Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Filthy Monkey posted:

Nope. +5 is the max for lightning.
Yeah I meant plus five, my bad. It comes from a +10 weapon and uses exactly the same mats so they're not too hard to make if you use the Stray Demon Slab for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer
Allright, what level are people doing orenstein and smough? Solaire is my only summoning mark and this fight is rough.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alright, it's been two hours, I give up. What's the gimmick to actually hurting Smough?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Filthy Hans posted:

I'm still wearing my Wanderer Armor, and I've made it to the blacksmith in the Undead Parish. Is it a waste to upgrade that armor with titanite shards?

Most likely, but titanite shards are unlimited in supply (he sells them for 800 souls a piece), so don't feel too bad if you want to slap a few plusses on there until you find something you like better. Just don't go past +5 since you'll start using up rarer/more expensive stuff at that point.

RBA Starblade posted:

Alright, it's been two hours, I give up. What's the gimmick to actually hurting Smough?

He's weak as poo poo to lightning damage. Oddly enough even after getting the lightning powerup from killing Orenstein.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

RBA Starblade posted:

stab him with the lightning spear from sen's fortress? I don't know if that changes after you kill ornstein, cause i killed smough first.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

RBA Starblade posted:

Make sure you aren't hitting his hammer, it blocks all damage

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

DuffMayhem posted:

So after beating Quelaag am I seriously supposed to backtrack through Blighttown to get back to the surface?!? My only other option seems to go through the Demon Ruins and I'm not sure if I want to go there yet. The Ceaseless Disharge seems like a pain in the rear end.

The waterwheel thing on your left as you approach Quelaag's mound from the swamp floor bonfire will take you up to some platforms. Keep climbing the ladders (look for the torches if you can't see the next ladder) and when you reach the top you'll find a chest with a key. Take that, then head through the tunnel you can see over in the direction of Quelaag's lair. There are 3 dung golems in there. On the other side, cross the little bridge and use the key you just found to open up a shortcut to New Londo Ruins.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

andrew smash posted:

stab him with the lightning spear from sen's fortress? I don't know if that changes after you kill ornstein, cause i killed smough first.

I don't have one.

quote:

I don't know if that changes after you kill ornstein, cause i killed smough first.

I can't hurt him enough to kill him before killing Ornstein, and he's literally invincible to everything I do including the crystal ring shield from all angles when charged up. gently caress this boss and gently caress Anor Londo.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
This game makes time melt. I've been sitting in front of it for 5 loving hours and I had no idea.

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't have one.

Go to the opposite side of the cathedral as the fog gate. There is a lever in one of the corners that opens the cathedral doors. Open it, then go back and get the lightning spear and upgrade it as much as you can. Smough is weak to lightning.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
This is crap. Killing 7 of these idiots at the bottom of New Londo Ruins each run to try and get some Titanite Chunks and on the past three runs I've had gently caress all. That's with my Item Discovery at 300. When it was at 100 I was getting 1 or 2 every run. What's the loving deal. I need 8 of the things too.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't have one.
Well there is your next goal them. Go back to sen's fortress, go down the death lift, kill the mimic, and acquire lightning spear. That, or use the Anor Londo smith to make your own lightning weapon of choice. I am a claymore man, personally. Easy to get the stats to wield it, and a good versatile move set.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
poo poo, I love where I'm at. The Painted World.

I totally ruined Jeremiah. :c00lbert: He ran around like a jackass summoning firestorms and flailing his whip in random directions while I rained hell down on him with my +3 lightning iaito.

Then I met the iron knight on the lower bridge and promptly shrieked like a girl while he cut through my block and 5/6s of my health. :gibs:

I already white phantomed for a guy today though, we took out the boss for the area (and got the break-off) with no real problem. I guess next time I have time to spare I'll do it again, because that's probably going to be a lot easier than recovering my souls and 1 humanity from underneath Sir Assblaster.

e: Also, earlier someone was saying Wanderer Armour, when taken to +9 or so, is very competitive even with gold-hemmed black in terms of raw defenses. If you like the look, take it to +3 or so since you're just at the smith and large shards are going to be kinda rare for a bit.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

Filthy Hans posted:

I'm still wearing my Wanderer Armor, and I've made it to the blacksmith in the Undead Parish. Is it a waste to upgrade that armor with titanite shards?

It's just me but I'd think you'd be better off upgrading your shield or weapon if you have to pick between that or armor.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

doomfunk posted:

poo poo, I love where I'm at. The Painted World.

I totally ruined Jeremiah. :c00lbert: He ran around like a jackass summoning firestorms and flailing his whip in random directions while I rained hell down on him with my +3 lightning iaito.

