Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

bobby2times posted:

Been waiting for like 40 min for someone to summon to help with Anor Londo boss. Is 360 a ghostland?

You're WAAAAAAAY ahead of the curve buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Well, that was weird. I was walking in firelink shrine where the small pool of water is, and then something started snoring and the subtitles popped up transcribing the sounds of the snoring :stare:

Pretty sure it's the giant raven right above the area there.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Is grinding frowned upon? I passed on the Drake Sword because it seemed like it made the game too easy, but I want to get my armor up to +1 before I go any further. :[

I don't think grinding has ever been frowned upon. I'm pretty sure one of the reasons bonfires were balanced to make stuff reappear instantly was to make grinding easier.

EDIT: I think this was a few pages back and I had a brain fart. Sorry.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Anyone know where I can find some green (IIRC) titanite? I want to make my claymore divine.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."
Is Soilaire of Astora good for anything else after you get the white soap stone from him? I've already killed the gargoyles. I want to kill him for his sword but I also don't want to gently caress myself out of anything later on.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
A few pages ago people where talking about problems with the Astora Straight Sword, and I've been having the same issue. According to the stats the combined physical and magical damage should be around 10 points more than my Longsword+8, but in reality I'm doing pretty much exactly half the damage against all enemy types I tried it against, zombies, knights, skeletons, soldiers. Seems bugged to me. I hope it's not an issue with having the 1.03 patch applied mid-game or some such poo poo.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

LemonRind posted:

Pretty sure it's the giant raven right above the area there.

I heard this too, and it really did not sound like the raven. It sounded very human.

Unless the raven speaks at some point I'm not aware of.

2MB posted:

Is Soilaire of Astora good for anything else after you get the white soap stone from him? I've already killed the gargoyles. I want to kill him for his sword but I also don't want to gently caress myself out of anything later on.

I think I read/heard he helps with one other fight later on as well.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Should I be giving the embers to the undead parish blacksmith? Is it even worth upgrading anything right now (I'm doing blighttown with the drake sword atm)

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Should I be putting any points into Resistance? So far I've only touched Vit, Str, End and Dex.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Phoix posted:

I've already been down there. With the sorcery light spell it wasn't as bad as this place. I eventually finished the painting but jesus christ that was awful.

This post makes zero sense to me. You must be a faith build with a holy weapon because that is the only reasonable explanation.

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice
Boss question: I'm fighting that spider witch boss in Blighttown, who is an enormous bitch. I reverted to human form and beat that red spirit, who I summoned for the boss fight and we still were both killed. If I revert back to human again can I summon the spirit again or is it gone for good?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Well, I went human to kindle a bonfire in the sewers, and I just got invaded for the first time. I lost horribly, but hey. You definitely get a warning when somebody has invaded, along with their name. Said name sounded Japanese in my case.

I put up a good fight at first, taking off a lot of his health, but then he did something or other that put up a thick fog of red mist while retreating. By the time I found him through the fog, he appeared to be healed up again. This time he just wrecked me.

He was wielding some weapon that looked like a bunch of spiny-balls stacked on top of one another. It was slightly curved, like a cutlass. I have no idea what it is , but it did like 500 damage to me in one hit, and seemed pretty fast.

Edit: Where is that Covetous Gold Serpent Ring? It was supposed to be in by the curse frogs somewhere. I think the things I've been fighting are probably curse frogs (they have big eyes and breathe out gass, but I've only found one other ring there.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 7, 2011

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

So what sword do you get for sparing Sif? I know he has two that you can make from a +10 weapon with his soul, but if I could spare the big guy I'd rather do that, especially since I plan on breaking the forest covenant for the ring of backflipping anyways.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

thoraxfetish.com posted:

Boss question: I'm fighting that spider witch boss in Blighttown, who is an enormous bitch. I reverted to human form and beat that red spirit, who I summoned for the boss fight and we still were both killed. If I revert back to human again can I summon the spirit again or is it gone for good?

You can summon it again. Also, it knows what the gently caress its doing and will survive for a long time, but it's primary purpose is to distract her while YOU do the attacking, from behind. Keep that in mind.

