Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Sometime we will listen to TAL in the car on long road trips, and while I enjoy the content there are two audio things that are annoying. 1) Ira's voice is really "clicky clacky" to me, and it make him hard to understand sometimes and 2) the whole show in general could use ... compression? It's too raw, and the contrasts in the audio are distracting, even to the point of having to turn the volume up or down constantly. It doesn't bother my wife, so maybe it's just the car audio or maybe I'm just deaf. I just can't believe I'm the only one in the world.

Listen to the beginning of a show and notice how he says "This Amerikung Life" It drives me crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Crisco Kid posted:

Like, 99.5% of fictional high schools are completely batshit and overstuffed with tropes, but since most Americans went to real American high schools, we all know just how batshit and unrealistic those portrayals are. The idea that people in other countries might be taking this stuff at face value is kinda scary. I'd be interested to know what someone with a different, outside perspective enjoys most about "This American Life."

I used to think that the American high school thing was just a stereotype, but the more I listen to TAL, the more it seems like the whole jocks/nerds/goths/druggies, high school sports teams/prom/cheerleading stuff is true.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
This week's episode was their best ever, except for the last segment.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I find the host of Snap Judgement to be very difficult to listen to, which is saying a lot considering the deviated septum voice of the guy who opens TAL every week, plus every other NPR host.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Drunkboxer posted:

To each his own, I guess. Personally I can't stand the Snap Judgement guy, to the point that I can't really listen to the show.

I can't stand him either. I made it through maybe two episodes before I wanted to throw my ipod.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

calandryll posted:

The best part is, it doesn't seem like he did any research. I can think of a few similar companies to what he wants to do.

Every comedian has their own podcast network. This guy is really jumping in to a market that is saturated with people trying to become the HBO of podcasts.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
The Mars segment was from Love + Radio podcast I am pretty sure. I heard it a few months back when I was trying out a few other TAL style podcasts.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
SHAME. SHAME.

GOD IS WATCHING YOUUUUUUU.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Man, these people really like Chad.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/28/elizabeth-warren-new-york-fed_n_5896778.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000013

Politicians are mad now.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

GrandpaPants posted:

Serial is a new podcast from some of the people behind This American Life. The idea is that there's only one story, but it unfolds over the course of the entire season. Haven't checked it out yet, but figured someone here would be interested.

Thanks for reminding me. I wrote a note to check it out and totally forgot.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I think doing reruns is ok, because not everyone has been listening to TAL for the 15 years or whatever that it has been on. That being said, I think replaying episodes from less than a year ago is silly. Give me some deep cuts, not stuff that I can remember word for word.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

mancalamania posted:

I really like Serial and am excited to see where it is going. Have they said how long this "season" is? It's hard to tell if we're well into the middle of the story now, or still at the beginning. It seems like we're still pretty far from some of the events in the tease of the season at the end of Episode 1.

They said it is a 12 part series.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Why wouldn't the police have put Jay in jail as well for accessory to murder? It doesn't make sense.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Hello, I'm Ira Glass. This week on This Ameriking Life"....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Lutha Mahtin posted:

holy crap the voice of that theater girl with the robot baby. aaaaaa

She talks like Maria Bamford, except not because she is in character.

• Locked thread