Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Mrens posted:

It's been a while since David Sedaris has been on I forgot he used to be much more regular.

It's funny that someone asked if there are episodes people don't like and you mention Sedaris. I can't stand him and usually skip his bits. I can never come up with a good reason for it, but I think his voice just grates on me. That and many of his segments are live and I also don't like the audience reactions.

One of my favorites is Matchmakers, which ends with a story by a woman who works in an FAO Scwartz store where parents only wants to "adopt" the white dolls. A more recent favorite was the war episode based on David Finkel's The Good Soldiers. I heard that and went out and bought the book, which was also excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

soggybagel posted:

I really wish they would denote that its a repeat.
You can usually tell by the show number. They are at 449 now so anything less than that is a repeat.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Zsinjeh posted:

Can't be worse than Apples Podcast app for the iPhone, good god is that terrible.

Not really TAL related, but goddamn I had to vent about that terrible app somewhere.
I am not upgrading to iOS 6 just so I can avoid that piece of poo poo app. I'm going to give Downcast a try.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

patricius posted:

Did Apple remove podcast capability from the Music app and force everyone into Podcasts with iOS 6? I think they still worked side-by-side when I switched to Instacast.
Yes. With iOS 5, you can choose either the Music app or Podcasts, but with iOS 6 you are forced to use Podcasts (or a third party app).

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
Yeah, that was one hosed up episode. My favorite in a while. I can't believe that woman in the middle story agreed to be interviewed, although she's clearly batshit crazy.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

dongsbot 9000 posted:

One thing that the TAL coverage doesn't mention is that two thirds of the students in the East Ramapo school districts are attending yeshivas. While that fact might not justify the drastic cuts to classes and staff, it paints the story in a slightly different light. This isn't a super-rich Jewish minority oppressing the poor African-American and Hispanic immigrants attending public school; it's the just as poor Hasidic community paying most of the money for a school system they don't (and can't, for religious reasons) use.
Two-thirds are yeshivas attending public schools or not using the public schools at all? The latter was the impression I got, but it would have been nice if they included an actual number in the TAL story. That data point is something that makes me think the problem here is more about the completely broken funding/taxation system than about the Jewish community being unethical. I think if you throw almost any two independent groups in a similar situation, there's going to be a ton of friction.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
I have a hard time believing Jay wasn't involved in some way. In the last episode, I started to think that maybe they did it together and then Jay through Adnan under the bus afterwards.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
I gave up about a minute or two into that last segment too. The other stuff really outrages me though. The border patrol bullshit I'd heard of before, but the ATF stories drove me the most crazy. That we spent tax dollars on programs that apparently not making meaningful arrests and are arguably increasing crime... wow. Actually just the fact that they weren't keeping or were unwilling to give statistics on the costs and extent of the program is bad enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
Some interesting stuff on Ira's Twitter about apparent complete fabrication of the data in the study behind the recent episode on changing people's minds.

• Locked thread