Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

2house2fly posted:

I assume that post is a joke of some kind since every character in Dead Money goes on about the vending machines at length with very little prompting. It'd be like playing Old World Blurs and going "wait brains in jars? :confused:"
I loved this, I really wasn't expecting it because I was just thinking of them in terms of gameplay, but of course you could plop down a hologram emitter in a battle and do some serious damage, or feed an army with one of those vending machines. I like characters seeing a real-life utility in gameplay contrivances

one friend of mine that isn't keen on WRPGs or FPS games said he absolutely hated dead money because he could barely survive and everything he found was worthless. Turns out he never figured out how to use the vending machines, and didn't understand why they were all over the place.

I decided to probe further, and found out he never figured out how any crafting menus worked at all.

After I told him how you press a button on a menu, he replayed it and decided it was his favorite DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

which game review website does your friend work for

is it giant bomb

he's just not used to it. He has a pretty annoying level of motion sickness, so he never got into first person shooters at all(he plays FNV in third person). He's also a weeb, so no WRPGs. It took me a long, long time of insistence and persistence to get him to enjoy FNV. I've got a spot in heaven for how much patience I had to spare.

After several hours of mod troubleshooting(I asked him to install basic bugfix mods) he told me that this game was bullshit because the nightkin were pretty much immortal and he was out of healing items and ammo.

I told him to go buy some supplies from some traders, and he told me he never found any traders, and that everyone he met just shot him on sight.

After a bit of troubleshooting and intuition, I figured out what happened to him:

He left Goodsprings and killed powder gangers. He equipped their armor, and ignored the faction clothing message. He went back to goodsprings, and slaughter ensued.
He went to Primm, got shot by the NCR trooper there. He killed the trooper and equipped his armor.
He met Vulpes in Nipton, got shot by the legionnaires. He killed them all and equipped their armor.
He went to Novac, and got shot by everyone there too, which made him flee towards REPCONN.

It was an absolute catastrophe. The funny thing is that his unfamiliarity with WRPGs made him never question whether or not it is normal for every single NPC in the world to attack you on sight.

Once I figured that out and told him how spectacularly he hosed up, he restarted, and his opinion on the game did a complete 180.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

2house2fly posted:

I did a similar thing when I first played; I found some NCR armour somewhere and didn't get the faction armour system, and then I got the quest to go to Nipton and got annoyed because the legionaries just immediately attacked me and owned me.

I can't really talk about people being noobs about crafting and stuff because I've played the game so much for so long that I actually can't remember how much I used crafting when I was getting started. The tragedy of playing a game to death...

I'm not blaming him for the perfect storm he got himself into. I actually wonder what jsawyer(or any game dev that actually cares for that matter) would think of a player having such a disastrous experience just by ignoring one popup.

Ignoring it multiple times, yeah, but still.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Seashell Salesman posted:

There is this flash of inspiration you can see in the survivalist cooking and medicine progression, but the game makes it more viable to just live in civilization and/or consume pre-war supplies.

Survival is worth it for Rushing Water alone.

And Travel Light, too. I love going faster. Wish you could stack move speed in FNV like you could in FO4. +40% speed and an explosive shotgun made me feel like I was doomguy in post apocalypse.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
even after a few patches, you'll probably have trouble crafting some of the more complex stuff. The issue of weight always springs to mind(especially with jsawyer.esp). Weapon Repair Kits are one of the few things I bother to collect ingredients for, because it's a nice balance between availability and usefulness. If I keep the ingredients in mind when I start the game, I also tend to craft Turbo in batches.

You have stuff like Wasteland Tequila and Large Wasteland Tequila that need to be crafted in large amounts to be useful, but their requirements are oddly specific so you just keep gathering and gathering the more common pieces and never actually craft anything. Hell, I can't remember the last time I crafted a Doctor's Bag.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

no Lucky 38 in the background? For shame.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

funmanguy posted:

if the king is such a god, how come he keeps dying to This Machine?

maybe he's a communist god.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

FreudianSlippers posted:

Wasn't there some quest and or dungeon in Daggerfall that had you trapped in a pit or cage that you had to climb out of but you you had to be basically maxed out in climbing to even stand a miniscule chance leaving 99,99% of characters hopelessly trapped?

