Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Here's hoping they added more unarmed punchy weapons. Has anyone bumped into some yet? They were such a pain in the rear end to get (like most things, to be fair) in Demon's Souls, but they solidified your manliness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009

Mayor McCheese posted:

Here's hoping they added more unarmed punchy weapons. Has anyone bumped into some yet? They were such a pain in the rear end to get (like most things, to be fair) in Demon's Souls, but they solidified your manliness.

Weren't they just sitting outside the entrance to the boss battle in 2-2, or were there more punchy weapons besides the Fists of God or whatever they were called?

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Mayor McCheese posted:

Browsing on the JP wikis, they have. Not a there's only about two or three, but they exist.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rakanakle posted:

Weren't they just sitting outside the entrance to the boss battle in 2-2, or were there more punchy weapons besides the Fists of God or whatever they were called?

There were two others -- Claws and Iron Knuckles, yet all three shared the same attacks/animations. And yup, Hands of God were in a nook right before Flamelurker; you had to kill/evade 3 or 4 of those lava-spewing sandworms to get them. Alternatively, killing either of the blacksmiths in the game yields the drop. I stupidly blew 8 or 9 soul levels to get my Faith high enough to use them and ended up hating them. :( Gotta have dat shield...

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 29, 2011

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Has anyone seen anything like the scraping spear yet in Dark Souls? I'm doing another run of Demon's and there is really nothing worse than running in to some no skill turd ruining you in a first run and having him destroy all of your poo poo. What a stupid weapon.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

NESguerilla posted:

Has anyone seen anything like the scraping spear yet in Dark Souls? I'm doing another run of Demon's and there is really nothing worse than running in to some no skill turd ruining you in a first run and having him destroy all of your poo poo. What a stupid weapon.

Seriously, I hope they took that poo poo out. That and acid cloud. I had one clown tell me that he was using strategy to beat me by destroying all my equipment and then one shotting me with that luck-based sword. Come on man, that's not strategy, that's grinding.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

If you didn't see it coming I can see how it would be a pain in the rear end but I've never had someone successfully use either Acid Cloud or the Scraping Spear on me. They're both pretty poo poo really.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Read posted:

If you didn't see it coming I can see how it would be a pain in the rear end but I've never had someone successfully use either Acid Cloud or the Scraping Spear on me. They're both pretty poo poo really.

The spear is hard to avoid due to how fast it attacks. It doesn't do any damage, but if it hits you enough, you can't do any damage back either. And they can just switch to another weapon. The cloud I've only seen used once by a guy who would utilize the lag to backstab me and then cast it while I was on the ground. Very irritating. He sent me a message after I grumbled to him about fighting with honor that said "u mad?" so I assume he was from here.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's so obnoxious to even be in body form in that game at this point. The PVP is so broken. One of 2 things always happens.

1. early game, you get invaded by crazy level 10 PVP dudes( that are clearly in NG+ at the very least) constantly. They immediately realize you can't kill them and decide to be a good Samaritan and kill everything in the whole level instead of killing you. Thanks bud, but I have beaten this game 5 times already. I appreciate you ruining the level for me.

2.Later game, Some butthole that bought the game last week runs in with a scraping spear and thinks he's the poo poo because he just made me waste 100000 souls fixing my gear. drat, that's impressive.

My character sucks at PVP. I'm just trying to give it one last go before the new one comes out.

Read posted:

On your first playthrough? No way they are cheap as hell.I really enjoyed PVP 2 years ago but now I feel like I am just dealing with annoying idiots.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 29, 2011

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Yeah, I love the pvp, but it seems to have devolved since last I played. I even tried to help someone out as a blue phantom last night, only to have them cooperating with a black phantom who soul sucked me to death.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Man, the hardest decision is between being an amazingly cool knight with a sword the size of a 5-2 giant troll, or compromising your integrity and using magic for the versatility and extra flavor. 'Cause you know that all of the coolest weapons are going to require 20+ strength.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Got a bunch of store credit at Gamestop for trading in my Wii and accessories. Guess I'll head over there tomorrow and pre-order this.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I guess I don't really know what it's like because nobody tried it on me till I was on my third or fourth playthrough.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

Yeah, I love the pvp, but it seems to have devolved since last I played. I even tried to help someone out as a blue phantom last night, only to have them cooperating with a black phantom who soul sucked me to death.

