Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2322 »
  • Locked thread
invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Utnayan posted:

I bought mine at Gamestop, and also didn't preorder my game.

Same. My Amazon preorder still said was expected to be here by today but haven't even left their HUB as of noon. I cancled and walked into Gamestop no problem.

I'm sorry, but gently caress Amazon for new games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Krinkle posted:

does this game do that thing from DeS where you constantly have to press select to see if you fell offline or not?
Huh? As far as I know, in Demon's if you are playing online and get knocked offline, it craps out entirely and sends you back to the title screen.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh? As far as I know, in Demon's if you are playing online and get knocked offline, it craps out entirely and sends you back to the title screen.

Yes, and it does it immediately.

swordfish duelist
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Yes, and it does it immediately.

Not always, I have an issue with Demon's that after about an hour of playing it'll kick me offline, but I'll still be in game.

I only notice because all the blood stains and messages just disappear.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

Samurai Sanders posted:

In the US version at least this never happened for me, I'd just notice after a while that there no phantoms running around or messages.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dumb newbie question about tutorial: I'm at the spot where you can traverese the white light and come out above the abyss dragon dude, right next to the "RB while falling for plunge attack" message, but I can't figure out how to perform it on the guy.. Is this just a trick to make me die a bunch? I can't figure out how to jump out and plunge onto him, and suspect I couldn't kill him with it anyway..

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Is there a bonfire right before the gargoyle boss? I've been running around and haven't found one. I'd hate to keep spawning at Firelink as my closest bonfire.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob.

I'm having trouble with the twin gargoyles. I can almost scrape by by fighting aggressively with a lightning-enhanced spear, but... now I'm out of gold resin and I'm not sure where/how to get more, and I can't do any appreciable damage without it. I can hold out indefinitely against the first one, but when the second shows up I can't deal with both.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Emron posted:

Is there a bonfire right before the gargoyle boss? I've been running around and haven't found one. I'd hate to keep spawning at Firelink as my closest bonfire.
Oh yeah, you missed one. Some of them are in out of the way places...but I didn't think that one was.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup

coyo7e posted:

Dumb newbie question about tutorial: I'm at the spot where you can traverese the white light and come out above the abyss dragon dude, right next to the "RB while falling for plunge attack" message, but I can't figure out how to perform it on the guy.. Is this just a trick to make me die a bunch? I can't figure out how to jump out and plunge onto him, and suspect I couldn't kill him with it anyway..

To jump, dash and mash the dash button at the ledge; it'll make you jump before you roll. You can just step out and do the plunge attack if he's right below you. Not that it will one-shot him, but it does a lot more damage than a regular attack.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Nigulus Rex posted:

When I do that, and go to the left side, he jumps down and stands right by me, and jumps up and shoots fire over both lengths of the bridge. I tried running under him but I have literally 1 second before I get hit with fire. I tried eating one shot and then getting up and going again but he just jumped twice and shot again.

It's odd how inconsistent this dragon can be for people. The only other thing I could suggest with my method would be to run for a distance then turn and face your shield to him so you don't actually get knocked down. You'll definitely take damage but it shouldn't kill you, and then you can continue your sprint. I hope I'm not just getting you killed!

Vanguard Warden posted:

That weapon increases your resistance to those status effects. Resistance to a status effect is effectively a regenerating health bar that enemies attack. Once it's empty, you get afflicted. When you equip a weapon that increase your resistance, it adds more potential max 'health' to the bar, so it shows up briefly while it regenerates to the new max.

Interesting! I had been so nervous to actually let any of those bars completely fill, which meant having it out for about one second, trying a swipe to see its effectiveness then immediately switching back to my other right hand weapon. I feel better now.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Samurai Sanders posted:

it will lose its connection, but it won't tell me in any way. Select won't work and that's the litmus test for whether I have the ability to be summoned/summon/be invaded. I've never been kicked off I just suddenly can't leave or rate messages.

Since there's no auto-rate button in Dark Souls, as in: you have to hold the orange chalk in your hand, I'm asking if anyone else notices they aren't online or if there's a fast way to ensure you are if it's still a problem;

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh yeah, you missed one. Some of them are in out of the way places...but I didn't think that one was.

Can you clarify? I'm working on that boss right now and spawning at firelink. It doesn't jump out at you, at least.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

ireladd posted:

Interesting! I had been so nervous to actually let any of those bars completely fill, which meant having it out for about one second, trying a swipe to see its effectiveness then immediately switching back to my other right hand weapon. I feel better now.

Wait, now they -fill- to be well? In the JP version, mine would empty....

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Playing this game is a test in my ability to deal with weird targeting right now. I have died more than once to how clumsy the targeting system functions now. Probably my only complaint so far though.

( I guess maybe the weird framerates and motion blur are a lil pain, but they are minor in the end)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Krinkle posted:

it will lose its connection, but it won't tell me in any way. Select won't work and that's the litmus test for whether I have the ability to be summoned/summon/be invaded. I've never been kicked off I just suddenly can't leave or rate messages.

Since there's no auto-rate button in Dark Souls, as in: you have to hold the orange chalk in your hand, I'm asking if anyone else notices they aren't online or if there's a fast way to ensure you are if it's still a problem;
Do you have a big problem with your internet connection cutting in and out or something?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Krinkle posted:

If you disconnect, you are booted back to the main menu. This is on the 360, might not be the same on PS3 I suppose.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Funkmaster General posted:

I'm having trouble with the twin gargoyles. I can almost scrape by by fighting aggressively with a lightning-enhanced spear, but... now I'm out of gold resin and I'm not sure where/how to get more, and I can't do any appreciable damage without it. I can hold out indefinitely against the first one, but when the second shows up I can't deal with both.

