Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2322 »
  • Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Garin posted:

We can battle spreadsheets if you like, but I kinda prefer blue background + white text over that mess of colors even if it is smaller.

Eh, the colors are there for useability and legibility. I can't stand messy charts and charts should have colors.

By the way everyone I'll have a pretty useful guide finished up tomorrow. Maybe 30 pages?

Here's the TOC as it stands now, it will get edited a bit:

quote:

Getting Started
Character Selection
Starting Gifts
How to Succeed at Dark Souls

Game mechanics
Humanity
Stats
Poise
Magic
Upgrading equipment
Covenants
Multiplayer

Preferred Equipment
Armor
Shields
Catalysts, Flames and Talismans
Weapons

Some Specific Advice
Help! I’ve been cursed!
Help! I accidentally aggro’d an NPC!
Don’ts (eat firelink soul, hit vendors, waste humanity, overspecialize)
Early equipment
Farming: Souls, Humanity, Stones, Farming Equipment
My First Character: A PvM Build to ~SL25
Sticking Points

As I get more time I'll add a boss souls chart, a farming chart, and an embers chart.

(I also have a pretty cool Demon's Souls guide that's on the back burner now thanks to me not being able to finish it because of school.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Well I'm sad. I thought the 'combs were bad enough.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Unknown_PC posted:

Yeah, you need 15 INT as others have stated. You can also negate this requirement after rescuing Logan for the 2nd time in Duke's Archive.

This is wrong because my thief has starting int (12 I think, maybe 13) and I could learn spells off him as soon as I met him.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Holy poo poo, the only thing that's managed to give me an actual jolt in this game is the moment of recognition when i figured out what was all over the ground when i drained the water in new londo ruins

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Woo! Two soaps summoned and he's down. Had a cleric or something with us. No idea magic was that crazy. Guess I'll have to check it out.

Thanks if that was one of you guys.

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Before I farm up 80 Humanity and blow it all, does anyone know for a fact whether or not rank 3 Darkwraith actually does anything of note?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

When can I get the key to Lower New Londo from Ingward if I don't want to kill him?

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan

Sheep-Goats posted:

Eh, the colors are there for useability and legibility. I can't stand messy charts and charts should have colors.

By the way everyone I'll have a pretty useful guide finished up tomorrow. Maybe 30 pages?

Here's the TOC as it stands now, it will get edited a bit:

As I get more time I'll add a boss souls chart, a farming chart, and an embers chart.

(I also have a pretty cool Demon's Souls guide that's on the back burner now thanks to me not being able to finish it because of school.)

Guide all you want, it's just that bright colors on a white background are a little grating for monitors. You need to also think of those poor goons who are internetting in the dark!

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Teenage Fansub posted:

When can I get the key to Lower New Londo from Ingward if I don't want to kill him?

get the lordvessel and he will give it to you.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I tell you the truth: one of you chumps will betray me

andrew smash posted:

Holy poo poo, the only thing that's managed to give me an actual jolt in this game is the moment of recognition when i figured out what was all over the ground when i drained the water in new londo ruins

After draining the water it's one of the most interesting visuals I've seen in a game.

Teenage Fansub posted:

After you get the Lordvessel; don't talk to Frampt after that if you want to join the Darkwraith covenant.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

gently caress this out already? What's the goon census? I never played Demon Souls because I only have a 360, but wasn't this supposed to even better than the first?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Brace posted:

gently caress this out already? What's the goon census? I never played Demon Souls because I only have a 360, but wasn't this supposed to even better than the first?
This is 300+ pages of people complaining about how much this game sucks rear end

Lizard Wizard
Dec 25, 2004

mep, mep

Just got this today. What am I supposed to do about the dragon that keeps breathing fire down the path right after the Taurus Demon?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

andrew smash posted:

"If you give a man a fish, that man knows where to go for fish. If you teach a man to fish, you just ruined your loving business."

If I was the only person in the world able to cure curses at a relatively cheap cost I would loving never give away the secret. Poor old fool. I bought his spell and killed him.

Helen Skelter
Jan 7, 2004

sometimes I pee on my balls

Lipstick Apathy

Unknown_PC posted:

Yeah, you need 15 INT as others have stated. You can also negate this requirement after rescuing Logan for the 2nd time in Duke's Archive.