I find it difficult to believe Climbing was ever necessary in a world where Levitation exists.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Danaru posted:

I miss Levitation :smith: one of my most memorable moments of Morrowind was going into a Telvanni tower as a big dumb axe swinger, realizing they never bothered to build stairs because they all know levitation, and immediately I knew everything I needed to know about the Tevanni without a word being said.

Smug pricks :mad:

I just wish you could craft On Touch/Projectile Jump spells.

When I heard this effect existed in Morrowind I had dreams of killing people by making them leap into the stratosphere. Sadly, it was not meant to be.

I still had plenty of fun crafting and using a jump spell that was exactly strong enough to take me from Wolverine Hall to my telvanni tower, though.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

amigolupus posted:

This is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxcwoRyaGqI

The fact that it feels unfinished, janky and in dire need of polish just makes it the most New Vegas thing ever. :allears:

[Survival 27/90] How do you know it's grilled?

That's just like a new vegas failed check. Excellent.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

It's been a few years since my last full playthrough and I haven't checked out Lonesome Road or tried a Logan's Loophole run, so it's reinstall time. Leaning toward a light-armored cowboy that crafts ammo and occasionally tosses dynamite (two more things I've never done).

The chems aspect of Logan's Loophole doesn't interest me, but the perk will give me a good excuse to perpetually drink whiskey with my bud Cass.

just don't install bug fixing patches, so you can enjoy 20m long stealth boys and minute long turbos.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

gently caress Vault 34.

So this is my first time playing a Fallout game (My friend said New Vegas is the best one so that's the one I got). I started months ago, but I'm not even close to finishing the main story because I've been having so much fun with side-quests and DLC (Old World Blues has been my favorite so far, though Dead Money is a close second). Anyway, I'm wandering around looking for new poo poo to do or fresh Legionaries to shoot when I happen upon this random rear end NCR sharecropper who's all "Hey, water pump is acting weird, think you could help us out with that?" and I think that sounds like easy EXP because I have a really high repair stat so I head on over there. Except it turns out the problem isn't that the pipe is broken, but rather that there's radiation leaking in from an outside source, and that source turns out to be a vault I had never visited before. I am, of course intrigued, so I head on in thinking I'm in for a fun time.

But it wasn't fun.

It wasn't fun at all.

The whole loving place was radioactive and full of feral ghouls and I kept getting turned around because all the loving hallways looked the same. In retrospect I should have just left right away, but I was convinced that any place this irritating must contain some kind of incredible prize, a prize that's probably contained in the armory since the computer logs won't shut up about it. So I keep on trucking, and after about two hour of backtracking and drowning and radiation poisoning I finally find my way into the glorious armory which contains....a bunch of equipment that's not nearly as good as the poo poo I already have. That's the one problem with doing the DLC content early, I guess.

I complete the rest of the quest out of spite I ended up freeing a trapped family even though doing so kept the sharecroppers water irradiated because A) I related deeply to that family because they, like me, wanted to get the gently caress out of the Hellhole that is Vault 34 and B) gently caress the sharecroppers for sending me down there in the first place.

TLDR version: gently caress VAULT 34.

wasn't that vault intentionally designed(by the developers, I mean) to make the pip boy map and compass confused as gently caress so you're completely lost and slowly cooking from the radiation?

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

whydirt posted:

Honestly I feel like companions just make combat and muling items around too easy in general, so I tend to only use them to complete their personal side quests. I do use the console to hard code on Boone and ED-E's companion perks for quality of life purposes because pixel hunting for items you can pick up sucks.
I wish you could lock on a companion's perk to keep even if you didn't have them around. You'd still be limited to only one companion perk, you'd just not need to actually have them hired.

