Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I agree. Especially since there is no political will in Washington to fix the mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I wished Ira talked more during the three way interview. He's the most interesting person there, yet he talked the least.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Guerrand posted this in the Spotify thread, a Spotify playlist with a lot of the music used during or in-between segments.

Click

Now I can start bitching about the songs they play way too much, like the theme from the graffiti artist and 06 Ghosts I from NIN.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
BLARG!!! Repeat podcast! Seriously, nothing is more off putting than downloading a podcast and 15 minutes in realizing you've heard it before.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lusy posted:

Came here to talk specifically about this episode. I was cleaning house while listening to this episode one night. When they revealed that Bob wasn't eexactly making poo poo up I had to stop what I was doing. My jaw literally dropped and I just stood staring at my iPod for a few seconds. That's when I knew I was totally hooked.

LIBERALLY PUSSY!!! He'S N UPSTANDING AMERICAN!!!!! Seriously, the stuff we sunk millions of dollars into, and the programs that let them flee are particularly heinous.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

trigger9631 posted:

I really enjoyed this week's episode. The hilarity of the middle school relationships and the :smith: of the depressed kid made for some great radio.

I had the same thing happen to me in the 4th grade. When he started throwing up in school, they should have taken him to get checked out. When major changes occur in their lives, even seemingly trivial ones to us as adults, children can have nervous breakdowns.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'll also join in on the Sedaris hate. How can you even tell what's fictional and what's not. Even the real stories of comedians are filled with exaggeration and hyperbole. They're just big wastes of time.

I remember the stories about the cruelty of children and there was a story about a man in a well. Thanks for the story about what cruel children might do. :rolleyes:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
When I first heard Ira's voice, the first thing I thought was, "this guy does not have a voice for radio."

I was also shocked to find out he wasn't in his 20's.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think the worst example of Ira's feigned surprise is in the history of money story, or maybe in the banking collapse story, where he acts surprised that, *gasp*, venture capital exists. He's a man in his 50s. He must think we're a bunch of dumb teenagers.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
This week's podcast was excellent. I usually hate the poultry slam episodes, but this years was great.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Doodarazumas posted:

Right to Remain Silent is up there. Part 2 is about a cop who secretly records his corrupt superiors and in the end absolutely no justice is served.

As an update ton that story, everyone involved STILL works there currently.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hollis Brown posted:

Wow the second story in #453: Nemeses is the gooniest thing I've ever heard.

Was that the Rutger's vs Princeton one? That one made me kinda sad.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
My itunes didn't update this week, and I checked multiple times. That pisses me off (1st world problems). Is it the neighborhood watch one?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Decius posted:

Yeah, that was a really great and surreal show. Same as the one where they visit the place where the FED "prints" money.

If you think the FED adding money tot he economy is trippy, download all of planet money and go from the beginning.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Blackula69 posted:

It was an actual survey designed by psychologists to detect Asperger's syndrome. She explained that in the story. Most bullshit online surveys don't have 150 questions specifically related to the diagnosis of a recognized mental disorder, such as "Do you fantasize about making traps?"

He really, really obviously had some sort of personality disorder. Turns out Asperger's is a real thing that people have, not just idiots on the internet

"Most" questionnaires on the internet are the ACTUAL medical diagnosis of Asperger's. You think they swing a watch in front of your face or the like? It's just a static questionnaire. Same with medical depression and manic depressive syndrome.

"But those are far too different!"

The diagnosis is literally yes/no or strongly agree/ don't agree/I'm a pineapple/strongly disagree. If you fill out the score and send it in, you get a legal diagnosis.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
This week's TAL was pretty :psyduck:

The guy who paid $300+ dollars for a single streetlight and then thanked the mayor was the worst of all. He doesn't even know what financial conservatism is.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

a lovely poster posted:

Pretty depressing week to be honest. I agree that the guy who was happy/excited to pay $300 for his light (as opposed to the $200 out of his taxes that it would take to do all of the lights) is a disgusting level of self-centeredness and greed.

It's not even self-centeredness or greed! It's a bizarre conspicuous taxation that only affects a few individuals that end up paying more than they otherwise would have. It's the exact opposite of the conservative "Everyone should contribute, and slackers aren't carrying their fair share". A hand full of these people are paying the benefits for everybody... by paying more! And they're proud of it!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I wonder how big the ramifications of this could be? This did spawn international protests. If China made a big stink, it really could be a big deal for western journalists.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sooo, does anyone else regularly listen to Planet Money? I was thinking about starting a different thread, but this thread gets so few, and they regularly overlap.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

This latest episode on crime scenes is pretty interesting, it's like CSI but without all the bullshit. Plus you get to hear a little kid say "maybe he got pumped in the butt...by lots of men" :lol:

I think it's only funny if you haven't been around kids who would say those things to an adult or who would just start swinging wildly at another kid over next to nothing. They're raised in households where they're pretty much on par with the adults... and sometimes more mature.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

I think my least favorite are the droll fiction stories about animals doing boring human things and having uninteresting arguments, told in a nasal monotone by the author. David Sedaris and one other dude does them sometimes. I've gotten used to the occasional Sedaris story, but this other guy just should never be on radio.

