Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I hope whoever decided to put four respawning giants between the bonfire and O&S falls in front of a loving bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How the hell am I supposed to fight the (Darkroot Basin) Hydra? Fucker has pinpoint accuracy with its water blasts, and if I start getting close, the heads tear me apart. I hear I'm supposed to be juuuust between the water and land and that way the heads won't hit me, but I can't manage to hit it either since it moves way too fast
Should I fight that thing first or the first boss in the Depths?

If they make another sequel, I hope they name it Dire Souls. Keep the DS naming convention alive.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I'm restarting with a Pyro, planning to jack INT and make him a Pyro/Sorceror mix. What's the minimum STR/DEX you can get by with for spears and some decent fast swords? Like 14/15?

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Vatek posted:

Account? :confused:

Are you sure you understand how pvp works? There is no open world pvp, you can't just run around and find people fighting poo poo and stab them in the back.

I think he meant to say Covenant.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

So in the Demon Ruins, is there anything else to do besides get that gold-trimmed armour and face Ceaseless Discharge? I'm getting absolutely destroyed by it, so I'm hoping that boss is just optional for now.

Oh, and after Quelaag's lair, in the hidden path, one of those creepy spider-human characters asked if I was a new servant. I said "no" at first, but it looks like I'm able to get him to ask again. What advantage is there if I say "yes"?

SolidHavoc
Jul 16, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

Join darkmoon/darkwraiths, or the chaos covenant. Have different kinds of elemental weapons (fire and lightning) and annoying pyromancy/faith/magic spells such as acid cloud, force, chaos fire whip/flamethrower, homing soul arrow (super expensive and late game but holy gently caress), etc.

You will also need the patience to wait indefinite periods of time before it ever lets you invade someone successfully

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

andrew smash posted:

I hope whoever decided to put four respawning giants between the bonfire and O&S falls in front of a loving bus.

If you use the bonfire inside the cathedral you only have to fight a couple of silver knights and you can run past the giant near the fog door unless you're trying to summon someone. It's a much shorter route than running from the giant spinning elevator.

The Wise Teen posted:

I'm restarting with a Pyro, planning to jack INT and make him a Pyro/Sorceror mix. What's the minimum STR/DEX you can get by with for spears and some decent fast swords? Like 14/15?

Winged Spear is 13/15, I dunno about the regular spear but it's probably around the same.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 13, 2011

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So, does anyone know where to get the spell that lets them fabricate crystals and the spell to fabricate lightning spears and chuck them?

quote:

You will also need the patience to wait indefinite periods of time before it ever lets you invade someone successfully
Everytime I've joined someone or summoned someone I've been invaded. Bad luck?

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Nick Biped posted:

So in the Demon Ruins, is there anything else to do besides get that gold-trimmed armour and face Ceaseless Discharge? I'm getting absolutely destroyed by it, so I'm hoping that boss is just optional for now.

Oh, and after Quelaag's lair, in the hidden path, one of those creepy spider-human characters asked if I was a new servant. I said "no" at first, but it looks like I'm able to get him to ask again. What advantage is there if I say "yes"?

Killing Ceaseless Discharge drains the lava level down so that you can actually proceed and fight a burly brawl with Taurus and Capra demons.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

So everything one-hits you unless you use iron flesh?

Also, iron flesh has to be the free-est, easiest way out spell in the game. Sure you're reduced to moving at 10% regular speed but you get damage reduction of like 90% that isn't based on any stats. It makes the final boss kind of a joke.

And my pyromancer died before I bothered to learn that spell, and I killed the chaos pyromancy teacher (egg dude).

Surprisingly I can usually take a few hits before I go down, there are a few enemies that can twoshot me, but honestly the only enemy that I've ever had a real problem with was Havel at the beginning, because he could one-shot me through a block with his two-handed attack.

Also I have been using the ring of favour, that increases health/stam/load by 20% pretty much since I got it which has helped.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Bobnumerotres posted:

So, does anyone know where to get the spell that lets them fabricate crystals and the spell to fabricate lightning spears and chuck them?
You get Lightning Spear from being a Warrior of Sunlight.

It requires 20 faith and I can't use it. :negative:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Bobnumerotres posted:

Nope, invaders like to hang around boss gates because they're the most reliable area to find someone who's actually eligible for invading, and unless you have that ring or whatever that lets you invade for no cost, those cracked red orbs aren't cheap.

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to make sweet love to him! FROM THE BACK!!
RRRRRRRRR
Does the giant Dragonslayer bow from Anor Lando knock people down? I'm think about putting my strength up to use it, because if it does, it sounds like it would be hilarious for PvP.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Nick Biped posted:

You get access to a bonfire that's already kindled, and another Covenant. Say 'yes'.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Vatek posted:

Account? :confused:

Are you sure you understand how pvp works? There is no open world pvp, you can't just run around and find people fighting poo poo and stab them in the back.

i meant covenant but thanks for assuming i'm retarded. Actually i can see how it could have been super confusing but i was distracted by the pastry i'm eating, no idea why i typed account

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Vatek posted:

If you use the bonfire inside the cathedral you only have to fight a couple of silver knights and you can run past the giant near the fog door unless you're trying to summon someone. It's a much shorter route than running from the giant spinning elevator.