I do love Whiskey Rose, Regular Maintenance and Spotter, but they're gone for a good chunk of the game when you're doing the DLCs.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

chitoryu12 posted:

Fallout 4 really missed something in not having your character be utterly baffled at the post-apocalyptic world. His first reaction to a Deathclaw should have been marching up to Preston Garvey and screaming something along the lines of "WHAT THE SHITCOCK PUT ME BACK IN THE GROUND"

x Hate Deathclaws

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Here's the best melee weapon: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Two-Step_Goodbye_(GRA)

Punch poo poo, blow it up, let chaos reign.

that's unarmed! If you're doing unarmed, then there's nothing better than Greased Lightning.

https://webmshare.com/ZjYgO

as for melee weapons, if you took the -crit +damage trait, you'll probably want to stick with Oh Baby! for most of the game. Chance's Knife has absurd DPS, but that's only if you stack crits like a madman, and get 275% crit damage or however much you get with Better Criticals + Elijah's Ramblings + Just Lucky I'm Alive.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

aniviron posted:

Wow you guys are terrible at spelling Industrial Hand.

I forgot the Industrial Hand because it's too OP to exist

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Wingnut Ninja posted:

No. Melee combat is loving awful. Sneaking feels pretty much the same. You can equip pieces of armor that improve your stealthiness, but that's about the only big change.

melee in FO4 is frustrating as gently caress if you're not willing to use VATS, because every raider can just parry a rocket powered sledgehammer with his bare hands.

But if you go the Naruto route, grab a combat knife and teleport to each enemy and instakill it from stealth, then it's quite powerful.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

physeter posted:

After multiple attempts to get a heavily-modded FNV to run on a beefy Win 10 machine, I'm about to lose my poo poo. Everything is fine except for the music, which is stuttering/skipping and popping like crazy. Both radio songs and ambient music, sometimes even the music on the main menu. Sometimes it happens quick, sometimes it doesn't happen until 5-10 minutes into a session.

I decided to try a straight vanilla install to see what would happen, and the stuttering continued, which leads me to believe this is a Windows 10 problem. I've tried every solution I could google, including verification of game files, downloading new codecs, and changing the .ini files. Nothing is working. That dreaded audio cancer slips in somewhere just after Johnny Guitar.

Has anyone dealt with this? I'm about to conclude that FNV and Windows 10 just aren't meant to be together.

If you ever manage to fix that bug, I hope you don't end up with the "mouse doesn't work on pip boy" W10 bug. That's a fun one.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
WFO is pretty neat, but the quality on the vegetation varies a bit.
It also gets a bit harder to know what plants you can get stuff from for crafting, and that's annoying since I'm one of the five people that actually likes doing that.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Perfect Potato posted:

Running a melee build in F4 and a random raider dropped a Relentless Super Sledge while I had 6 perk points stacked up, so I guess I'm a maxed luck build now

Also reminded of how annoying the perk system can be when you have to basically invest 20-30 levels in perk taxes just to get stuff like basic settlement functionality

melee builds in FO4 are hilariously busted, but only if you use VATS all the time to ignore blocks. Strength continuously scales melee damage and you can spam drugs(which are easy to make and can be made to last a really long time) to get insane strength stats.

With stats like these you don't even need an AP hungry weapon like a super sledge. Get a regular combat knife and just teleport around the map instakilling everything.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Acerbatus posted:

I can't tell if you're loving with me or not.

He isn't. Older CRPGs are just a mess of mechanics that really make no sense in hindsight. There's most likely a mod somewhere to make them always level at specific times.

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

I've never been able to bring companions anywhere but that front lobby of the oil rig without them being murked. But then again, I'm bad at videogames, so whatever.

Not sure how much your own gamer skills matter when you barely have any control of them besides telling them "please don't loving shoot me to pieces". The Oil Rig is brutal even with a minmaxed build, and your companions definitely do not have a minmaxed build ever.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

CommissarMega posted:

Man, as boring as FO4 can get, Nuka-World is still strangely fun, at least for me.