It's annoying as poo poo but I doubt the devs were expecting people to take it as far as they did. I hope they take it into consideration in Dark Souls.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Does anyone who has it already know if Dark Souls has a Scraping Spear equivalent?

Also I'm glad they got rid of world tendency. I actually played all of Demon Souls with my PS3 disconnected from the internet because I didn't want my world tendency manipulations to get hosed.

This time around I have no reason not to play with the online stuff (barring bugginess).

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

It's annoying as poo poo but I doubt the devs were expecting people to take it as far as they did. I hope they take it into consideration in Dark Souls.

As far as I can tell from the Wikis, there isn't a Soul Steal equivalent in Dark Souls. I don't believe there's a Scraping Spear either, but there seems to be an Acid Spell. It's not Acid Cloud, so take that as you will until someone on the thread gets the guide.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sweet. Good OP by the way.

qbert posted:

Does anyone who has it already know if Dark Souls has a Scraping Spear equivalent?

Haha. Seriously?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

Haha. Seriously?

I'm not asking because I want to use it, I'm asking because it's an annoying as hell weapon and I hope this is NOT the case. Unless you're laughing at me for another reason that's over my head.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

qbert posted:

I'm not asking because I want to use it, I'm asking because it's an annoying as hell weapon and I hope this is NOT the case. Unless you're laughing at me for another reason that's over my head.

The scraping spear, in addition to its Demon's Souls effect, now also deletes your save game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

qbert posted:

People been talking about the scraping spear for half the page already.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

qbert posted:

I asked the same thing like 5 posts posts up.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

I asked the same thing like 5 posts posts up.

Ah, this is what I get for trying to read the thread on the Awful app on my iPhone with a lovely connection.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
i'd rather it be better balanced than be removed.

I do know that cloud spells are still around as I saw someone use poison cloud, so if the complete spell list doesn't show acid cloud it might be a forgone conclusion.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm new to this Demon's Soul thing, on account that it was PS3 exclusive, but i'm glad I get a chance to try this out through it's newest iteration, Dark Souls.

I realized a couple of days ago that I never was good at Mario games, and that also my controller joystick veers forward or left with the slightest poke. I'm still feeling pretty confident though.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Sep 29, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fargin Icehole posted:

I realized a couple of days ago that I never was good at Mario games, and that also my controller veers forward or left with the slightest poke. I'm still feeling pretty confident though.
What the hell? Does it jump out of your hand or something?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Samurai Sanders posted:

What the hell? Does it jump out of your hand or something?

Oh hell, whoops, I meant the joystick. fixed.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Oh hell, whoops, I meant the joystick. fixed.

Time to buy a new one! That's my biggest gripe with this and the last generation of controllers. NES d-pads never wore down. :smith:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah I think you need your controller in good working order for this game. Maintaining the ideal range to the target is very important.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
People who watched the streams: How are the weapon and armour designs in this?

One of my favourite things about Demon's Souls was that almost all the arms and armour were low key and realistic. With a few obvious exceptions like Bramd, that were actually wielded like they ought to weigh.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I hope in an attempt to swell weapon variety they haven't added a load of stupid fantasy and anime style poo poo. I'll be pretty upset if there are any chainmail bikinis :(

Given that the overall tone seems to have that same gritty dark realism going on I'm pretty hopeful, just need someone to allay my fears. I heard something about whips earlier which I'm... a little ambivalent about. On the one hand thats pretty cool, and not completely stupid, on the other I hope thats as far as that sort of thing goes.

I don't mind the outright magical like being able to make your sword set people on fire, just lazy fantasy design.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Kuno posted:

People who watched the streams: How are the weapon and armour designs in this?

One of my favourite things about Demon's Souls was that almost all the arms and armour were low key and realistic. With a few obvious exceptions like Bramd, that were actually wielded like they ought to weigh.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I hope in an attempt to swell weapon variety they haven't added a load of stupid fantasy and anime style poo poo. I'll be pretty upset if there are any chainmail bikinis :(

Given that the overall tone seems to have that same gritty dark realism going on I'm pretty hopeful, just need someone to allay my fears. I heard something about whips earlier which I'm... a little ambivalent about. On the one hand thats pretty cool, and not completely stupid, on the other I hope thats as far as that sort of thing goes.

I don't mind the outright magical like being able to make your sword set people on fire, just lazy fantasy design.

The only lovely designs i've seen were the shields from the "Create a shield" costume. They are all terrible.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

How are the weapon and armour designs in this?