Thanks for the info, everyone. My INT is at 14, guess I'm gonna grind a level out real quick.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I tell you the truth: one of you chumps will betray me

doctor 7 posted:

This is 300+ pages of people complaining about how much this game sucks rear end

This game will give you stockholm syndrome. I have a lot of thoughts on it but I did spend like every free minute I had since I bought it finishing it.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon

Nap Ghost

Brace posted:

It's amazing, will destroy you in ways you cannot even conceive of

Bobnumerotres posted:

"If you give a man a fish, that man knows where to go for fish. If you teach a man to fish, you just ruined your loving business."

If I was the only person in the world able to cure curses at a relatively cheap cost I would loving never give away the secret. Poor old fool. I bought his spell and killed him.

Joke's on you, that spell is bugged at the moment and won't break curses.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

gravyflood posted:

Just got this today. What am I supposed to do about the dragon that keeps breathing fire down the path right after the Taurus Demon?
Book it to the middle of the bridge and there's a staircase down on the right. Once you're in there you're directly over the Undead Burg bonfire and you can open up a shortcut to where you are.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Nechronic posted:

Man I finally started a playthrough with the Old Witch's Ring so I could understand the Daughter of Chaos and her lines are depressing.

She is apparently blind. She keeps referring to you as Quelagg, or "my dear sister" and talks about how she's constantly in pain.

Yeah, the whole Daughter of Chaos thing is pretty sad and messed up. The reason why she's constantly in pain - and why everyone is infested with demon eggs - is because when she underwent the transformation from witch to spider-lady, she became overburdened with eggs which took a heavy toll. If you look closely, you can see the decrepit, still-moving mess that is her spider-half underneath the eggs and webbing. Being overburdened with eggs is also the reason why each of her servants has them growing out of their backs and why you get an egg once you make a covenant with her. When you think about it, they serve her by shouldering some of her burden which is kind of sweet in an incredibly hosed-up, Geiger-esque way.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

gravyflood posted:

Run fast, shield up and keep to the right. Get down the stairs as soon as you can.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Ugh. I can't take this.

Had to set the game down for the first time. This part...I got so close...so...SO loving close. It was like attempt 7...I'm starting to run out of arrows, and my weapon is about to break.

This is the real Dark Souls.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

RentCavalier posted:

Ugh. I can't take this.

Had to set the game down for the first time. This part...I got so close...so...SO loving close. It was like attempt 7...I'm starting to run out of arrows, and my weapon is about to break.

This is the real Dark Souls.

Please don't tell me you're at the taurus demon because you may need to return the game.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Bobnumerotres posted:

Please don't tell me you're at the taurus demon because you may need to return the game.

No, read my earlier posts. I'm in Anor Londo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

andrew smash posted:

I guess that's a whole lot more of the game I have to do first.
I spent all day getting good at killing ghosts and clearing that place out, its disappointing to leave it alone right there.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Well that was kind of anticlimactic. I killed Gwyn with only two casts of Crystal Homing Soulmass.

Pure caster kind of owns a little too hard tbh and kind of removes the challenge from the second two thirds of the game.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Just died due to lovely geometry in Blighttown. I was almost out of that shithole. Why would they make a path where if you deviate by a pixel you fall off the side?

edit: died again due to waterwheel, I didn't want those 20k souls anyway.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at Oct 14, 2011 around 03:32

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

RentCavalier posted:

No, read my earlier posts. I'm in Anor Londo.

You may need to return the game

Seriously though if you're on the boss, don't feel bad, that is pretty much the hardest boss in the game minus possibly the four kings. The true dark souls does indeed start there.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

do divine weapons even gently caress up lito's skeletons?

LemonRind
Apr 25, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Seriously though if you're on the boss, don't feel bad, that is pretty much the hardest boss in the game minus possibly the four kings. The true dark souls does indeed start there.

I'm assuming he's on the part with The 2 silver knights shooting loving lances at you while you try and go up small walkways with fall deaths. The way they are set up is that if you try and go for one unless you get really close they'll both have angles to shoot you resulting in getting hit in the back and dying horribly when you get hit again when you get up. gently caress that part, seriously.

