Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, it does seem to click more now, the whole thing seems that bit more alive. I'm also cursing the hippy-apes (Can't spell their real name) for continually grabbing the worlds I'm after a couple of days before my colony ship gets there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Screw it, after the day I've had I need to lose myself in something. Bought and installing now.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Trying to remember all the stuff about the late-game that I forgot. Is there an option to cause ships to automatically retrofit to the latest design after they've finished their current mission? You know you can do it with fleets, but I'm talking about the random non-fleet boats you've got flying around on automation? Once you get big enough going through and selecting all the ship classes individually in the ships window then hitting retrofit button (then having to select the design) just gets tedious.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Played a bit over the weekend:

pros

- Best new feature are the vectors for all your ships. Makes seeing where shipping lanes are and what everything is doing instantaneous and easy.

- Automation seems to have been improved. Especially construction which I used to handle manually. Now I find it is building what I would have done anyway, without the fiddling around.

- Seeing borders and empire positions work well.

cons

- Characters are neat, but they are sterile. The game has gone part way to a Crusader King model, but what it needs are events.

- Game engine is still choppy (especially on menus/zooming) on my high end machine (though less than before).

Griz
May 21, 2001

V for Vegas posted:

- Characters are neat, but they are sterile. The game has gone part way to a Crusader King model, but what it needs are events.

Did you do a quickstart game? Non-quickstart lets you enable/disable "disasters and other events" and "race-specific events"

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Griz posted:

Did you do a quickstart game? Non-quickstart lets you enable/disable "disasters and other events" and "race-specific events"

I did, but all I got was an annual Todash competition for my Space T-REXES. Maybe there are more, but not much was happening in the few hours I played so far.

Mr. Cali
Nov 22, 2007
I bought Legends yesterday after purchasing Distant Worlds and its first expansion earlier in the year. While I enjoyed the first part of the series, I was slightly put off by having to micromanage all of my defense fleets throughout my sprawling empire while also simultaneously managing at times multiple wars with enemy empires. I didn't feel that automate did a good enough job, for example sending a fleet from one side of my empire to deal with a threat that a fleet next door could take care of. I really wished there was some way of limiting certain fleets to certain sectors, etc.

I have to say I'm loving this new fleet posturing system with Legends. It is exactly what I was wishing for. That, on top of having borders and the vectoring make this game a complete package now. I only got to play for a couple of hours last night, but I had a blast and I'm greatly looking forward to this evening.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
What do you mean by fleet posturing? I haven't played in a while, and don't recall that

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

I loving told you guys this game was the poo poo! But I guess it was still in its infancy back then. But I KNEW this thing was going to take off.

The poo poo got kicked out of it in my old thread. I'm glad to see a new one with more people getting turned on to it. I still maintain it's one of the best 4X I've ever played.

Mr. Cali
Nov 22, 2007

Lprsti99 posted:

What do you mean by fleet posturing? I haven't played in a while, and don't recall that

It is a feature they added in Legends. Here's a detailed explaination:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2973167

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Mr. Cali posted:

It is a feature they added in Legends. Here's a detailed explaination:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2973167

I understood most of that, though the images not working is unhelpful. Still, thanks! Will look into it next time I play.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I would agree that the game has finally really clicked for me as well. Be sure to turn on most of the stuff above the minimap, it really provides a nice graphic for what's going on in space.

The leaders are good as well. I just wish they would totally redo the interface for designing ships, it drives me nuts. Oh and they will be adding a way to only design certain kinds of ships while leaving other kinds on automation. That will be very welcome.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I enjoyed this game, for all its rough edges, when I played it back with ROTS, and Legends looks to be solving most of the few issues I had with it (except for the maddening ship design UI/AI, which appears to be next patch's project). I'm glad I'm not alone in hating it, and being able to only redesign some of the empire's ships while leaving some hopefully-improved AI design logic to handle the ones I care less about (civilians mostly. :P) will be very welcome!

Except for one.

I never quite hit the sweet spot between game size and perfrmance, and in lategame my games would tend to get horribly choppy or start crashing when I try and load or save. Since I am a sucker for epic scope I fully concede that I might just be trying to make them too big for my system (i7 quad 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM) to handle, but is there any sort of guideline to what really makes the game chug and/or what sort of specs certain-sized games require? Is it a better performance/memory gain to reduce the number of stars/physical size of the galaxy or the number of starting empires, for example?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 2, 2012

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I'll just post here, despite the thread looking dead:
Is it normal that this game uses default Windows popups (for example when quitting the main menu)?
Also, does anyone maybe know the reason why sometimes the windows (tutorial help windows and the likes) act like I'm on 100% RAM usage and leave a trail of half-drawn windows when I drag them around?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

GrossMurpel posted:

I'll just post here, despite the thread looking dead:
Is it normal that this game uses default Windows popups (for example when quitting the main menu)?