On a somewhat related note, I just killed her myself, and now I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do. The demon ruins seems like a dead end. I found and joined up with the nice spider lady, which I wish I hadn't because I just got a pyromancy spell which I can't use, but whatever, and then I returned to firelink via valley of the drakes.

Yurt the Second already killed my maiden, I thought there was a chance to kill him again between releasing him and her death? I found the creepy loving serpent thing, and he told me to go to Sen's Fortress, but I'm massively underpowered for that. The enemies right inside the entrance rape my butthole pretty hard. So what's the next course of action? I'm still rolling with the drake sword, although I did at least try to make something better. I took a detour and killed the moonlight butterfly, and gave the thing to the blacksmith to make divine weapons. I ascended my winged spear to divine but it's still too much weaker than the drake sword to consider using, which is a shame since the drake sword feels pretty underpowered now.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Anyone doing a strength build? I can't decide on what big fuckoff giant weapon I want to invest upgrades into. Sitting on 40 strength, not sure if I want to go higher, there are a few weapons that require more. Even looking at the stats in the guide I can't tell which one I want to go for.

Also does anyone know where the crestfallen merchant is?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Well, that was weird. I was walking in firelink shrine where the small pool of water is, and then something started snoring and the subtitles popped up transcribing the sounds of the snoring :stare:
I think it must have something to do with that suspicious looking statue. I spent like 10 minutes just searching every nook and cranny of that place, so idk :iiam:

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Where the hell is the Blighttown boss? I went through that stupid poison swamp and somehow came out on the other side under New Londo.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, uh...

So without thinking about it I swung my club at the undead knight guy who is collapsed in the Asylum tutorial level. He gurgled, said "...why?" and faded out. Now I feel like a dick.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Any tips for killing black knights?

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

I NEED SCISSORS posted:

Firewatcher Souls

DO NOT CONSUME THESE!! These can be used to upgrade the Estus flask so it restores more health on use.

DOH!

Loving my cleric I seem to have hit a brick wall though :negative:

Its great to actually play a challenging game for once

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Speedball posted:

Oh, uh...

So without thinking about it I swung my club at the undead knight guy who is collapsed in the Asylum tutorial level. He gurgled, said "...why?" and faded out. Now I feel like a dick.

Don't worry, he'll be back.

Tokubetsu posted:

Get them into an open space, hold your shield up and just circle them around weapons range for awhile. Learn their attack patterns. There's one particular attack they like to do when you're far away and your shield is down; they'll charge at you with their spear out, and then swish their sword around harmlessly. Get them to do that attack, block it, swing at them while they pose. Repeat.

I'm assuming these people eating the firekeeper souls haven't played the original? Everyone knows you don't cash in special souls until you know what they do.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Tokubetsu posted:

Juke them out. Move in close until you see their animation starting then walk backwards as far as you need to so they'll miss. You don't need to roll because their swinging animations are all so, so slow. Black Knights aren't too difficult if you're properly leveled, but if you're blocking their attacks and it's taking off 75% of your endurance, forget about them for the time being.

I guess the same could be said of any enemy in the game though. Black Knights just hit harder.

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice

Funkmaster General posted:

You can summon it again. Also, it knows what the gently caress its doing and will survive for a long time, but it's primary purpose is to distract her while YOU do the attacking, from behind. Keep that in mind.

On a somewhat related note, I just killed her myself, and now I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do. The demon ruins seems like a dead end. I found and joined up with the nice spider lady, which I wish I hadn't because I just got a pyromancy spell which I can't use, but whatever, and then I returned to firelink via valley of the drakes.

Yurt the Second already killed my maiden, I thought there was a chance to kill him again between releasing him and her death? I found the creepy loving serpent thing, and he told me to go to Sen's Fortress, but I'm massively underpowered for that. The enemies right inside the entrance rape my butthole pretty hard. So what's the next course of action? I'm still rolling with the drake sword, although I did at least try to make something better. I took a detour and killed the moonlight butterfly, and gave the thing to the blacksmith to make divine weapons. I ascended my winged spear to divine but it's still too much weaker than the drake sword to consider using, which is a shame since the drake sword feels pretty underpowered now.

Yeah I know, I went in with the wrong equipment and tried to change and before I knew it I was screwed. I still have to turn back to human though to summon her again, right?

