Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2322 »
  • Locked thread
Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Have you beaten the boss of the sewers? If not go there in undead form and leave a white sign near the fog door or the bonfire in the sewers and wait to be summoned. He's really easy to reach from the bonfire if you've opened the shortcut and he's not too tough. Gives out 12k souls.

I have beaten him yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Has anyone killed the big red dragon? Since my character is at a decent level now (and more importantly, now has the 12 dex he needed to use a bow) I thought I'd give it a go. I managed to cut his tail off and get a special weapon. But I really can't be bothered plinking away at him with arrows that do 17 damage every hit.

I can lure him onto the bridge and maybe get one hit in at about 180 damage, but after that I'm toast. I might try running past him too, but is there anything in there worth getting? I can see a bonfire...

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!

OK, so, how do you jump?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I have beaten him yes.

Well then you can do the same thing for the boss near blighttown. Look for a bonfire inside a giant sewer drain in the poison swamp. Leave a whitesign there, as it's pretty much a straight shot from there to the boss, and the summoning player will probably fight an easy black phantom for more souls!

^^^^ Leyburn once that thing your talking about gets into position you can run under his legs. Make sure to keep running until you're near the bonfire, then hang a left into an alcove.

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at Oct 4, 2011 around 22:32

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Okay yeah, Future Press just said that they will be printing more guides to meet the demand, so we'll be seeing them in stock down the line for those places that are out.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007
MY AVATAR FUCKING SUCKS P.S. ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE FORTNITE

Zebrasectomy posted:

So what should someone who's never played a 'Souls game know about Stat distribution? Is it easy break a character? I hear starting class doesn't matter much, is that true?

Yes, Dark souls is even more forgiving about starting as one thing and going a different way than Demon Souls was, since starting levels are so close to eachother, you're not really locked out of any build. Heck the deprived even could make a good caster statwise you just wouldn't have spells/a way to cast them yet.

The only problem comes from that initial survivability. If you don't mind dying a lot any playstyle and build is viable for a starting character.

If you do care, well this probably isn't the game for you.

It's been said a few times, but your starting class isn't really a class, it's more just a starting distribution of statpoints and gear. Given enough exp you can eventually build anything into anything else. Especially since you'd probably want to get most stats to at least 10-15 or so you really aren't dicking yourself over if you make a thief but then decide you wanna be heavily armored.

Nigulus Rex
Jun 13, 2006

I'm finding it almost impossible to backstab with the battle axe. It's a lot harder for some reason, than with a dagger/sword.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

jaffyjaffy posted:

I have a question for the Demon Souls veterans:
How terrible of an idea is rolling a Thief, Warrior, or Bandit as your first character when you have no experience with this kind of game? I was considering rolling Thief from the get go, but then I was recommended Pyromancer. However, I came to find that the Fireballs just seem to have no range to them at all, and while they have decent damage, I still have to deal with the lower melee ability.

I am completely open to the idea that I am just a terrible idiot and doing something wrong (I haven't spent much on stat points since I have no clue what is most optimal), so feel free to criticize me.

From what I've read so far that may be the way to go, I'd do Warrior from what I've seen. Apparently there isn't very much in the way of heavy armor earlier in the game, and some of the sets of light armor you come across are better than the Knight's starting armor... That said, I"m probably going to start out as the Knight anyways, just to change up the pace from DeS where heavy-armor characters weren't very feasible.

Mighty Dicktron
Sep 1, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Zebrasectomy posted:

So what should someone who's never played a 'Souls game know about Stat distribution? Is it easy break a character? I hear starting class doesn't matter much, is that true?

Starting class matters only at the very beginning of the game, and on your first playthrough it's hard to "break" a character. In NG+ it starts to matter more, but on your first playthrough of the game, generalizing will not hurt your character at all. I would also actually recommend it over specializing, it gives you the chance to try out a lot of different playstyles and you'll be familiar with whatever you would like to do afterwards.
For what you'll need to know -

Vitality and Endurance are always important. If you're on the fence about what you should upgrade on any particular level, these are both worth it.

Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, and Faith are all the "specialized" stats. Focusing on them isn't necessary first time like I said, but you'll probably want to at some point. Weapons often require a certain value of these and scale extra damage off one, two, or in some rare cases, three. (Never all four, as far as I know.)

Attunement is common to all spellcasting classes and gives you extra spell slots. If you focus on Intelligence or Faith, this is pretty much as important as Endurance is to Strength and Dexterity.

