Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Alright that sounds cool, thanks. I don't mind sticking to a certain type of weapon for each race. I still barely know how to play the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

oblomov posted:

So since the GalCiv thread appears to be archived, it looks like GalCiv 3 is in beta 3 now and it's 50% off for Steam Sale.

I bought it, it's alright but very barebones and pretty much a carbon copy of GalCiv 2 at this point. It very much screams "no risk" to me in that GalCiv 2 was popular and Elemental wasn't so they're playing it safe, but I'm very sad they kept the atrocious rock paper scissors combat from the previous games.

I hope they'll update and balance a lot of stuff (it is beta after all) because right now a lot of the game is very simple and its super easy to game the AI. Spamming culture buildings is still the best strategy, you don't go to war for the first 200 turns or so because it's always better to improve your economy instead of putting resources into a costly invasion. The resources are quite a cool new feature but it means that asteroids stopped being a resource in themselves and now are just a place where duranium spawns. Overall I'd say wait for beta 4 or 5 and another sale.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Why does this game hate being on sale? I saw a paltry 10% off I think. They would make so much goddamn money at 30 instead of 60. I want to play the game but that price point is just too high. :( you're on steam now make with the discounts!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ramadu posted:

Why does this game hate being on sale? I saw a paltry 10% off I think. They would make so much goddamn money at 30 instead of 60. I want to play the game but that price point is just too high. :( you're on steam now make with the discounts!

It took years just getting it to steam, the price will come down in 2018.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Ramadu posted:

It's Matrix, man. I'm just happy to have it on steam. poo poo, I'm just happy they bundled all the content into Universe so you don't have to buy several games at $30-50.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Demiurge4 posted:

I bought it, it's alright but very barebones and pretty much a carbon copy of GalCiv 2 at this point. It very much screams "no risk" to me in that GalCiv 2 was popular and Elemental wasn't so they're playing it safe, but I'm very sad they kept the atrocious rock paper scissors combat from the previous games.

I hope they'll update and balance a lot of stuff (it is beta after all) because right now a lot of the game is very simple and its super easy to game the AI. Spamming culture buildings is still the best strategy, you don't go to war for the first 200 turns or so because it's always better to improve your economy instead of putting resources into a costly invasion. The resources are quite a cool new feature but it means that asteroids stopped being a resource in themselves and now are just a place where duranium spawns. Overall I'd say wait for beta 4 or 5 and another sale.

Yeah, grabbed it and it's a bit disappointing. I am also not a fan of planetary development and the amount of goddamn micromanagement you have to do around it. Combat is supposed to get better in January update so keeping my fingers crossed.

I am not thinking that what I would love to see is Endless Space 2 based on lessons learned from the first game and Endless Legends. I think the chance of that is actually pretty good but not for couple years at least.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Okay, I've just bought the game. Should I play through without the Beyond Extended mod, or is it okay to start from there? And are there any vital quality-of-life mods or things I should do?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Okay, I've just bought the game. Should I play through without the Beyond Extended mod, or is it okay to start from there? And are there any vital quality-of-life mods or things I should do?

Beyond extended is still pretty alpha, I'd give it a miss. You can go for the regular extended mod though, that one is just fine.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I would recommend Das Chrome as well for the icons if the extended mod doesn't already include it. I don't use extended mod, but I generally don't use mods anyway. The Das Chrome mod though makes the game much more readable.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
If anything the AI improvement mod is a big quality of life improvement. It makes the ship auto-designer a lot less retarded and gives each race a more specialized research path. Both of these things make the AI more competitive as well as make your life a lot less micro-managey.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I play Vanilla and it's just fine, I had trouble getting the BE mod to work but that's probably because I'm dumb.

My main recommendation is follow the tutorials as tedious as it might be, let the reigns of micromanagement go and don't play in the Age of Pirates or whatever it's called like I did first game.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'd recommend just playing vanilla to start with in the classical era to get a feel for what you like and don't like before looking at mods to tweak the game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I really do think Das Chrome helps you see what's actually a resource and where it is, and that's helpful for even new players. It doesn't change the game in any way, just makes it more readable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I really don't like how Hyperspace works. I feel it needs either greater inaccuracy or require a greater minimum distance. One shouldn't be able to jump in system, that's how I like my sci-fi. Are there any mods that change this?

• Locked thread