Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malachite
Mar 2, 2004

Hot Dog Day #63 posted:

Hey, can anyone comment on whether pyromancer is a viable build? Debating what to go with, don't want to get too far down the tree and realize it sucks.

I've been playing a pyro focusing on attunement & vitality. I have the Lordvessel so I guess I'm a decent ways through the game. Its perfectly viable but you'll need to be good at dodging, unless you plan on raising endurance a lot. One warning though, theres multiple bosses that are completely immune to fire. Pyro is kind of a hybrid in that as long as you're upgrading your flame, you can still melee fairly well.

At this point, I'm using my spells more than my weapons. Multiple scrolls of combustion & a strong flame is rocking most things. I don't know how a great weapon compares, but my strongest spell does about 650 at level 45ish. The beginning was rather tough, so focus on strength & dexterity first! Get them up to about 16 and you're set for most of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Paino posted:

The second boss (well, third including the prologue) is pretty silly. In DS, Maneater actually punished you for taking too long by summoning a companion; this time there's no logic to it, they just pull it out of their asses because gently caress you, this is Dark Souls, bitch. Oh, and if they manage to be one in front of you and one behind (pretty easy considering their range of movement) you'll die regardless of how well you play.

So it's true, this game just forces you to play co-op to kill certain bosses. Pretty disappointing.
There's plenty of people who've posted videos of them solo'ing the belltower gargoyles. Without the Draketooth Sword for that matter.

One guy even does it shirtless. With a halberd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDtWlLsRlLI&feature=player_detailpage#t=150s

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Paino posted:

The second boss (well, third including the prologue) is pretty silly. In DS, Maneater actually punished you for taking too long by summoning a companion; this time there's no logic to it, they just pull it out of their asses because gently caress you, this is Dark Souls, bitch. Oh, and if they manage to be one in front of you and one behind (pretty easy considering their range of movement) you'll die regardless of how well you play.

So it's true, this game just forces you to play co-op to kill certain bosses. Pretty disappointing.

Can't wait till you get to the Anor Londo boss.

E: Also its not like you could avoid the second Maneater by killing the first one fast enough. He always summons it before he dies.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 8, 2011

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Paino posted:

So is the answer to use a humanity? Will Lautrec's sign show up? I've been trying to avoid spoilers, but I couldn't help my self on this guy.

Rascyc posted:

There's plenty of people who've posted videos of them solo'ing the belltower gargoyles. Without the Draketooth Sword for that matter.

I came close. With a halberd. But then they decided to stop attacking normally at all and just flame breath non stop for a full minute so I ran out of rooftop.

E:
Ah I see, with the resin he kills of the first one so fast the other one isn't a factor. I've been wary of using items I don't know how to replenish, just for experimentation.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 8, 2011

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008
This loving game. God drat. I know the Undead Burg by heart at this point

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Managed to kill the Gaping Dragon with the help of two phantoms. They even cut off the tail for me and set me up with that sweet Final Fantasy axe.

Thought I'd wait a bit with Blighttown because everyone says it's a terrible place, and went to the garde instead for the Elite Knight Armor (Straight upgrade all of it). Had a whack at the butterfly too while I was there. Died and placed a sign, got summoned by some guy with a big fuckoff sword that killed everything in two hits, even the golems. Killed the butterfly and all that.

What's weird is, the first time, when I was alive I found a summon sign under a bush beneath the staircase leading to the butterfly. It summoned a "Witch <name>" that was very much an NPC that I had never seen before. Anyone else seen it?

Job For A Pirate
Apr 27, 2008
I couldn't figure out how to summon Solaire even with a humanity so I ended up taking all day to solo the Bell Gargoyles with the Gargoyle Axe.

Also how do you summon people? I've been summoned by people but I never see any blues to summon others... to much level disparity? missing an item?

*edit* where do i buy spells? I've seen 2 miracle dealers and no spell dealers so far..

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Job For A Pirate posted:

I couldn't figure out how to summon Solaire even with a humanity so I ended up taking all day to solo the Bell Gargoyles with the Gargoyle Axe.

Also how do you summon people? I've been summoned by people but I never see any blues to summon others... to much level disparity? missing an item?

You need to be human, but other than that there aren't any requirements.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Foxhound posted:

What's weird is, the first time, when I was alive I found a summon sign under a bush beneath the staircase leading to the butterfly. It summoned a "Witch <name>" that was very much an NPC that I had never seen before. Anyone else seen it?

Yeah, she's a secret summon or something.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You know I kinda wish the Draketooth Sword and Lightning Spear weren't in the game. Seems like there isn't too much motivation beyond around messing to not use those two weapons. Sure they may not scale, but their damage params are so high as it is for a first playthrough.

