Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

Wow, unboxing videos are not known for their quality or anything but this one is pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Spent my first two hours in a From Software game tonight! Actually managed to avoid dying more than twice in that time! Squint's LP of Demon's Souls taught me to expect the unexpected.

It did not, however, teach me to expect flaming barrels.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost
I attempted the Taurus Demon twice, and on the third time he apparently just got tired of living and threw himself off the castle ramparts about five seconds into the fight. It was a fairly anti-climatic end for him. :(

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Just successfully killed the first big skeleton for the first time...thats 40 min down the drain...:gbsmith: It's so good.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Darth Windu posted:

It feels...stiffer. The attacks are all different - I was an expert with the longsword in Demon Souls, but this is taking some getting used to. Just the addition of the leaping attack and kick are throwing me off...what is the kick even for? It doesn't seem to break shields like it did in DeS.

Gonna agree with this. I wouldn't say it feels stiff, but compared to DeS everything feels a little slower. Definitely need to be a little more deliberate when it comes to attacks and rolls.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I never did get into Demon Souls too much, but I remember hearing Heavy Armor just didn't work at all. Is Heavy Armor better this time? I always liked going Heavy Armor for the first run in a RPG for the first run or so.

Zero000
Mar 8, 2008

Woof.
So after three days of playing the US version so far, I've noticed that netplay with Japanese people gets kinda laggy to the point where the FPS drops to about 8-13 fps. Couldn't really find any US midnight release phantoms yet though, so I couldn't test the connection

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I never did get into Demon Souls too much, but I remember hearing Heavy Armor just didn't work at all. Is Heavy Armor better this time? I always liked going Heavy Armor for the first run in a RPG for the first run or so.
Yeah, it's much better because it makes it so some attacks don't hitstun you.

However, in my game recently I haven't gotten any powerful heavy armor recently but I keep getting more and more awesome light armor, to the extent that my best light armor has significantly better protection across the board than my best heavy armor, except the heavy armor prevents hitstunning.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, it's much better because it makes it so some attacks don't hitstun you.

What, like Hyper Armor in fighting games?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Volitaire posted:

Gonna agree with this. I wouldn't say it feels stiff, but compared to DeS everything feels a little slower. Definitely need to be a little more deliberate when it comes to attacks and rolls.

Make sure you're not making the mistake of comparing your high level DeS character to your current low level DaS character. The combat feels pretty much exactly the same in my opinion save for the deliberate changes in controls/abilities they made.

Heavy armor is better this time. You can roll properly in it eventually if your Dex is high enough.

G.I. Jaw posted:

I attempted the Taurus Demon twice, and on the third time he apparently just got tired of living and threw himself off the castle ramparts about five seconds into the fight. It was a fairly anti-climatic end for him. :(

Get used to this. I've killed like 3 bosses where I've been kind of mystified about how I actually killed the thing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Orange Crush Rush posted:

What, like Hyper Armor in fighting games?
Yes. Maybe that should go in the OP too, if it isn't there already. It's a significant change to the game.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Don't forget to up your poise stat in combination with heavy armor to never be interrupted again!

...except for some of the craziest attacks in the game anyway...

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Ralconn posted:

Wow, unboxing videos are not known for their quality or anything but this one is pretty bad.

Yeah, but I didn't feel like wading through the PAL unboxing videos after I found this one.

Anyways, I managed to hit rank 20 on preparetodie. Arggghg 15 more ranks, time to gamble this poo poo.

Futurepress just put up another scan from their guide, but it's like slightly spoilery so just sayin.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Well this is the email I just got from Amazon.

quote:

We're sorry for the delay in shipping the order you placed on September 18 2011 (Order# XXX). We have good news -- the order is now being shipped! You should receive a shipping notification shortly, within the next business day, for the following item(s):

"Dark Souls Collector's Edition"

Probably not getting it today, but I guess I won't cancel. Hopefully this delay isn't too bad.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

ErIog posted:

Make sure you're not making the mistake of comparing your high level DeS character to your current low level DaS character. The combat feels pretty much exactly the same in my opinion save for the deliberate changes in controls/abilities they made.

