Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Ultimate irony: The Mysterious Stranger turning up to take out The Lonesome Drifter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

rope kid posted:

Really wish we had time to hard code that so the Mysterious Stranger would kill you.

That would be a pretty great easter egg. Now I want someone to make a mod that does this :(

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Muggy as a companion would be fantastic. No idea how Toaster would work, though. Maybe you could carry him in your inventory and he'd make smart rear end remarks and offer motivational support?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The best song is obviously Goin' Under

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'd probably say New Vegas is my favourite Fallout game, simply because of the level of immersion. In the iso fallouts, it was bad when you run across some deathclaws. Now when you're exploring and you see a pack of something running towards you then when you look with your binoculars it's some deathclaws there's a definite "Holy gently caress!" moment. Especially when they pounce on your companions, rip them to shreds and you have to try to book it out of there because your weapon's hosed up and you've got no explosives.

And it wouldn't have been possible without FO3, so it has that going for it. Plus all things considered Fallout 3 was actually a pretty decent game.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's pretty amazing there is still stuff I can find in this game that I haven't seen before. I was doing the New Vegas Bounties (mod), where I was sent up to take down some dude in a ranch at the very north of the map. I'm walking there with Boone and ED-E and all of a sudden I see a huge alien spaceship. I was pretty amazed then I noticed three aliens who promptly vaporized me

Think I'll be avoiding that area for a while :(

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Kill Elijah, gib his body. Grab all the gold, transfer it to his corpse, pick an eyeball (press Z), run to exit, loot eyeball for approximately 2 tons of gold, escape, crawl to exit/mojave, hope you got the fast travel while overburdened perk!

This is far more funny than it has any right to be.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I know this isn't the modding thread, but I'd really like to recommend New Vegas Bounties. It's a pretty fun mod that basically has you go around and kill a bunch of people that may or may not be thinly veiled pop culture references. The ending is a bit jarring, but it's a fun quest with a bunch of amazing rewards throughout.

The revolver is loving insane. Combined with the signature weapons mod this is definitely going to break the game in a rather fun way.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The weapons are definitely a bit on the overpowered side of things. A lot of the bounties are rather difficult, though. Plus you get a pretty sweet costume from one of them.

"Confirmed Bachelor" is a euphemism for being gay. Take a closer look at the perk icon.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So, um, Davison is real happy to see me I guess.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Dead Money is probably my favourite DLC next to Honest Hearts. Haven't played LR yet, but OWB was annoying as I felt it suffered from Mothership Zeta syndrome in that all the enemies were incredibly annoying to fight and huge bullet sponges.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Dead Money made me paranoid as gently caress, which was a real problem when you've got hordes of near invincible ghost people coming after you and oh god my gun's out of ammo and Dog is nowhere around.

Getting to and from the belltower was one of the scariest, intense scenes in all of Fallout for me.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm saddened that there's no Nuclear Anomaly perk in New Vegas. I used to love running around as the Hulk. Nerd rage, highly irradiated (with that perk that lets you grow limbs back) and nuclear anomaly. Whenever I got below a certain health level, I would explode and take everyone else out with me then beat them to death with my nerd rage fists.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Not if you're a dude :quagmire:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
New Vegas can be very pretty when you add the right stuff.

House never looked so good.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Heh, I'm still impressed by the level of detail they put into this game. I just for the first time lured Benny up into his suite and blew his head off. Far less cruel, but much more satisfying, than leaving him to Caesar

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Upmarket Mango posted:

He loves Arcanum but was confused by New Vegas five minutes in.

How...

:psyduck:

Seriously, in the first five minutes you're basically talking to doc mitchell and exploring the very, very small town.

If you're confused by that then god help you.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If you're going with shotguns shotgun surgeon/stay back are essential. You also need to download that mod that lets you use cigarettes and cigars because :clint:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Nevada Bounties also adds a bunch of new shotguns. One is "The Equalizer" that's a double barrel shotgun that kicks rear end.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's really weird how the DLC areas work. You'd think that the more powerful you get the easier they'd be but they scale all the enemies to your enemy, so when you go there as a level 30+ powerhouse all the enemies are bulletsponges.

Check out this let's play of Dead Money, for example. He literally goes in at practically level 1 and all the enemies die incredibly quickly. They wouldn't go down that quickly when I did it :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8R9VeHG0qc

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Jerusalem posted:

I assume I'm supposed to choose between these two and I can't complete the first quest if I start up the second one? But if I complete the first one The House Always Wins I does it automatically cut me off from the Wild Card questline? Or can I complete the first then move on to the alternate questline?

