Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2322 »
  • Locked thread
Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(

McTimmy posted:

I was able to do it at around that level I think. I was using the Drake Swords 2H Heavy Attack--the wind slash thing. To fight it at a distance. Getting in close was dangerous because of the rubbles but possible to do. If you wanna use the Heavy Attack, farm some souls first since it will be low on durability before the Demon dies, but you can repair it an the Blacksmith.

Shields are under Reinforce Weapons. If you aren't seeing them, maybe you don't have an upgradable shield? You should have at least one.

OK, I may try that then. hahaha and then die!

I have the Heater Shield, Hollow Whatsit one and the blue and red thing (Knight?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Finally plopped down an Eye of Death as a gravelord! But I'm not telling where. Can you place multiple Eyes of Death down at once or does placing a second override the first?

e: And has anyone worked out specifically what it does? The Wiki says buffed versions of already existing monsters roam other worlds, but do they show up wherever, or what?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at Oct 12, 2011 around 05:00

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.

Unlockable Ben

Heater Shield is a good early-game shield. There's a really awesome shield coming up toward the beginning of the Depths, down the shaft behind the butcher if you want to save on titanite.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Kiwillian posted:

I have the Heater Shield, Hollow Whatsit one and the blue and red thing (Knight?).

Those all should be upgradable. Weird.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Rollersnake posted:

Haha, how did you not see or hear the giant loving hydra? Maybe the most deceptively easy boss of the whole game. Of course I say that after dying like five times to it.
It starts shooting at you way, way before you can see it through the fog. Unless you run into the lights, you'll never see the source, and will just die as the screen goes white.

Which was totally freaking boss

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Out of curiousity, has anyone found the Black bow of Pharis? There is an entry for it in the loading screens but I haven't seen it in any of the wikis.

Edit:

Rollersnake posted:

Heater Shield is a good early-game shield. There's a really awesome shield coming up toward the beginning of the Depths, down the shaft behind the butcher if you want to save on titanite.

I find that the spider shield is particularly nice to have in blighttown (0 poison/toxin buildup on block, makes those toxic dart shooters a breeze), but aside from that, I've been using a hollow warrior shield from any of the hollow warriors for pretty much the entire game on both of my characters (neither of them were lucky and got a black knight's shield early ) at level +10 it's got 78 stability which is goddamned fantastic and you really see the difference.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Oct 12, 2011 around 04:48

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

Is it better than the Hollow Soldier Shield +2? I was actually going to upgrade it more but I thought the shield youre talking about is mostly good against poison

Raibead
May 8, 2008

Are you able to do Quelaag with MIldred more than once? I ate one of those giant explosions and died right at the end. I thought I heard only once, but its worth a humanity to get her again if possible.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006
a jerk

DeathSandwich posted:

Out of curiousity, has anyone found the Black bow of Pharis? There is an entry for it in the loading screens but I haven't seen it in any of the wikis.

It drops off one of the invisible guardians in the forest.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I tell you the truth: one of you chumps will betray me

So do the drakes in Valley of the Drakes really drop dragon scales? I think I read that somewhere.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?

Guliani is HOT posted:

So do the drakes in Valley of the Drakes really drop dragon scales? I think I read that somewhere.

They do, but it's quite rare. Even with maxed out 410 item find, it's a good 1/25 chance I would say.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

mistermojo posted:

Is it better than the Hollow Soldier Shield +2? I was actually going to upgrade it more but I thought the shield youre talking about is mostly good against poison

Not in my opinion, I used the Hollow Soldier Shield through most of the game because of the pretty good fire resist and 100% damage reduction. Saved my rear end numerous times.

Tokubetsu
Dec 17, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

This Iron Golem fight isn't too bad but I keep walking off the edge. Doesn't help that I'm doing what feels like rear end dmg.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Unknown_PC posted:

They do, but it's quite rare. Even with maxed out 410 item find, it's a good 1/25 chance I would say.

