Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Does anybody have any tips or tricks on how to approach playing the game while taking advantage of the Cowboy perk? I'm going to do a fresh play through while taking my time and absorbing as much plot as possible, and figure being a Cowboy Courier would fit with all the imagery in the game very well. Which Cowboy weapons are good for what situations? And are there any addons that add more weapons to that list that are well balanced?

Gonna be very honest here, a lot of why I wanna do the Cowboy theme is so I can use That Gun in most situations and pretend it's the Big Iron on my hip. Big Iron on my hiiiiiiiiii~iiiiiiiiiip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Kharmakazy posted:

I'd recommend getting the signature weapon and armor mods so you can wear very little armor and still be not instantly killed and use cowboyish weapon long past when they are generally useful.

One of the goons in the mods thread has a lot of poo poo based around looking like a cowboy. Cigar in the mouth and I think a clint eastwood poncho...

All of this sounds like a great idea, especially the Clint Eastwood poncho. I have the Signature Armor mod, I can't imagine why I didn't think to grab the Signature Weapon mod, though!

And yeah, I'm planning on using other weapons when situationally appropriate, like the Sniper Rifle. Now that I'm thinking about it, I might just skip the cowboy weapon part and use that .45 pistol everybody's raving about from Honest Hearts. I like that DLC anyway, plus a post apoc Cowboy would probably be using modern weapons anywho.

Also, it would seem That Gun is NOT effected by the Cowboy perk so screw it.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

Actually, it is. However, it isn't affected by The Professional.

It isn't a holdout weapon, though that's fixable with mods. Or by murdering anyone who tries to take it away from you.

I'll have to double-check what I found when I get home but it was posted in March 2012 and indicated the Wiki was wrong on this one and hasn't updated for some reason. It had a screenshot of the Cowboy perk pulled up in GECK that showed That Gun was still missing from the list of effected weapons, even though the GRA 5.56 Pistol was.

Granted, that doesn't matter since it'd all be fixable by mods anywho.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

To be fair to McNamara, there's a major difference between "Armed and angry locals that may fire on sight" and "Armed and angry locals that may fire on sight with Pre-War artillery."

As an aside, I think that everyone can agree that Obsidian did a hell of a job writing for the Mojave Chapter of the Brotherhood of Steel. I tend to sympathize with them and support McNamara, you supported Hardin, others just blow them to kingdom come, and all of these actions are completely valid depending on your character and their interactions with the BoS. Man, I cannot get enough of this game, even two years after release. :allears:

He's just got premature baldness (It's been a while since I played that part of the game and for some reason I thought he was younger than he was :saddowns:)

I worked with them and supported McNamara, too. Or at least, I supported him UNTIL I helped Veronica figure out here place with them. I grew frustrated at them being dumb about the whole thing and encouraged her to leave and get with the Followers, probably my favorite faction in the Wasteland for being awesome people.

And then some Brotherhood Knights came by and shot up the Followers chapter by 188 that Veronica was going to work with. Shortly after that event, House told me to go take care of them, and I was glad for the opportunity to do them in for the crap they put my buddy through. And, you know, for murdering a bunch of awesome doctors because god forbid they get to use advanced medical technology! They might HELP people!

So yeah, this game is well written.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Blargh! Anybody know why the GRA Special Ammo won't work with their appropriate guns? I've got a riot shotgun and a boatload of 12g Pulse Slugs for Old Word Blues but I can't use them. They're greyed out in the Ammo Menu, and when I cycle it only picks between the Standard, Coin shot and Standard Slug rounds.

The only weapon mod I'm running is GRA and jsawyer.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

Wait, what?

Ok, I think we have different ideas that are way too alien from each other for us to see eye-to-eye on this. Personally, I believe exploration is just that, exploring the wasteland to see what's there. If I have to know the placements of the Deathclaws and Cazadores in order to get through safely, that's not exploring, that's exploiting previous knowledge to sequence break. (Opinion, obviously.)

Except you don't NEED any previous game knowledge to pull it off. The towns folk will keep telling you "Don't go north, the Cazadores and Deathclaws will murder you." You can easily figure out where they are just by taking it slow, sticking to high ground and keeping an eye out.

