Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Does the cat's covenant ring summoning schtick use the normal SL range rules or does it go outta the window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Guliani is HOT posted:

Alright so how do I run through Lost Izalith. gently caress these giant headless chickens, I can kill them but it's gonna take forever to clear this and I'd rather not

If you have the fog ring, hug the right wall until you get blocked by a tree then run for the black tower in the distance (the one farther away from the bonfire). Sometimes you can make it up the tree branch before you get stomped. There's a bonfire behind an illusory wall at the bottom of this tower, on the side to the left of where you came up the ramp.

From there, there's only three headless chickens between you and a ramp to a place of milk and honey where the ground doesn't destroy your armor and you can see your bloodstain.

EDIT: Aw, beaten.

Hexempaler
Sep 13, 2010

I know what you're thinking.
Did he fire sixty-six shots or only sixty-five?
Question is, do I feel lucky?
Well, do ya, punk?

Nigulus Rex posted:

I actually broke their covenant because when I went to farm that area in the forest they weren't hostile anymore. Oh well.
Darkmoon or Forest? I'm in Forest now but I'll probably break it for the farming and the Ninja's Ring

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Hexempaler posted:

Darkmoon or Forest? I'm in Forest now but I'll probably break it for the farming and the Ninja's Ring

Forest

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Anonononomous posted:

What's a good Covenant for a first run? I started knight, so I'm already in the Way of White, but it doesn't seem useful. And I already said no to the cat and the egg man. Didn't know I only got one shot.

This might be a controversial opinion. But covenants don't make a blind bit of difference unless you're keeping a close eye on a wiki. Join as many as you can for some extra trophies, and don't worry about them for any other reason.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Does starting as a Pyromancer for the low Soul Level mean my first few upgrades will be cheaper, or should I just stick to being a Thief so I can have two gifts?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Crowbear posted:

Just found my first Vagrant. It looked like a black and white crab that fired clusters of about 10 arrows at me. Took 2 hits to kill and dropped a twin humanities.
Forty hours now and I've seen a grand total of zero, so you're a lucky man.

I tried to solve the lack of them by going to the grand hall of Anor Londo and dumping my entire useless arsenal there. My screen was a maze of floating spinniing symbols by the time I was done.

Remember kids, repopulating the evil black crab Vagrant population isn't just optional, it's your god drat duty.

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>
I'm at the start of New Londo but I'm feeling pretty weak with my +2 Drake Sword. What kind of 1H weapon would you recommend? Queelag's? upgrading the Lightning Spear I found in Sen Fortress ?
Should I keep upgrading the eagle shield ? or is there a better tower shield later ?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

sentrygun posted:

Does starting as a Pyromancer for the low Soul Level mean my first few upgrades will be cheaper, or should I just stick to being a Thief so I can have two gifts?

Your first few points are cheaper but all the classes are basically even on overall points when you take into account starting level

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Rollersnake posted:

What level Faith should I have in order for divine weapons to not suck? I'm still a ways off from attempting the Catacombs, but I understand divine weapons are the only way of making regenerating skeletons stay down. Will I be fine going through there with a divine weapon and my base Faith (9)?

I'm having trouble deciding between Sorcery or Miracles. I'm leaning toward Miracles because boosting Faith will actually serve another practical purpose, but some of the sorceries (homing missiles? slow fall?) you can get sound really loving cool. My character's an agile ranger type with an emphasis on light weapons and armor and bow use. What do you think would best complement my play style? Again, I can't use pyromancy this game as I killed the guy in the Depths.

I didn't get an answer to this post several pages ago. Anybody have any advice?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

If I beat a boss am I still able to be summoned to help other people fight that boss or am I locked out?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DurosKlav posted:

If I beat a boss am I still able to be summoned to help other people fight that boss or am I locked out?
Yeah throw around your white sign all you want. :)

You just have to stay in that area, and can't gain liquid humanity off kills once the boss has died in your game. :(

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
so if I get all the cool equipment rewards for the Darkwraith, do I keep all that stuff once I leave the covenant?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

I didn't get an answer to this post several pages ago. Anybody have any advice?

I went through that area on 3 different 8 faith characters using a +5 divine club (downgraded from the occult club you find somewhere else). It was really easy every time.

Revitalized posted:

so if I get all the cool equipment rewards for the Darkwraith, do I keep all that stuff once I leave the covenant?