Thank God! Last time I said as much I was told I was crazy. Pointless, go-nowhere fictional stories are the death of a good TAL episode.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gio posted:

"Another Frightening Show About the Economy" is what got me into TAL. All the episodes involving the economic crisis are incredible.

You should listen to planet money. It was founded after the financial crisis, and they do a great job exploring some pretty complex economic issues.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gio posted:

Their neoliberal bent is much more apparent in their blog than in their coverage of the banking crisis, but they definitely do have a bias that way. They have some good stuff, but their endorsement of Paul Romer and his neocolonial passions is hardly palatable.

I think they were just hyping it up like they do when they introduce any new economic idea. They did a pretty good job of showing how the idea lacked international support,and was really unpopular with the Honduran on the street and with the population.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kangra posted:

I always thought of Rest Stop as one of their worst episodes ever and I'm surprised they replayed it. It was one of those times they went out and hoped to get some great stories but simply didn't and probably couldn't afford to waste two days of work.

The main story in How I Got Into College is pretty good (perhaps one gripe with the show is that it's really a one-story show, and not about getting into college at all). Even if it's not the greatest ever, it's a exactly the sort of thing I'd expect TAL to do. It is in some way a very American story, and it provides the opportunity for the questions that it seems the show likes to discuss. In contrast to stories about Eritreans in Sweden and lackluster repeats, it's nice to have a good one.

How I got into college started out great, but then it turned into a story about an econ professor's trip to private school. Kinda disappointed.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like how they intentionally mispronounced polak as po-LACK

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

100% agree here. TAL is the podcast I listen to for stories about weird and heartwarming stuff that's happening in our country. I sigh when it's a story...especially when it's a story you don't realize is fiction until after it's done.

Especially bad is when you don't realize it's fiction until an animal starts talking.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

AtomicRust posted:

The story about the orthodox women not being able to get remarried without their ex husband's permission got me incensed. Almost emphasized with that one rabbi's mafia tactics.

Wait, what? When I was listening to this I had the exact opposite impression. I thought she would be struggling against her upbringing and her desire to live her how she chooses. Instead they spin the entire thing as her husbands' fault? They obviously had a bad marriage and a contentious divorce. Marry someone else and get on with your life. A preacher man says you need a piece of paper from a guy who wants nothing to do with you? Get a new preacher man? Your friends will shun you if you do? Then who's at fault here, your ex or your lovely friends who'll ditch you because you decided to get on with your life instead of your lovely ex?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sexy Randal posted:

I think you're underestimating how important this sort of thing is in her religious community and that if she were to get married without resolving it she'd have to abandon that community completely. If her religion (and her social ties to the people/family within her religion) is important to her then this isn't a trivial thing.

Also her husband is being a huge dick for no reason. He knows that this fucks her over and is intentionally leaving her in limbo so he can try to extort things from her. It's absolutely his fault.
Her husband is a dick, for sure, but holding up her life for him? She wouldn't abandon her community, they would SHUN her? Who would shun a 25 year old woman for not dealing with an abusive husband? It's not a trivial thing when taken in total, but her husband scribbling on a piece of paper is also trivial. She is NOT in limbo, since she is an adult and can do whatever she wants.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yes, welcome to cultural traditions. She can leave her culture behind or she can be turned into an outsider for breaking a fairly large concept in it. Her husband is aware of this and it absolutely is his fault, in that culture, for being a poo poo about things.
Is it a large concept? If you're bound to an ex husband who everyone knows is a jerk, will people shun you? Well, it is a large concept treating a woman as property after all! Better not break it! *hint* They should reject it and get on with their lives.

If this was a discussion about an Amish woman marrying a non-Amish man, this would have been two posts long.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You're not, like, some great enlightening sage to go this is a hosed up thing, that doesn't change that leaving one's culture is a pretty big deal, even if it's a lovely culture.

The entire context of the story is that this is the fault of a crazy ex-husband and not a backwards ideology. Like I said before, if this were a Mormon problem or an Amish problem, the segment would be presented as "look at this goofy culture!".

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

quote:

Not-So-Simple Majority
Should I listen to this? If I can't make a difference, I'd rather not spend the day enraged.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
To be fair, it's Elizabeth Warren. If she has success in this, he success rate will be 1-LOL.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

drainpipe posted:

Wow, the first two Serial episodes are really good poo poo. It boggles my mind that the testimony of one person could be enough to convict someone for murder, although perhaps there were other factors in the case that hadn't been revealed yet (like the cliffhanger of the second ep).

Jurors have to weigh the trustworthiness of a witness's testimony. If they think one is good enough and convincing enough, then that's all it takes. It's not like murder usually takes place in a crowded theater. There usually isn't a ton of evidence, especially if steps are taken to cover up a crime.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

cebrail posted:

Wait, what? I don't know too much about US law, is that really how it works? Why does it matter what anyone thinks or believes? Shouldn't they decide whether someone is guily beyond any doubt? Isn't "he probably did it but there's no real evidence" an obvious acquittal?