I have been trying to summon though, when I try to fight them alone I get slaughtered even faster. I've never successfully summoned another player though. I can be summoned and invaded but I have never succeeded at summoning or invading someone else. It's incredibly frustrating.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I have the uchigatana raised to +8 and I just found the iaido. Is it worth upgrading the iaido to +10? It's starting damage was slightly higher than the uchigatana's starting damage (88 vs 80) but its power attack doesn't seem that good, at the very least it doesn't attack as quickly as the uchigatana's overhand strike.

Stupid school is getting in the way of my Dark Souling! :argh:

Nick Biped posted:

Oh, goodie. I think I'll just put that aside for now.

The taurus demons aren't so bad if you pull one at a time and roll between their legs. They have really wonky hit detection though, and if you're standing too close their attacks can hit over your shield.

gently caress the capra demons, though. They're dicks.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 13, 2011

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

GaistHeidegger posted:

Killing Ceaseless Discharge drains the lava level down so that you can actually proceed and fight a burly brawl with Taurus and Capra demons.

U-DO Burger posted:

You get access to a bonfire that's already kindled, and another Covenant. Say 'yes'.

Yeah, I saw the bonfire in there. Will do, then.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Vatek posted:

Re-roll as a dexterous fleet of foot agility monster, get a shitload of endurance and laugh as you block nearly any attack in the game. The only real downside is a lack of poise since the best armor choice for a lightweight character is the gold-hemmed robes unless you use the +20% hp/stam/weight ring and Havel's ring at the same time.

Actually the +9 Wanderer stuff is probably better than the gold-hemmed stuff, and Mask of the Mother is probably the best light helm.

Seems to me like the best light armor gear is:

Helm: Mask of the Mother
Body Armor: Wanderer Coat +9
Gloves: Wanderer Manchette +9
Legs: Blood Stained Skirt + 9

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

Find Big Hat Logan in Sen's Fortress, free him and talk to him a bit, he should mention wanting to pay you back, he'll end up at Firelink Shrine, then after you've beaten Smough and Ornstein in Anor Londo you'll find Big Hat Logan in the Dukes Archives after a quick battle with Seath where he needs rescuing again, you'll progress a fair way through before you actually get the key to rescue him, after rescuing him he's nearby the bonfire just before the crystal caves/canyon in one of the little side-rooms, same floor as the bonfire, but behind a bookshelf you'll have to move with a switch from the other side.

He should now sell crystal versions of some of his spells, namely Soul Spear, enchant weapon/shield, and Soul Mass.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cakeequals posted:

Does the giant Dragonslayer bow from Anor Lando knock people down? I'm think about putting my strength up to use it, because if it does, it sounds like it would be hilarious for PvP.
You always wield bows 2-handed, so the strength requirement is lowered, if that helps.

freeb0rn
Jan 22, 2005

Heavy neutrino posted:

Actually the +9 Wanderer stuff is probably better than the gold-hemmed stuff, and Mask of the Mother is probably the best light helm.

Seems to me like the best light armor gear is:

Helm: Mask of the Mother
Body Armor: Wanderer Coat +9
Gloves: Wanderer Manchette +9
Legs: Blood Stained Skirt + 9

Why stop at +9?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Nick Biped posted:

Yeah, I saw the bonfire in there. Will do, then.

When you get the ability to warp between specific bonfires, that is one that you can warp to, it shows up on the list as Daughter of Chaos, it's definitely worth having access to even if you don't want to join the covenant.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
This thread moves way too loving fast.

I just finished the Depths (thanks two white phantoms who helped me take out the gaping dragon my first time through, and got me the axe!). I ventured into Blighttown, but the first enemies take forever to kill. I'm using a Longsword +5, which I eventually want to turn into an electricity weapon. I also have a Mace +5 that's going to become a divine weapon. I'm SL 26. Am I just missing the weakness here, or do I just have to slow churn my way through Blighttown?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

freeb0rn posted:

Why stop at +9?
Stopping at +14 certainly makes a lot more sense, given how much of a bitch slabs are to get.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Dirty Job posted:

I have the uchigatana raised to +8 and I just found the iaido. Is it worth upgrading the iaido to +10? It's starting damage was slightly higher than the uchigatana's starting damage (88 vs 80) but its power attack doesn't seem that good, at the very least it doesn't attack as quickly as the uchigatana's overhand strike.

The Uchigatana starts at 90 attack so it does more damage than the Iaido. If you don't care for the Iaido's attacks, then stick with the Uchigatana.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Stopping at +14 certainly makes a lot more sense, given how much of a bitch slabs are to get.

I think armor stops at +10, so it makes sense to stop at +9 for the same reason being that slabs are a bitch to get.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

andrew smash posted:

I have been trying to summon though, when I try to fight them alone I get slaughtered even faster. I've never successfully summoned another player though. I can be summoned and invaded but I have never succeeded at summoning or invading someone else. It's incredibly frustrating.

