Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2322 »
  • Locked thread
Phoix
Jul 20, 2006
a jerk

Dan Didio posted:

Performance in areas like Blighttown primarily, and the constant connection failures with the summoning/invading.

I'm not holding out any hope for the multiplayer to get fixed and the framerate issues are probably not fixable at this point. It's a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Well i am SL 62, and i simply cannot beat sens fortress. Is there any other way than going through the giant maze of tiny balance beams and guillotines? I have been at this for about 4-5 hours now and i am really really getting frusturated. The worst part is, after i go through everything dodging boulders, the top room i always screw up the timing slightly. Or get hit by lighting.

CardTech
Nov 11, 2009

Baseball bro'ing at a super-high level

After what seemed like at least 50 tries I finally brought down Ornstein and Smough solo. The rush you get when you have no more flasks left and the boss is only a few hits from dropping is amazing.

I do not want to do that fight again anytime soon though.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

So are you suppose to lose the first fight with (later game) seethe the scaleless? I walked into his chamber and about 20 seconds into the fight he just does this room wide AoE spell and kills me instantly, now I've been dumped off in a new area altogether breaking out of prison.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk! Clunk!

Carl Seitan posted:

I saw that door to that guy when I passed through there but it was said it was locked. Is there a key or something you need to do to open it?

buy the residence key from the vendor in the undead burgs if you don't have a residence key. You are going to miss out on a bunch of poo poo if you don't have it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dan Didio posted:

Performance in areas like Blighttown primarily, and the constant connection failures with the summoning/invading.

I'm really hoping that the framerate problems are something even can be patched out. My biggest critique of the game is the slowdown, not only in blighttown but in several other areas.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006
a jerk

DeathSandwich posted:

So are you suppose to lose the first fight with (later game) seethe the scaleless? I walked into his chamber and about 20 seconds into the fight he just does this room wide AoE spell and kills me instantly, now I've been dumped off in a new area altogether breaking out of prison.

Yes. You'll fight him again at the end of that section.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..

Lipstick Apathy

UberJumper posted:

Well i am SL 62, and i simply cannot beat sens fortress. Is there any other way than going through the giant maze of tiny balance beams and guillotines? I have been at this for about 4-5 hours now and i am really really getting frusturated. The worst part is, after i go through everything dodging boulders, the top room i always screw up the timing slightly. Or get hit by lighting.

It gets worse!

When you reach the fog door, a little ways after it is a bonfire you can jump down on. That section is a pain and the game doesn't throw any curve balls at you at the next two sections either. Also killing the giant that puts the boulders into the machine wont matter as he'll always respawn. The other giant you should kill though after you reached the bonfire.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk! Clunk!

Volitaire posted:

I'm really hoping that the framerate problems are something even can be patched out. My biggest critique of the game is the slowdown, not only in blighttown but in several other areas.

Luckily it's only a a few areas but when it's bad it is BAD. Blight town is by far the worst I have seen yet

Dan Didio
Apr 6, 2009

OMG!! WeareSOawesome!!

Phoix posted:

I'm not holding out any hope for the multiplayer to get fixed and the framerate issues are probably not fixable at this point. It's a shame.

If the performance issues aren't patchable, then it's a wash with regards to that, people will suffer through it, I think.

But if the connection issues aren't patched then this game'll be a graveyard on the 360 before long.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

You Satan, we only hail in the form of Baphomet

Sen's Fortress seems really hard at first than you realize the snake men leave themselves open all the time and it's easy mode.

Also Lightning Spear.

Also, cheesing the two giants with arrows so they are little bitches -- easy mode..

This boss though... gently caress.

Boulder guy respawns? gently caress. Not that it matters but man, so annoying. Also the fat fucker is gone now... what the hell?? Where did he go?

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

Yeah, it's a rigged fight. Don't try going back in there, either; he'll still be there and you'll end up right back in prison, though you won't have to do the whole ordeal over again. You have to find your way outside so you can make it to the Crystal cavern area. I'm at that part too and I'm taking a break, since it gets pretty tough at times.

Vintersorg posted:

Sen's Fortress seems really hard at first than you realize the snake men leave themselves open all the time and it's easy mode.

Also Lightning Spear.

Also, cheesing the two giants with arrows so they are little bitches -- easy mode..

This boss though... gently caress.

Did you take care of the firebombing guy at the top of the tower? If you did, just lure the golem into the big center platform and constantly run behind him. Keep your shield up and run the hell away when he tries to grab you and he's not too difficult. The Lightning Spear that you get at the bottom of the fortress (follow the opposite direction of that one path that you had to take to get to the boulder-dropping machine. You can also find the Covetous Golden Serpent Ring in the hole that the boulder made) also helps quite a bit.