I guess in a way they're a bone to be thrown to make the game a bit easier?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I gotta say I'm kinda disappointed with the few bosses I've fought so far. I haven't died more than once on any of them, dying only to the Capra Demon and Quelaag (got one-shot by her fire venting area attack that comes out real fast). Are there bosses like the Flamelurker and False King to look forward to? Just good ol' fashioned throwdowns and not giant things you stab in the rear end? So far the black knights have provided the most challenge in the game.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Ugh just lost my first big chunk of humanity in Blighttown. Got knocked off a platform by a barbarian while I had 9 humanity (and was human), then got killed by the dogs and ghoul by the bonfire. :( That was pretty much all the humanity items I'd gathered throughout the game. Didn't even get any from the rats in the sewer even though I had 10 humanity the whole time in that area.

Wish there was a way to bank this stuff. I don't even care for any of the drops in the area so I wish I could just put it away and keep it safe for later :(

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Smelly posted:

After the second bell spoiler:

Yurt 2.0 and his buddies are kicking my rear end.

Any tips?

I assume you mean fighting Lautrec with the Black Eye Orb: Run all the way upstairs to try and separate them. It helps a lot if you can kill the sorcerer at this point. I think he has some attacks that will penetrate through your shields defense (or they're magic, or whatever, I don't know) After that its not too hard, just jump back from his attacks and slice him. I also used all my Fire Orbs although getting off ranged attacks against them is kind of a pain.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 8, 2011

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Rascyc posted:

Yeah well there are also videos of japanese dudes speed-playing Super Mario Bros 3 in 15 minutes. I'm very happy for that shirtless guy with a halberd, but my point was that, as underlined by several reviews and players, this game doesn't know what "fair" means. Unlike the first DS, it just seems to throw random poo poo at you and coop is simply necessary to survive. Still one hell of a game, but way less balanced than the first.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Rascyc posted:

You know I kinda wish the Draketooth Sword and Lightning Spear weren't in the game. Seems like there isn't too much motivation beyond around messing to not use those two weapons. Sure they may not scale, but their damage params are so high as it is for a first playthrough.
If you go to the catacombs before Sen Fortress, you can pretty easily make a +5 fire weapon which will outclass both of those.

Are there are good 100% phys block shields around 20 str with decent stability? I have some giant badass shields, but they require a lot more strength than I am likely to have soon. The closest thing that fits the bill I have is the eagle shield, but upgrading it seems to have a minimal effect on stability when compared to the smaller shields.

Edit: What kind of strength does the shield made from the butterfly soul require?

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 8, 2011

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I just paid 90k souls to absolve my sins so that I could rescue the pyromancer trainer that I had accidentally hit. And now he doesn't even appear in the sewers :shepface:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Partial Octopus posted:

I just paid 90k souls to absolve my sins so that I could rescue the pyromancer trainer that I had accidentally hit. And now he doesn't even appear in the sewers :shepface:

He might be at Firelink now.

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

Partial Octopus posted:

Try going back to firelink, now that he's free and doesn't want to murder you he's probably where he should be there.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Smelly posted:

He might be at Firelink now.

I was just there and didn't see him. The bonfire is shut down there too and I'm already at Anor Londo. Am I hosed?

edit: where is he supposed to be at firelink?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So what the hell was this poo poo, some dude invaded and he had two ghost players (I assume) with him that I couldn't even target or damage but they could hit me (and killed me)?

loving retarded.

Edit: Really glad they made the whole "can't do anything online unless you're human" system, because the pvp in this game has always been terrible. It's either one guy who's bored, continually invading people and got nothing to lose vs. you trying to play the game and then some being interrupted by some laggy moron mini-boss that usually takes forever to kill because, well it's a person and "herp derp gonna run away now that I'm low on health, have fun chasing me for 30 minutes because you certainly can't ignore me!!!"

:ughh:

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 8, 2011

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Filthy Monkey posted:

If you go to the catacombs before Sen Fortress, you can pretty easily make a +5 fire weapon which will outclass both of those weapons.

Did you make that +5 fire weapon from a base weapon like a Falchion or Longsword?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I guess I grinded ahead of the curve or something because the Capra demon went down in less than thirty seconds, and the bell gargoyles were a pair of scrubs. This is weird because the taurus demon probably killed me 20 times or more.

The drake sword might as well be a cheat code if you're strong enough to rock it one-handed.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Paino posted:

Yeah well there are also videos of japanese dudes speed-playing Super Mario Bros 3 in 15 minutes. I'm very happy for that shirtless guy with a halberd, but my point was that, as underlined by several reviews and players, this game doesn't know what "fair" means. Unlike the first DS, it just seems to throw random poo poo at you and coop is simply necessary to survive. Still one hell of a game, but way less balanced than the first.