Yes, I'm pretty sure all the dialog boxes are windows-standard, with just the font/background as a difference.

quote:

Also, does anyone maybe know the reason why sometimes the windows (tutorial help windows and the likes) act like I'm on 100% RAM usage and leave a trail of half-drawn windows when I drag them around?

You quite possibly are on 100% RAM usage. Resource-intensive does not even begin to describe this game.

I'd kind of shelved it due to waiting for the patch to the ship design system (and also Crusader Kings 2 eating my soul), but has there been any other big updates as yet?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

You quite possibly are on 100% RAM usage. Resource-intensive does not even begin to describe this game.

Naw, not even close. Everything else (okay, besides scrolling, that's a bit choppy) works swimmingly. I just unpaused for the first time actually and it seems that dragging the tutorial window around makes everything else gently caress up and lag.
Oh well I'm just gonna chalk that up to bugginess unless I stumble upon more of these things.
Thanks for the quick reply by the way. :)

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Are you running vanilla or the expansions? The vanilla engine had some optimisation problems. These have been reduced (not eliminated) in the two expansions. I still get a slight lag on closing windows, but the game runs pretty smoothly otherwise.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
No, I'm running Legends. Like I said, everything else works fine so this isn't that big a deal, just weird.
Another question: What do I do against hostile native populations? Can't seem to attack them and they make all my colonization attempts fail. Also, more or less related, where can I see how far my queued colony ships are (since they don't show up in the construction yard cause they get produced in colonies).

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 20, 2012

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

No, I'm running Legends. Like I said, everything else works fine so this isn't that big a deal, just weird.
Another question: What do I do against hostile native populations? Can't seem to attack them and they make all my colonization attempts fail. Also, more or less related, where can I see how far my queued colony ships are (since they don't show up in the construction yard cause they get produced in colonies).

You can invade hostile native populations using troop carriers (I think this gives a diplomatic penalty however), as for the colony ships, no idea.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Falcorum posted:

You can invade hostile native populations using troop carriers (I think this gives a diplomatic penalty however), as for the colony ships, no idea.

Heh, I tried to bomb them with regular military ships. Thanks!

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I stumbled upon a youtube video of this game and it seems really cool, like an actually fun version of MOO3. Considering buying it

tips
Feb 16, 2011

Man, I just picked up Legends to get my strategy fix until Warlock gets patched some more, and I forgot just how crazy this game is.

What are some good settings for a new game? I started a medium galaxy with 8 opponents and micromanaged everything just to get a grip on things, but I played for a couple hours without anything really interesting happening, so I'm not sure that's the way to do things. Is this different from other 4x games and you're supposed to start with a decently developed empire or something?

Honestly in ROTS I just picked the space dinosaurs and my diplomacy amounted to blowing up anything I came across and blitzkrieging homeworlds with troop ships, so I'm not sure I've ever really played the game how it's supposed to be played.

tips
Feb 16, 2011

Also there's a new expansion happening apparently.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

PUKED posted:

Man, I just picked up Legends to get my strategy fix until Warlock gets patched some more, and I forgot just how crazy this game is.

What are some good settings for a new game? I started a medium galaxy with 8 opponents and micromanaged everything just to get a grip on things, but I played for a couple hours without anything really interesting happening, so I'm not sure that's the way to do things. Is this different from other 4x games and you're supposed to start with a decently developed empire or something?

Honestly in ROTS I just picked the space dinosaurs and my diplomacy amounted to blowing up anything I came across and blitzkrieging homeworlds with troop ships, so I'm not sure I've ever really played the game how it's supposed to be played.

I don't think there is a 'way' to play this game. Sometimes I just start up a game with a fully formed empire and advanced tech, build a hardcore dreadnought and then put everything else on automatic while I travel around blowing up pirates and space monsters.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

PUKED posted:

It's good to set some things on automatic or allow the computer to suggest actions for you. You can set almost your whole empire on automatic if you want so you can see how things work or just get a feel for things. Setting everything to automatic and slowly taking control helped out a lot for me. It also helps to eliminate some of the micro things that you just don't want to mess with such as sending out miners and other such.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Grey Hunter is now doing an LP of the game. If you're a fan of unsubtle goon innuendo, head on over.

tips
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks, I'm getting the hang of it again. Big problem was I thought I'd just skip the tutorials, but I forgot just how... unique the UI in this game is. Seriously like playing Civilization using Microsoft Excel as a controller.

Actually been playing the hell out it. ROTS was too cumbersome and had too many problems for me to really get into for long, but Legends seems good so far, really liking the changes.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Mistayke posted:

I loving told you guys this game was the poo poo! But I guess it was still in its infancy back then. But I KNEW this thing was going to take off.

The poo poo got kicked out of it in my old thread. I'm glad to see a new one with more people getting turned on to it. I still maintain it's one of the best 4X I've ever played.

I only played vanilla, and I'm glad more has happened--I'm psyched to grab the expacks (probably down the road when I run out of other stuff in my personal queue).

