Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Boogaleeboo posted:

Hand loaded .308, Christine's rifle, head shots. Add to that list "A fuckton of drugs" for Rawr, and the little freaks don't even get a chance to move at me. For added hilarity, hit them with like a .22 to get them mad, then blast them with the Flare Gun when they get close. Then kill them with a real weapon as they run in terror.

Rawr got stuck on a rock when I found him :shobon:

Then he got stuck on some bullets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Berk Berkly posted:

Honest Hearts was... not as good as it should have been honestly. They barely did anything with Joshua and the plot is sensible, but shallow. The REAL story in Honest Hearts isn't about Joshua though, it is about the backstory you find reading in all the caves and hidden areas that when put together is very :unsmith:

I went into Honest Hearts and the opening narration made it seem like it was sort of up for grabs whether he lived or died and like what happened to him would be something you would uncover during the course of the DLC and then it was literally, "let me take you to Joshua, the Burned Man," and then there he was, telling you what he wanted you to do. "Yup, still alive, ain't no thang." There was no mystery or subtlety to that aspect of it, and obviously that's sort of on me for reading what I read into it, but I really thought it was going to go in a much more interesting direction than it did.

Spoilers just in case.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

Honestly though, did anyone think Joshua was dead? If the plot went in that direction I think the player would have felt as if it was fairly condescending.

It's not that I necessarily thought he was dead, but this:

Yodzilla posted:

Then you actually get to Zion and you find out that Joshua is just some dude that everybody knows and just loving chills with them around the fire and the whole warlord aspect was completely nonexistent. Did they just record Jed's dialog before they were able to create all of the content?

pretty much sums it up. If he had been waging a one-man guerrilla war against the White Legs while Daniel urged peace it would have been way more interesting than what actually happened. There might have even been a question about if it was Joshua or someone just using the legend for extra intimidation. Instead it was, "yes, here is Joshua Graham, the Burned Man. Collect these three things.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

Xik posted:

I doubt very much a normal group of people would stand by each other and decide not to pick someone to sacrifice, especially when they believe that they will all die because of it.

But a normal group of people, who were in the kind of situation where they had to consistently choose one of their friends, family and neighbors to be killed, would almost certainly become the kind of people who would choose death over committing evil acts. After the first? No, they wouldn't make that decision. After the fifth, the tenth, the twentieth, after living the kind of suspicious, fearful, calculating life that would be? I absolutely believe "normal" people would get to that point.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

Mordaedil posted:

I only mean to imply that we are judging them based on our own societal creations as it stands. Such as things in past, we frown upon today, but back in those days, it was just how life was. Things changed, to suit a different life. Things will change later as well, and you might find that they frown upon society as it is today.

Very much likely that they will, in fact.

I would like to think that even if the earth is bombed to poo poo that we can still agree that rape camps are not something to be blase about.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's a good one to start with. There's also a sequel but some of the encounters get pretty lazy/cheap.

For me this described the first part, but your mileage may vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

DemonNick posted:

I didn't find Lonesome Road that bad because what Ulysses describes is basically a Fetch Quest that turns out to have huge effects on the community where it happened, and what's more Fallout than that? The Courier legit doesn't remember it because he or she does so much poo poo like that already, So the player not being attached to it makes sense. For the Courier, it was Tuesday.

And that really gets to the heart of what the Courier is. You go around the wasteland doing odd jobs and being this agent of powers that are greater than yourself. You do a lot of things, a lot of which aren't memorable, but they turn out to change the course of the war and of the history of the whole Southwest.

That was why the idea of having the past I wasn't a part of creating/experiencing didn't bother me so much in Lonesome Road, because it wasn't like it was a huge Nameless One history of stuff you did. You delivered a package, and to you that's all it was to you; Ulysses is the one who fills that act with meaning, and it's a meaning you can take or leave because it only has as much substance as you ultimately want it to have. I would have found it much more bothersome if the Courier had been some kind of military general or assassin or a second Caesar or something like that and you only found it out in Lonesome Road, but you're a Courier; it's not out of line to think that you may have once delivered something.