The combat feels quite different to me too and it took a while to get adjusted. Everything is a bit slower and clunkier than in Demon's Souls. Missed swings leave you wide open for much longer than before now and rolling is a lot less useful too. Plus healing takes a long, long time compared to Demon's Souls. I constantly find myself only just having enough time to get my shield back up after healing, and just as often not getting it back up in time.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Weird...I adjusted to Dark's combat in seconds, and I played Demon's last just a month or two ago. I barely feel any difference, other than some of the attack animations being changed.

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

qbert posted:

Well this is the email I just got from Amazon.

Probably not getting it today, but I guess I won't cancel. Hopefully this delay isn't too bad.

Same. Surprise, though! Mine came literally 5 minutes after it changed to "shipping soon" so I can't cancel even if I wanted to. Smarmy business practice to be honest. Whatever. This is the first time I've had this happen with the release date shipping but it still sucks something fierce.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

Weird...I adjusted to Dark's combat in seconds, and I played Demon's last just a month or two ago. I barely feel any difference, other than some of the attack animations being changed.

Well maybe it's just because I'm using a big loving axe this time, I dunno. I'm not saying I struggled with it or anything, I practically strolled through the Undead Burg first time.

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

I got that same email and after I got it the status changed to shipping soon and gave the 4th as the date it would arrive. I'm assuming I will get it later on today more than likely. If I don't I'll probably just go buy the regular edition of the game and play that and when the collectors edition comes just take out the game (which is wrapped) and just refund that.

Also:

quote:

"Amazon :When we offer an item for Release-Date Delivery, we need to be extra careful in working with our shippers to honor the release date restrictions specified by the product vendors. Sometimes this requires us to process orders outside of our normal procedures, which may result in less detailed tracking information displayed in Your Account."

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
So far I'm liking this about as much as Demon's Souls... though the frame rate seems pretty sluggish to me, and it's already hard locked my 360 within the first few hours. Hopefully just a fluke.

I think I'm going to drop Thief and restart with Knight tomorrow to get the armor early on. I picked Thief mostly for the free key, but from what I've seen so far it seems to merely be a shortcut to get you into areas you'd normally be visiting much later anyway, so all you can really do is look around and then get killed (faster than usual that is). I can see how that'd appeal to a lot of people though.

Seconding what others are saying about the combat seeming more finicky. Can't put my finger on what it is though. The difficulty in general seems higher too, with the density and general dickishness of enemies even in the first area (not counting the tutorial) giving me a lot more trouble than I remember having at the beginning of Demon's. Could just be the fact that it's 4am.

Anyway, aside from those minor gripes, it's been really fun/terrifying so far.

Spoiler question regarding a somewhat hidden(?) thing in the tutorial:
Before you get carried off by the huge bird, you can walk off to the right and stand by the nest with eggs in it, where a voice asks for something soft and warm. Anyone know what you can do here? I assume it must be something obtainable in the tutorial since you can't get back.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Got the same e-mail.

Guess we'll see what happens in just a scant few hours.

In any case I fully intend on putting no points in vitality when I play the game. How viable would you guys with the game think this could be?

spoiler answer for the question above me That's a trading spot for items just like in the previous game. Which means you can return to the asylum!

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 4, 2011

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Skunk Ape posted:

Spoiler question regarding a somewhat hidden(?) thing in the tutorial:
Before you get carried off by the huge bird, you can walk off to the right and stand by the nest with eggs in it, where a voice asks for something soft and warm. Anyone know what you can do here? I assume it must be something obtainable in the tutorial since you can't get back.

It's a secret merchant that you can trade certain items with for other more valuable items. You can get back to the asylum to do this

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Initial impressions:

The combat is a lot better. Adding kicks and lunging attacks and weapon-specific stuff like the weird dashing-backwards-while-attacking-forwards attack with the Estoc add variety that was missing in Demon's Souls. I didn't know it was missing until playing around with this though.

