Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alex P Corn
Jun 4, 2005

be careful what you dream for

SOMEBODY SERIOUSLY SPENT TEN BUCKS ON THIS

Spazz posted:

If it's too late to get in on this one let me know about the next one...

It's too late for the one Totoro and Roundboy are in on, but it looks like there is enough interest for a second round in the next few weeks. Email me.

alexcorn@gmail.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

Roundboy posted:

just going to post this here:

White House Petition to Hire more people for NFA transfers

Yeah, they need more people. I literally just called the BATFE to check my status. They told me I went pending 9/21. And the current wait time from pending to approval is hovering at 5 months now. I didn't happen to get in on this gem-tech buy. I ordered a swr trident in July.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.

Black Stormy posted:

You have a non-threaded 556?

Yeah, I have the 556 SCM (bought it in MA)

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

REVIVE AND QUESTION TIME

So we are around the corner from the cans showing up at the dealer, and then we start the 'transfer to another local dealer' process.

I am getting a bit nervous at the way down the line LEO signoff for a form 4. Can i do that 'early'? Ie can i print the form from the atf site, get my fingerprints done, leo signoff, and just wait for the local dealer to fill in his stuff?

I want to get a jump on any wait the leo might give on signoff. They dont need the serial of the can, etc right?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

You're supposed to have the form completely filled out before the CLEO signs off, but as long as the form isn't submitted to the ATF until your local dealer has the suppressor in his possession, there's no problem.

What the ATF doesn't want happening is a CLEO thinking they're signing off on one type of firearm and then it's actually used to transfer another type. Having the form completely filled out avoids this problem, assuming the CLEO actually reads the form.

This is also partially the reason why you have to print a form 1/4 doublesided, not on two separate sheets.

Alex P Corn
Jun 4, 2005

Actually I'm glad you mentioned that. You guys need to get me in touch with your local dealer so I can get a copy of his FFL and SOT. I sent payment to Gemtech about a week ago and they still haven't cashed the check but I expect that to happen any day now.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

No problem, we will get it to you soon. Totoro and I are using the same guy.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

craptacular can you talk about the cleaning requirements?

Gemtec is a bit confusing with this. is it really every 300 rounds, or never?

Alex p Corn : is that gmail cool for getting emailed FFL info ?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

You only have to clean the threads/mount on centerfire suppressors; the baffles don't need cleaning. Rimfires need cleaning. IIRC with the Outback I that I had it was immersion in solvents every 500 rounds. I haven't looked at the manual yet for the cleaning schedule for the Outback II but I imagine it would be similar, for optimum suppression. However you could probably let it go for longer with a II since it can be disassembled for mechanical cleaning. Solvents really didn't do much at all.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Craptacular posted:

You only have to clean the threads/mount on centerfire suppressors; the baffles don't need cleaning. Rimfires need cleaning. IIRC with the Outback I that I had it was immersion in solvents every 500 rounds. I haven't looked at the manual yet for the cleaning schedule for the Outback II but I imagine it would be similar, for optimum suppression. However you could probably let it go for longer with a II since it can be disassembled for mechanical cleaning. Solvents really didn't do much at all.

in re-reading the outback-IId manual, it seems you need to make a choice, to either clean it regularly or not.

if you choose to clean it, it has to be after every few hundred rounds, OR you just let it all build up and (probably) get a bit quieter.

i guess it just depends on what school of thought you are in. Clean it like a champ and deal with toxic lead soup or shoot the crap out of it and send it in for cleaning every large(thousands upon thousands) round count interval.

Alex P Corn
Jun 4, 2005

Roundboy posted:

Alex p Corn : is that gmail cool for getting emailed FFL info ?

Either alexcorn@gmail.com or veronagunsafe@gmail.com - it makes no difference to me.

The check to Gemtech cleared the bank today.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Roundboy posted:

in re-reading the outback-IId manual, it seems you need to make a choice, to either clean it regularly or not.

if you choose to clean it, it has to be after every few hundred rounds, OR you just let it all build up and (probably) get a bit quieter.

i guess it just depends on what school of thought you are in. Clean it like a champ and deal with toxic lead soup or shoot the crap out of it and send it in for cleaning every large(thousands upon thousands) round count interval.