EDIT: Yes, yes I do. Thanks!

Bobby Cox fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 7, 2011

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

How would one go about making a weapon that is specialized in Dex? I have a +7 Scimitar and it destroys most enemies but I want to turn that B dex bonus into an A or S.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Vanguard Warden posted:

Anyone know where I can find some green (IIRC) titanite? I want to make my claymore divine.

Slimes in the Depths.

Where's the ember for Divine weapons?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Thread title is so appropriate. Its hard to believe this is so much better than Demon's Souls. Goddamn.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Would there be a problem in buying a used copy of Dark Souls? Is there like a multiplayer code in the box that games today are starting to use to prevent this?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I guess I have to ask at that point what the difference is between being dead and being alive other than looking significantly less ugly when you're dead.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I've come across a "hidden" Covenant after Quelaag. "Hidden" meaning both it's behind a hidden wall, and it's also not yet documented on Dark Souls' wiki page. Anyone joined it? Seeing as how it's my first time through the game, I've decided to say gently caress It and join.

edit: nevermind, it's Chaos Servant Covenant. Got a pyromancy skill that I don't want/can't use. Awesome! That's two screw-ups so far :-P

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Do shopkeepers ever restock? Looking for titanite to upgrade some weapons.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

EVIR Gibson posted:

Would there be a problem in buying a used copy of Dark Souls? Is there like a multiplayer code in the box that games today are starting to use to prevent this?

No, no code.

That said, From Software deserves your money for this. :v:

Edit: Human form increases your Item find a bit, and basically everything that it offered in Demon's.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

This is actually relevant to something that happens after you ring both the bells, come back and take a look for something new.

Edit:

Enoyj posted:

I've come across a "hidden" Covenant after Quelaag. "Hidden" meaning both it's behind a hidden wall, and it's also not yet documented on Dark Souls' wiki page. Anyone joined it? Seeing as how it's my first time through the game, I've decided to say gently caress It and join.

I'm pretty sure that's the chaos witch coven which actually is covered in the wiki.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 7, 2011

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Smelly posted:

No, no code.

That said, From Software deserves your money for this. :v:

Edit: Human form increases your Item find a bit, and basically everything that it offerend in Demon's.

I just went with a new copy shipped with Amazon Prime since all the used sellers had outrageous shipping on the game.

Hope you guys don't kill me over and over again when I play!

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

If anyone could tell me where to get red titanite or how to make fire weapons that would be greatly appreciated. I just want my fire claymore from demons souls again. :(

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

So (forest) is there any decent way to melee down Moonlight Butterfly or does it just take a while as you have to let her land first? I've killed her once as a white phantom, it just took quite a while and I was wondering if there's a better way.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

mistaya posted:

So (forest) is there any decent way to melee down Moonlight Butterfly or does it just take a while as you have to let her land first? I've killed her once as a white phantom, it just took quite a while and I was wondering if there's a better way.

Just put your best magic resist armor or no armor on and strafe around when it's in the air. When it lands, destroy it. For me that was by far the easiest boss so far.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

mistaya posted:

The best way I've found is with melee. Just go to two hand and go nuts. Easy boss, really.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Talran posted:

Graveyard, he does the same thing he always does.Tries to kill you :d

Where? I've gotten all the way to the end of the Catacombs, beat Pinwheel, and ventured a bit into the Tomb of Giants, where I thought that the flares heralded his immediate presence, like they did in Demon's. Also, there was the sound of a blacksmith in a little alcove before the boss, but I couldn't figure out how to get in there. What was up with that?

Wizard of Wang
Aug 8, 2004
I rented Demon Souls through the mail and wanted to give it another shot. I had owned it previously before the US version came out and basically rage sold it after failing to get anywhere past 1-2. Same thing this time around, I kept getting to the end of the bridge at 1-2 and getting killed about 19 times before I just sealed it back up and shipped it off. But now, I kind of wish I kept it.

I'm guessing Dark Souls isn't the game for me eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

So, the Parish blacksmith keeps talking about some DIVINE SMITH in the forest but I've been every which way in that place and haven't found anything that doesn't want to kill me. Where am I supposed to go to find him, exactly?

• Locked thread