Resistance is a bit of a weird one and increases your defense against various hazards like poison and bleeding, and I've heard that it also gives more physical defense per level. It's new to Dark Souls, so I can't say much about it.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

jaffyjaffy posted:

I have a question for the Demon Souls veterans:
How terrible of an idea is rolling a Thief, Warrior, or Bandit as your first character when you have no experience with this kind of game?...

I'm wondering the same thing. The thief sounds cool but sounds kind of tough to play. Also, I really want to start with the pendant/key.
Warrior sounds like a good choice if you're undecided though. His shield supposedly is the best to start with and he's already pretty quick and could probably be groomed into anything later on short of magic users.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Nigulus Rex posted:

I'm finding it almost impossible to backstab with the battle axe. It's a lot harder for some reason, than with a dagger/sword.

I've been using my Battle Axe exclusively (Battle Axe +10 infact!) and I've got the hang of it pretty good. You just gotta be right behind them and a step to the right, you can't have your shield up when you do it either.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

A poptart is a miserable little pile of secrets.

Just started playing this today, and god drat it. Apparently it rains firebombs in Lordran.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

KezzKezzan posted:

Vitality and Endurance are always important. If you're on the fence about what you should upgrade on any particular level, these are both worth it.

Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, and Faith are all the "specialized" stats. Focusing on them isn't necessary first time like I said, but you'll probably want to at some point. Weapons often require a certain value of these and scale extra damage off one, two, or in some rare cases, three. (Never all four, as far as I know.)

Good to know. I'm probably going to roll a thief and just focus on getting his vit/end up to about 15 before putting points anywhere else unless I find some gear I absolutely need to use.

What's the division of weapons requiring strength versus dex like? If I hold of on putting anything into strength for awhile am I going to be stuck shank'n guys with my knife?

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt

Can anyone give me a hint on where to go next (early game after first bell)?

I defeated the Bell Gargoyles and rang the bell. After that I could see no obvious path so I just sort of hosed around and killed that headless demon guarding the Darkroot Garden and the Dark Knight further down the Basin. I went ahead to the Catacombs since I know the next bell is underground somewhere and I got so far as beating the Pinwheel boss, only to be smashed in the Tomb of the Giants and lose the 6k souls I gained. I don't feel like this is where I should be going, and I'm getting tired of the the Catacombs and their enemies who give no souls. Is there some other path I missed?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Leyburn posted:

I've been using my Battle Axe exclusively (Battle Axe +10 infact!) and I've got the hang of it pretty good. You just gotta be right behind them and a step to the right,

Put your hand on the hilt / and raise the blade up hiiiii~iiigh
And then you swing it dooo~ooown / and drive it into their brai-ai-ai-aaain
Leeeet's dooo the baaaack-staaaab agaaaaaaain~

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

^^^^ Leyburn once that thing your talking about gets into position you can run under his legs. Make sure to keep running until you're near the bonfire, then hang a left into an alcove.

Errrm... He appears to have disappeared. I got past him, opened the gate, went out to the small garden at the side with the non-hostile dredglings (which I think is exactly where his tail would be hanging) and he is nowhere to be seen! I want my souls damnit.

swordfish duelist
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

I've played the tutorial and explored a bit in firelink.

This game is awesome. Started out as deprived with the pendant. So far I have an axe and a helmet. haven't died yet either.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Pomale posted:

Can anyone give me a hint on where to go next (early game after first bell)?

I defeated the Bell Gargoyles and rang the bell. After that I could see no obvious path so I just sort of hosed around and killed that headless demon guarding the Darkroot Garden and the Dark Knight further down the Basin. I went ahead to the Catacombs since I know the next bell is underground somewhere and I got so far as beating the Pinwheel boss, only to be smashed in the Tomb of the Giants and lose the 6k souls I gained. I don't feel like this is where I should be going, and I'm getting tired of the the Catacombs and their enemies who give no souls. Is there some other path I missed?

Near the sunlight warrior guy on the dragon bridge there is a door. You should have the underground key at this point.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Leyburn posted:

Errrm... He appears to have disappeared. I got past him, opened the gate, went out to the small garden at the side with the non-hostile dredglings (which I think is exactly where his tail would be hanging) and he is nowhere to be seen! I want my souls damnit.

welp I don't know what to tell you I guess he ran away? You could take a chance and see if he respawns by going out to the bridge.

Nov 19, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Near the sunlight warrior guy on the dragon bridge there is a door. You should have the underground key at this point.

Actually, I don't. I must have missed it...which I guess would explain my frustration. Where can I find it?

Zyklon B Zombie
Feb 13, 2005

Circling Overland

Soiled Meat

Constantly dying trying to riposte. Yep, this is just like Demon's Souls.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe

So where do I find a blacksmith who can upgrade past +5?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Just got my CE, checked out the artbook and have the soundtrack downloading.