How is item find calculated?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Phoix posted:

It drops off one of the invisible guardians in the forest.

The one most likely to roll off a cliff.

Glenn Quebec
Oct 30, 2005

Hahaha, someone saw this in blue phantom form killing them.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Tokubetsu posted:

This Iron Golem fight isn't too bad but I keep walking off the edge. Doesn't help that I'm doing what feels like rear end dmg.

I had the same problem until I equiped a Pyromancer +10 and combustion his rear end to death. In fact after that bosses I had trouble with I beat with magic, looking at you there O&S and Seath.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Are all the lords that unfun? Bed of chaos and that entire area was just awful, Seath will randomly generate crystals without wind-up and then you're stuck between them and him and you get god drat cursed.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

Are all the lords that unfun? Bed of chaos and that entire area was just awful, Seath will randomly generate crystals without wind-up and then you're stuck between them and him and you get god drat cursed.

All of his attacks have wind-up, you just need to look at his head area.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

dongsweep posted:

Damnit, I have my Iaido to +9 and getting ready to make it +10 and was considering to use Queelag's soul to make it a Chaos Blade - is the Chaos a lot worse than Furyblade? Should I just turn my Iaido into a lightning sword instead?
I hear chaos blade is nice but I haven't made it personally. One quirk about it that made me dismiss it was the fact it does damage back at you. I don't really want to maintain that personally.

Lightning Iaido is really good though, I have one.

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to make sweet love to him! FROM THE BACK!!
RRRRRRRRR

Captain Seafart posted:

Hahaha, someone saw this in blue phantom form killing them.

I wish I could look as ridiculous as that and still be sort of viable. So far I've just been invading the guilty in the onion armor.

Glenn Quebec
Oct 30, 2005

If you're a blade and you invade in anor londo with the ring they give you people aren't aware that you're invading them. Its pretty kick rear end. 9/10 they just stare as some random blue phantom blindsides them.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

So I just made Smough's Hammer and took it to +5 to see if it was any good. Yeah, don't do that. 412 base damage, with a D(!) scaling in strength, and it requires 56 strength to use, 39 with 2 hands. Also, the R2 attack is a useless slow jump attack, and you might as well just use the normal jump attack that comes out at a reasonable speed.

Also, I just killed the Painted World boss, but I was already swinging my sword when I noticed there was a talk option. What did I miss?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

^ Not much, she says you can leave without fighting her if you just jump off the walkway at the end.

Cakeequals posted:

I wish I could look as ridiculous as that and still be sort of viable. So far I've just been invading the guilty in the onion armor.
To be fair Onion Armor is pretty great armor judging by the base stats. I just can't wear it cause it looks so silly.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009

Sacrificial Toast posted:

So I just made Smough's Hammer and took it to +5 to see if it was any good. Yeah, don't do that. 412 base damage, with a D(!) scaling in strength, and it requires 56 strength to use, 39 with 2 hands. Also, the R2 attack is a useless slow jump attack, and you might as well just use the normal jump attack that comes out at a reasonable speed.

I've read that it heals you for the damage it does a la the Meat Cleaver in DeS. Confirm/Deny?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Rascyc posted:

^ Not much, she says you can leave without fighting her if you just jump off the walkway at the end.

To be fair Onion Armor is pretty great armor judging by the base stats. I just can't wear it cause it looks so silly.

Except it uses shining titanite to upgrade .

So has anyone tested it, it says on the onion armor flavor text that it assists in parrying.

Glenn Quebec
Oct 30, 2005

Smough's Armor has some brolic stats if you don't mind looking like some overweight buddha statue/bronze toad. Does anyone have decent directions to the Anor Londo's blacksmith by way of the Darkmoon Bonfire? Or the first Bonfire? I can't find the the giant aspie.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

One of the best things about this thread is seeing people bitch about early fights like the Capra Demon from the perspective of someone stuck in the Tomb of Giants and realizing that I was that guy a day or two ago. Man, I didn't realize how good I had it.