Hell, my first time going into that stretch of New Vegas was on a brand new character sneaking by. The only advice I had was "Bring a Stealth Boy" and that is easy to figure out. It is a VERY reasonable gateway for exploration, which is nice. Sorta like avoiding the mountain in Morrowind until you're a higher level.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

Well I thought those clues also help out in providing proof of what Benny did?

They do! You can collect physical evidence along the way and use it to convince Benny's second in command that he's up to no good. Then you can convince his #2 to give you your weapons back and set up some alone time between you and Benny in his room.

Off the topic of the Deathclaw plot wall, I just got into Dead Money for the first time. I'm doing it on a cowboy build (Focusing on Guns, Speech and Survival, mostly) and I gotta say I am LOVING it. It's forcing me to scrounge and be careful, but it's never terribly cheap with its difficulty.

It probably helps that the Police Pistol gets a big bonus from the Cowboy Perk, but still; I've just launched the Gala, I have next to nothing for health items and I'm running low on Ammo. I'm run completely ragged but I'm so excited about figuring out how I'm going to go ahead. I think I'm gonna start stocking up on cloud kiss poison and throwing spears.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I like to slow-walk sometimes when it seems appropriate to do so. You know, like approaching Caesar for the first time or walking on to the Strip. It's great, it can really magnify that sense of dread or wonder with what you're getting in to. Like today when I decided it was time to go do the Old World Blues, and started my slow approach to the downed satellite projecting a gigantic creepy eye on the big screen.

Then 3AM rolled around and the drat thing shut off. :negative:

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

OldMemes posted:

Installing the Omertas however, was a very, very bad idea - wasn't there a cut quest where they try and take over all the Strip by force? I can't understand House wanted to emulate the sleazy side of Vegas, but the Omertas are downright evil - I'm sure he could have found a better tribe for that role. Giving a base of operations right next to yours seems like a bad move if you can't trust them too. :v:

The Omertas are dangerous, and I think they're dangerous enough that even if House DID drive them off, they'd be able to pull something from the Wastes. It wouldn't be as elaborate or low-key as what they were doing in the game, but it'd be a wild-card he'd have to deal with at a potentially inopportune time. At least with the current arrangement he can monitor and effectively respond, as he did by sending you in.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Well, I finally beat the game. Not that I haven't played it extensively, I just never bothered to go until the very, VERY end. I've had a few times where I got to just before the hoover dam fight but I always got sidetracked until I started playing something else, so this is a dumb accomplishment for me. I had a cowboy lead New Vegas to independence, forced both leaders to walk away with their tail between their legs. Although I have to say about one of the endings I'm pretty sad with how Freeside turned out. I've always had a soft spot for the poor sots just trying to live in and around New Vegas, so hearing that an independent New Vegas brought so much bloodshed to them just... Well, that sucks, yo. :(

I think I may play again as an NCR Heavy Energy guy who only loves two things: Shooting Lasers and Patriotism. I'm gonna call him Jake Steel, since that seems like a good Zap Brannigan-esque name.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I don't think any of the helmets are faction specific, considering that I've worn NCR Trooper helmets plenty of times without triggering the NCR Disguise flag.

Also if he's going to wear any helmet it's gotta to be the doghat from Vulpes, c'mon.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You aren't Courier six. Ulysses is.

No, you're Courier Six. Remember, Ulysses told Nash "Let Courier Six take it" like the Mojave'd sort you out.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

And Doctor 0 is voiced by James Urbaniak (Dr Venture)! I somehow didn't make that connection 'til half way through the DLC.

Oh man, I clued in on that right away and it got me pumped as all get out. I kinda liked how Dr. 0 was just a more flamboyant and (somehow) less competent Dr. Venture without the stimulant addiction.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Daktar posted:

Sorry the fun thing broke your immersion, I guess. I don't see you complaining about the perfectly functional robots still wandering the wastes after 200 years, though. They run on the same power source as the cars.

I'm not even sure why we're complaining about the presence of Nuclear powered cars. If I remember the Fallout Bible correctly, they only came to the public a short few years to a decade before the Bombs fell, in the midst of the war. In fact I believe the wide-spread adoption of the atomic-powered cars in the US was an instigating factor towards the end, as China felt it meant the US was holding on to oil it didn't need.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

This is the most badass way.