Then I met the iron knight on the lower bridge and promptly shrieked like a girl while he cut through my block and 5/6s of my health. :gibs:

I already white phantomed for a guy today though, we took out the boss for the area (and got the break-off) with no real problem. I guess next time I have time to spare I'll do it again, because that's probably going to be a lot easier than recovering my souls and 1 humanity from underneath Sir Assblaster.

He's not really that hard. You've got enough room to circle around him and he's slow as hell, so although you can't backstab him, you can still smack him in the butt until he dies pretty easily.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
I just killed the boss in blighttown before the second bell. Is there a shortcut back to firelink/the surface anywhere? I've found the path to valley of drakes, but I haven't explored anywhere there yet. I really want to buy some stuff with these 30k souls I got before I lose them and get angry(like I've already have done once in blighttown.)

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I think I just panicked because he sheared through my block like nothing. Not even the giant guards outside the area hit that hard, nor do the mace guys of his same type. Time to lighten my gear and get flippy, I guess!

Macksy posted:

I just killed the boss in blighttown before the second bell. Is there a shortcut back to firelink/the surface anywhere? I've found the path to valley of drakes, but I haven't explored anywhere there yet. I really want to buy some stuff with these 30k souls I got before I lose them and get angry(like I've already have done once in blighttown.)

There's a waterwheel elevator that leads up to the Valley of the Drakes, then New Londo, then the elevator to Firelink. It's almost a direct route, each area jump is very brief. Just take your time, don't get hasty, and be ready for three poo-crusted barbarians.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I've pretty much been going through Blighttown as fast as possible because I hate it, is there anything worth picking up in there after I've killed the boss?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Filthy Monkey posted:

Well there is your next goal them. Go back to sen's fortress, go down the death lift, kill the mimic, and acquire lightning spear. That, or use the Anor Londo smith to make your own lightning weapon of choice. I am a claymore man, personally. Easy to get the stats to wield it, and a good versatile move set.

I guess I might as well, I can't do a single loving thing about any of this, my gravelord sword barely dents them, the crystal ring shield hurts them but only when it feels like aiming in their direction, and meanwhile the lock on glitches out and aims me at a window, my estus flasks won't actually heal me, Smough is invincible to everything regardless, and Ornstein just randomly one shots me through everything I do even though he's stuck on a pillar and not actually attacking me. And then it's another five minute walk back up to try again! At least I can waste a humanity to look for a phanto-oh what's that? No one? At all? Ever? Oh good.

e: Oh yes, and Ornstein can clip through Smough to kill me. Can't forget that!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 15, 2011

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Macksy posted:

Do you have one of those things that teleport you to the bonfire? They're called something like "Wayward bone", I'm not sure.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Macksy posted:

If you go into the valley of the drakes you can just cross the bridge there and go straight up into New Londo, and you'll be right next to the elevator up to Firelink. There's absolutely nothing that will attack you if you've already made it to the Valley of the Drakes (if you actually see a dragon, you're going in the wrong direction).

Note that there are three of the big guys with clubs guarding the path there. I'm assuming you've already made it past them but you'll want to be wary of that if you haven't. You can pull them out one by one, but the latter two are near each other so you'll want to do it with a ranged weapon.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Where does Rhea go when you rescue her? I can't find her near Firelink and Lautrec is also not home.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Is upgrading the Zweihander to +5 and beyond a decent Drake Sword replacement plan?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
gently caress those Anor Londo snipers! :negative:

I honestly have no idea how to get by them...I've tried going really light and just running fast enough so I get out of the range of the one behind me...nope.

Tried going heavy and put on all stone armor...nope.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DrBouvenstein posted:

I honestly have no idea how to get by them...I've tried going really light and just running fast enough so I get out of the range of the one behind me...nope.

Run up to their face, block, and hope they don't wear your stamina down before they fall off a cliff.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

LukeyBoy posted:

Is upgrading the Zweihander to +5 and beyond a decent Drake Sword replacement plan?

Not really, unless you like how it handles - the Zweihander is an "Ultra Greatsword", which hit hard but are slow as hell. If you like big fuckoff swords but want one a bit quicker, the Claymore is a standard greatsword which is still slower than say, a straight sword like the Drake Sword, but still viable to use one-handed assuming you've got the strength.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Noxville posted:

I've pretty much been going through Blighttown as fast as possible because I hate it, is there anything worth picking up in there after I've killed the boss?

There's a bitchin' ringwraith costume deep in Fire Hell Pit Hole that you may have to eat a death for unless you're super-prepared for what happens when you take it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DrBouvenstein posted:

Run up and roll, those arrows knock you off no matter what. Even with a great shield!

I had one snipe me near the lower gargoyle pit right before them, I just laughed cause that must have been a bug.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

RBA Starblade posted:

My pyromancer does like 500 per hit with my fire.

