Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2322 »
  • Locked thread
Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

BE ADVISED THAT I AM AN IDIOT WHO WILL OPT FOR INSULTING AND BELITTLING YOUR INTELLIGENCE INSTEAD OF ASSUMING MY LOGIC IS FLAWED IN ANY WAY, IF I DO THIS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO IGNORE ME

I'm such a pussy when it comes to this game. I go sit in a level and farm until I'm way over level before moving on.

I'm right at the point to face the Gargoyles at the top of the parish and I'm level 25 right now. On the bright side, I'm already a member of the Warriors of Gross Incandescence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Thanks for the tips fellas, lookin forward to a good couple hours when I get home from work.

Chafe posted:

I have a feeling a lot of boss fights in this game benefit pyromaniacs and melee characters.

Having beaten demon souls, I tried a dex/vit/str ranger focusing on the battle axe and just using a bow for utility and the game was stupid hard. I started a sorcerer with the master key, unlocked drakes valley shortcut, suicide ran past the drakes and into darkroot basin, ran through to undead parish and ulocked the elevator in less than 20 minutes. Bought heavy soul arrow and beat hte gargoyles at SL9 I think. Went back and did the taurus demon and killed him in under 1 minute. Game is so easy with magic.

JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010

God drat I am awful at this game. Is there anything about pyromancers that makes them particularly newbie unfriendly. I've died ~30 times at the bonfire before the the first boss in undead burg.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

BE ADVISED THAT I AM AN IDIOT WHO WILL OPT FOR INSULTING AND BELITTLING YOUR INTELLIGENCE INSTEAD OF ASSUMING MY LOGIC IS FLAWED IN ANY WAY, IF I DO THIS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO IGNORE ME

Does the game change depending on what order you tackle certain areas?

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

Regarding the firekeeper in firelink. After you've resurrected her, can you kill her again, and resurrect her again? What does she say if you do?

Irsh
Dec 23, 2010

JollyGreen posted:

God drat I am awful at this game. Is there anything about pyromancers that makes them particularly newbie unfriendly. I've died ~30 times at the bonfire before the the first boss in undead burg.

I'm still working on my first playthrough as a deprived, turned into a faith build who prefers polearms. My second character that I recently created is a pyromancer and I'm finding it infinitely easier. This could just be that, having gotten through most of the game already, I know what to expect at every turn.

Just take the game slowly and get yourself familiar with the each enemies tactics. This game takes a lot of patience, it is not meant to be rushed until you are familiar and comfortable with an area.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

JollyGreen posted:

Your shield is terrible, if you replace that or get good at evading you'll have an advantage over most other classes. Cleric is pretty newbie friendly if you want something a little easier to learn.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

JollyGreen posted:

Yeah as was stated much of the difficulty is from not knowing whats around the corner, not knowing where stuff is, and being unfamiliar with enemies attacks. Once you've explored an area and fought all the enemies in it, subsequent play throughs are a breeze. A lot of times you can just run past most enemies unless you're soul farming or need them to not be around you for whatever reason.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

!!!High Impact Sexual Posting!!!

Mordiceius posted:

No, the only zone that entirely changes depending on your actions is Anor Londo, but only when you get to the very end, and its optional / only effects that zone.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon

Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

Nein.

I find it hilarious that it took me seven hours to reach the gargoyles on my first character. I didn't even beat them Now I can roll up a guy and be there in like an hour tops with on deaths unless I do something stupid and reckless. Blighttown is also really simple once you know what you're doing; take Master Key, pop down the side entrance, grab your firekeeper soul/dragon scale/remedy, go kill boss. Also grab the rusted iron ring beforehand.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

JollyGreen posted:

I thought the hatchet's attack patterns were pretty bad, and it felt awfully slow. I first picked up a spear from one of the spearmen dudes, and then eventually a longsword. Both definitely made fights more manageable. Just realize that as a pyro, you're really not a spellcaster per se as most of your time (before you get more spells) is going to be spent in melee. Do not raise your INT at all, focus a little more on endurance so you can carry a heavier shield/wear heavier armor and still be under half encumberance.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

There's not much talk of invasions from the red (Darkwraith) side, anyone else interested in the mechanics?