Usually I don't kill Vulpes at Nipton and I hold back on Caesar until I know I've taken care of other story requirements at that point and don't mind getting lit up by assassins for the remainder of the game. I've fought at Nipton once, though, it took me a reload from a save but I did it just with a well-repaired Cowboy Repeater and the free 5.56 AP rounds you get for doing a quest at the Mojave Outpost.

The first time I beat it was with a sneak-attack service rifle using the stealth boy you get from the Powder Gangers (I always save those things) and followed it with a ton of grenades to clear the rest. I never thought of doing mines, though. I'll have to try that next time!

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Mushball posted:

I can't seem to load GRA ammo like 4/0 buck shells into my hunting shotgun for some reason. The ammo is greyed out when I scroll over it in the ammo menu with the shotgun equipped and it never loads when I hit the cycle ammo type key.

I was experiencing this problem for a long time, and it turned out that another mod I had for infinite companion ammo across all weapons is what broke it. Check and see if you have any mods installed that might change the tables that assign what ammo you can put into what gun, as that's likely the culprit.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Well, that and it wasn't a school but a security testing ground modeled to look like a school. I had figured it was a vault, or maybe some crazy guy coralled a bunch of kids into a ruined school and imprisoned them there.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Oh god, the Think Tank. I know they're horrible, evil things by and large, but I can't kill them. They're too funny.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

OldMemes posted:

If a postman can do it after waking up from a brain injury and the clothes on their back, it's not that hard. Just salvage stuff and sell it. Obviously there are non-rich people on the strip - there can't be enough barons for all those gamblers to be one.

This side-stepst he fact that the Courier is portrayed as an exceptional individual even fromt he get-go, so of course s/he can make way more money than anybody else.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Also they can't be THAT precariously balanced on that one wheel, given that they've the stability to launch a salvo of rockets without needing to do anything more than pull their arms up. And not (immediately) fall over when hit with a giant hunk of rebar.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Weren't a couple of the characters in the Bunker in their mid-teens at oldest? I remember a lot of dialogue being payed to how the girl was the teacher's pet in a gross, "We won't outright say he's a pedophile" kind of way.

EDIT: drat, all this talking about New VEgas makes me want to start it up again. This time I think I'll may a 3 int failure, go the Wild Card route and try to do as much damage tot he Mojave as possible before leaving to pop mentats with my brain and Dr. Mobious until the end of time. I imagine the things Yes Man has to say will be glorious.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 13, 2013

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

So how many of us are re-installing the game now because of this recent convo?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Crigit posted:

Why on Earth would you ever uninstall this game?

So I could pull myself away from this game long enough to play something else, duh. :v:

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Sheen Sheen posted:

I didn't mean to imply that he had the power to stop the war, or to save all the innocent people in the world, or even a fraction of them. I just wanted to point out that he seemingly had the power to save a larger number of innocent lives than he did, but instead he chose to save himself because he believes himself to be some kind of Jesus-like figure. I don't know about you guys, but when I think of Jesus-like qualities, I don't immediately think of the guy who (presumably) helped design Liberty Prime.

That's still not true, though. Obviously he was out to save himself, but he really did LOVE Las Vegas and wanted to save as much of it as he could. Perhaps only for the sake of his idealized vision of what Las Vegas is (re: Snow Globes), but he still tried to save it all and only succeeded in saving the main strip.

As for your edited point, that's still pretty fair, although I'd argue that you'd be hard pressed to find ANYBODY capable of building the means to stop a city from being destroyed in atomic hellfire that wouldn't save their home city. "Sorry place I grew up in and loved all my life, but objectively thiso ther city over here is more valuable."

Also, on further reflection, he also saved the Hoover Dam and a huge resevoir of fresh drinking water. I'd say that WOULD put Las Vegas on pretty high on the list of "Places to consider saving from atomic hellfire."

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 14, 2013

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

YggiDee posted:

God help me, I'm reinstalling New Vegas too. I keep drifting back to Guns/Speech/Science, time to shake things up a bit. Is there a big difference in Unarmed vs Melee, or should I be taking both?

