpowered. I got more use out the nail-gun, for heaven's sake.

Each of the DLC have high and low points; the highs have always been enough to bring me back, but lows have always made me wary of it. It's just too bad we never got a MotB level of DLC for Fallout New Vegas.

But at least we didn't get a Mothership Zeta again, either.

drkeiscool fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 16, 2015

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Rookersh posted:

Out of curiosity, has there been any backstory for the Pacific Northwest? Portland and Seattle and the like?

Cali is now the NCR. Nevada was protected by the New Vegas Shield, and became what we saw in New Vegas. The flyover states became tribal raider hell/Legion territory. The Midwest is now Midwestern Brotherhood territory ( ie super assholes ), after Bethesda made "the core of Tactics" canon ( just not the stuff they got wrong. ). DC and the lower East Coast is now a radioactive hellscape just barely figuring out how water works. Boston and the rest of the Northeastern Megalopolis seem to have recovered alright, but have their own issues recovering to the point of the NCR.

The Pacific Northwest, Texas, and the Deep South are basically the few places still not shown in a Fallout game. Tactics 2 basically put down what the old Fallout team thought Florida would be like ( giant 10-20 foot tall man/crocodile hybrids caused by a GECK getting irradiated, the swamp overgrowing to the point of nature becoming this unstoppable murdering force. Disneyworld being a giant fortress against the hells of the nature madness. ), which works well enough. Texas I can assume is just more Legion territory/tribal raider gangs. But what the hell is going on up in Seattle?

I think the map in FO2 stretches into southern Oregon; Arroyo, Klamath and the Den are in Oregon according the wiki, and Seattle was going to be a place to visit in Project V13 and Fallout Extreme. I think you can technically visit Idaho in FO2 as well, but there's nothing there (there was going to be an Abbey of some kind, but it was cut).

One of the endings for the Great Khans in New Vegas has them go up to Wyoming, reconnect with the Followers of the Apocalypse, and "carve a mighty empire out of the ruins of the Northwest."

Unrelated fun fact, but FO Extreme was also going to feature China, but seeing as it never came out...

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Honest Hearts needed more time in the oven; Joshua Graham was a great character and had a good arc, and the Survivalist was wonderfully bittersweet, but the rest was underdone. The area was also a mess to navigate.

Dead Money had a dreary, oppressive atmosphere and characters that invoked both pity and paranoia, but the actual mechanics were sorely lacking (drat you radios :argh:).

OWB is probably my favorite since I love the characters and dialogue so much, but the enemies are ridiculously hard to kill at high levels and there's so much backtracking.

Lonesome Road is probably the strangest one, because I always flipflop on whether Ulysses is a well written character or not. I love the environments and setting, but that nuke you accidentally launch felt underwhelming. Most of the new weapons are weak as well. I've also always felt that LR would've worked better as an epilogue to the Courier's story rather than a lead up to Hoover Dam. Overall though, it's probably my favorite of the DLC's.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

The Gorp posted:

Fallout: Canada

It was annexed in this timeline right?

Yeah, and Mexico too, I think.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Reading the wiki, Mexico was actually invaded according to the Fallout Bible.

Also, reading the wiki makes me really sad that despite the protagonist in FO4 being a survivor from before the War, nothing really comes of it. So much crazy and depressing poo poo happened in the decade leading up to it, and no one asks what it was like from what I've played.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Saw the trailer for Frontier the other day. poo poo looks bananas.

Holy poo poo, that actually looks impressive, and not just as a mod "expansion".

I can't remember specific mods, but I feel like every other mod for New Vegas that has tried to really expand to a new zone has fallen short, either in design, gameplay, or narrative. I don't know anything about the narrative, but judging from that trailer, the other two things are shaping up nicely.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
~*~ain't that a kick in the heeeead~*~

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
The problem with Avellone characters like Ulysses and Kriea is that Avellone turns them into mouthpieces for his opinions on a particular franchise instead of just being characters; it's part of why you can't argue with them. Sure, you can tell them that you disagree, or tell them to shut up, but that's not the same as saying something meaningful to refute their ideologies. This wasn't such a big problem with KOTOR 2 when it was released (random aside that everyone should read Scorchy's LP at some point) since I guess the extended universe had room to talk about the ideologies of the Jedi and Sith, but Fallout was about how society rebuilt itself in different ways after a nuclear war, not how the light and dark sides of force fought huge wars just to keep itself in balance. Furthermore, New Vegas puts a spotlight on the war around Hoover Dam and the player's part in it, while in KOTOR 2 the whole war is mostly in the background. A character like Ulysses just feels out of place in New Vegas, and trying to retcon in a personal conflict between Ulysses and the player character who had no backstory before fell flat on face for me. And even if Ulysses says things about the different factions values and ideologies, it doesn't change the fact that he just wants to nuke everything to start over, or that actually doing so doesn't really change much in the base game.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

megalodong posted:

willow reminds me of the saerileth mod for baldur's gate 2, which you all should look up if you've never seen it.

is that the mod with a romanceable 14 year old paladin

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

ah finally a nuclear winter

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Whenever I do the sharecropper quest, I always choose the option that kills the last survivors of the vault and saves the farms. The quest is implemented in such a way that I always just pretended the vault families didn't exist. I guess a group actually does spawn at Aerotech, but I literally just learned about that from the thread now, so... it's not a poorly made quest per se, but it could've used more work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
all the talk of goons making off with the treasure of the sierra madre isn't that it's about letting go

it's that the house doesn't always win :smug: