Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I like having an updated OP, but I take issue with the statement that there's no useless perks. I mean can anyone really justify taking Retention? Or Entomologist now that we don't have to deal with FO3's albino radscorpions? And all of the radiation related perks, pretty much, since rad-away is generally plentiful and the ones that give benefit for radiation are never worth it. And the ones that allow you to redo broken locks/ computers. And the one that makes nightstalker squeezins give bonuses because honestly by level 20 you're not gonna see a nightstalker again unless you're exploring all the caves/ doing Lily's quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
You can actually (DM spoilers)grab all the gold and just crawl out the door that Father Elijah dosen't use, if you have a stealth boy. He needs to not spot you for it to work, I think.

The lengths you have to go to to get around the weight limit really drive home the message of Dead Money, i think.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Dead Man Posting posted:

Here is what I have so far. Tell me what you guys think should be changed.

The skills I can see no reason to take ever are:

Friend of the Night: It's never really too dark to see anywhere, outdoors you can wait til daytime and indoors there will usually be lights on. Also you have a light (hold tab)

Retention: Whenever you read a magazine it's usually to pass a specific skill check, and they last more than long enough for one. Magazines are pretty plentiful, too.

Rad Child: The negatives of radiation sickness outweigh the healing this will give you.

Rad Resistance: Rad-away and Rad-X are so plentiful that radiation is never really a problem the few times you're forced to go near it. Plus radiation suits exist.

Computer Whiz/ Infiltrator: Even if quickload didn't make this redundant, you can just quit out of the computer when you have 1 attempt left and reset the puzzle. Locks only break if you try to use the force option, which you should never ever do unless its a 100% chance or you don't care whats behind the lock.

Rad Absoption: See Rad resistance

Eye for Eye: You can heal crippled limbs instantly with stimpacks in normal mode, and you never want to be crippled. 50% extra damage doesn't mean much if you can't hit anything because of two broken arms and a concussion. In hardcore limbs are harder to heal, but why not just get adamantium skeleton instead?

Mile In Their Shoes: This makes Nightstalker Squeezin's give +1 PER, +5 Poison Resistance, and +5 Stealth. Given that (A)Perception is both very easy to boost (wear a hat) and not a very useful stat outside of unlocking perks,(B)Poison Resistance is made obsolete by doing OWB, which you need to even choose this perk, and (C) OWB also gives you a stealth suit, this is really hard to justify. Also stealth boys and La Fantoma exist. Also nightstalkers are pretty rare outside of Big MT. AUGH THIS PERK SUCKS

Alertness: Entirely obsoleted by ED-E

Entomologist: The only worrisome bugs are Cazadores, but if you have OWB you get a lot of perks that make them easier. If you don't have OWB and Cazadores are a pain then maybe get this.

Perks that boost your XP gain (and Here and Now) aren't really necessary if you're doing sidequests because quests shower you in XP. Maybe if you're doing a speedrun.

Every other perk has the potential to be useful, though obviously some are more useful than others depending on how you play, if you're using hardcore, etc. Now if you want the perks that are generally considered Really Good:

Comprehension: More skill points is always good, and the magazine bonus gives you a lot more options for spending points (for example, you can keep lockpicking at 80, and as long as you keep skill magazines you'll be able to open Very Hard locks after using them)

Educated: More skill points!

Shotgun Surgeon: Amazing if you intend on using shotguns at all

Hand Loader: makes ammo management a lot easier since you can just turn everything into JHP rather than choosing between AP and HP.

Piercing Strike: simply amazing for Unarmed/ Melee characters.

Sniper: You'll generally be aiming for the head in most cases, since it does more damage. Easier headshots are even better.

Silent Running: A must for Sneaky Dudes, unless you like crawling around at a snail's pace

Jury Rigging: Probably the best perk in the game. Rather than having to pay 10000 caps to repair, say, your unique power armor you can just grab a few sets of lovely metal armor and repair it to full. Repair is a pretty amazing skill in general.

Paralyzing Palm: Do you know how easy it is to beat the poo poo out of an enemy when your attacks can turn them into a defenseless heap? Pretty easy actually!

Ninja: The extra crit chance is bugged and doesn't give anywhere near 15%, but 25% sneak critical damage is still really good.

Laser Commander: Kind of like Ninja for laser weapons. Keep in mind this affects Elijah's Advanced LAER, probably making it the most powerful weapon not in the Gun Runner's pack.

Them's Good Eatin: Makes Hardcore a complete breeze. 50% to find decent food and healing items on any living enemy you kill is insane. They can be upgraded to better versions, too. Outside of hardcore the healing isn't too useful but the items still have a very good sell value.

Jesus I typed a lot of lovely words. Maybe just put a link to this in the main post instead of ruining your nice format.

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 10, 2012

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Astroturf Man posted:

Agree on most of the useless perks, but Rad Child is awesome. Sticking at Minor Radiation Poisoning lets you regenerate 2 HP a second (making Dead Money really easy and making stimpacks nearly irrelevant) and only subtracts one point of endurance. I'd seriously rank it as probably the second best perk in the game.

Other useless perks:

I can't stand having reduced SPECIAL stats but I guess if you don't mind it rad child is alright. The rest of the perks you mentioned I didn't mention because they can be useful in certain circumstances. With 25 perk picks you can afford to have poo poo in there that isn't cutting edge efficiency, and new players are mainly gonna take what sounds cool anyway. I was just trying to warn them away from the ones that have pretty much no use whatsoever, however good they might sound.

Hunter applies to Yao Guai, which might be reason enough for some people. The anti-robot perks might be handy for people sick of OWB scorpions, and Adamantium Skeleton is kind of handy to offset Small Frame if you picked it (though I'm usually only crippled by landmines, so maybe Light Step would be better). The rest of the stuff I would probably not pick except for roleplay either.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Stuff new players might not know:

You can holster your weapon by holding the reload key. This is handy because two-handed weapons slow you down slightly if you have them drawn.

You can turn on your pip-boy light by holding Tab, but keep in mind it makes you easier to spot while sneaking.

You can assign stuff to the number keys (except 2) by going into your inventory, selecting the item and pressing the key. This is mostly handy for weapons, but also works for consumeables like stimpacks.

Some enemies are armored, if you see a shield icon next to their health bar when you shoot it means that your shots are being deflected by the armor, and you need to try something else

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

He just says that the Legion will change after they beat NCR, I don't think he ever mentions what would happen to the women

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I would like to suggest that the bug be reintroduced as DLC, and ED-E is remodelled as a floating hot dog. You have to protect the hot dog from hungry attackers, and if you manage to survive the trip to the Irradiated Picnic Grounds ED-E will give a short speech on the dangers of consumer culture, and a unique plasma pistol that fires superheated mustard.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I think unarmed probably remained separate because it's the only thing besides Survival which uses the Endurance stat. And Endurance needs all the help it can get because it would be a total dump stat if not for implants

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Complete Honest Hearts and it'll be in a footlocker next to the exit back to the Mojave

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Positronic Spleen posted:

I never played much of Honest Hearts until just recently, but it felt really shallow. I liked how it gave the player a number of simultaneous sub-missions with multiple solutions. But then I cash them in and it's basically "I like violence" and "I don't like violence", it didn't feel like there was much depth to it, just an obvious good vs evil choice.

I'm not sure how you interpreted the final choice as "good vs evil", a lot of dialogue is dedicated to showing that both choices are morally problematic. Unless you consider violence to be automatically evil, but even then Joshua makes some strong points on why fighting the White Legs is the more ethical decision (if you leave them go they'll just raid and destroy other tribes, ones who can't fight back or run away).

I'm guessing you sided with Daniel, because if you side with Joshua he does get an ending slide, and it changes depending on your actions in the final mission. I'll agree that the choice is basically violence vs non violence, but at least one of the outcomes of Crush The White Legs allows you to have your character express the belief that violence is a necessary evil and a last resort, and that violence for violence's sake is a bad idea.

Honest Hearts is probably the most underwhelming DLC gameplay wise (though considering how high the bar is it's still pretty fun) but it has the most going on in terms of making you consider your actions and consequences, in my opinion. It just grates on me that someone could boil it down to "good vs evil" when I'm pretty sure that's the opposite of what the game is reaching at.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Other than a few references New Vegas has no connection to Fallout 3 besides sharing a setting. It references Fallout 1 & 2 a lot more, but it's not like they're required reading. You can easily play and enjoy New Vegas without having played any other game in the series.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Burning Mustache posted:

FO3 did a couple of things better than NV in my personal opinion (for one thing it had a coherent art direction and level design and it didn't feel like someone mashed 50 random places, each created by a different person, together in a huge world map)

Did you get the two games mixed up because I'd like to hear how FO3 isn't 50 random places mashed together. I mean there's some coherency in the DC area where it's based off actual geography but otherwise you have "over here there's an apartment building that's pristine and undamaged, despite the land around it being flattened...here's two people living under a highway, that's a town, right? gently caress it, here's some fire ants...lets just cram Republic of Dave in the top right corner so it's nowhere near any trade routes...lets have vampires over here. Whatever"

It's not like that stopped me from enjoying FO3 but it seems silly to say that the layout had more thought in it than New Vegas, which has stuff like the Legion encroaching over the river, a road linking most of the major towns, several suburbs around Vegas itself, and is actually based on real places for the most part.

More than that though, people and quests in New Vegas constantly reference other places. The guy at Mojave Outpost is terrified to know the Legion have burned down that town because it means the Legion are pushing in further than everyone thought. If you take care of all the Fiend leaders bothering Camp McCarran, the recon team actually moves to Camp Forlorn Hope to reinforce them. The brotherhood is actually scouting out other places rather than sitting in the bunker wondering what the NCR is doing. There's a lot of connected poo poo going on, compared to the Captial Wasteland where nobody would even notice if you nuked Republic of Dave into glass

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Burning Mustache posted:

Ok I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding here; I meant "more coherent art direction" more in an aesthetic sense than story / gameplay related.

The point I was trying to make is that, aesthetically, FNV kind of seems like a mash-up of 50 different user created mods with different people creating different areas of the wasteland and different armors / clothes, weapon models, etc. while FO3 seemed to have a pretty clear art direction with areas blending into each other a lot better than in FNV. FO3 had the better, more (aesthetically) believable 'wasteland' feeling in my opinion.

I don't really understand that either, though, since they share so many art assets. None of the art direction made me think "what the gently caress is THIS doing here". The different wasteland areas look natural to me since they're based on real-world vegas locations for the most part. All the clothing is either homemade or salvaged, which makes sense for the post-apocalyptic western theme. You've got your cowboy guns and your future guns and your contemporary guns and I'm not sure how any of them could seem out of place aesthetically.

Basically the problem here is that I like the game too much and also no one is allowed to disagree with me

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Tewratomeh posted:

He was invulnerable to damage before you talked to him in the version that Obsidian sent off to Bethesda. For some inexplicable reason that's not the version that went out to the public

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

You can also use the intelligence check to do the opposite, which gains you some good karma

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Nonono you misunderstand I'm just posting in Games, it's completely different

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

khwarezm posted:

Is there anyone in this thread who didn't kill Follows-Chalk at the start?

I managed to do it on my second play through HH, even though I loving knew about the bug that time. It's very easy to do - he's scripted to come up behind a White Legs gunner on a hill, and presumably kill him. Thing is, if you're scoped up and looking at that gunner your initial thought is "oh gently caress he's got a friend, FULL AUTO".

Of course all that wouldn't be a problem if he was invulnerable like he was supposed to be. I'm not sure what could have happened between Obsidian sending it off and Bethesda shipping it to cause that.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Pretentious Turtle posted:

So what's this "get every gold bar out" trick? Is it just taking advantage of them stacking and carrying them between cell transitions?

The way I did it, which I copied off of youtube, was to just immediately use a stealth boy once you left the room with the gold and sneak forward and then to the right, taking the exit that Elijah doesn't enter through. The force fields only go up once he notices you. It took a lot of reloading but it did work.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I liked when he was killed off and I felt absolutely apathetic about it

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

You'll need to give her ammo too, companions only have infinite ammo for their default weapons.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Portal doesn't own the monopoly on the "crazy science" theme. 1950s B-movies have been specifically cited as inspiration for the expansion, for example.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I can appreciate the theme of Dead Money while also appreciating having enough caps to buy out every single trader in the Mojave. They don't have to be mutually exclusive

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

D34THROW posted:

Jesus tapdancing Christ, I just now realized that Victor isn't ONE Securitron, but rather several different Securitrons throughout the Mojave that House injected the Victor AI into. That's why neither a straight run from Goodsprings to Novac nor following the roads would net me any Mojave encounter with that irritating bastard.

:suicide:

I came back from completing HH on my latest run only to be greeted with "FANCY MEETIN' YOU HERE, FRIEND!" immediately upon loading in. Terrifying. Victor seems to show up in the weirdest places.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Energy weapons do lack punch, but I figure that's what the Meltdown perk is for.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Robyn posted:

So what's the goon consensus on that hardcore mod that dude that worked on the game released some months back?

The J.E. Sawyer mod? I just started a hardcore melee/explosives character run with it and I'm enjoying the challenge. At lower levels using psycho and med-x was a necessity in order to survive, and the lower number of stimpacks made the survival skill more useful for multiple healing sources. The challenge has kind of evaporated now that I have a katana, stonewall and piercing strike perks, and Anabelle, but that said deathclaws will still one-shot me and I still have all of the non-HH DLC to do.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Looking at the wiki it seems like the highest base crit chance is gonna be 10% from 10 luck, 5% from the beret, 5% from armor, 5% from finesse and 3% from Built to Destroy = 28%. With the two laser-related perks you can get up to 42% for laser weapons, and then read a True Police Stories with Comprehension for another 10%, bringing you to 52%. Factor in the crit rate from the weapon itself and you'll be getting A Whole Bunch of Crits.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

Science could be bundled with energy weapons, lockpick with sneak, speech with barter. Then again I've read that it becomes trivial to max out your skills later on so let me be quiet!

Some skills are pretty underwhelming (I'm looking at you here Survival) but man Science is not one of them. As well as opening a bunch of stuff via computers, it gives you a lot more options when completing quests (man no way I'm getting all that poo poo for a rebreather), has a few decent perks in Math Wrath/ Vigilant Recycler, and best of all allows you to make a shitload of drugs. Combination med-x/psycho that stacks with med-x? Yes Please. Science is the best

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

The game will straight up tell you when the point of no return is.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I can't understand why people use weapons that aren't A Light Shining in Darkness, This Machine, Medicine Stick, or That Gun.

Because GRA adds a Super Sweet Katana with an Authentic Blade and now you can finally be a Wasteland Samurai

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Offscreen, Hsu scratches his head and wonders who could be leaking military secrets to the Legion.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Bethesda didn't make New Vegas and I find your ignorance Very Offensive

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Tsietisin posted:

I'm several hours in on a hardcore Melee run. I don't know if it was the smartest choice for my first hardcore run. I'm thinking of starting again with different stats. Any thoughts on how I can improve my odds before I do that?

I found my odds drastically improved on my melee/hardcore run once I got some decent armor and a Bumper Sword, since the latter has a high chance of knocking down opponents. Black Mountain has both (there's some BoS corpses in a radioactive crater at the end of one of the switchbacks), but you'll have to fight some supermutants and centaurs to get it.

If it's still too early for that,you can go north of Goodsprings with a shovel and find Chance's Grave to get a unique dagger with really good stats. You'll have to dodge some Cazadores though.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I assume because of charisma determining how much health companions have, and hardcore meaning they can die permanently. I'm not finding it a huge problem myself, though, as long as you stay away from deathclaws and cazadores.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

jerichojx posted:

Just started playing again.

This time as Energy Weapons and regretted it immediately.

The ammo is just too expensive and damage of the Laser Pistol that Doc gave me is too low.

Any tips?

Bring a shovel to the Yangtze Memorial north of Goodsprings (the big cross, watch out for radscorpions) and dig up the graves there, I seem to remember a plasma weapon usually spawns in one. Keep an eye out for ghoul corpses in brown robes, those are Bright Brotherhood members who always carry energy weapons. You find a lot of them once you get to Novac, but there are a few scattered around before then.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

There were a lot of complaints about bugs at the time of release, but since it was patched several times and is now pretty stable I'm not sure why people still have this impression of bugginess

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

D34THROW posted:

Ahahahaha, this loving moron didn't even check out the Presidential suite. AND he assumes right away that he can see ALL of the penthouse by default. I'm sure there's some secret area somewhere where House keeps his snowglobes, just one that's not modeled in game.

I might be remembering wrong, but I think the very first time you meet House you go straight to the penthouse first. So when you chat to the securitron there's a dialogue option (something like "What's with all the snowglobes?") which makes no sense, because there are no snowglobes in the penthouse and you haven't been to the suite yet.

There are a couple of valid points in the article ( a lot of the populated areas, mainly the Strip, feel very empty) but the rest of it is bizarrely unrepresentative or just plain wrong. I haven't read any other RPS review that seemed so inaccurate.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Synnr posted:

Any recommendations/tips/etc for someone going into this blind? I grabbed the ultimate edition or whatever it is on steam with all the DLC and was planning on the hardcore mode, if that matters. Maybe first playthrough friendly mods like Stalker Complete?

At least tell me I won't accidentally shorten the main quest substantially like I did with the fallout 3 copy I borrowed from my brother. Or if it really is that short in 3, that it isn't soo much in new vegas.

It's pretty much impossible to accidentally skip parts of the main questline, unless you're in the habit of indiscriminately murdering NPCs. The most you could do would be running directly to Vegas without following the quests that lead you there, but even then you don't miss out on anything crucial.

DarnUI and CASM (that's the autosave mod, right?) are the two mods I would always recommend, because the default UI sucks and crashes can happen. Also when you start Honest Hearts, make sure you don't shoot Follows Chalk before he talks to you, otherwise you'll be locked out of the whole questline.

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 31, 2012

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I'd definitely recommend high Speech if you like to resolve things peacefully. Some of the endings require checks as high as 75/85. There are a some skill magazines, usually found in trash cans, so Comprehension is a really useful perk for passing the checks you couldn't normally. If you want to break the bank at the Sierra Madre casino I think you need Luck 7 to reliably make a profit. There's also a lot of perception/intelligence checks but between drugs, booze and clothing those are a lot easier to pass.

Of course it's perfectly possible to beat Dead Money without passing any skill checks, it's just kind of annoying when you're just a couple of points off with no way to raise it

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

There are different bonuses for leaving them out or putting them back in. For instance, leaving your spine out gives 1 STR and cripple immunity for your torso, but replacing it gives you +2 STR and +2 DT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Kalos posted:

Since when? It's pretty scarce in the beginning, and you'll be well-served by a recharger in Honest Hearts, but after getting to Freeside, I was never hurting for Energy Weapon ammo.

Also, you can make your own out of the (even weightless in hardcore) drained cells. I guess it's not as common as bullets, but really if you just carry two weapons that use different ammo types, you should never be hurting for ammo. I mean, poo poo, I use a fully upgraded Laser Rifle on my current character, which is widely considered the worst thing to do, and I don't have any trouble with ammo.

If you can open that one door on the bottom floor of the REPCONN museum (I think it's Average difficulty) you'll have ammo enough to last you for hours and hours