Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Julie Klausner is more polarizing than Marc Maron, I've found. I like her, but I hate her interviews (also they're often poorly recorded). But yeah, skip the intro and go to the Glass thing - I guess his wife is like 10 years younger than him or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Sometime we will listen to TAL in the car on long road trips, and while I enjoy the content there are two audio things that are annoying. 1) Ira's voice is really "clicky clacky" to me, and it make him hard to understand sometimes and 2) the whole show in general could use ... compression? It's too raw, and the contrasts in the audio are distracting, even to the point of having to turn the volume up or down constantly. It doesn't bother my wife, so maybe it's just the car audio or maybe I'm just deaf. I just can't believe I'm the only one in the world.

It's probably your car - the show is really well-produced, their engineers are great. After the content's done, an engineer goes over everything.

Solkanar512 posted:

More to the point when "The Giant Pool of Money" first aired, the talking point across the media at large was, "this whole mess is too complicated for us normal folk to understand, we should leave it to the experts" when that line was a giant pile of bullshit.

I bet you 99% of people still have no loving idea what caused the financial crisis. That episode is just one part of a complex story - IIRC, they didn't even go into the CDS market that much - and yeah, it's really complicated.

Farts Domino posted:

I'm surprised the word "entrapment" didn't show up at any point during that story

Most of the drug war is fought with entrapment and illegal searches (of minorities). Turns out it's awful in every way, who knew?

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 15, 2012

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I know, I'm just saying - it takes hours to tell, and most people still don't get it. So obviously cut the producers some slack for making it as simple as possible.

Also, I haven't listened to the episode yet - where in the hell is a gram of weed a felony? That's ridiculous

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

It was an actual survey designed by psychologists to detect Asperger's syndrome. She explained that in the story. Most bullshit online surveys don't have 150 questions specifically related to the diagnosis of a recognized mental disorder, such as "Do you fantasize about making traps?"

He really, really obviously had some sort of personality disorder. Turns out Asperger's is a real thing that people have, not just idiots on the internet

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Liberty Valance posted:

Yeah, it was a waste of resources and all, but we only heard one side of the story. I think most of the guy's story was likely bullshit.

I think it wasn't. but that's not the point, the point is that it's a MASSIVE waste of time and money and police officers should never be undercover in a high school unless it's a hilarious buddy-cop movie based on a television show

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

maxnmona posted:

The problem was taking a piece of theater and presenting it in the context of journalism, which was more the fault of the TAL producers than Daisey. They approached him, not the other way around.

Wrong, he lied to them. They fact-checked what they could, but they had to take him on his word for some of it - and his word was false.

quote:

All of the facts under dispute are whether he personally met some of the people he discusses in the monologue, not whether the conditions he described are true.

You're glossing over a pretty big point here. What he did was fine on the stage - he's using investigative techniques to tell a mostly true story, etc. But when it's presented as journalism, which his work was, it has to be verifiably true. He had no direct knowledge of what he was speaking of, and he created false characters to illustrate points that were based on information he hadn't directly observed.

quote:

And given the context of the piece, that he invented personally meeting people affected by things that really happened is fine, given that those people exist and the events that affected them happen, and given that it is presented as a piece of theater.

It wasn't a piece of theatre. It would be fine in the theatre because the story is what matters. But TAL is journalism, not theatre. They use the techniques of drama to tell true stories, he uses the techniques of journalism to tell fictional stories.

It's on him to make clear to the producers what is and isn't embellished in his piece, and it's clear that he did not do that. We'll hear the whole story tomorrow

e: I guess there's probably a thread for this, but I really don't want to read what GBS has to say about journalism

2e: it's surprisingly not that bad, although I don't get what his weight has to do with anything

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 17, 2012

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Good point.

But it was still presented as journalism. gently caress that guy

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

TAL didn't edit to make Daisey look bad - they didn't edit that stuff at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Maybe they're talking about the long periods of silence.
I'm sure they weren't artificially extended, but for any other guest they would definitely have cut out dead air.

Yes, that's what I meant. I'm familiar with the production of radio

• Locked thread