I've been invading and invaded over the last few days, and after some interesting conversations I've discovered some slightly more interesting facts. On some other forums, posters speculate the red eye stone may not have an upward SL limit when invading. In other words, an invader may invade anyone with a higher SL, not just within a certain range.

My own experiences corroborates this. The red eye stone seems work outside of the generally accepted level restrictions. I was invaded multiple times by the same player; I am SL 25, he said he was SL 10. That is more than a 10 SL gap (and greater than 10% or 10+10%).

One of my victims sent a message asking about my level in comparison to his SL 70. In the Painted World, I fought mages with 5 orb Homing Soul Mass, which insinuates a level higher than 25. I have also invaded multiple people with absurdly high armor & health who admitted to using the dragon head glitch to max out many of their attributes.

I have been sitting at DarkWraith+2 the entire time I've been invading, don't know if it matters.

So does anyone else have any experience with the red eye stone and could comment on it? I mean, I love a challenge but some of the fights the game chooses seem damned near unwinnable.

On another note, it seems like nobody ever picks up my white sign anymore since I joined the covenant. On the other hand, it might be my impatience - I get bored waiting after 5 minutes, use the red eye orb, and invade someone in less than a minute most of the time.

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at Oct 20, 2011 around 13:24

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

Anor Lando is the most tedious, repetitive, and annoying area in the whole game. Hallway » Knight » Knight » Hallway » Knight » Knight...

Also, I'm pissed because I had to kill the Onion-headed knight. He turned against me after getting hit by a silver knight. God dammit From Software, if Ostrava could attack enemies in Demon's Souls, why do the NPCs here stand shock-still around enemies?

edit:
It really is kind of unforgivable, because in Demon's Souls the npcs are either in the nexus or safe areas. If you feel the need to cripple the NPC ai in this game, then don't put them right next to a bunch of silver knights!

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at Oct 20, 2011 around 13:32

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Regarding Siegmeyer, I am incredibly bummed that apparently I -did- successfully finish his entire storyline with his daughter. I thought I hosed up somehow despite having him survive in Lost Izalith but it turns out that yes--the 'proper' ending for he and his daughter is that he ultimately turns hollow on his last grand adventure and his daughter has to put him down. She gives you a titanite slab, thanks you and then stands there sobbing over his body. That blows.

Still putzing around without beating it; I'll have to amble over and take out Gwyndolyn finally since I suppose she has it coming. I am debating spending six levels to get my int to where Big Hat will sell me his poo poo so I can just grab all his high-level stuff now rather than have to deal with his whole sequence again in NG+.

RADmadness
Feb 16, 2011

Sniper Crossbow...

It has a range of 70, but lock on range is <40. Either there is a crossbow zoom function like with bows, or it's one of the most most redundant wepaons around. How do I make use of this weapon?

Help me out here, because I actually like the bows in this game. They do lovely damage at first but upgrade amazingly well and my +5 raw longbow hits for ~140 against knights in Anor Londo from a safe distance.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I hosed myself over by killing the boulder-loading giant in Sen's before breaking through the wall, didn't I? poo poo.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup

Akuma posted:

I hosed myself over by killing the boulder-loading giant in Sen's before breaking through the wall, didn't I? poo poo.

He comes back every time.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Akuma posted:

Just go to a bonfire and he respawns.

Irsh
Dec 23, 2010

GaistHeidegger posted:

Regarding Siegmeyer, I am incredibly bummed that apparently I -did- successfully finish his entire storyline with his daughter. I thought I hosed up somehow despite having him survive in Lost Izalith but it turns out that yes--the 'proper' ending for he and his daughter is that he ultimately turns hollow on his last grand adventure and his daughter has to put him down. She gives you a titanite slab, thanks you and then stands there sobbing over his body. That blows.