Jetpack Postman fucked around with this message at Oct 9, 2011 around 06:30

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
GOONS ARE MEAN

Unlucky7 posted:

Is the Gargolye Axe not compatible with Divine Ember (It is the one you get in the Depths next to the butcher, right? I kinda forgot what it was exactly before I handed it over.). I have it to +5 but I only see options for +6 or turning it Raw.

That's the Large Ember, not the Divine Ember.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

I'm trying to ask as few questions here as possible, since my copy hasn't arrived yet and I just beat Demon's Souls but are the load times better in this one? To me that was the worst part about dying, I always hated being greeted by a 20 second load screen. I can deal with it though, far from a deal breaker.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I'm trying to ask as few questions here as possible, since my copy hasn't arrived yet and I just beat Demon's Souls but are the load times better in this one? To me that was the worst part about dying, I always hated being greeted by a 20 second load screen. I can deal with it though, far from a deal breaker.

What load times? It's an open world

And coming back after dying doesn't take particularly long.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Yup, load times are pretty slick.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I dont remember being annoyed with Demons Souls load times but ive died a lot in dark souls and it hasnt been an issue

Zetsubou
Feb 22, 2011

Right now I seem to be at a loss of where to go. At the moment I am at the part where you have to collect the demon lord souls or whatever you call them, and I have defeated seath the scaleless, nito the first of the dead, and the four kings in New Londo. I am guessing the next or last guy I have to face is Gwynn, the lord of sunlight, however I have no idea where to go to find him. Anyone know where I am suppose to go?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..

Lipstick Apathy

Mayor McCheese posted:

I died to a NPC invader and now I can't get him to invade again. Do they just stop showing up if you die to them once?

Oh dammit I think I know what happened. I killed the boss and went back to check the invasion spot then I remembered that killing the boss may remove the NPC from that playthrough.

Of course this happens to me the first time I killed a boss without dying.

I was so close to getting that stupid hat.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

So, does anyone know what weapon DOES work reliably on the boss of the new londo ruins? So far I have tried a halberd, a spear, a falchion, and a short sword, none of them hit more than a quarter of a time? Is this intentional? It has been driving me nuts all day.

edit: almost no one on the Japanese wiki talks about this problem. I also saw a video of someone fighting it, and every attack was hitting, even with a spear. What the gently caress is going on?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at Oct 9, 2011 around 06:42

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup

I read that the shield you get from using the Butterfly's soul is actually a crystal shield that isn't repairable. Is that right? Seems like a waste of a soul.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Phoix posted:

From has a history of not messing with their games after release, which was fine with a game like Demon's Souls which was pretty much perfect, but is not so fine with this game. The only thing I really care about is the multiplayer, I have no idea what people are talking about with the slowdown in the Blight. But I seriously doubt anything will get fixed. They need to go back to the Demon's Souls method of matchmaking.

Dial-a-Dog
May 21, 2001

I just got Havel's ring and I'm pretty sure the real Dark Souls starts here. I'm playing a melee character (my only concession to magic so far is being able to cast magic weapon), and now I can equip my tower shield and elite knight armor while still rolling smoothly. Holy poo poo, it's like playing as a black knight. Enemies stagger back from my unbreakable block, and even if they hit me my poise carries my enchanted cleaver strikes through. It's honestly like playing a whole different game. I guess I didn't even need the item really, but I like the option of maneuverability. Time to go fight toe to toe with stone golems so I can use their armor

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Zetsubou posted:

Right now I seem to be at a loss of where to go. At the moment I am at the part where you have to collect the demon lord souls or whatever you call them, and I have defeated seath the scaleless, nito the first of the dead, and the four kings in New Londo. I am guessing the next or last guy I have to face is Gwynn, the lord of sunlight, however I have no idea where to go to find him. Anyone know where I am suppose to go?

Did you try the demon ruins? I think that is one of them.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

He's actually pretty easy if you can block his attacks. If not I'd say return later because you are gonna get one shot like crazy.

I can block his attacks but I'm left with about 1/16th of my stamina afterwards. I had him literally 1 hit away from death just before. I knew I could safely get 3 hits in after his big attack but I went for 4 because it would have finished him off, instead he smashed me into the floor mid-swing.