From what I understand, Unarmed benefits a lot from stacking Critical Hit Chance and Damage bonuses, while Melee gains little from Crit and is just good at dealing big whomps of damage.

The real question you should be asking is if you want to kill people with a bear claw/shotgun strapped to your first or if you wanna beat people to death with a gigantic antennae.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Boogle posted:

You would think that after putting several hit teams into the ground that Caesar would learn to stop throwing them into the meat grinder.

Ah, shoot. Now I wanna tick off Caesar, and I was planning on going at least far enough to do something completley crippling to them and the NCR before going forward with my "Ruin EVERYTHING in the Mojave" playthrough.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Palisader posted:

Yeah, exactly. They weren't perfect of course, and overall I love NV far more than I loved FO3 in pretty much every respect, but I was far more excited to find Vaults in FO3 than I am in NV.

Or maybe I'm just sore because I just trudged through Vault 34 for a good hour because I couldn't figure the loving map out. I hate that Vault.

Oof, tell me about it. That place is a confusing maze, but after muddling around in there for ages the layout is just about burned into my brain. I can navigate it like a breeze. Which is great because getting the EMP gun in there makes Old World Blues something of a joke.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

El_Elegante posted:

Please don't, I dug up the video because of this post and it's fifteen minutes wasted when the single sentence "the Mojave feels fleshed out and the DC wasteland doesn't" gets the same point across.

There's a lot of people that don't really realize this that would certainly benefit from having it explained in detail. That said I think inventing hte word "Shandification" is stupid when "Good World Building" is a term that already exists.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

Which is worse, Cazadores or Cliff Racers?

As somebody who took a break from playing New Vegas a ton to do a vanilla run of Morrowind (graphics overhaul aside), DEFINITELY Cliff Racers.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Huh. It just dawned on me that the Platinum Chip is simply a stylized Hard Drive, and likely the first (maybe even only?) one ever made in the Fallout Universe.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Crigit posted:

And then he instructs you to straight up murder the local brotherhood of steel, and will not for one second consider dealing with them peacefully. My first run was Mr. House all the way until he absolutely refused to even consider negotiating with them. After that, choosing between killing a visionary but tyrannical old man or killing a whole town's worth of people wasn't very hard.

It's funny, during my House playthrough, I had completed Veronica's quest just before he called on me to go pay a 'visit' to the Brotherhood of Steel and opted to convince her to leave them. Which, of course, leads to them butchering an outpost of Followers doctors simply because she applied for an interview in order to 'protect their secrets,' showing that even though she's no longer one of them she will be followed by them like a bloodthirsty shadow. And that they'd kill doctors on the suspicion that they might use their tech for anything.

It made that decision a whole lot easier.

EDIT: and yeah, given what we know about the Brotherhood and their mission, there's no way negotiations would end peaceably without requireing House to surrender all of his advanced tech, which is pretty much everything House has and is. I can understand why he'd conclude it would only end with a fight.

EDIT2: You know, I actually kind of wish there may have been a third faction in the Brotherhood aside from Hardin and McNamera interested in abandoning the old code and just quietly dissolving into the Mojave's people, sort of the way the Enclave Remnants did as a means to end the Brotherhood in the Mojave with minimal bloodshed.

I say "Minimal" because there's no way Hardin/MacNamera would allow that while they're alive.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 7, 2013

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

Is that really the case, though? They both rely on technology to project power, they both have to look outward for key resources because they have no native capacity to produce them (food for the Brotherhood, money for House,) they both have a decidedly anti-democratic attitude toward social progress. It's more of an unstoppable force/immovable object thing, House can't fulfill his plans without what he sees as the certitude of the Brotherhood resisting.

I think what he means by "Everything that House is" he means not just his ideals but also the advanced technology that keeps him alive. I wouldn't put it past the Brotherhood to decide he should be deprived of that because of their code.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Stroth posted:

No it isn't. Mostly because they wouldn't have so many enemies if their first reaction to meeting someone new wasn't 'strap an explosive slave collar to him and go from there'.

Or "Send this guy on a suicidal mission to an irradiated hole in the ground to get him to stop bothering me."

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

And even if they didn't go out of their way to make everyone their enemy, they do pretty much nothing to make friends. As much as they claim to be in it for the greater good, they're pretty much entirely selfish.

