Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I'm steadily climbing the ranks of sin and I will be too scared to ever be human again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SynVisions posted:

the treasure chest monster.

In D&D terms, we call that a 'Mimic.' Old-school D&D has an obscene amount of monsters and traps designed solely to help a sadistic DM gently caress with his players. Unlike Souls, few games actually uses them the way they were designed--as honest-to-goodness traps for the unwary looter.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

T.G. Xarbala posted:

In D&D terms, we call that a 'Mimic.' Old-school D&D has an obscene amount of monsters and traps designed solely to help a sadistic DM gently caress with his players. Unlike Souls, few games actually uses them the way they were designed--as honest-to-goodness traps for the unwary looter.

Not since ninja gaiden for the xbox have I been so terrified of chests.

EDIT: For those unfamiliar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIPcHBBVZwA

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Bleed in this game is totally awesome to have, especially against bigger foes. Bringing Anor Londo to its knees with a spiked baseball bat.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
So my pyromancy flame is only at +9, but Laurentius already went to the swamp and is dead. The trainer that supposedly appears is not there yet ...am I boned?

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Daveski posted:

So my pyromancy flame is only at +9, but Laurentius already went to the swamp and is dead. The trainer that supposedly appears is not there yet ...am I boned?

You can upgrade the flame with the egg guy just after Quelagg.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Daveski posted:

The egg dude by the Chaos Sisters bonfire can upgrade it for you.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Daveski posted:

You can also upgrade the Pyromancy Flame at Engyei/Eingyi/Whatever his name is. The one who shows up later is the only one who can ascend your flame.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

So, I killed that golden rear end in a top hat Lautrec in perhaps the funniest(to me) way, and was surprised that it worked.

I ran up to him, and without even letting him finish his first sentence, blasted him off the cliff with the Drake Sword's two-hand R2 attack. Easiest humanity I've ever gained :smug:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
So... the dude I accidentally killed earlier in the game. Whoops!

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

waspinator posted:

Will possibly finish my street fighter run tomorrow, looking for more ideas for gimmick runs.

I'm thinking a Ricard run, but after that my ideas are dry. (Done regular runs, castlevania run, and now finishing my street fighter as said before) gimme some ideas!

One-handed Dragon King Greataxe. You must equip the axe as soon as you get it.

Also, does the Dark Souls wiki website have a constant 'woodblock' noise endlessly repeating for everyone else? I have to turn off my sound whenever I want to look anything up because that stupid thing gives me a headache.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Colon Parenthesis posted:

Sir Arthur: a spear, a short-sword, soul arrows, firebombs, and a crossbow, knight/elite knight armor set, no armor while hollow. Play the Ghosts & Goblins music on loop for the whole run.

Every time you find a key you have to do the Shrug Gesture.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Primetime posted:

One-handed Dragon King Greataxe. You must equip the axe as soon as you get it.

Also, does the Dark Souls wiki website have a constant 'woodblock' noise endlessly repeating for everyone else? I have to turn off my sound whenever I want to look anything up because that stupid thing gives me a headache.

They have a chat widget that defaults to on and makes that noise. It is the worst.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Bleed in this game is totally awesome to have, especially against bigger foes. Bringing Anor Londo to its knees with a spiked baseball bat.
Finally, someone who understands!!

I wonder what will happen to my +15 nailbat after the patch?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Samurai Sanders posted:

Finally, someone who understands!!

I wonder what will happen to my +15 nailbat after the patch?

Wait, what weapon is this? I'd like a nailbat!

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
ahhahaha god damnit this game

I got cursed and I was lazy as gently caress so I just opened up this thread because I remembered a big think in the OP about how to get un-cursed. Well I got dropped off and because I'm a 5 year old baby who doesn't read things till the end I thought I needed to go into the level a bit to find where to trade. Fell into a pit with a boss and died aaaaaaaaaa

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
While on the subject of the wikis, which one is THE wiki? Because there are about 3. I've been going to the wikidot one.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Drox posted:

Wait, what weapon is this? I'd like a nailbat!

I think it's called the Reinforced Club, the merchant in Undead Burg sells it.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
What route do people take through New Londo Ruins when farming Darkwraiths? I can take one or even two with no issue, but by taking the shortcut just past the two first ghosts when coming from Firelink, if I don't kill the first Darkwraith on the way to the Abyss reaaaaaaal fast, I get gangbanged by four of them that got attracted to my commotion.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wow that iron golem boss was something else, kinda exhilarating having to constantly run between his legs.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brian Fellows posted:

What route do people take through New Londo Ruins when farming Darkwraiths? I can take one or even two with no issue, but by taking the shortcut just past the two first ghosts when coming from Firelink, if I don't kill the first Darkwraith on the way to the Abyss reaaaaaaal fast, I get gangbanged by four of them that got attracted to my commotion.