Nuka World tosses all pretense aside and revels in what Bethesda is good at. Stupid dumb plots laid out over a surprisingly well crafted world despite lacking cohesion. It was always meant to be a theme park.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
one thing that I forgot about New Vegas(and FO3) is how the weapon hitboxes are incredibly large and pretty much work as a shield until you manage to break them. Dozens of times I've lined up a headshot only for the bullet to instead obliterate the varmint rifle my target had holstered. Kind of annoying.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

kingturnip posted:

Sucks to be the rube playing on console.
The PC Gaming Masterrace are going all headshots, all the time and other than missile launchers, there isn't a gun that's getting in the way of a headshot.

I guess if you're enough of a scrub to be playing on console, you can console yourself to the fact that that Viper Raider isn't going to be using his Varmint Rifle. He'll probably pick up the Marksmen Carbine from the dude you killed standing next to him instead.

I'm playing on PC bud
while it sometimes feels good to shoot a gun out of a raider's hand, 90% of the time I'd rather just blow his brains out instead.

Guess I should boot up the GECK and see if I can make a mod that removes guns as a target for regular shots entirely.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Steam stats show it goes NCR > Wild Card (these two are actually pretty close), and then a big Power Gap with Mr. House, and then finally the Legion ending is actually one of the rarest achievements in NV. I'd imagine it would be pretty similar, maybe Wild Card taking top spot but probably not by much again.

I mostly went NCR/House the first couple years I played the game, I'm doing an independent run for the first time.

I still think the game doesn't really present many downsides to going with Mr. House, he's obscenely competent compared to all the other faction leaders. I think the main thing that keeps people from going with him 100% is that he wants the Brotherhood gone and most players aren't ok with that. I'm kinda glad the peaceful option for that was cut before release.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Speaking of poor judgement, this sequence of events can only be explained by a brain tumor.

1. Courier is openly, murderously hostile to the Legion. They go on a loving rampage with Boone. They murder every legion named character and messenger. They destroy key legion strongholds for the NCR.

2. Caesar invites them to his fortress, giving his mark and forgiving all the poo poo you just did.

3. Rather than kill the courier on sight, he gives them back the platinum chip and asks them to use it to destroy the bunker.

4. Courier doesn't, of course, they upgrade that poo poo.

5. Caesar takes the Courier at their word, does not check up on it, and let's them leave once they've done their job instead of executing them.

6. The Courier then takes Boone over on the raft and goes on one final killing spree.

I always play like a triple agent and place some c4 explosives in cottonwood cove while I'm going there the first time. Then when I come back with Boone hours later I just pull a trigger and wipe out the place instantly.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

oh jay posted:

Pssh. Look at you with your fancy roof and four walls. When I use Goodsprings as homebase, I just cram everything in the dumpster next to Chet's.

my homebase is the recycle bin next to the gun runners. There's a vendor right next to it, a reloading bench, and with a short jog there's a campfire and a workbench(crimson caravan).

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

steinrokkan posted:

They made the bottles fat so they could make Nuka Cola shaped plastic shells to put around bottles of generic bottom shelf rum.

F76's release was a magical time.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
speaking of wild card/followers/freeside stuff, I think it's worth pointing out that there's a weird thing going on between the followers' ending slide and the King's.

If you complete King's Gambit and convince them to cease hostilities with the NCR and then go Wild Card, the ending slide says that Freeside becomes one of the more stable and safe areas in the region. At the same time, the Follower's slide say that the area gets even more chaotic and they're overwhelmed.

You can see this as a plain contradiction, but I like to imagine that initially Freeside was more chaotic, but the agitation died down over time.

waiting for ropekid to say that actually the king's slide was a mistake

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
speaking of high karma, I always end up being hitler's even more evil twin despite being the messiah to everyone around me, simply because I can't stop stealing from the NCR and Legion and I'm not fond of mass murdering fiends.

I end up always cheating my karma to neutral before the end of the game so Ron Perlman doesn't call me an rear end in a top hat.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

The Fiends literally murdered an entire vault of innocent people (Motor Runner), enslave, murder and eat women and children (Cook-Cook), kidnap local caravans for ransom to buy more drugs (Prisoners in Vault 3) and terrorize the local communities (Westside). How is there any sympathy for them?