I only picked up the Dark Hand, but yeah. I kept it after leaving.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

how do I reach the catacombs blacksmith? I hear him chipping away and I can't find it.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Coulis posted:

I'm at the start of New Londo but I'm feeling pretty weak with my +2 Drake Sword. What kind of 1H weapon would you recommend? Queelag's? upgrading the Lightning Spear I found in Sen Fortress ?
Should I keep upgrading the eagle shield ? or is there a better tower shield later ?

Queelags is great, lightning spear is a good alternative till you make the furysword.

Any opinion on the shield or sword from sifs soul? How is Ornsteins spear? Using a spear that dropped from one of the knights in sens fortress because I killed Ornstein first. Any weapons to pass furysword over for? Spoilered just incase.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

coyo7e posted:

Yeah throw around your white sign all you want. :)

You just have to stay in that area, and can't gain liquid humanity off kills once the boss has died in your game. :(
I think making white sigils not go away until you manually erase it would be a huge improvement. People would be able to be available to help and be able to do things.

They also need to change the level split. Apparently it was 10 + 10% in Demon's Souls? Maybe make it 5 + 10% or something, if they want it smaller. It's too small. I want to be summoned to help. :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Any 360 goons near Sef's boss? I'm putting down a sign because I'm a baby who doesn't want to go in blind.

e: We beat him!

Was...was I just taken to Castlevania?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 14, 2011

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

victrix posted:

Is there some reason I can't warp back to (post anor londo) The bottom of the Crystal Cave? I used the fire there, and I can warp the useless Abyss, but not to the cave? Seems kind of... dumb.

Thread moving too fast, anyone ^^^

Bonus question, is there anything worthwhile in the Abyss? Why do they let you warp back there?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

sentrygun posted:

The key really isnt needed unless you want to skip some areas (BLIGHTTOWN), it also helps in getting some good gear earlier on but at the expense of having to kill or dodge some hardcore mobs for your soul level.

Also the low level means that you'll get the first levels cheaper and you'll have more stats than an equal level character.

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

Optiquest posted:

Queelags is great, lightning spear is a good alternative till you make the furysword.

Any opinion on the shield or sword from sifs soul? How is Ornsteins spear? Using a spear that dropped from one of the knights in sens fortress because I killed Ornstein first. Any weapons to pass furysword over for? Spoilered just incase.

The sword has a 20/20 int/faith requirement. So I never got to use it. :downs: I used the fury sword until I got a generic weapon to lightning. A generic elemental weapon is pretty much going to be better than any boss-ascended weapons, unfortunately.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Pierson posted:

Forty hours now and I've seen a grand total of zero, so you're a lucky man.

I tried to solve the lack of them by going to the grand hall of Anor Londo and dumping my entire useless arsenal there. My screen was a maze of floating spinniing symbols by the time I was done.

Remember kids, repopulating the evil black crab Vagrant population isn't just optional, it's your god drat duty.

I've been plonking hollow gear around Firelink and the bridge to Sen's Fortress. Might start dropping them around the Darkwood farming area just to dick with farmers :p

Also, anyone who said the Iron Golem was easy is a dick.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

victrix posted:

Thread moving too fast, anyone ^^^

Bonus question, is there anything worthwhile in the Abyss? Why do they let you warp back there?

It's a Covenant area if you didn't progress the story too far.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Elysiume posted:

Is there a way to make Fire Orb go farther? The range is tiny. Am I doing something stupid? (Also is Fire Orb the good one)
It always just thwaps into the ground. Help? :saddowns:

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

For what it's worth, the guide doesn't say anything about vagrants, but describes "Drift Items" as items that have turned into monsters. But according to the guide, they're spawned when players die in specific areas of the game.

Elysiume posted:

The range on pyromancy is kind of bad, but try targeting them first. If you don't target them, you'll just toss it in front of you.

Resonance22 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 14, 2011

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Elysiume posted:

Welcome to the downside to pyromancy: range.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

MadJackMcJack posted:

I've been plonking hollow gear around Firelink and the bridge to Sen's Fortress. Might start dropping them around the Darkwood farming area just to dick with farmers :p

Also, anyone who said the Iron Golem was easy is a dick.

I hit him twice, and he just sat there staggering until I killed him. :smug:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Elysiume posted:

I think making white sigils not go away until you manually erase it would be a huge improvement. People would be able to be available to help and be able to do things.

They also need to change the level split. Apparently it was 10 + 10% in Demon's Souls? Maybe make it 5 + 10% or something, if they want it smaller. It's too small. I want to be summoned to help. :(
Yeah it's a shame you can't get summoned between areas, especially since you're stuck farming, and often you can clear an area (like parish, I will regularly hang out there trying to get summoned) in only a couple minutes if you're decently powerful and know what you're doing.. Then you've gotta bounce to a fire and your sign vanishes and then you've gotta re-lay it..