Wear the slumbering dragoncrest ring. You'll never have to fight more than one at a time.

Alteisen posted:

Wow that iron golem boss was something else, kinda exhilarating having to constantly run between his legs.

I made a joke way back in the thread when people were making comparisons to the Monster Hunter games that if they threw in Shadow of the Colossus I'd probably never stop playing, but after thinking about it I think it really would be awesome if they added a climbing mechanic to the game for the really huge bosses. It seems kind of silly that you take down so many gigantic monsters by stabbing them in the feet over and over again, and think about just how great it would actually be to be able to climb up and deliver one of those "stab in the head" critical animations you do with plunging attacks, instead of just being able to do it in specific areas where you can drop down.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 25, 2011

powder 2 da people
Nov 7, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I loved the first half of the game, where the challenges were legitimate challenges.

However, after days of O+S attempts, giving up on one character because of them, leveling another character that plowed through the game only to be cockblocked at the double archers outside of O+S, I calmly stood up, ejected the game from the 360, put the game in its mailer and mailed it straight back to Gamefly.

gently caress Dark Souls. Game's poo poo.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
I have a few NG+ related questions, since I'm finishing up my first playthrough (endgame spoiler) Only have Gwyndolin and Gwyn left to mess up!

-Do your unused boss souls disappear when you start again? Like, is it possible for me to bring in my Soul of Sif into the new game, and worry about upgrading it to whatever then, or do I need to burn through all of them now?

-Does your requirement for the Warriors of Sunlight covenant stay consistent, or does it reset back up to 50 Faith? I've helped about five people kill bosses so far, so I think my faith requirement is 25, but it would be nice to not have to hang around and get summoned several more times just to join.

-I'm SL70 right now, and I'm going to try to avoid leveling up for awhile. What are good bosses to get summoned for at this level in NG+? I'd assume maybe the Gargoyles or the Capra Demon.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

powder 2 da people posted:

I loved the first half of the game, where the challenges were legitimate challenges.

However, after days of O+S attempts, giving up on one character because of them, leveling another character that plowed through the game only to be cockblocked at the double archers outside of O+S, I calmly stood up, ejected the game from the 360, put the game in its mailer and mailed it straight back to Gamefly.

Is this copy pasted from gamefaqs or neogaf?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Maybe I'm just weird but I didn't find O+S nearly as bad as people seem to think they are :confused:. I almost beat them on my very first attempt solo - I took down O and put a healthy dent in S before he took me out with his AoE lightning attack (that I just wasn't expecting). I mean O is so much faster than S that it's pretty easy to keep them separated and focus on damaging one if you just keep using hit and run tactics.

potaties posted:

I have a few NG+ related questions, since I'm finishing up my first playthrough (endgame spoiler) Only have Gwyndolin and Gwyn left to mess up!

-Do your unused boss souls disappear when you start again? Like, is it possible for me to bring in my Soul of Sif into the new game, and worry about upgrading it to whatever then, or do I need to burn through all of them now?

-Does your requirement for the Warriors of Sunlight covenant stay consistent, or does it reset back up to 50 Faith? I've helped about five people kill bosses so far, so I think my faith requirement is 25, but it would be nice to not have to hang around and get summoned several more times just to join.

-I'm SL70 right now, and I'm going to try to avoid leveling up for awhile. What are good bosses to get summoned for at this level in NG+? I'd assume maybe the Gargoyles or the Capra Demon.

1) You keep all your boss souls. In fact you keep everything except for plot items (all key items save for the bottomless box, and the abyss/lava rings). Note that Blacksmiths will reset and you don't keep embers (what with them being key items), so any high level upgrades you're planning on getting you should do before you finish, unless you need materials you can no longer get/don't mind waiting.
2) No idea. I would think that it does but I haven't done any testing so I can't say this with any level of authority. I'm just guessing that it does since if you belong to a covenant, it carries over your rank and contribution, so I would think it also counts requirements for joining them as well.
3) NG+ you can get summoned/invaded pretty much anywhere, the level range is so vast for people by then it seems. For the record I was 83 on my first go through by the time I hit NG+, so you should be able to get summoned at Gargoyles at last. Maybe even for Taurus demon, assuming anyone actually bothers to summon for him.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 25, 2011

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Your defeat makes everyone else's victory that much sweeter.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
So for those who have played through both, am I alone in thinking that Demons Souls is ultimately a tighter and better experience? After completing DeS, I couldn't wait to go through NG+ and re-roll as different starting classes. Messages were common and helpful. Other players' ghosts were a frequent sight. PvP and summoning worked.

