Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2322 »
  • Locked thread
Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Has anyone who is playing early made it to the swordswolf yet? Is it as terrifying as I imagine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

Capsaicin posted:

Has anyone who is playing early made it to the swordswolf yet? Is it as terrifying as I imagine?

Yes, yes it is.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I thought the key gift wasn't consumable? If it isn't why would you want two?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

low-key-taco posted:

Because you're a sucker. 420 Obfuscate Critical Information Everyday.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Unknown_PC posted:

There is also a hidden bonfire on the left side of the marked door if you attack the wall.

Yeah I got that thanks. The messages from other players have kept me on top of a lot of these things!

swordfish duelist
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

low-key-taco posted:

They have a 3/10 chance of breaking No they don't.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

why does the game freeze alot, i'm on the ps3 and it ruined a boss fight i almost finished, it seems whenever the game gets very busy the ps3 farts and hard locks the game, keep in mind this is a really fresh 320 ps3 slim i bought like a week ago.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Try playing in offline mode if there is one.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fizzil posted:

why does the game freeze alot, i'm on the ps3 and it ruined a boss fight i almost finished, it seems whenever the game gets very busy the ps3 farts and hard locks the game, keep in mind this is a really fresh 320 ps3 slim i bought like a week ago.
Did your copy update to 1.03?

swordfish duelist
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

The.GreyWolf posted:

Try playing in offline mode if there is one.

Just need to sign off PSN to get into the offline mode.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Fizzil posted:

I haven't had one freeze yet, ~20 hours in. 120 gb slim ps3 I think? Only some slowdown at times. Are you sure you. Got the 1.3 or whatever patch it asks you to do on boot? That was supposed to be to correct freezing issues, right?

e;fb

wander
Nov 9, 2009

Hmm, this is a bit late, but does anyone know if I would still be able to pick up a Collector's Edition somewhere? Seems like Amazon stopped offering that free upgrade.

If I can get the free upgrade, I would buy it now, but otherwise I'd just wait until I actually had the time to play it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Reviews are starting to come in. The content should not be a surprise to anyone in here.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'd really like to see Gametrailer's review. They consistently have accurate reviews.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

I think Demon's Souls taught some people to value rolling too much. I just watched a guy strip off all his armor so he could fast-roll directly into a one-hit death swing that he could've shrugged off by blocking. No one seems to ever notice that you don't get stun-locked in heavy armor.

How does the poise system work anyway? If you're wearing heavy armor and pump up your endurance, do you get staggered more because your armor is less heavy relative to your stats, or is it based on the armor's weight alone? I mean you could always just wear heavier armor, but it seems odd that increasing a stat would make you worse at taking hits.

EDIT: Ah, I had assumed that it was inversely linked to roll speed, glad to be wrong.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at Oct 3, 2011 around 17:27

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Vanguard Warden posted:

How does the poise system work anyway? If you're wearing heavy armor and pump up your endurance, do you get staggered more because your armor is less heavy relative to your stats, or is it based on the armor's weight alone? I mean you could always just wear heavier armor, but it seems odd that increasing a stat would make you worse at taking hits.
The armor has a poise value, it isn't related directly to weight, other than that heavier armor tends to have higher poise. Also I have a ring that increases poise by itself.

edit: most light armor has a poise value of zero.

edit again: poise is a really weird translation, the Japanese (強靭度) is more like toughness or stiffness.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at Oct 3, 2011 around 17:28

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Samurai Sanders posted:

Reviews are starting to come in. The content should not be a surprise to anyone in here.

I can't believe in one day I will be playing the sequel to Demons Souls.

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

Wizard Whateley posted:

Anyone know anything about the status of the strategy guide? I'm curious if it'll be faster to ship from Future Press in the UK or from Amazon. I somehow don't think Amazon even have their copies yet and will be waiting to get theirs from overseas... The Bayonetta guide from Future Press (aka: the best strategy guide ever written) took more than a month to come out after the game was released, so I am pretty much in the dark as to what's going on with it despite Amazon stating the release is tomorrow. Like, maybe it theoretically means that it might "EXIST" tomorrow, but I can't see Amazon actually shipping it that early.

I ordered the guide from Amazon and it's currently looking like it'll be delivered on the 10th, this is with 1 business day delivery as well.

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam

I am going to break under pressure and get the game at the midnight release tonight, even though I have a preorder with Amazon. I have work Tuesday evening, and I'm pretty sure an extra 24 hours will kill me. Luckily, I have a friend who might buy the extra copy after he takes a look at it. If not, no big deal. I enjoy throwing money at From, they deserve it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

Samurai Sanders posted:

"It takes the concepts of deadly environments and unflinching difficulty introduced by 2009's infamously tough Demon's Souls..."

King's Field, the series the world forgot.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

"It takes the concepts of deadly environments and unflinching difficulty introduced by 2009's infamously tough Demon's Souls..."

King's Field, the series the world forgot.

Don't worry. Seath is in Dark Souls. The developers remember.

swordfish duelist
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

I'm so glad I was compulsively checking my Amazon account, I apparently didn't update my credit card info, and when they tried to take the preorder money, it got hung up and needed to be corrected.