Much more medieval and much more functional. Fluted armor actually looks really good now. http://darksouls.wikidot.com/knight Though a lot of the streamers pick up this Grim Reaper cloth armor and stick with it instead of a full set of armor.

There is one difference going into Dark Souls is apparently strength increases how fast you swing a weapon and Dex increases your movement speed, so two handed weapons will be more viable now. Not to mention when you block with a two handed weapon it actually does mitigate more damage than blocking with a one handed weapon, which is a nice touch.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Darth Windu posted:

The spear is hard to avoid due to how fast it attacks. It doesn't do any damage, but if it hits you enough, you can't do any damage back either. And they can just switch to another weapon. The cloud I've only seen used once by a guy who would utilize the lag to backstab me and then cast it while I was on the ground. Very irritating. He sent me a message after I grumbled to him about fighting with honor that said "u mad?" so I assume he was from here.

You sent a player who legitimately killed you a message about "video game pvp honor"? What the hell kind of response did you expect? If anything he was upholding the spirit of the game (kill the player in the most brutal way possible).

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Okay, I'm getting pretty pissed off. Where the gently caress is the loving first bonfire in the area directly down the stairs and elevator from the starting bonfire where you need to use a consumable to be able to even damage anything. I've even unlocked a drat shortcut in this zone already without being able to find a bonfire. At this point I just wish this game had levels like Demon's Souls did because I'm getting pretty tired of going on my 8th hour of not really knowing if I'm going in the right direction.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

ErIog posted:

I'm getting pretty tired of going on my 8th hour of not really knowing if I'm going in the right direction.

That actually sounds really awesome.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

This thread's moving pretty quickly!

Dark Souls: Where The Scraping Spear At

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
I hope you all realise that every single conceivable complaint about this game can be legitimately explained away with the sentence "The Real Dark Souls Starts Here".

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Gazmachine posted:

I hope you all realise that every single conceivable complaint about this game can be legitimately explained away with the sentence "The Real Dark Souls Starts Here".

That really should have been the game's tagline.

Dark Souls: The Real Demon's Souls Starts Here

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

ErIog posted:

Okay, I'm getting pretty pissed off. Where the gently caress is the loving first bonfire in the area directly down the stairs and elevator from the starting bonfire where you need to use a consumable to be able to even damage anything. I've even unlocked a drat shortcut in this zone already without being able to find a bonfire. At this point I just wish this game had levels like Demon's Souls did because I'm getting pretty tired of going on my 8th hour of not really knowing if I'm going in the right direction.

Yo you're talking about the area right after the tutorial area, that grassy place right? And the stupid skeletons that dont even drop souls in the graveyard? You're going the wrong way. Theres another staircase to the right somewhere that leads to enemies you can actually kill. I died there like a million times before I figured it must just be the wrong way. It feels like you can get through with good fighting and you kind of can but it gets even harder so you should probably go the easy way.

Also after the 2nd bonfire I seem to have hit my first real path choice. Too bad I can't beat club guy, big demon bridge dude, or black knight guy. which one did all you other guys with the J version fight? Or am I missing an easy path again?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Spiking posted:

Yo you're talking about the area right after the tutorial area, that grassy place right? And the stupid skeletons that dont even drop souls in the graveyard? You're going the wrong way. Theres another staircase to the right somewhere that leads to enemies you can actually kill. I died there like a million times before I figured it must just be the wrong way. It feels like you can get through with good fighting and you kind of can but it gets even harder so you should probably go the easy way.

Also after the 2nd bonfire I seem to have hit my first real path choice. Too bad I can't beat club guy, big demon bridge dude, or black knight guy. which one did all you other guys with the J version fight? Or am I missing an easy path again?

Hey, yeah, no you're completely wrong. I thought my previous posts in this and the last thread would have made it clear, but I've already rang the first bell. So literally the only new areas I have to go to are the ones you're saying are the wrong way, that can't be the wrong way because there's nowhere else to go.

At the path you're at you're already on the easy path. Go for the big demon bridge dude who is slow and easy.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
All this Scraping Spear talk has made me realise.

I've gone through 2 NG+ and a NG++, the 2 NG+ I beat entirely in human form online.

Of all the times I've been invaded, I have NEVER encountered anyone using clouds or the Scraping Spear.

Guess I'm just lucky v:shobon:v

• Locked thread