Haha, right after posting this I successfully summoned another player for the first time ever, and me, this dude, and solaire absolutely rocked them.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Filthy Monkey posted:

um armor upgrades to a maximum of +10, which costs a slab.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Sen's Fortress did some horrible things to me, but I managed to get to the top-side bonfire. Along the way the game gifted me pity humanity which I used to turn human and summon people for the boss fight.

The boss lasted less than a minute. It was quite possibly the most cathartic experience I've ever had as the three of us stood on his fallen form stomping him into paste. And to top it off one of the summons was a gold phantom, so I got a medal too!

Gotta go back down to get that item-finding ring, though that doesn't worry me since I imagine what's ahead will make what I just went through seem like a cake-walk.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

andrew smash posted:

Haha, right after posting this I successfully summoned another player for the first time ever, and me, this dude, and solaire absolutely rocked them.
Am I correct in thinking that I can not invite a specific person into my game? Like if my roommate bought a copy me and him couldn't just play together?

Sorry if that's a dumb question but I'm seriously avoiding reading pretty much everything about this game. Including this thread.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Dirty Job posted:

gently caress the capra demons, though. They're dicks.

The capras aren't so bad as long as you fight them one at a time and never, ever get hit by the leaping attack where they slam both swords down.

Paper Diamonds posted:

Am I correct in thinking that I can not invite a specific person into my game? Like if my roommate bought a copy me and him couldn't just play together?

Sorry if that's a dumb question but I'm seriously avoiding reading pretty much everything about this game. Including this thread.

You cannot invite a person to your game and play through it cooperatively. The best you can do is have him drop a summon sign at whatever boss you're trying to fight and hope you can see it, at which point you could fight a boss together. When you kill the boss, he'll disappear back to his own world.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Paper Diamonds posted:

If you're in the same place, connected to the same server, one of you is in human form and haven't beaten the boss, he can lay down his sign and you can check his name and summon him, but anyone else can pull him first, so you have to arrange to have him lay it somewhere thats likely off the beaten path, and hope that you're connected to the same server or you won't even see it.

So it's possible but the game is pretty much designed to do everything it can to prevent you from doing that.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Paper Diamonds posted:

You need to luck your way into the same server, and I don't know of any way to facilitate that.

An easy way to check is go somewhere where no signs will be and drop it, so there won't be other signs/people summoning to mess things up. There's a bit of delay between dropping and seeing signs.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I don't think anybody's explicitly said it, but the Welcome To Anor Londo cutscene is loving amazing and gives you a sense of just how loving enormous this game is. And the aesthetic of the area is loving cool--I was expecting a run-down city (again) and was blown away with what I got.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Vatek posted:

From that bonfire, you can jump off the stairwell to the path to O&S and not fight any silver knights, except maybe the first if you screw up jumping and he comes after you.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I can't seem to find the Fire ember. I think it's somewhere in the Demon Ruins and I've already found the choas one, but I want just plain old fire. Any idea where it is? I hear it's near centipedes.

AzureEdge
Mar 14, 2011
Just to clarify, I can leave Way of White for Darkmoon with no penalty, but can I leave Way of White for the Solaire Covenant? I want the Lightning Spear but I don't know if it'll break my covenant.

Also, I don't want to gently caress up rescuing Rhea, do I have to kill Petrus before I rescue her? I heard that there's a 2 area time limit, but if you walk from the Tomb of Giants to Firelink you won't make it in time. I'd assume killing him would break Way of White though, but I want to get the advanced miracles from Rhea.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

AzureEdge posted:

Just to clarify, I can leave Way of White for Darkmoon with no penalty, but can I leave Way of White for the Solaire Covenant? I want the Lightning Spear but I don't know if it'll break my covenant.

Also, I don't want to gently caress up rescuing Rhea, do I have to kill Petrus before I rescue her? I heard that there's a 2 area time limit, but if you walk from the Tomb of Giants to Firelink you won't make it in time. I'd assume killing him would break Way of White though, but I want to get the advanced miracles from Rhea.
I left WoW for Warriors of Sunlight, and apparently there are no hard feelings. I have no sin. Being a WoS is cool, because I get to be gold.

...at least I'm pretty sure I was in WoW.

Someone said you can just go catacombs -> Firelink -> Parish, which is fast enough.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

NoneSuch posted:

I can't seem to find the Fire ember. I think it's somewhere in the Demon Ruins and I've already found the choas one, but I want just plain old fire. Any idea where it is? I hear it's near centipedes.

Should be right near the entrance to the second boss room (the boss that looks like the one you fought in the tutorial). Right at the bottom of the large staircase, you should see a path to your left with 2 Taurus Demons along it. The ember is at the end of the path. Be very careful because the game isn't going to let you have it as easily as it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

evilalien posted:

Should be right near the entrance to the second boss room (the boss that looks like the one you fought in the tutorial). Right at the bottom of the large staircase, you should see a path to your left with 2 Taurus Demons along it. The ember is at the end of the path. Be very careful because the game isn't going to let you have it as easily as it seems.

Thanks! I'm very near that, I just have to get a bit better at timing my attacks against the big dudes. They're slow but they have so much range, it's hard to close the distance in time before their next attack.

• Locked thread