Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
This show needs its own thread.

For new listeners, I am going to steal some of the about us text from their web site:

quote:

If you've never heard This American Life, our staff's favorites page provides a great introduction to what we do. You might want to start there. After a few episodes, we're sure you'll figure it out. Or, if you're looking for a written introduction, here goes: One of our problems from the start has been that when we try to describe This American Life in a sentence or two, it just sounds awful. For instance: each week we choose a theme and put together different kinds of stories on that theme. That doesn't sound like something we'd want to listen to on the radio, and it's our show.

So usually we just say what we're not. We're not a news show or a talk show or a call-in show. We're not really formatted like other radio shows at all. Instead, we do these stories that are like movies for radio. There are people in dramatic situations. Things happen to them. There are funny moments and emotional moments and—hopefully—moments where the people in the story say interesting, surprising things about it all. It has to be surprising. It has to be fun.

Each episode has a theme. That's mostly because a theme makes it seem like there's a reason to sit and listen to a story about a contest where everyone stands around a truck for days until only one person is left on their feet...or a grown man trying to convince a skeptical friend that not only has he heard the world's greatest phone message, but that it's about the Little Mermaid...or a man who's obsessed with Niagara Falls, lives minutes from the Falls, writes and thinks about the Falls all the time, but can't bring himself to actually visit the Falls because, as he says, "they've ruined the Falls." If you're not doing stories about the news, or celebrities, or things people have ever heard of elsewhere, you have to give people a reason to keep listening. The themes make it seem like you should.

quote:

Episode 447: The Incredible Case of the P.I. Moms - What do you get when you take a P.I. firm, then add in a bunch of sexy soccer moms, official sponsorship from Glock, a lying boss, and delusions of grandeur?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
About halfway through this week's episode, and holy poo poo, the program in Act 2 sounds like just an incredible waste of time and money. Hey, we spent 3+ months of multiple police officer salaries to catch a bunch of high school kids with a small amount of pot and stick them with felonies. Keeping the streets safe!

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
TAL has removed it, but I still have it: http://loudnoises.org/misc/tal454.mp3

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

I am not upgrading to iOS 6 just so I can avoid that piece of poo poo app. I'm going to give Downcast a try.

Podcasts were always totally terrible in the Music app on iOS. In addition to Downcast, you guys should also try Instacast: http://vemedio.com/products/instacast3

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Eating a gyro is probably the worst time for the first act of this episode to come on my headphones. It could be anything!

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
FYI, there's a thread on D&D on all this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3540117

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

fivre posted:

I'd think it be hard to now--what's actually going on isn't entirely clear.

Yeah, the story was breaking throughout the week they were reporting on, and it's too big a deal to fit in one segment of a show anyway. They touched on it a bit, anyway.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
They only have one episode in the feed because they'd like you to buy access to the rest of them through their app, or to buy them individually from various places. The episode this week is a rerun, so that's what's in there right now. It's a bit of an antiquated model these days. I wish they had a no-reruns feed.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
From what we know right now, Jay's motive is not super compelling? He would also have to be the luckiest dumb murderer around to hang this on Adnan and not have him come up with an alibi.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Serial is crazy popular, we should probably get the discussion in this thread split out, or start a new thread.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, just so we're clear, your theory is that Lindy West hired a highly convincing voice actor to portray her harasser and interact with the TAL fact checking team, and has also been building up years and years of timestamped emails, tweets and comments from this harasser in preparation for faking this whole thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

life is a joke posted:

ps - I think that Elnas convo w her boyfriend was weird, but tbh i think if i told my girlfriend that we were recording for a nationally syndicated program we'd be brainstorming ideas on how to make it compelling, including asking "the tough questions" that normally wouldnt come up.

I wonder if TAL employees just record all kinds of poo poo in case it might be useful one day, and their families just get used to it.

• Locked thread