Tokubetsu
Dec 17, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Should I go to Anor Londo Right after beating this golem or go farm first? I keep hearing that anor londo is rough and I still haven't done darkroot garden yet.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(

I went back to Andrei and found the shield upgrades. I must have just missed them due to having so much crap in my inventory.

Tried that lighting guy downstairs and couldn't find a good spot, plus I only have the cheapest arrows.

I have been helping people with the gargoyles...... Didn't seem to take long to get someone. This is on PS3. Bought the heal miracle with the proceeds

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Hollow Soldier Shield is actually one of the best shields in the game, when fully upgraded. It has one of the highest stability ratings, exceeded only by a couple fully upgraded greatshields, which are much heavier. I use it as my standard shield and just switch to specialized mag/fire/lightning/etc shields as the situation calls for them.

Oh and for anyone wondering, Smough's armor set is the best heavy armor in the game, stat-wise.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Guliani is HOT posted:

Don't even try without the greedy snake ring (sp?). Actually don't try even with the ring. They have terrible drop rate and take forever to kill.

Also question regarding Painted World. I made it to some furry looking chick there who told me to jump off the board cause I dont belong there. Did you guys kill her or just left? I am curious if she drops anything good or if I should just leave the painting.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Rascyc posted:

Onion Armor is completely better then Elite Knight but takes Twinkling Titanite which makes it less useful.

Captain Seafart posted:

Smough's Armor has some brolic stats if you don't mind looking like some overweight buddha statue/bronze toad. Does anyone have decent directions to the Anor Londo's blacksmith by way of the Darkmoon Bonfire? Or the first Bonfire? I can't find the the giant aspie.

The big grand hall that houses the two super-giant guard statues and the boss door has two exits upstairs. The right-hand one goes to the bonfire inside, and the left-hand one will lead to the blacksmith.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup

Where do you get the Onion Armor?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

keyframe posted:

Don't even try without the greedy snake ring (sp?). Actually don't try even with the ring. They have terrible drop rate and take forever to kill.

Yeah I gave up. Anyone know where I can find a dragon scale? I've done Anor Londo, Ash Lake, killed the hydra and the undead dragon in Valley of the Drakes. I'm on the Duke's Archives right now. I just need one more to finish upgrading my sword!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk! Clunk!

Seriously what is up with Zweihander!? the second swing never seems to hit even hit even if it slides right through a loving torso. Can't believe how much resources I wasted upgrading this POS.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

The Wise Teen posted:

Where do you get the Onion Armor?

I think the merchant on top of Sens Fortress sells it.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

PurplieNurplie posted:

I've read that it heals you for the damage it does a la the Meat Cleaver in DeS. Confirm/Deny?

Huh, actually it does. It's really minor though. I didn't notice because I was inflicted with toxic for most of the time I was testing it out.

NESguerilla posted:

Seriously what is up with Zweihander!? the second swing never seems to hit even hit even if it slides right through a loving torso. Can't believe how much resources I wasted upgrading this POS.

I've got a Lightning Zweihander +5 and it murders dudes. The dashing attacks on these heavy weapons are really hard to get right though, since I'm used to faster, larger sweeping swings from smaller ones.

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at Oct 12, 2011 around 05:12

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

keyframe posted:

Also question regarding Painted World. I made it to some furry looking chick there who told me to jump off the board cause I dont belong there. Did you guys kill her or just left? I am curious if she drops anything good or if I should just leave the painting.

Achievement/Trophy, soul for making the Lifeblood Scythe and if you cut off the tail, a dagger I believe for the kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

qbert posted:

Oh and for anyone wondering, Smough's armor set is the best heavy armor in the game, stat-wise.
Man, now I wish I wasn't stuck with my crappy spear and armor. I mean, the armor looks fantastic, but it really isn't all that viable compared to other equipment. If it were more viable, I would totally white phantom as an Ornstein clone.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at Oct 12, 2011 around 05:14

• Locked thread
«2322 »