Krinkle posted:

do divine weapons even gently caress up lito's skeletons?

yes

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

The first I took the water wheel I was like "haha you idiots, how do you die here?" The second time...I'll let you guess what happened.

edit: Third time too!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jetpack Postman posted:

Yeah, the whole Daughter of Chaos thing is pretty sad and messed up. The reason why she's constantly in pain - and why everyone is infested with demon eggs - is because when she underwent the transformation from witch to spider-lady, she became overburdened with eggs which took a heavy toll. If you look closely, you can see the decrepit, still-moving mess that is her spider-half underneath the eggs and webbing. Being overburdened with eggs is also the reason why each of her servants has them growing out of their backs and why you get an egg once you make a covenant with her. When you think about it, they serve her by shouldering some of her burden which is kind of sweet in an incredibly hosed-up, Geiger-esque way.

One thing I liked about Dark Souls, and about Demon's Souls as well, is those nice creepy Lovecraftian/Geiger-esque touches that make the world more interesting than just a standard fantasy affair. I'm nearing the end of the game now and poo poo just gets REALLY weird The whole seed of chaos thing in Lost Izalith, holy poo poo.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

The S&O boss of Anor Londo is crazy loving poo poo. I was level 57, had two phantoms, and we just barely squeaked through it. At one point, I had to haul rear end across the room and clumsily fumble through menus trying to finding humanity or anything that would restore my health. How in the world would anyone be able to do that fight single-handed?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.

Unlockable Ben

Awesome, I just betrayed the Forest covenant/had one of them fall off a loving cliff like right after I joined. No fog ring for me I guess! This is the worst glitch I've seen so far, and really wish they'd get around to patching it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One thing I liked about Dark Souls, and about Demon's Souls as well, is those nice creepy Lovecraftian/Geiger-ish touches that make the world more interesting than just a standard fantasy affair. I'm nearing the end of the game now and poo poo just gets REALLY weird The whole seed of chaos thing in Lost Izalith, holy poo poo.

I said this in the video game music thread but Ash Lake made me feel like I walked into some old legend.

Even after getting eaten by clams.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Almost Smart posted:

The S&O boss of Anor Londo is crazy loving poo poo. I was level 57, had two phantoms, and we just barely squeaked through it. At one point, I had to haul rear end across the room and clumsily fumble through menus trying to finding humanity or anything that would restore my health. How in the world would anyone be able to do that fight single-handed?

I nearly did it on my first try by just waiting for the quick one (I forget who is who) to run ahead of his slower buddy and nailing him a few times after blocking an attack, so on and so on until he finally went down. Once it's down to one guy it's a lot simpler - I ended up getting killed by the big AoE lightning attack they get in the second phase (being my first try I didn't know they had it), but I could see myself being able to solo it if I had the patience.

It's MUCH easier with at least one phantom helping you out though, since you can split them up and deal damage to one without having to worry about getting jumped by the other one.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

The blue eye orb only works in the darkmoon room? What kind of idea is this?

Never mind, I'm an idiot.

Monolith. fucked around with this message at Oct 14, 2011 around 03:56

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Bobnumerotres posted:

boss info the four kings seem pretty easy honestly (if you have done anor londo), i beat them second try by throwing on all of havel's armor and just going to town with a lightning spear

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk! Clunk!

It' amazing to me how few people realize you have to heal phantoms. Even at Sens fortress it's like 10% have figured that out.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

It' amazing to me how few people realize you have to heal phantoms. Even at Sens fortress it's like 10% have figured that out.

To be fair, there's nothing in-game that actually tells you that using your Estus flask will also heal any summoned phantoms a little bit. Most people may not even realize they CAN heal phantoms.

RBA Starblade posted:

I said this in the video game music thread but Ash Lake made me feel like I walked into some old legend.

Even after getting eaten by clams.

That area is cool, but I couldn't help thinking "Wasn't I UNDERGROUND? How exactly does this all even fit in here!" Though I suppose by the time you get there you ARE pretty deep underground.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at Oct 14, 2011 around 03:53

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup

I'm sure this has been asked, so sorry about that, but if I joined the Forest Covenant, can I go re-join the Way of White and get the soul farming loop back until I re-join the Foresters?

• Locked thread
«2322 »