The thing is with the Outback IID they seem to recommend every 150 rounds or so. That sounds pitifully low... is that just manufacturer cover your rear end stuff or do you really need it THAT often?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Read it again they say you either keep this thing clean, after low round counts to make sure you can even still get it open, or you treat it like a sealed can and just shoot it, and get it serviced after some high round count.

As a bonus, gemtech and others think the can gets quieter with Arvin buildup

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Suppressorchat update: examining possibility of forming a trust.

Also, I acquired a ton of CCI .22LR standard velocity ammunition.

Alex P Corn
Jun 4, 2005

How's this for a suppressor update:

powers
Jul 26, 2005

The Maller is an Amarrian frigate, used by hotdroppers.

~SMcD

Suffice it to say: poo poo just got real.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

We all know the DMV is slow, but they don't have poo poo on the ATF.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

It's volume + lol government workers.. Plus omg the government is shut down because congress :fistshake:

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

_firehawk posted:

We all know the DMV is slow, but they don't have poo poo on the ATF.

People have run the math on the number of tranfers done per year and the number of clerks the ATF branch has available and they only spend like 5 minutes on each transfer on average.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

They should add a fast track box. Basically "have you already passed a federal background check for your employment". That may speed thing up a bit. Well at least I think it would for me. I went pending in Sept. And I can't wait to get my SWR can. I was hoping for a Christmas present.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

_firehawk posted:

They should add a fast track box. Basically "have you already passed a federal background check for your employment". That may speed thing up a bit. Well at least I think it would for me. I went pending in Sept. And I can't wait to get my SWR can. I was hoping for a Christmas present.

Hell no. I've got coworkers with TS/SCI who have passed extensive federal background checks for their employment who I would not trust anywhere near a can. poo poo, some of them are law enforcement.

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

So I just got my paperwork in the mail... Now all the confusing stuff commences.

I have a few concerns about the Form 4 paperwork.
6: Is this my social security #, and what do I need to put in for Class?
9: "I DO" right?
15: Why the hell do I need a silencer? Can what I put here get my application refused?
LEO Signoff: I didn't see any sections for my local Sheriff to sign off on this paperwork.

Once the Form 4's are filled out I send one to the ATF and the other back to AlexPCorn, correct?

Next paper is the 18 922g5b.
1: Is this the FFL?
2: Is this myself?

Also, who should get this form?

Other than those forms, I know I need to contact my Sheriff to see if they will be doing my fingerprints. Also, I need to get some photos taken at Walmart or something.

I just want to make sure I do this right the first time so I don't waste 6 months or more .

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

NFA centric boards have all the faq on what to fill out where

Pafoa has good sit on every pa county and how NFA friendly the sheriff is. But consider a trust, especially if you have family or are considering more then one item. Totoro and i are going that route because it's so easy

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

I may just go the LEO route just because it's only a couple extra weeks and at this point I have nobody I want to leave this drat thing to if I die.

(except you <3 Roundboy <3)

Edit: also...
http://www.silencerresearch.com/Silencerguide.pdf

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 19, 2011

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

lifenomad posted:

So I just got my paperwork in the mail... Now all the confusing stuff commences.

I have a few concerns about the Form 4 paperwork.
6: Is this my social security #, and what do I need to put in for Class?
9: "I DO" right?
15: Why the hell do I need a silencer? Can what I put here get my application refused?
LEO Signoff: I didn't see any sections for my local Sheriff to sign off on this paperwork.

Once the Form 4's are filled out I send one to the ATF and the other back to AlexPCorn, correct?

Next paper is the 18 922g5b.
1: Is this the FFL?
2: Is this myself?

Also, who should get this form?

Other than those forms, I know I need to contact my Sheriff to see if they will be doing my fingerprints. Also, I need to get some photos taken at Walmart or something.

I just want to make sure I do this right the first time so I don't waste 6 months or more .

6. You're not an SOT, so this is blank.

9. The transferor (Alex P Corn) is supposed to choose this, not you.

15. Anything not an illegal purpose or suggesting an illegal purpose should be approved. Basically this box is just for bureaucratic rear end-covering on the ATF's part. There's no reason to use anything other than "All lawful purposes".

The CLEO signoff is section 17 on page 2. Make sure you print out pages 1 and 2 of the form double-sided on the same sheet of paper, the ATF will reject it it you don't.

Put your name in boxes 1 and 2 on the citizenship form, you're certifying your own citizenship status. That form goes to the ATF with the completed form 4's, fingerprint card and check.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 19, 2011

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

Thanks for the help TFR.