Felk
Jun 25, 2011

Leyburn posted:

This is crap. Killing 7 of these idiots at the bottom of New Londo Ruins each run to try and get some Titanite Chunks and on the past three runs I've had gently caress all. That's with my Item Discovery at 300. When it was at 100 I was getting 1 or 2 every run. What's the loving deal. I need 8 of the things too.

Do you have access to the final area of the game? Because that place is hands down the best area to gets chunks of any type. As in, I think chunks are a 100% drop from the dudes there.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

doomfunk posted:

There's a bitchin' ringwraith costume deep in Fire Hell Pit Hole that you may have to eat a death for unless you're super-prepared for what happens when you take it.

It's not just good for looks either! It's got a really good physical defense to weight ratio, and has some downright spectacular fire and magic defense on it. The downside is you can't upgrade it at all :(

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

What boss should I be putting my summon sign down in front of around slvl 37 or so? I felt like Anor Londo was a little too hard for me so I'm trying to do some other stuff/lower the faith requirement for Warriors of Sunlight. I tried the Iron Golem yesterday and nobody summoned me at all.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

To get the Pyro Flame above +15, do you need to have the required number of souls on hand to get the upgrade to show up? I found the witch in the swamp but she only offers spells, no upgrades.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So what is up with giant swords in this game? I remember in Demons Souls they were pretty viable but it seems in Dark Souls that they are slow as gently caress for how fast these enemies are. I had a black leather roller with the healing shield and the butchers sword in DeS, able to take anyone.

2 handing them leaves on so open as well since enemies are so much more aggressive. I am sick of using this loving lightning spear but if I switch to the giant sword I am ripped apart by the giant groups.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

The Wise Teen posted:

To get the Pyro Flame above +15, do you need to have the required number of souls on hand to get the upgrade to show up? I found the witch in the swamp but she only offers spells, no upgrades.

It's not a normal upgrade. Go to the tab where you normally return weapons to their regular state. It'll go from +15 back to nothing but it'll have upgraded stats anyway, and then you can upgrade it to +5 again before it caps out.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
So... how did you kill that drat lizard in the Basin? I've gotten naked, shot arrows, even praised the sun!

Nothing!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

invalid posted:

So... how did you kill that drat lizard in the Basin? I've gotten naked, shot arrows, even praised the sun!

Nothing!

The giant hydra? Run up to the shore and it will begin to smash it's heads into the mud. Dodge those and kill it.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

DO IT TO IT posted:

What boss should I be putting my summon sign down in front of around slvl 37 or so? I felt like Anor Londo was a little too hard for me so I'm trying to do some other stuff/lower the faith requirement for Warriors of Sunlight. I tried the Iron Golem yesterday and nobody summoned me at all.
Your best bet is Queelag at that level. You should be able to get some bites.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Not really, unless you like how it handles - the Zweihander is an "Ultra Greatsword", which hit hard but are slow as hell. If you like big fuckoff swords but want one a bit quicker, the Claymore is a standard greatsword which is still slower than say, a straight sword like the Drake Sword, but still viable to use one-handed assuming you've got the strength.
I agree with this. The claymore is basically the longsword's big brother. It is a nice general purpose sword. Easy to transition to from the drake blade too, since it requires the same stats.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Man I must have gotten really lucky at this part, ran through two times and the archer dudes never hit me. I was wearing stone armor and all, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yes. Japanese games always have S as the top rank.

Speaking of which, what weapons actually scale A or S with a stat? Aside from catalysts I haven't seen anything above a B.

Working off things I've seen or have in my character's inventory...

Good str scaling
Club (A)
Demon Greataxe(A)
Demon Great machete (B)
Demon Great hammer (B)
Dragon Bone Fist (A)
Butcher's Knife (B)
Man Serpent Greatsword (B)
Great Club (B)
Grant (B)
Black Knight Greataxe (B)
Black Knight Greatsword (B)

Good Dex scaling
Short/longbow (A)
Great Scythe (B)
Grant (A) (I was wrong in my previous post now that I'm home and looking at it, whoops)
Quelaag's furysword (B)
Richard's Rapier (B)
Painting Guardian Sword (A)
Scimitar (B)
Any Knife (B)
Any Katana (B)
Whip/Notched Whip (B)

Good Int scaling
Any enchanted weapon (A)
Moonlight Greatsword (A)
Channeler's trident (B)
Holy Greatsword of Artorias (B)
Velka's Rapier (B)
Moonlight Butterfly spear (B)

Good Faith Scaling
Any Occult weapon (B)
Crescent Axe (B)
Holy Greatsword of Artorias (B)
Dragonslayer Spear (B)

I guess there isn't an S scaling for stats like I had originally thought. *edit: Disregard, the Black bow of Pharis has S scaling to dex.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 15, 2011

• Locked thread