Dude watch that video, its not any speedrun poo poo. The guy isn't even that good. Quite honestly if you can't solo the gargoyles (one of which starts at half HP) then you simply need to get better.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!
I beat the Gargoyles by using the gold pine resin you find in the first area to kill one off as quickly as possible.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Two questions:

1. Where can I find/buy large titanite shards? It sounds like I need a bunch and I've randomly come across a grand total of two of them in 15 hours of game time.

2. I can't go more than a few feet into Blighttown without getting :toxx:ed (thanks for two loving poison statuses that function identically but require separate antidotes, From!). Any advice on how to avoid this?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Almost Smart posted:

2. I can't go more than a few feet into Blighttown without getting :toxx:ed (thanks for two loving poison statuses that function identically but require separate antidotes, From!). Any advice on how to avoid this?
The Gargoyle Axe is one of the few sources of Toxic resist I know of. Thankfully the dudes who throw the toxic daggers stay dead once you kill them.

Paino posted:

I dunno I thought the gargoyles were pretty fair. The attacks are well telegraphed, there's no targeting antics aside from if someone flies over you (which does get kinda lovely, I'll admit), and you practically have to try to fall off. The attacks themselves are surprisingly weak enough to block reliably.

The only trick to the fight is just burning down one gargoyle as soon as possible. Try lightning resin, which you buy from the merchant in the undead burg.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Man I'm having terrible luck actually getting summoned. After sitting around for literally hours at both the gargoyles and capra I've been summoned twice for capra. We beat him easily both times at least. I want to be a Knight of the Sun :qq:

Also, if anyone is having trouble with moonlight butterfly or wants to make an easy fight even easier, there's an NPC phantom whose sign is hiden in the ruined building right before the fight. The thing was at something like 10% hp before it even landed.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Partial Octopus posted:

I was just there and didn't see him. The bonfire is shut down there too and I'm already at Anor Londo. Am I hosed?

edit: where is he supposed to be at firelink?

He's sitting in a corner just up the stairs from the bonfire.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

Mr. Crow posted:

So what the hell was this poo poo, some dude invaded and he had two ghost players (I assume) with him that I couldn't even target or damage but they could hit me (and killed me)?

loving retarded.

Where did this happen?

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Volitaire posted:

Dude watch that video, its not any speedrun poo poo. The guy isn't even that good. Quite honestly if you can't solo the gargoyles (one of which starts at half HP) then you simply need to get better.

Yeah I watched that video, the guy is naked but uses a enchanted halberd that deals loving 147 dmg per hit, while my spear+2 is like 30dps. So yeah you're kind of right that the guy isn't a big deal, but his weapon certainly is.

Sure I'll farm poo poo and get buff and at some point I'll kill them but meh.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

Where did this happen?

Darkroot Gardens.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Mr. Crow posted:

loving retarded.
This sounds like the heart of the forest area, in darkroot garden. Those ghosts are just normal enemies that are on the side of the people who join the Covenant to defend the forest.

People in that Covenant get summoned to defend the forest from trespassers.

You can hit those ghosts while cursed, and I believe in that area you can also use magic weapons.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

Mr. Crow posted:

Darkroot Gardens.

Are you sure you were invaded? There are NPCs in that area that look and behave exactly like you described.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
edit: beaten

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Paino posted:

Yeah I watched that video, the guy is naked but uses a enchanted halberd that deals loving 147 dmg per hit, while my spear+2 is like 30dps. So yeah you're kind of right that the guy isn't a big deal, but his weapon certainly is.

He probably is just using gold pine resin.

Rascyc posted:

Did you make that +5 fire weapon from a base weapon like a Falchion or Longsword?
I used an Iaido for something different, but you can use whatever you think appropriate. A longsword might be better in the long run. Longswords do have a nice move set.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Is there a quick way from the start/entrance of blight town back to kindlefire shrine?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Welp.

Just lost 5 humanity and 10k souls because my controller batteries died.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Paino posted:

Find some gold pine resin it will gently caress them up.

[e]I had a spear+1 when I beat them.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Rascyc posted:

I dunno I thought the gargoyles were pretty fair. The attacks are well telegraphed, there's no targeting antics aside from if someone flies over you (which does get kinda lovely, I'll admit), and you practically have to try to fall off. The attacks themselves are surprisingly weak enough to block reliably.

The only trick to the fight is just burning down one gargoyle as soon as possible. Try lightning resin, which you buy from the merchant in the undead burg.

Well I will obviously use the lightning resin now, but am I happy that the first real boss was so randomly difficult that I had to look for help in a forum? No. If that's how the rest of Dark Soul's gonna be, fine, but gently caress From's artistic vision/full immersion poo poo. If boss design is so extreme to become unfair then DS will only be enojoyable via gamefaqs or co-op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Man the demon ruins are absolutely barren in terms of online presence. Not a single message or soul mark for miles. But then again the only reason I'm looking for them in the first place is because this place terrifies me

• Locked thread