Still putzing around without beating it; I'll have to amble over and take out Gwyndolyn finally since I suppose she has it coming. I am debating spending six levels to get my int to where Big Hat will sell me his poo poo so I can just grab all his high-level stuff now rather than have to deal with his whole sequence again in NG+.

I've heard if he survives with a large amount of hp after the Lost Izalith fight, he will survive his last journey and reunites with his daughter for a happy ending. I can't confirm this, since he was also dead on arrival for me. Anybody know facts?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

GaistHeidegger posted:

Dark Souls! Nobody gets to be happy!

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

JollyGreen posted:

I started as a pyromancer but as soon as I realized that they've changed the magic and there's no way to replenish the spells without respawning the enemies, I restarted and went with melee. I went with deprived, the wooden shield and club are just fine until you get better stuff - Estoc from below, Zweihander via a suicide run from the graveyard, then a Black Knight Sword from a black knight (two-handed R2 from Zweihander repeatedly flattens the knight, easy as hell - the sword drop is random though). The Black Knight Sword really kicks rear end, after a couple of upgrades it'll kill Havel in around 10 hits, for example.

Which brings me to my question... As soon as I get back from Blighttown, I'd like to upgrade some other weapon to eventually supercede the Black Knight Sword. What would be a good option? The Claymore has the exact same R1 swing, which is not very fast but still fast enough for handling almost anything. The Claymore's R2 attack is a thrust and seems more usable than the Black Knight Sword's mostly comedic R2 attack (ridiculously long windup and then a thrust that can propel the enemy backwards like he was shot with a cannon). The Blueblood Sword was my bread and butter for most of Demons', and I'd like to get something similar. Is there something better than a Claymore for this purpose?

RADmadness
Feb 16, 2011

The black knight greataxe is something amazing. All it's moves flow really well, it is fast and does crazy damage. The scythe, not great scythe, has a really nice attack pattern too but does less than half the damage of the black knight greataxe so it needs plenty of upgrades. Both are found in the catacombs.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand

Best place to acquire Titanite CHUNKS anyone? And, um to a lesser extent, slabs?

Pickled Kittens posted:

There's not much talk of invasions from the red (Darkwraith) side, anyone else interested in the mechanics?

I've been invading and invaded over the last few days, and after some interesting conversations I've discovered some slightly more interesting facts. On some other forums, posters speculate the red eye stone may not have an upward SL limit when invading. In other words, an invader may invade anyone with a higher SL, not just within a certain range.

My own experiences corroborates this. The red eye stone seems work outside of the generally accepted level restrictions. I was invaded multiple times by the same player; I am SL 25, he said he was SL 10. That is more than a 10 SL gap (and greater than 10% or 10+10%).

One of my victims sent a message asking about my level in comparison to his SL 70. In the Painted World, I fought mages with 5 orb Homing Soul Mass, which insinuates a level higher than 25. I have also invaded multiple people with absurdly high armor & health who admitted to using the dragon head glitch to max out many of their attributes.

I have been sitting at DarkWraith+2 the entire time I've been invading, don't know if it matters.

So does anyone else have any experience with the red eye stone and could comment on it? I mean, I love a challenge but some of the fights the game chooses seem damned near unwinnable.

On another note, it seems like nobody ever picks up my white sign anymore since I joined the covenant. On the other hand, it might be my impatience - I get bored waiting after 5 minutes, use the red eye orb, and invade someone in less than a minute most of the time.

Hi, Darkwraith buddy! I have noticed the same thing regarding level, but considering we don't lose our humanity, unhollowedness, or souls I'm OK with being mismatched to higher SL players. BTW, has there been any talk about not losing our poo poo as being a bug or is it an intended perk?

ColdCock fucked around with this message at Oct 20, 2011 around 14:08

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I think I just got summoned by a play in a NG+ even though this character is only level 17? Capra Demon went down in about 10 seconds and I got 3000 souls for it, which is way more than I did the last time I was summoned for him. Weird.

Lordpen
Jul 14, 2004

ColdCock posted:

Best place to acquire Titanite CHUNKS anyone? And, um to a lesser extent, slabs?