But I *still* remember my definitive DW experience;

I grew an empire which occupied about 40% of the galaxy and ended up at war with multiple enemy empires. I started building a shitton of explorers and constructors to salvage all the inert hulks I could find, and stumbled upon a world destroying project. I finished building it and began flying to the enemy systems and destroying any problem planets without any muss or fuss. In this manner, I managed to conquer about 80% of the galaxy. Thinking I was basically 'done' I just puttered around finishing my program of alien extermination, when HALF MY EMPIRE SECEDED.

After I finished smiling like a moron over how awesome that was, I started changing policies, reducing taxes, and salvaging excess warships to try to convince my empire that I was doing the right thing. The former (majority) of my empire declared war on me, and I thought I was screwed (because it was a really nice empire), until a quarter of the secessionists seceded from the secession and, after a little bit, became my allies.

We banded together and reconquered the secessionists and standardized pleasure resorts everywhere we could put them. Bread and circuses for all my space bugs!

Anyway. After that experience, I was just like 'holy poo poo'. The only thing that really took my attention away from it was the satisfaction of how cool it was when everything fell apart, and I lost my taste for that and gravitated toward some 'story' and shooter games for a while for the lighter fare.

But this game is destined to be the useable dwarf fortress of the galaxy. It's incredible, and I think in a couple more xpacks, this could start getting poo poo like a EVE-alike plugin to do the DF style roguelike encounter of the empire you built in the main strategic game, or even outrageous poo poo like environmental physics to go with super-tech--like spreading or eliminating anomalous areas (nebulas, whatever) and maybe even the long term pregenerated history thing where you encounter those 'testing grounds' or battlefield wreckage zones--except they're *your* ships from *last* game hanging out where you left them. Their final fate at last known!

Also this game could use a parallel universe mechanic a la Mom, Moo2 (sort of) or star control 2. It's just begging for a race that hops out of rifts and raids you before going back to their parallel empire space with different systems and weird time/distance distortions and unique extra dimensional resources.

There. I'm done nerding out.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 25, 2012

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I wish this game would go on sale... :negative:... money is a little tight right now.

Is the original game by itself worth it, or is this the kind of game that DESPERATELY needs the expansions to make it fun? I've noticed if you buy them all together you save 10 dollars (:toot:).

Would buying the original game now and picking up the expansions later be worth it, or should I wait until I can afford all three together and seize them all at once?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If 2010-2011 were the time for roguelikes to suddenly get respect, this year might be a new dawn for space strategy: real time, turn-based, 4X, squad-based, combat... new and shiny stuff is coming out left and right. It'll be a brief morning though. Matrix might want to get on the damned trolley.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sky Shadowing posted:

I wish this game would go on sale... :negative:... money is a little tight right now.

Is the original game by itself worth it, or is this the kind of game that DESPERATELY needs the expansions to make it fun? I've noticed if you buy them all together you save 10 dollars (:toot:).

Would buying the original game now and picking up the expansions later be worth it, or should I wait until I can afford all three together and seize them all at once?

The original is playable and will give you a good feel for the game. If you enjoy that, then the expansions will just give you more of what you already like. If you don't like the base game, then the expansions will not make it better for you.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

This game looks right up my alley but gently caress, $90? What kind of pricing is that?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

This game looks right up my alley but gently caress, $90? What kind of pricing is that?

Stupid. The game is good but the pricing is WTF?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Lorini posted:

Stupid. The game is good but the pricing is WTF?

If it were even, like, $60 I would buy it in a second. Matrix has the most :psyduck: pricing.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Pick up the vanilla version for $40 on gamersgate. That gives you a great taste of the game.

In December when the Matrix sales roll around, you'll be amped for the expansions at $15 a pop. (Plus the new expansion for $30. Oh man, who am I kidding :negative: )

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's really perplexing, they could potentially double their lifetime sales by putting the game on Steam for $20, expansions for $10 and the whole bloody lot for $35 or something.

Even Spiderweb studios have put their Exile/Avernum series on Steam.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Edit: The Matrix deal is way better!

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 23, 2012

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Though the price is ridiculous, in the interest of fairness, if you buy the whole shebang all together (Distant Worlds + RotS + Legends), they knock a whole :10bux: off the price.

It is horribly ridiculous that they don't seem to acknowledge that putting the game on sale would do two things: 1.) increase total sales and 2.) increase awareness for the game, further increasing sales. Word of mouth is a powerful incentive.

Miasman
Aug 7, 2011

Oh, you!
I’d be straight in if this was a normal price.

After putting up with some seriously disappointing 4X guff recently, this looks right up my space alley. Not 70 odd quids worth though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I swear I could cut and paste from nearly every gaming forum about this game. Yes it's overpriced, no they aren't changing it, and literally hundreds of gamers have complained about it. I wish like hell they'd do something so every Distant Worlds thread doesn't look like a broken record. Clearly complaining does absolutely nothing. They are idiots and you just have to look at the price and say "I'll buy it anyway" or "not for me".

• Locked thread