With Dark Souls, I'm just kind of glad to be done with it. It's a great game, one of 2011's best, but it's just so broken in so many regards. Maybe patching it will fix some of its issues (would it be possible to delete all of Lost Izalith in a patch?), but I'm not going to hold my breath. More is not necessarily better, and Dark Souls epitomizes this.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Someone needs to collect all the posts like this and make darksouls.txt

So I can print it all out and frame it on my wall :getin:

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Almost Smart posted:

So for those who have played through both, am I alone in thinking that Demons Souls is ultimately a tighter and better experience? After completing DeS, I couldn't wait to go through NG+ and re-roll as different starting classes. Messages were common and helpful. Other players' ghosts were a frequent sight. PvP and summoning worked.

With Dark Souls, I'm just kind of glad to be done with it. It's a great game, one of 2011's best, but it's just so broken in so many regards. Maybe patching it will fix some of its issues (would it be possible to delete all of Lost Izalith in a patch?), but I'm not going to hold my breath. More is not necessarily better, and Dark Souls epitomizes this.

I disagree. I think Dark Souls is a much better game overall. Better world, better lore, cooler enemies, more of everything, better multiplayer overall even though it's messed up right now. Yes it still has some horrible glaring flaws such as a terrible camera, embarrassing input delay that shouldn't have made it past internal testing, and Lost Izalith. Overall though, it's pretty amazing.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Almost Smart posted:

Nah man dark souls owns even more than Demons except for weapon balance and Lost Izalith Lava Town (the temple areas are okay). Oh well!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
O+S becomes a trivial fight with even one other person helping out.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Almost Smart posted:

I think that Dark Souls certainly improves in some areas (the seamless world setup is great, general combat/stat improvements), but that Demon's Souls was better in others (more incentive to actually be human outside of boss fights, better multiplayer support). Overall I can't say which I like BETTER - I think I kind of prefer the feel of Dark better, but there were certain elements of Demon's that I wish had stuck around. Maybe they'll take the best elements of both for whatever they end up titling the third installment.

*edit*

Cbouncerrun posted:

Huh, skeletons can be backstabbed.

A surprisingly large number of things can. It's one of the things that's a real improvement over Demon's Souls. If something is even vaguely humanoid and uses a weapon, odds are pretty good that you can backstab and riposte it. There are a few kind of puzzling exceptions (like the giant skeletons, which really aren't much bigger than trolls who CAN be parried/backstabbed), but for the most part it holds true.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 25, 2011

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Maybe they'll take the best elements of both for whatever they end up titling the third installment.

Detroit Souls.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Yodzilla posted:

O+S becomes a trivial fight with even one other person helping out.

Or using the crystal ring shield, or if you have a buffed pyromancy hand, or if you have homing soul mass/soul spear and high int, or if you have decent stamina and a shield with good stability, or if you have a big 2 handed weapon that stunlocks Ornstein, or if you actually know how time your rolls, or... Oh wait...

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
^^: A Short Guide On Killing O&S:
1. Summon Solaire
2. Kill Ornstein First
3. Kill Smough

Once I gave up on killing Smough first it was an easy victory. Solaire even survived. I'm level 26.

Cbouncerrun posted:

They have backs. :colbert:

Is the shotel any good? I'm looking for a way faster PvP weapon.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

After I made a crystal shield and used it with my +10 fire greatsword, it became pretty apparent to me that it is the most broken cheating thing in the game.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
Of course the only NPC I've accidently killed with was the Pyro teacher.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elysiume posted:

They have backs. :colbert:

Is the shotel any good? I'm looking for a way faster PvP weapon.

It can't be blocked, which gives it somewhat unique PvP utility. It seems that most PvP boils down to just nuking the other person in one hit with a spell/huge lightning/fire weapon backstab, but if you can prevent your opponent from doing that, you can probably wear them down with the shotel since they're unlikely to be able to defend against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It can't be blocked, which gives it somewhat unique PvP utility. It seems that most PvP boils down to just nuking the other person in one hit with a spell/huge lightning/fire weapon backstab, but if you can prevent your opponent from doing that, you can probably wear them down with the shotel since they're unlikely to be able to defend against it.
"Wearing down" isn't really in my (glass cannon) nature. Guess I'll stick with my lightning zweihander +4 until they address some issues.

• Locked thread