The (first boss spoiler) Taurus Demon is an rear end in a top hat but it's pretty genius that you can trick him into jumping off the bridge. I managed to kill him with melee using the magic sword in the Valley of Drakes or whatever, but only after about 7 deaths due to my not noticing that there was a ladder to climb up and kill the arrow guys.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

CVG uploaded a side-by-side comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbFGRsI8waA&hd=1

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Skunk Ape posted:

So far I'm liking this about as much as Demon's Souls... though the frame rate seems pretty sluggish to me, and it's already hard locked my 360 within the first few hours. Hopefully just a fluke.

I think I'm going to drop Thief and restart with Knight tomorrow to get the armor early on. I picked Thief mostly for the free key, but from what I've seen so far it seems to merely be a shortcut to get you into areas you'd normally be visiting much later anyway, so all you can really do is look around and then get killed (faster than usual that is). I can see how that'd appeal to a lot of people though.

Seconding what others are saying about the combat seeming more finicky. Can't put my finger on what it is though. The difficulty in general seems higher too, with the density and general dickishness of enemies even in the first area (not counting the tutorial) giving me a lot more trouble than I remember having at the beginning of Demon's. Could just be the fact that it's 4am.

Anyway, aside from those minor gripes, it's been really fun/terrifying so far.

Not to be an annoying "YEAH BUT" sort of penis man, but the elements you've labelled as gripes here are actually plus points for me, especially with regards to massively dickish enemies.

OH GOD FRIDAY COME ON

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Gyoru posted:

CVG uploaded a side-by-side comparison.

Doesn't seem to be a big difference between the two, ps3 version looks a bit darker but i think that can be fixed in the settings.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Yeah, seem pretty similar. Noticed a little slowdown with too many particle effects on the 360 version. It's possibly worth noting that at Eurogamer Expo, all the demo machine were running on PS3.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Gazmachine posted:

Not to be an annoying "YEAH BUT" sort of penis man, but the elements you've labelled as gripes here are actually plus points for me, especially with regards to massively dickish enemies.

Slowdown and freezes are plus points now? What kind of masochists have we turned into?!

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Leyburn posted:

Slowdown and freezes are plus points now? What kind of masochists have we turned into?!

Hah, oh yeah, forgot he wrote that.

There's no frame rate issues really - it's a particular enemy who uses magic to slow down your frame rate, freezing your system if you take too long to kill him.

I have no doubt in my mind they considered adding an enemy like this.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Quick report, for anyone who might care, from the 360 version of the game, not installed to the hard drive. About four and a half hours in.

Death count: 21
Bullshit death count: 3

The game runs perfectly smoothly, even not installed. I ran into a single occurrence of noticeable framerate dip, in the tutorial area when literally nothing was happening. Very strange. First death was to the tutorial demon, caused by poor grasp of the controls (I was instinctively pulling left trigger to block). Speaking of, the bumpers aren't really a big deal to use once you get used to them, which takes about an hour.

There was a lot of frustration in the Undead Burg area, particularly with one room between the bonfire and the first (non-tutorial) boss fight, and take it from me when I say to always lure enemies toward you, rather than running toward them.

I picked up a spear from a vendor and love the playstyle it presents, but now my spear is about to break, and I killed the merchant because a message on the ground told me to, leaving me with no way to replace it until I find another. In case you were wondering the merchant drops a badass katana when you kill him, along with the unique key he sells.

I managed to kill the Taurus Demon by tricking him into circle-strafing off the gap in the bridge railing.

Biggest soul loss count so far: 8000-something, died after killing the Taurus Demon by dragon fire, then tried to rush back out of panic. Don't do that!

I put up a message by the dragon which said "try running straight through." An hour later I come back to find it has 0 votes. Another nearby message that said "need weapon" had 7. 360 users aren't so smart sometimes.