I love this game.

edit - got him

im a girl btw fucked around with this message at Oct 9, 2011 around 06:51

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

You Satan, we only hail in the form of Baphomet

Upgrading the Uchitanga sword is pretty drat awesome, on the third strike it will crit... ALWAYS. I made the loving snake men cry with those hits.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Vintersorg posted:

Upgrading the Uchitanga sword is pretty drat awesome, on the third strike it will crit... ALWAYS. I made the loving snake men cry with those hits.

Holy poo poo, really? I got it and just shrugged it off. I need to start focusing on this fucker

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Samurai Sanders posted:

So, does anyone know what weapon DOES work reliably on the boss of the new londo ruins? So far I have tried a halberd, a spear, a falchion, and a short sword, none of them hit more than a quarter of a time? Is this intentional? It has been driving me nuts all day.

I was using Quelaag's sword when I fought them which is a falchion type, but has a little bit more reach then usual. I just got right up next to them and swung 2handed and I hit them quite reliably.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I tell you the truth: one of you chumps will betray me

Man meleeing Ornstein & Smough is such a crock of poo poo. Finally got Ornstein down to 1/2 HP with poison arrows and then got trapped and died.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Volitaire posted:

I was using Quelaag's sword when I fought them which is a falchion type, but has a little bit more reach then usual. I just got right up next to them and swung 2handed and I hit them quite reliably.
This isn't a reach issue. I can be literally touching it, swing until my stamina is empty, and still miss every time. Every once in a while an attack will hit, but I don't know why. I have done the boss more than ten times now, I don't hold out any hope of winning in the short term anymore, it's just about experimentation, to understand this bug.

However, I think I'm going to start a new character for now, a paladin type. That way I'll be more in line where with most people are playing the game anyway.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at Oct 9, 2011 around 06:46

Dan Didio
Apr 6, 2009

OMG!! WeareSOawesome!!

Where's the elevator below Quelaag take me?

Zetsubou
Feb 22, 2011

Darth Windu posted:

Did you try the demon ruins? I think that is one of them.

Yep. I got all the way down to the centipede demon and defeated him but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to go after that, unless I am missing something really obvious. I have heard there is a way to get to the ruins of izalith from the demon ruins, since I have yet to go there, but I cant find a route that leads to it.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

im a girl btw posted:

I can block his attacks but I'm left with about 1/16th of my stamina afterwards. I had him literally 1 hit away from death just before. I knew I could safely get 3 hits in after his big attack but I went for 4 because it would have finished him off, instead he smashed me into the floor mid-swing.

I love this game.

Or don't block his attacks. If you want to know how I killed him pretty easily:

The easiest way to beat him is to literally walk INTO his face, and then circle strafe around him to his right. Wait for him to swing, make sure it doesn't hit you, then backstab him. Repeat until dead.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Samurai Sanders posted:

This isn't a reach issue. I can be literally touching it, swing until my stamina is empty, and still miss every time. Every once in a while an attack will hit, but I don't know why. I have done the boss more than ten times now, I don't hold out any hope of winning in the short term anymore, it's just about experimentation, to understand this bug.

However, I think I'm going to start a new character for now, a paladin type. That way I'll be more in line where with most people are playing the game anyway.

That's very strange. Never heard of that issue.

Dan Didio posted:

Where's the elevator below Quelaag take me?

Some place where Taurus and Capra demons are regular enemies. It sucks.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Grimey Drawer

Do ever need to buy more than a single orange soapstone? I never bothered buying one, figuring I could spend the souls better leveling up and on my equipment, but reading a few posts, it sounds like it's just one reusable item rather than an expendable. I'm a ways off from the undead merchant and trying to decide if I should go backtrack to get it.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Why do I keep getting connected to the laggiest black phantoms that have ever existed? I'm getting a bit tired of being backstabbed. From the front. From 20 feet away.

Still laughing at that one I kicked off a cliff though.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

ArchRanger posted:

Do ever need to buy more than a single orange soapstone? I never bothered buying one, figuring I could spend the souls better leveling up and on my equipment, but reading a few posts, it sounds like it's just one reusable item rather than an expendable. I'm a ways off from the undead merchant and trying to decide if I should go backtrack to get it.

It's not a consumable. You only need one.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon

Nap Ghost

I love "YOU DEFEATED".

I do not love the Great Hollow. gently caress off back to Fantasia, mushroom men.

Zetsubou
Feb 22, 2011

nevermind my last question, figured out there is a somewhat obvious cave in the centipede demon room that I was suppose to go through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan Didio
Apr 6, 2009

OMG!! WeareSOawesome!!

Ceaselss Discharge, he fall down a hole.

a shameful nigga

• Locked thread
«2322 »