Got it fixed and now it says shipping soon.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Think I might ask for this for my birthday, that way it'll be a couple of weeks in and there will be a suitable amount of messages about the place to warn of incoming dangers.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

I AM SO FUCKING SMART.NOW I AM THE BIGGER FAGGOT.ZELDA HAHAHAHAHA

Is it possible still finish demon souls even though the vast majorly of people will be moving on to this game? I still want to finish demon souls before playing this and I bet dark souls will be on sale on amazon soon.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Glumwheels posted:

Is it possible still finish demon souls even though the vast majorly of people will be moving on to this game? I still want to finish demon souls before playing this and I bet dark souls will be on sale on amazon soon.
Oh, you'll be fine, and you should finish Demon's Souls because the ending is awesome.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Bah, can't believe I got the release date of this mixed up, so I didn't pre-order, so I didn't get the free upgrade to the collector's edition.

Guess I'll be swinging by (ugh) Gamestop tomorrow after work to pick this up. Or...before work? Call out sick? Tempting, but no, not worth wasting a sick day.

I haven't actually read up on this as I should, so maybe while at work the rest of today and tomorrow I'll plow through the wiki and see what's what.

swordfish duelist
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, you'll be fine, and you should finish Demon's Souls because the ending is awesome.

Which one?

Seriously though, listen to Sanders, the game is well worth seeing to completion.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Edge's review is up: http://www.next-gen.biz/reviews/dark-souls-review

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.

Quinch posted:

I ordered the guide from Amazon and it's currently looking like it'll be delivered on the 10th, this is with 1 business day delivery as well.

Thanks for the info. That sounds about right for it being published and then going to the distributors and then to us. I'm going to try to order from Future Press directly and see what happens.

edit: well, hell. I can't figure out how to order anything from their site. I could swear I ordered directly from them before.

Wizard Whateley fucked around with this message at Oct 3, 2011 around 17:51

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Wizard Whateley posted:

Thanks for the info. That sounds about right for it being published and then going to the distributors and then to us. I'm going to try to order from Future Press directly and see what happens.

fwiw Amazon has my delivery estimate for the guide as October 5th right now (with next day delivery).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

a negative influence

Crowbear posted:

They seem to like it.

I mean, just extrapolating here.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I don't see how any critic is going to give it less than a gushing review. For better or for worse, they'd be laughed right out of town.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Oxxidation posted:

They seem to like it.

I mean, just extrapolating here.

quote:

After more than 60 hours into our journey, an NPC clucks: "How do these martyrs keep chugging along? I'd peter out in an instant." We do so, quite simply, because other games feel comparatively bland, facile and unsatisfying.

I would say so, yes.

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

Crowbear posted:

I would say so, yes.

He compared the game to House of Leaves. Unheimlich .

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't see how any critic is going to give it less than a gushing review. For better or for worse, they'd be laughed right out of town.

This is the kind of game like Super Metroid where the only bad reviews of it ever will be the occasional Gamefaqs user review.

So far the lowest review comes from Game Informer (8.75) with the main criticisms being "too hard" and "easy to get lost." My hearts breaking. I wonder if fan hype for this game is such that it will be like Twilight Princess where overzealous Nintendo fans were calling for the sacking of any critic that gave that game less than a 9.5.

Though it would be an ultimate troll if you could get the King's Map item in this like in The Ancient City. It's a crystal ball that, when used gives you a fully rotatable layered 3D map of the entire game. You get it about 45 minutes before the end of that game.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at Oct 3, 2011 around 18:09

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.

Crowbear posted:

fwiw Amazon has my delivery estimate for the guide as October 5th right now (with next day delivery).

I'm ordering it from Amazon and hoping for the best then. It's crazy that their site doesn't seem to have a store anymore, or I'm just terrible at finding it and they're terrible at selling their own products by hiding their online storefront.... hmmm

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

WMain00 posted:

Think I might ask for this for my birthday, that way it'll be a couple of weeks in and there will be a suitable amount of messages about the place to warn of incoming dangers.

There are already a suitable amount of messages everywhere. Don't worry, whenever you start there'll be messages warning (and trolling) you.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Crowbear posted:

Daaaaamn, now there's a box-quote and a half:

Edge posted:

Welcome to the most memorable game world since… wait a second, did we just consider deleting the word ‘since’?

Edge have been pretty negative about things lately, including a few games that were 'sure things' leading up to release. It's really nice to see something so glowingly positive.

swordfish duelist
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Talran posted:

There are already a suitable amount of messages everywhere. Don't worry, whenever you start there'll be messages warning (and trolling) you.

So am I "That Guy" in these games because I don't write helpful messages 70% of the time?

I'd put warning messages about Sparkly down and everything.

This game needs Sparkly back. I just want to give her Sparkly Twinklys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Smelly posted:

This game needs Sparkly back. I just want to give her Sparkly Twinklys.

What was her deal, anyway? Was she a demon? A human that got turned into a crow? A talking crow who existed even before the cataclysm?

• Locked thread
«2322 »