Veronica half-heartedly jokes that their plan is to round up all of the advanced technology and just wait for everybody else to die out, then inherit the earth. If I remember Fallout 1 correctly, that's more or less exactly the plan.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Bilal posted:

All other storage in the Fallout universe is tape storage, and according to the Brotherhood scribe in Fallout 1, holodiscs have a 4 TB capacity. So whatever the chip is made out of, it must be some dense poo poo to be able to store an operating system for Securitrons in addition to a missile defense system in that amount of space.

Of course it's got some crazy high capacity design, it's Fallout. Everythings suped-up past their real-life counterpart's capabilities for FUTURE! and SCIENCE! related reasons.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

Now the Fallout 1 Brotherhood, man, what dicks. "Uh, for admission...*tee hee*...er, go south and discover the mysterrrrrrrious treasure! It's buried roughly where that gajillion rad smoking crater is."

And then Rhombus is just an rear end.

Yeah, the original Brotherhood were still a bunch of isolationist dicks. Hell, they were probably even bigger isolationist dicks than the Mojave branch were in New Vegas because they were right in their prime and hands down one the most dangerous force in the Wastes aside from the new Super Mutant army. The Mojave branch has a decades of getting their pants kicked in by the NCR to remind them that they're done nothing but steadily fail their primary mission.

The only reason you were let in is because their attempt to get you to kill yourself didn't work, and you recovered some important stuff for them in the process.

EDIT: I think the reason why a lot of people were so pumped up for the Brotherhood during Fallout 1 (myself inlcuded) is because, at the time, we didn't really have a chance to see them applying their NO TECH principles on the decent people of the wastes. Most of the time they come into play when you're working on confronting the Master's Army, which is something they're working on too, so you have a pretty comfortable 'Enemy Of My Enemy' thing going on to smooththe whole process.

I'm actually gonna go play through Fallout 1 and 2 again now that I think about it and really pay attention to the NCR and Brotherhood. I wanna see if I"m right that the old Brotherhood were the same dicks as the Mojave brotherhood, only that they hadn't really gotten around to being huge dicks yet.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 22, 2013

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

2house2fly posted:

I found Melee to be so effective for the most part that I'd occasionally check to see that I hadn't accidentally set the game to Easy. Of course I kept a few ranged weapons handy for cazadores and Deathclaws right enough; strictly Melee could get reeeeal hard under the right circumstances.

Also, the end of Tactics involves sacrificing yourself and I guess some kind of robotic overlord? So Fallout 3 didn't just yank plot points and factions wholesale from the first two games, they did it from Tactics too?! The Offically Non Canon one?

At the end of Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel, you find the big computer that controls all of the robots has a number of human brains-in-jars as part of it, all of which have become corrupted with power or useless with insanity; I can't remember exactly which. Anywho, one of the ending options is to fix everything by putting your brain in and taking things over.

Fun Fact! The "Good Ending" of Fallout Tactics involves killing said brains and replacing them with your own Good Guy brain, but killing the brains-in-jars gives negative karma so if you were like me and did a few questionable things while mostly being a good guy, you'd end up with the "Become an Evil Overlord" ending! Hooray!

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Dodecalypse posted:

So I'm using the shotgun Dinner Bell, and I'm getting this issue with my ammo types:

I can only select the one lit up manually or even through cycling by pressing '2'. Am I missing something that happened?

I think I'm getting the same issue with not being able to use explosive .50 rounds either.

I remember running into this problem when I used the Unlimited Companion Ammo mod, which does mod every ammo list in the game and made GRA cranky. Removing it fixed it right away.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Am I the only one that thinks Jury Rigging is a wasted perk, considering how many Weapon Repair Kits you can make upon getting Repair to 50? I mean the materials to make them are EVERYWHERE! Not to mention some of the dealers will sell 10 of any given Weapon Repair Kit material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Because it's bad to have an RPG system with useless skills in it.

Same reason why you can't use bombs to open safes- because if you have two skills, one of which is "open locks", and the other one being "blow things up, and open locks", why would you ever choose the first one?

Because the second carries the very real risk of damaging the goods behind the locks. Or at least, it does with competent game design. I belive KOTOR 2 did that.