I am still confused about the summoning ranges though, because I've heard both +- 10%, as well as +- 10 soul levels.. Multiple times from multiple sources. And of course, white and sun covenants supposedly do something as well... But the guide is pretty unhelpful in the area of covenants.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

A hint for those who have trouble getting past the two archers in Anor Londo - when you get to the top, shield up and rush the one on the right, he's much closer; if you get close enough, he'll drop the bow and take out a sword. Use a weapon that has a thrusting attack, preferably. In this position, the other archer should not be able to hit you because the pillar should be between you and him.

Still, those archers are a dick move.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I hit him twice, and he just sat there staggering until I killed him. :smug:

I didn't kill the bomb thrower so I circle strafed while me and my NPC buddy hacked his limbs off.

e: Sen's is awesome once you get past the first three rooms! It's like Castlevania's Clock Tower. Actually come to think of it the boss of the clock tower in one of the games was an iron golem.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Please tell me the game picks back up after Sen's Fortress, I had more fun in loving blighttown then this piece of poo poo.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

MadJackMcJack posted:

Welcome to the downside to pyromancy: range.
I was taking it as my ranged attack. Guess that was silly. Sorcery scales off of int, right? This isn't an int character.

coyo7e posted:

Yeah it's a shame you can't get summoned between areas, especially since you're stuck farming, and often you can clear an area (like parish, I will regularly hang out there trying to get summoned) in only a couple minutes if you're decently powerful and know what you're doing.. Then you've gotta bounce to a fire and your sign vanishes and then you've gotta re-lay it..

I am still confused about the summoning ranges though, because I've heard both +- 10%, as well as +- 10 soul levels.. Multiple times from multiple sources. And of course, white and sun covenants supposedly do something as well... But the guide is pretty unhelpful in the area of covenants.
I think the ±10 comes from the guide, and I've heard that it's wrong. Based on experience, I would say that ±10% seems more accurate.

I basically idle at Gaping Dragon while I do other things. It takes forever to get summoned, but I rarely fail, and I can get other things done. I do need to reequip a heal because a) pyromancy is too short ranged and b) hosts do not understand that I can't heal myself. I'm feeling megaheal just because it's cooler and I don't usually get hit more than once.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Toiwat posted:

A hint for those who have trouble getting past the two archers in Anor Londo - when you get to the top, shield up and rush the one on the right, he's much closer; if you get close enough, he'll drop the bow and take out a sword. Use a weapon that has a thrusting attack, preferably. In this position, the other archer should not be able to hit you because the pillar should be between you and him.

Still, those archers are a dick move.
Or if you don't want to risk falling and you have enough Poise you can just block endlessly until his reeling-back animation bounces him off the edge of the wall. :haw:

When I got that bow and some of those arrows for myself the first thing I did was find the closest Silver Knight I could and shot one right into his goddamn face.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I think I have a new favourite weapon...

The Demonite Catchpole, 120/145/0/0 with D/D/D/- scaling, its strong attack is the demonite demon's leap and downwards stab, less acrobatic, but still!

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Please tell me the game picks back up after Sen's Fortress, I had more fun in loving blighttown then this piece of poo poo.

The area directly after Sen's is great but I feel like most of the other areas the game sends you to after that aren't very fun.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Elysiume posted:

I was taking it as my ranged attack. Guess that was silly. Sorcery scales off of int, right? This isn't an int character.

I use the longbow from Basin and a million wooden arrows from the undead merchant. Excellent for pulling and does enough damage to make plinking away at tough enemies not too tedious.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Do I need to talk to anyone or anything before my boss fight assists 'count' towards the Sunlight Night's covenant or anything? I'm almost positive I've killed enough bosses as a phantom to be allowed in, but the altar is giving me no prompts to join.

Viash
Mar 17, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

After you finish the area after Sen's the game just kind of takes a huge poo poo, and it stops being fun hard and starts being annoying hard.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

MadJackMcJack posted:

I use the longbow from Basin and a million wooden arrows from the undead merchant. Excellent for pulling and does enough damage to make plinking away at tough enemies not too tedious.
I only really use the bow for pulling (and cutting off some Hydra heads until I realized it's way, way quicker to hit them with a sword). When ~5 arrows is a single sword swipe, I might as well sword things.

Is there any way to get summoned more? I realize I'm a bit high level, but this is slow as hell. Does save/quit/rejoin put me in a new server?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Where's big hat logan after you free him in Duke's Archives?

• Locked thread