But I have too much work to do tonight to justify playing.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

OK, so, how do you jump?

Start running, and then tap the Circle Button (probably B button on the 360 controller). I haven't really found a use for it though aside from getting into the well in Firelink Shrine.

Welp, this game is pretty drat amazing. Started as a wanderer like in Demon's Souls and just having way too much fun doing the jump attack with the starting sword you get. If I'm not dying from being on fire, I'm dying from ill-timed jump attacks Hitting a wall with that demon in the sewers but I'll get him eventually, maybe I should try the gargoyles again... decisions decisions! I just can't get over how open the world this, seriously freakin' awesome and I probably haven't even scratched the surface.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

My first true prepare-to-die-loving-demons-souls moment:

No bonfire immediately after the Taurus. You have to deal with getting past the dragon on the bridge to get to it. Bye bye my first big chunk of souls (about 8000).

gently caress.

Vallens
Jan 27, 2004

Get back in line you drunken fool!

Is everyone playing on 360? I got it for PS3 and it's a fricken ghost town.

Also, gently caress From Software for making the first real boss Man Eater

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

While going to get my souls from the sewer thanks to those loving frogs, also after finding a bonfire, someone tried invading me. Guy got aggressive, I killed him quite easily, took his humanity, his souls, and his shield. First ever invasion too.

swordfish duelist
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Vallens posted:

Is everyone playing on 360? I got it for PS3 and it's a fricken ghost town.

Also, gently caress From Software for making the first real boss Man Eater

I'm on PS3 and as for The second part:

What? Are you talking about the tutorial boss? He's like the vanguard.

Edit: didn't see the "real" first time I read it.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

exmorte posted:

So where do I find a blacksmith who can upgrade past +5?

You need to Ascend Weapon I think. The standard blacksmith should be able to handle it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Damo posted:

My first true prepare-to-die-loving-demons-souls moment:

No bonfire immediately after the Taurus. You have to DO SOMETHING to get to it. Bye bye my first big chunk of souls (about 8000).

gently caress.

Why would you do this? I haven't gotten that far, but if I had that many souls I am literally going to turn around and walk back to the last bonfire. I don't give a gently caress, I am keeping those PRECIOUS SOULSSSSSSSSSS.

Zeratanis posted:

While going to get my souls from PLACE X, someone tried invading me. Guy got aggressive, I killed him quite easily, took his humanity, his souls, and his shield. First ever invasion too.

Send him a PM: "Real Dark Souls starts here."

Vallens
Jan 27, 2004

Get back in line you drunken fool!

Smelly posted:

I'm on PS3 and as for The second part:

What? Are you talking about the tutorial boss? He's like the vanguard.

I meant at the Church .

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

I hate to steal your thunder but was his name Kirk? if it was that was NPC Phantom.

Nov 19, 2007

Where do I get the key to get into the sewer?

more like FAILdows get it fucked around with this message at Oct 4, 2011 around 23:17

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

So I'm confused about the (I think it was called?) "Lloyd's Pendant" item. It says it stops estus regen in a radius.. Is this only for invading? Or does it work when I'm just near another player and can see their outline?

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

coyo7e posted:

So I'm confused about the (I think it was called?) "Lloyd's Pendant" item. It says it stops estus regen in a radius.. Is this only for invading? Or does it work when I'm just near another player and can see their outline?

There are several (I am at the sewers) enemies that will step back and try to use an estus to heal themselves as well.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title

coyo7e posted:

I think it means you use it, and enemies near you can't heal. Like those red skeleton knights and spear dudes that do it all the time. I'd assume it works against invading players too though.

swordfish duelist
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Vallens posted:

I meant at the Church .
Yeah, I re-read it, edited my post a bit to show my reading comprehension.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

This loving game is going to break my will and make me go legit FW on my ps3... I will miss you, actually-functioning subtitles on my streamed content...

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Does anyone know anything about what the effects of the chaos servant covenant are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

I'm starting to lose faith in Amazon. They charged my card last night, but still haven't shipped my order yet. It's stuck on "Shipping Soon". Chatting with a rep, they refuse to cancel my order as it is "in the shipping process". The guy couldn't even tell me when it would ship, just kept saying that I should receive an email shortly with tracking details.

What the hell? If you're not going to give me the game when you said you would, then at least don't pre-emptively take my money and not allow me to just cancel the order.

Sorry, back to game-related talk. The guide is really beautiful and reading the mechanics section has got me relatively prepared to actually start playing it.

• Locked thread
«2322 »