Slabs i dunno, but once you get to the endgame area Kiln of the first flame there are a bunch of respawning enemies that guarantee a chunk drop every time you kill them.

I've heard you can get slabs from the tougher enemies in New Londo, but it has to be very rare. They do drop chunks every now and then though if you need them now and not at the very end.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Pre-endgame, you can farm chunks from the two giants in the hall just outside Gywnevere's chamber. This is the earliest relatively-fast farm spot I know of for chunks. Later, chunks will drop from respawning black knights, so you can really go hog wild!

Slabs, the Darkwraiths in New Londo can drop. They can also drop chunks.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Irsh posted:

I've heard if he survives with a large amount of hp after the Lost Izalith fight, he will survive his last journey and reunites with his daughter for a happy ending. I can't confirm this, since he was also dead on arrival for me. Anybody know facts?

I confirmed that I didn't gently caress up via the guide, as it re-affirms the final end to the storyline being the daughter giving you a titanite slab. I literally killed three of the four chaos eaters and then took the remaining one to 1/4th health before talking to Siegmeyer--and you know you've hosed up if he dies afterward; if you did it right, he chats a bit then takes a nap, which is exactly what happened for me. He had at least 75% health left when we were done.

You can't just preemptively kill all four and talk to him, because then he just hands you his ring and the story ends prematurely. I don't see any other possibilities here.

Regarding slabs, apart from Titanite Slab, the rest are exceedingly rare and in several cases only one can be acquired naturally in a given playthrough. It is rumored that the butterflies in the crystal cave can drop additional blue titanite slabs, but it seems extremely unlikely to me; the guide doesn't list it as a drop from them, and even if they -did- drop them it would be so rare and so nightmarish given the composition of the area that you would have an almost impossible time actually collecting the drop. Same deal with the white slab and the pinwheels--they aren't actually listed as a drop, so the guide says only one white titanite slab in the game.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at Oct 20, 2011 around 14:15

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Irsh posted:

You're only supposed to talk to the daughter twice (first after rescuing her, second at Firelink) both times saying that "yes" you saw her father. Then when you find mister onion knight you have to talk to him and let him help you out in that one fight, and he has to survive with 50%+ hp. He takes a nap, you talk to the daughter again I think, and you meet them both at Ash Lake.

I think the issue is that if you talk to the daughter too many times she says something like, "If he goes hollow I'll have to kill him" and that messes up the event line.

Anyway, I've started the Tomb of Giants and those weird dog-like skeletons are ridiculously annoying. Almost no real recovery on their attacks, if they spam that rushdown you're pretty much screwed, and you have no room to fight them. After dying like 15 times to them while finding my way through the area, I decided to try out the Crystal Ring Shield. It freakin' one-shots them every time. Jeez, why didn't I think of that earlier?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

RADmadness posted:

The black knight greataxe is something amazing. All it's moves flow really well, it is fast and does crazy damage. The scythe, not great scythe, has a really nice attack pattern too but does less than half the damage of the black knight greataxe so it needs plenty of upgrades. Both are found in the catacombs.

Great Scythe is from catacombs, the regular "Scythe" which I think is actually a Bardiche is in Sen's.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

In one of the boulder hallways of Sen's Fortress, there's a stack of several boulders with a ladder leading down beside them. It looks like there isn't anything down there, but I have the feeling that if the boulders were to not be there, you'd find some kind of secret. Any validity to this?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

!!!High Impact Sexual Posting!!!

Dirty Job posted:

In one of the boulder hallways of Sen's Fortress, there's a stack of several boulders with a ladder leading down beside them. It looks like there isn't anything down there, but I have the feeling that if the boulders were to not be there, you'd find some kind of secret. Any validity to this?

I managed to get down there without the boulders once expecting something but it seems to just be an another bottomless pit for things to roll down. (Expect it fills up to smash the wall behind it) I didn't jump down though, I think the secret is just smashing the wall which happens naturally if you don't move the contraption too early.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Hamburger Test posted:

Great Scythe is from catacombs, the regular "Scythe" which I think is actually a Bardiche is in Sen's.