It was kind of bugging me that the podcast didn't mention why he was found guilty, I hope it isn't really just that one dude saying he talked to him in the car.

I have not heard the episode, and I am not a lawyer, but a witness's testimony is evidence. It's up to the cross examiner to refute that evidence and the jury to determine its weight.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The one about not speaking to your dad floored me. If they were separated, I could understand, but how could you just grow up with them without viewing it as a huge problem. The part about his little brother learning Chinese but he didn't practically made me cry. Something about having your suspicions about being the ugly duckling confirmed.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think Zoe's inflection is annoying, but the worst offender is Ira Glass. When he asks questions of a guest, presumably to inform the audience, he makes me w ant to strangle him.

"WHAT?!?! I'm an educated adult male in his 50s who doesn't know this thing?!?!"

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

How do you get used to Ira Glasses voice? Holy gently caress do I want to just punch him in the stomach

Haha, my first thought when I started listening is, "this 24 year old kid is never gonna make it in radio".

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I appreciate Ira Glass' radio voice, because he's the only person in world history who looks exactly like his voice sounds.

He looks like an awkward 25 year old? Me thinks not.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
No foolin'. Who needs rights when you can just shoot someone.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kings Of Calabria posted:

I actually agree with you on most of what you said, but I'm talking about it in a broader sense that I've detected from a few episodes. Like ya those guys are milking it and I get that a dude retiring in middle-middle age on six figures is bad - but the theme of this episode and many others is that "$$$ for people that aren't you = bad". So what I mean is that by saying "but where does the money actually GO???" is going to have a lot of "liberals" telling themselves that they technically support unions and strength in numbers etc etc but "we must simply vote against this public funding bill in the name of common sense".

I'm really losing myself by trying to explain what I mean, but maybe I've come across a little?

I get it, but I also didn't get that vibe from the episode. I think American society has gotten to the point where we listen for any breech in the narrative we've constructed for ourselves and immediately go into MUST DESTROY DESSENT mode.

if you think the person speaking is a racist, you'll be listening for something to confirm your point, not listening objectively to see if what they say has any basis in reality, and you can throw any connotative meaning of what they're saying right out the window as you'll be inserting your own.

It's a nationwide problem where if you're not preaching narrative A, then you must be advocating narrative B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
God, that fat episode hit waaaaay too close to home. Especially the second part. Back when I was in high school, I weighed 310 lbs. , and this was when the obesity epidemic was just coming into force. . I've been morbidly obese since I was 3. I don't think Lindsey in the first segment is THAT far off her rocker. There are tons of people and imagery that reviles fat people, and actually coming to terms that you're NOT disgusting, or worthless, or unlovable because you are fat is HUGE psychological leap that most fat people don't make. The part about people fake caring is also a too true point. Dan Savage is a little cowardly scum bag. When he first went after fat people, he did the same way children in the elementary school yard flop their hands limp wristedly at the "pussy" kids and calling them fags. Attacking in ways he know will hurt, because he feels little to no empathy. When he finally gets called out on it, his response was like it was bcc'ed to the HR department. Such a little poo poo.

The second episode is the one that really hurt, because it describes so elegantly what I went through in my college years. During my college years, I took up body building, and I took it pretty seriously. I went from about 280 to 185. This is what people don't understand. When you've always thought of yourself as fat, you still think of yourself as fat. You do not get an increase in self confidence in losing weight. You do become happier. You become happier because people treat you better. Strangers, some of your friends, especially the opposite sex, and even my parents. Elna said she had trouble trusting people. I just continued to turn my cynicism inward and tell myself that everyone was loving playing with me (this took me a loooong time to grow out of). Eventually, some bad crap in real life happened, and I fell out of dieting and body building. I lost quite a bit of muscle and gained a bunch of the weight back. It was like a real life Flowers for Algernon. Everyone who was happy to see me no longer cared again. All of my old friends who were so proud of me were no longer so proud, and everyone who thought I was so intelligent and well educated went back to thinking I was a blowhard know-it-all. I actually handled it pretty well, since I was still in the "everyone was always loving with me to begin with" phase. If you've always seen yourself as the fat guy, it doesn't really turn off.

That was about 8 years ago. I'm back to trying to lose weight, but I'm pretty horrible at it. I've dropped 25 lbs since I started trying, but it's stopped fat from there, and I still am a borderline morbidly obese guy at 235 lbs. I've been considering getting a gastric bypass, but without severe consequences to prompt for the surgery, none of the Doctor's I've seen will recommend it.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

By the way, the one argument that might stand in favor of being able to rewire your thinking to find fat objectively beautiful was that point about blacks and then latinos finding Elna attractive. I have a feeling that the black dudes loving fat white women is actually a function of black dudes being undesired by white women and thus these two groups meet in the middle and so then that becomes what they like.

I'm not prepared to fight for this one too hard really, but its a thought.
I've always seen it as two people who've been treated like rejects loving one another for who they are, instead of what they are. If there's only been one man in the world who's treated you like a lover, would you care if he was black? If only one woman in the world has said that she loved you, and was always happy to see you, would you care if she was overweight?

• Locked thread