And now, a "loving GAMESTOP" story:
I preordered Sunday evening, and the employee told me they could not take a preorder for the special edition, only the regular. Tonight when the same employee was ringing up receipts, he told the guy just after me (who had not preordered at all) that they had one collector's edition left and that he could buy it if he wanted. The guy took it, of course, and I went home with the standard edition.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Gotta stop reading the thread..3 more days :ohdear: I really hope shopto ship it early so I get it before Friday :smith:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ErIog posted:

Its just the little things that take some getting used too. For instance, the 2-handed longsword R1 combo is essentially the same as in DeS, but the downward strike takes like a half second longer.

Regardless, I'm loving it.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
Dropping extras of all the terrible armor drops I have. Bwahahaha

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Funkmaster General posted:

Biggest soul loss count so far: 8000-something, died after killing the Taurus Demon by dragon fire, then tried to rush back out of panic. Don't do that!

I think my game sort of glitched out at the spoiler part. The thing didn't trigger and I just moseyed on along without a care in the world.

Then when I went down the stairs the dragon triggered.

Also, dang it I didn't know there was a merchant in the Burg.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Oh my God. These Bell Gargoyles. These Bell Gargoyles. I knew something was fishy when they showed a whole row of them on the roof. I think I'm having more trouble here than with any Demon's Souls boss, already.

I feel like this game is several leagues more difficult than Demon's Souls. Also, I'm noticing that one of the more annoying aspects of the healing system is that if you make a minor mistake against a little guy, there are times where you're better off just running back to the bonfire and starting all over again, especially if you know there's a boss up ahead. I guess that's part of the game but it was nice in Demon's Souls having the ability to start a boss fight without having to worry about your limited resources already getting half-used up.

Oh, and... I picked up a unique Soul item it was in the temple, guarded by a giant knight, right before the bell gargoyle. It said it had some unique effect when used, so I consumed it thinking it would go into effect, but all it did was raise my Humanity to a high level. Did I mess up? I think that maybe I was supposed to offer it to the bonfire or something instead.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Anyone know if gamestop in canada is going to have the dark souls guide? From the promo it looks amazing however i can find anything about it on their website.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Oh boy. That item you're talking about can be given to someone in the Firelink Shrine for a reward. Don't worry about it though, there are more throughout the game.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Cephas posted:

Oh my God. These Bell Gargoyles. These Bell Gargoyles. I knew something was fishy when they showed a whole row of them on the roof. I think I'm having more trouble here than with any Demon's Souls boss, already.

I feel like this game is several leagues more difficult than Demon's Souls. Also, I'm noticing that one of the more annoying aspects of the healing system is that if you make a minor mistake against a little guy, there are times where you're better off just running back to the bonfire and starting all over again, especially if you know there's a boss up ahead. I guess that's part of the game but it was nice in Demon's Souls having the ability to start a boss fight without having to worry about your limited resources already getting half-used up.

If you time it just right you can weave through the gauntlet of zombies right before that boss. I got very good at that :shobon:

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
So I'm really on the wall about which version to pick up. I want to pick it up on 360, but am worried its community will be way smaller due to the lack of japenese players and existing fanbase. Any opinions on this? I have both consoles, 360 is just my system of choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Cephas posted:

Oh, and... I picked up a unique Soul item it was in the temple, guarded by a giant knight, right before the bell gargoyle. It said it had some unique effect when used, so I consumed it thinking it would go into effect, but all it did was raise my Humanity to a high level. Did I mess up? I think that maybe I was supposed to offer it to the bonfire or something instead.

I did this too, if you consider the explanation of a poorly explained game mechanic a spoiler, then those items are used to reinforce your estus flask. Or at least that's what the description says. Unfortunately what it doesn't tell you is that you need to give them to an NPC later in the game who will reinforce the flask for you. Consuming it simply gives you an extra 5 humanity.

• Locked thread