Does the Great Scythe attack like the regular Scythe? Polearms in this game seem to have the worst attack animations ever. Like, when using the Lifehunt Scythe, why would I want to slam my scythe straight down into the ground??? Why can't I sweep it sideways!?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

ColdCock posted:

Hi, Darkwraith buddy! I have noticed the same thing regarding level, but considering we don't lose our humanity, unhollowedness, or souls I'm OK with being mismatched to higher SL players. BTW, has there been any talk about not losing our poo poo as being a bug or is it an intended perk?

I get the impression it is as intended, seeing as how you still have to recover your bloodstain. I think people who kill the Darkwraith get a copy of your soul amount and a humanity (not sure about the humanity).

For anyone looking to cause serious grief though, go for the Darkwraith Gauntlet humanity steal. At Darkwraith+2 I steal up to 5 humanity per hit. It is fantastic if people leave themselves wide open - even if I die, I win becuase I leave with 5 humanity, they lose 5 humanity.

E: Darkwraith is an amazing covenant for someone like me who finds it easier to kill people than most of the bosses. I can annoy the poo poo out of some people, take their souls, and kindle my bonfires up to 20 estus!

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at Oct 20, 2011 around 14:40

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

Eddain posted:

Does the Great Scythe attack like the regular Scythe? Polearms in this game seem to have the worst attack animations ever. Like, when using the Lifehunt Scythe, why would I want to slam my scythe straight down into the ground??? Why can't I sweep it sideways!?

Polearms are actually awesome, you get a linear attack and then a big sweep attack if you follow through, and a big room-clearer as your heavy attack. You're just seeing the first move in the sequence.

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor

It would make my decade if the commercial success of Dark Souls inspires FROM to do a re-release of Demon's Souls on the 360.

I read about it back when it first came out and seriously considered getting a PS3 just to be able to play it, but I could not justify buying yet another console.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Lunixnerd posted:

It would make my decade if the commercial success of Dark Souls inspires FROM to do a re-release of Demon's Souls on the 360.

I read about it back when it first came out and seriously considered getting a PS3 just to be able to play it, but I could not justify buying yet another console.

I don't see this happening. There's just no money in re-releasing a niche game. Just wait for the PS4 or whatever to come out, it's bound to be backwards compatible.

Honestly though I think dark souls is a much, much better game. I don't know if I'll be able to go back to demon's souls after playing it.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Eddain posted:

I haven't made the Lifehunt Scythe yet, but I believe it's the same design as Great Scythe and probably the same pattern. Light attack for the Great Scythe is just the overhand chop continually, but the range and speed is pretty amazing - especially when one handed, which is odd. Heavy attack is an amazing room clearer as Ixjuvin says, provided you can get it off.

The best part is actually the sprinting attack, 10/10 in style.

The Scythe (Bardiche) has a sweep as the second attack in the chain, which can work pretty well.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

25. It was during prime time though. Over about three hours, I got summoned roughly 12 or so times. The problem was half the people that summoned me didn't know what they were doing and would just run in and get themselves killed before I could save them.

You'd think that by the time you reach the gargoyles you know the most important rule to remember for survival in this game is "Shield up, stay back, observe" but I've white phantomed them so many times, and so many times players just LOVE going in there and slicing the tail until they run out of stamina/get hit/get caught between the two of them.

People are so loving bad at this game and then they call it unfair. The only not-fun part of the gargoyles was being roasted by the flamethrower.

Muninn
Dec 29, 2008

Okay, I love this game, but it really needs to stop stacking inputs while not giving you the ability to cancel attacks by e.g. rolling out. It's not like you'd be unable to stop swinging a sword in real life (except maybe the really really huge ones).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW

Woo hoo! Managed to pull off 4 kings around SL 30-ish, then joined the dark wraiths. It's cool to be part of the good guys now.

• Locked thread
«2322 »