I initially thought of just using "Sporting Purposes" for section 15.

Legalese and legal documents make me feel dumb.

Alex P Corn
Jun 4, 2005

Craptacular beat me, thanks.

Everything I sent you goes to the ATF. They need BOTH copies of the Form 4. When they process it, they'll keep one copy and send me the other copy. Then you come get your can and you take the approved Form 4 with you.

Edit: Concerning choosing I DO or I DO NOT give consent for status updates, I left it blank. You should leave it blank too, I've never seen anybody answer it. I think it is so that if you call to pester them about the status of your transfer they can give you an update.

Don't ever call them about the status of a transfer. Unless it's been weeks longer than transfers are typically taking.

A handy checklist:

• Form 4 (with photo, LEO signature)
  • Form 4 (with photo, LEO signature)
  • Certificate of Compliance
  • Fingerprints
  • Fingerprints

Alex P Corn fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 19, 2011

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Alex P Corn posted:

Edit: Concerning choosing I DO or I DO NOT give consent for status updates, I left it blank. You should leave it blank too, I've never seen anybody answer it. I think it is so that if you call to pester them about the status of your transfer they can give you an update.
If it's left blank I'd assume the ATF would interpret that as "DO NOT". The reason it's there is because the form is a tax document and the transferor is the one who's responsible to pay it (although the transferee pays in practice), so the ATF can't release that tax data to anyone else unless specifically given permission by the transferor/tax payer.

Oh yeah and just send them a normal personal check (instead of a money order), so you can at least see that they've cashed it and know that they've received the transfer paperwork. They cash the checks right away though, so when they cash it doesn't tell you anything about how long the transfer will take.

Mishra
Dec 12, 2007

_firehawk posted:

I had to get fingerprinted just to volunteer at a school with my SCI. There's no central database and as was said there were plenty of my coworkers I wouldn't trust with a can

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

Alex P Corn posted:

Don't ever call them about the status of a transfer. Unless it's been weeks longer than transfers are typically taking.

Please Explain.

Alex P Corn
Jun 4, 2005

_firehawk posted:

Please Explain.

There are only a handful of agents working on transfers. Every minute they spend on the phone digging through stacks of paperwork for impatient transferees is a minute they aren't spending working on paperwork. Please don't bother them.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

Alex P Corn posted:

There are only a handful of agents working on transfers. Every minute they spend on the phone digging through stacks of paperwork for impatient transferees is a minute they aren't spending working on paperwork. Please don't bother them.

I have called, and they have a receptionist to answer your questions. I haven't asked to be connected to my examiner though. But for general inqueries regarding if you have been approved, it suffices.

Link to examiners
http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2...ing-by-atf.html

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Alex,

When is the next group buy happening? I have someone else interested as well. Do you have the exact prices for each one? If it has to be on the hush hush just PM it to me.

Alex P Corn
Jun 4, 2005

Spazz posted:

Alex,

When is the next group buy happening? I have someone else interested as well. Do you have the exact prices for each one? If it has to be on the hush hush just PM it to me.

As soon as there is interest. Even a couple of people will be enough because I want to buy more cans for the shop, so we can easily hit the minimum 6. I don't have PMs so email me at alexcorn@gmail.com or veronagunsafe@gmail.com and I'll get you prices. Basically, goon price is dealer cost + shipping. (I make my money on the difference between dealer cost and dealer 6-or-more cost.)

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

im honestly debating a .30 cal rifle can. But i want to do some more research first.

Are these still going to be gemtech?

Alex P Corn
Jun 4, 2005

Roundboy posted:

im honestly debating a .30 cal rifle can. But i want to do some more research first.

Are these still going to be gemtech?

I can also get YHM suppressors. I actually just got a YHM Phantom in 7.62 yesterday, but I haven't taken any pictures yet.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I will be in for a tax-rebate season buy if the pistol I am trying to buy can be adapted to 1/2x28 and my return is as healthy as it should be. Is there any shop that comes recommended for custom adapters?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Oh hey can you get a discount on any suppressors Gemtech does the tax rebate for?

We are rapidly approaching that season

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

YESSS Alex time to finish my Trust paperwork. Or not. I dunno.

I have tight pants (for the last long wait :/ )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Oh baby

• Locked thread