Speaking of groups with questionable sympathy (Great Khans), according to the Fallout wiki, Captain Gilles at Bitter Springs Refugee Camp is supposed to be the Major in charge of the NCR operation that turned into the Bitter Springs Massacre? I don't think this is right, because both Major Dhatri and Boone describe the Major in charge as a male (Although the wiki claims that that was a mistake on their parts). I can't find any other in-game evidence for this claim, is the wiki just making stuff up?

I'm not being sympathetic to them, I just don't want to farm them for karma like I'm playing an MMO. I do Three Card Bounty, rescue Anders, kill Motor-runner, then it's hard to justify going back to fiend territory.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Ignorant Hick posted:

I'm doing a completionist run for the first time in years with an NCR cowboy build and yeah the dlc enemy scaling is atrocious. Hunting shotgun with long tube, 4/0 buck magnum, and the two shotgun perks has been my go to for dealing with that bullshit. I'm fast enough to backpedal forever from tunnelers but if one of the lonesome road deathclaws gets too close I have to pray I trigger the shotgun knockback. gently caress those couple of scripted encounters with them.

And Stay Back procs per pellet, so 4/0 Magnum has a lower chance, less pellets. Might be worth it to just rely on Shotgun Surgeon for DT and stick to regular magnum rounds(7 projectiles instead of 4) or coin shot(8 projectiles).

For a nearly guaranteed knockdown, go for the Big Boomer, since it fires both barrels at once. It's cowboy-ish enough.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

SkyeAuroline posted:

Does Ultimate actually convert the varmint rifle back to .22?

This made me read through the changelog for Ultimate a bit closer, have to xEdit some stuff out.

I do like how some of the smaller trash items are tweaked to be lighter, though. Makes it easier to actually craft stuff like doctor's bags.

quote:

The Brush Gun was designed to be an orthogonal progression from the Trail Carbine so it's nice to see people use the Trail Carbine for its distinctive features even after the Brush Gun/MS are available.

Most enemies in the game aren't bullet sponges, so there's really no need to go for full max DPS at all times, it's really a great thing about this game. Plus not having to repair a weapon every three shots like you have with the Brush Gun + hand loaded rounds is really helpful.

Speaking of fragile weapons, it's hilarious how quickly Elijah's LAER breaks down with max charge ammo. Really need to bind WRKs to a hotkey in order to use that thing semi-regularly.

Halser fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 10, 2021

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Raygereio posted:

Always choose aesthetic over numbers.

My main weapon is almost always the hunting shotgun, but I keep That Gun around with at least two different ammo types so I can keep switching and watching that reload animation while I'm walking around.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I never use revolvers after the early game, even when playing with Cowboy. I need that 3-5WG to carry scrap metal and wonderglue.

with this in mind, it's a bit of a shame there's no energy lever action/revolver weapon. It's silly as hell but I think it'd be fun to start out as a guns-based cowboy and then finish the game with much higher tech that's still for some reason cowboyish. It's why I like the Holorifle so much, being a pump action energy shotgun.

Halser fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 10, 2021

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Sadly I got the Faderator off a chest in Helios One so now the game is quite boring

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

The best VA in the game is House's reaction to you failing your barter check with him, and it apparently doesn't exist on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0iOXyWNGxc&t=32s

not sure man, him losing his poo poo like this is hard to beat

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Orange Crush Rush posted:

To my dying breath, I will forever remember the time Malcom decided to give me the run down on the Legend of the Star caps, right as I triggered the fight in NCRCF between the troopers and the Powder Gangers.
As soon as the conversation ended, a stick of dynamite went off and it ripped him in half.

the randomizer mod gave me a pretty nice spook.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcEne0wW_5U

Legion Stuff (TM)

Maybe I've just been missing it but feel like there are a lot more NV memes in the last few months.

The Frontier got people(including myself) to replay. NV Randomizer gave it another bump.

that Clanky guy has been pumping out some pretty funny videos pretty consistently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah Fish and Sergeant Teddy exist but the research thing is ???

just general conspiracy theory stuff.

DON'T RESEARCH THIS, THE SHI WILL KIDNAP YOU