This is an incorrect assumption. In New Vegas you can play off everyone against each other. You can still do quests for House in order to further your own agenda.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I wouldn't call the Legion evil. Caesar is a very, very smart man that decided that the current faction's ways of doing things weren't really productive to the rebuilding of society. As well-intentioned as the Followers are, they very rarely actually get anything done. The Legion may crack a few eggs, but if you want to make an omelette that's what you need to do.

Take that one dude in Helios One. He knows there's a huge secret about it, and he has the means and the ability to find out what it is, but he doesn't do anything because he's just a passive observer.

e: As an aside, I love how having high luck completely breaks the blackjack games.

Queen and a 10? Double down on that motherfucker :smug:

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 1, 2011

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
They should contact the unions to get enough workforce to rebuild their apocalyptic hellhole into something a bit better, obviously.

e: And really, the portion of the Legion we see in New Vegas is literally the tip of the spear. They're the invasion force, so they're obviously going to be as brutal as they need to be to get the point across that you either join Caesar or you become another Nipton. There's very little information about their actual territory and how they govern it. I think the most anyone really knows is that it's far more secure and stable than most other places.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 1, 2011

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Sam. posted:

Caesar is really stupid. He was sitting right on top of a bunker containing an entire robot army, no strings attached, and he turned it down because (paraphrasing here) "machines are for wimps".

I imagine the Legion, what with its very old-fashioned views of honour and morality, would consider using a robot army for their own purposes both unnecessary and cowardly.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
When you complete Anchorage you get a suit that blows the living poo poo out of the OWB stealth suit, though.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Plus it makes it easier to identify. I always used to get the regular and modding thread mixed up because of the "witty" titles.

I'm not really a fan of witty titles in general, it just makes poo poo harder to find.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Fallout: Detroit.

They could do an exact 1:1 replica and it would be perfect.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's absolutely no reason at all to have the Legion's women anywhere near the frontlines (which their camp in the mojave is). Far too much risk.

It's pretty much guaranteed that all the slaves in the camp are people who were captured and refused to cooperate or they had no other use for.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
You know what this game needs? A captive bolt gun.

Chigurh will live on. Plus it would be a neat way to open locks.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
You can tell the game was designed with the DLC in mind. A lot of the key characters of the DLC are mentioned rather prominently in the main game.

The DLC also adds a lot of backstory to some of the more weird aspects of the Mojave (OWB in particular)

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Guns are superior, obviously. If only because of This Machine. I love that reference.

e: Playing through Dead Money again, it has one of my favourite little details ever. When you meet Dean in the theatre he tells you to go out a certain exit quickly. If you don't have high enough intelligence you will get killed because he's referring to the direction relative to him, not to you. If you do have a high enough intelligence you get the option to say "Your left or my left?" and he laughs and says his left. "Almost got you killed, there!"

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 4, 2011

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
This play through I killed all the BoS with my shotgun, turned all the turrets against them, then set the self-destruct sequence on.

Walking out of the bunker and hearing it explode behind me was pretty cool. Too bad there isn't an option to light a cigar and walk slowly away into the sunset.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The obvious solution for people who use the low-health weapons is to take Raul as he's the best companion next to Boone, and ED-E with his LR upgrades.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Raul's a ghoul, man. Nothing can phase him.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The Chainsaw is a pretty cool new weapon. It completely ignores DR/DT, and has a huge damage and "fire" rate.

You can hack up deathclaws like it ain't no thing.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Wolfsheim posted:

The chainsaw has always been around, it just didn't ignore DT/DR for the first couple of patches, and didn't have all the GRA mods that turn it into an unstoppable rape machine. Legionaires at the Fort carry around the original red one.

Has it seriously been in the game all this time? I've been to the Legion camp a few times and never, ever found it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Vault 34 is the only time in new vegas where I felt genuinely in danger. It's worthy for that alone.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Dr. Abysmal posted:

You have to change him into God and ask him to do it, he will then ask you to get the meat (you can skip this with an intelligence 7 check) and it will spawn new ghosts.

You can also be incredibly cruel and lock him in to finish that particular quest, but I never have the heart to do it.

Dog is a super mutant who would eat you soon as look at you, but somehow they managed to portay him in such a sympathetic light that I feel really bad trying to exploit him.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
This is going to sound really stupid: But where the gently caress do I get a shovel? I've seen one a few times but it's one of those items you can't pick up, and I want to go graverobbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Just download one of the fursuit armours and give it the "Everyone hates you" treatment when you wear it.