Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Xik posted:

At what point in the main quest is there a "point of no return"?

Specifically, where should I be saving so I can reload and continue exploring without having areas inaccessible because it would "finish" the game, or what journal entry should I stop at so I can continue to play the game fully without finishing it?

It'll pop up with a message box saying you need to commit to go forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Ddraig posted:

Dead Money made me paranoid as gently caress, which was a real problem when you've got hordes of near invincible ghost people coming after you and oh god my gun's out of ammo and Dog is nowhere around.

Getting to and from the belltower was one of the scariest, intense scenes in all of Fallout for me.

Three stealthboys.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

DaveWoo posted:

How the hell did you get three Stealth Boys in Dead Money?

I found them. :confused:

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

You mean a suit of Power Armor with a giant bear head shoulder-piece was your idea :allears:

According to the wiki it was a mod someone made on NVNexus that inspired it.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

Obsidian ARCANUM loving 2 confirmed. Fire up the hype machine.

Hold on here, we know which game series needs the sequel.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

That being said, the Deathclaws that you do encounter, particularly Rawr and the Irradiated Deathclaws, are loving murder machines. They level with you, so at 45 even a regular deathclaw's going to have 700 HP and deal 350 damage per attack.

SO THATS WHY they're destroying me. Goddamn.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Francois Kofko posted:

Worth noting that the only people from black isle are Avellone and Urquhart, so it's not really fair to say that 'the fallout people made new vegas'

ropekid was at black isle as well, he was project director on FNV.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Speedball posted:

Didn't the manual for Fallout 2 have a bunch of recipes in the back? Good times...

One of them did. The mushroom clouds were loving delicious.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

rope kid posted:

Tim Cain wrote those recipes. He has been bringing in cookies for the South Park team.

I hope Mushroom Clouds are coming. :shobon:

You'll get your mushroom clouds when you convince him to start work on Arcanum 2. :colbert:

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

These are mushroom clouds:

Survival Recipies posted:

Mushroom Clouds

(preheat oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit)
3-4 egg whites (at room temperature)
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup superfine sugar*
cocoa
8 oz dark chocolate
(bittersweet or semi-sweet)

Beat the eggs and tartar with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add the sugar a little at a time while continuing to beat, until all the sugar is in and the mixture is glossy and stiff.

Using a piping bag with a no. 8 tip, pipe out an equal number of caps and stems onto an ungreased non-stick cookie sheet. The caps should be about the diameter of a quarter, and the stems should be about an inch high and the diameter of a soda straw.

Sprinkle cocoa over the caps and stems, and then blow on them to spread out the cocoa more evenly. You may want to do this outside, as cocoa goes everywhere.

Bake for 2 hours at 200 degrees.

Carefully remove the caps and stems from the cookie sheet. With a dull knife, snip the top of each stem so it has a flat top surface.

Melt the chocolate (in a double boiler or microwave). Spread the chocolate on the base of each cap with a butter knife or spatula, and use it to glue a stem in place. Put the assembled mushrooms in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to harden the chocolate, then put them in an airtight container.

Makes 3-4 dozen.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

I figured they're putting Fallout into their rotation because making fantasy stuff cycle after cycle gets awful.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I'd really like to read a transcript, because most of the slides themselves don't provide enough context of the talk.

Also, rope kid is a sexist pig confirmed:

That bearded guy is everything I've ever wanted in a protagonist in a video game.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Naky posted:

Dusty from Medal of Honour does indeed have the look right down. You can get a face mask of him for FNV to wear as a mod, but the lips obviously don't animate and you won't find it on Nexus since it's a rip of commercial assets.

Oh, didn't know hes an MoH guy. At least I know who that picture is of now.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

Go and play Alpha Protocol. :colbert:

I did start it a while ago. I will keep playing it.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Police Automaton posted:

..maybe

There's also no way to really lose FO1 or FO2, like with most games of that era though, when you just start out you will keep getting hosed over until you understand how the game works. I'd advise picking whatever stats or skills you want your char to have, as it will reflect some gameplay decisions you can make (less so in FO1, more of that in FO2) also as somebody said already, run away from random encounters, at least in the beginning, there's no penalty to it and often it's the only way.

Also don't approach the game with modern ideas about what companions are, the ones in the game won't live for long and trying to keep them alive will be nothing but a frustrating exercise in futility.

I'm confused by all of this. FO1 had a bunch of timelimits that made you lose if you took too long (in at least 2 ways), and the companions in both games were more than capable of staying alive and are crazy good.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

This guy has never given Sulik an SMG...

Super sledge and combat armor :v:

Police Automaton posted:

I should've been clearer. You can't really "lose" by making a char so badly skilled that he's unable to survive. You can lose the game, you also can always get killed. If you follow the story somewhat though, it's pretty difficult to gently caress up at least the first time limit the game throws at you, the other one is a slightly different story.

Also my companion comment was only directed at this game, Fallout 1. The companions were poo poo there and later encounters would leave them severly out-equipped and out-leveled in every way. They usually don't survive.

Alright, yeah I get what you mean then.

I honestly never had any problems keeping companions alive, Ian was a huge jerk with his SMG but besides that Dogmeat owned in every way possible.

Rinkles posted:

The bigger problem was staying alive yourself. In this year's GDC Tim Cain did a retrospective on Fallout's development, according to which companions were coded in a day (or in some similarly ridiculously short period of time) on a whim, and with no added scripting. There was effectively no companion AI. This results in a lot of friendly fire, some from your careless followers, some directed at that motherfucker Ian. This isn't really an issue in FO2.

And yeah, time limits can be a bitch the first time through when you don't know the world well enough. Cain actually wasn't a fan of the mechanic. According to him the whole developmental team was split on the issue, but it remained in the game in the end.

Yeah ensuring my survival was more of a problem than my companions. I was usually melee or rifles and everyone targets me :(

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Fallout 2 is to this day still my favorite game of all time, and I wasted so much time in college playing an outdated game (it was outdated when I was in college 10 years ago).

But I always loved this part of the game. I would honestly pick up and carry anything I found to the point where it was stupid. One of my favorite memories was when my college roommate wanted me to get this awesome gun and I was like, "drat! It's too heavy. I'll need to unload some stuff." We went through my inventory and he was like, "Why are you carrying 50 rocks?" I just looked at him like he was crazy. "For throwing at the children. For throwing...at the children."

My friend and I used (location spoilers?) Vault 13 as a storage place. We had so many jimmy caps.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

rope kid posted:

In Skyrim (as far as I can tell) no one needs to actually witness you doing something. I've stolen/killed folks with no witnesses and had bounty hunters/assassins come after me.

Can't chickens count as witnesses or was that killing them upset towns?

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Both. rope kid was talking about "hired thugs", which uses a different routine from the one we refer as the witness system, i.e. it depends on if the NPC has a scripted flag for something to happen after s/he's dead and your influence in said death.

Ah okay, so its just a "your notoriety brings in bounty hunters" type thing. I've always played a goody two shoes so I never encountered that.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

rope kid posted:

Or in my case, I shot a guy from 100 yards away in a forest and he dropped dead on the spot. Hours later: bounty hunters.

But you left trace evidence at the scene and the investigation is happening in real time its so immersive.

CSI: Skyrim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

RagingBoner posted:

BTW, I'm preparing for the coming nuclear war with North Korea:

That should last me a while, I think.

I have a bowl full of bottle caps in my apartment. I counted them out (was around 200) and silently figured out how much space the 35,000 caps my NV character was carrying take up. Including ammo, I now can't think of him without having a town sized backpack on his back.