If you need a helping hand make yourself human and you'll see the summoning sign of the guy who gave you the white soapstone right before the entrance of the gargoyles. He makes the battle much more manageable.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

I only died twice in the tutorial!

Nigulus Rex
Jun 13, 2006

is there any way to hold more estus flasks? I feel like my mage had 10 but my bandit can only hold 5.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do you have a big problem with your internet connection cutting in and out or something?

when I first played demon's souls a year and a half ago, maybe? When I replayed it earlier this year I didn't have nearly so many problems.all I want to know is if the game will actually notify me this time when connection to the DS server is lost

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Talran posted:

Wait, now they -fill- to be well? In the JP version, mine would empty....

Maybe it's just the way one chooses to look at the colors as to if it is filling or emptying.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nigulus Rex posted:

is there any way to hold more estus flasks? I feel like my mage had 10 but my bandit can only hold 5.
You upgrade your bonfires by feeding them humanity. At first you can only upgrade them to hold 10 flasks but eventually you can do 15 and 20. However I almost never run out of flasks if I have ten, I don't see the point of upgrading beyond that.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

J posted:

Can anyone with the futurepress guide look at the back cover and see if the side quest paragraph mentions Deus Ex: HR? I'm wondering if they were all misprinted that way.

Mine says that too, although it's not actually the back cover, just a slip of paper under the shrink wrap. The actual back cover is just solid black.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Nigulus Rex posted:

You have to use humanity to upgrade (kindle) a bonfire while you are human. That bonfire will then give you 10 flasks instead of 5 when you rest there. The bonfire in Firelink is already upgraded.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Nigulus Rex posted:

You'll need two humanity. Spend one to reverse hollowing, then spend another to kindle a bonfire. Resting at that bonfire will give you 10 flasks from then on. You can spend further humanity to add more flasks on top of that, to a cap of (I think) 20.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

What is it with RPGs and their counterparts?

I can't pick a character for the life of me. You'd think Knight vs Cleric would be of such little consiquence, but not for this man! It's like or death!

swordfish duelist
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Krinkle posted:

when I first played demon's souls a year and a half ago, maybe? When I replayed it earlier this year I didn't have nearly so many problems.all I want to know is if the game will actually notify me this time when connection to the DS server is lost

I have the same issues, and I never get booted off of the PSN when it happens, it just..stops being online.

It's strange as hell.

On the subject of Kindling: Didn't they say that kindling a flame increased the Estus count for ALL the players that rest there?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rexicon1 posted:

Playing this game is a test in my ability to deal with weird targeting right now. I have died more than once to how clumsy the targeting system functions now. Probably my only complaint so far though.

( I guess maybe the weird framerates and motion blur are a lil pain, but they are minor in the end)
Are you locking on to your target?

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Nigulus Rex posted:

Become human and then add another humanity to your character so there is at least a 01 in the upper left. Go to a bonfire and choose to kindle it. You'll be sacrificing that 01 humanity but you now get five extra flasks every time you go to that particular bonfire. On top of that, because of the kindling other players may randomly sometimes receive an extra flask to their stock. Same could happen to you.

Edit: BEATEN

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

invalid posted:

What is it with RPGs and their counterparts?

I can't pick a character for the life of me. You'd think Knight vs Cleric would be of such little consiquence, but not for this man! It's like or death!
A few hours into the game, which class you picked at start will be almost meaningless.

Now, which gift you picked, THAT will make a difference.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Is anyone else having major framerate issues? DS ran pretty smoothly but this game seems to be constantly at 24ish and then dips in any remotely open area.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bobnumerotres posted:

Is anyone else having major framerate issues? DS ran pretty smoothly but this game seems to be constantly at 24ish and then dips in any remotely open area.
As far as I know the frame rate dives in exactly two places: 1, at the firelink (and only when facing certain directions) and 2, a deep underground place full of poisonous bugs and poo poo that you will want out of as soon as you go in.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Oh god loving dammit it is maneater all over again

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Am I missing something here. I started Pyromancer and got past the first tutorial section of the game and started the main game but I can't seem to use my fireball spell still. Do I need to do something to activate it? Does he need a talisman to use spells like in demons souls and if so where can I find one asap?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Funkmaster General posted:

Can you clarify? I'm working on that boss right now and spawning at firelink. It doesn't jump out at you, at least.
I don't know how you could have missed it, it's in a room to your left as you are coming up on the bridge where people throw firebombs at you.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Samurai Sanders posted:

Now, which gift you picked, THAT will make a difference.

That's right, I remember from the first game that in was all moot by the end anyway.

But starting gifts? Why are they doing this to me?! I refuse to look at the wiki this time! Is this what a junkie's relapse is like?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Darth Windu posted:

Oh god loving dammit it is maneater all over again

What? No... No... NOOOOOOO

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

The code I got on my card doesn't work, and it's not in the aa-bb-cc-dd format the webpage specifies. Anyone else have this problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Errrm, there's a pretty bad bug in the game that could be exploited. Don't read if you don't want to know. Last night when I was playing, I died and decided to call it a night as it was late, so went straight to Quit Game in the XMB (okay I ragequit). When I loaded it up again when I got home from work today I was standing on my blood stain with full health.

Then again today, I squeezed in a quick game before my driving lesson, died to a trap in Sen's Fortress and quit (honestly wasn't a rage quit this time, I didn't have time for another game, I swear!). I get back from my driving lesson and and an lo and behold, I've spawned on my bloodstain again. Still standing on the very trap that killed me infact.

I'm not going to abuse this because I'm not a big cheat, but there it is nonetheless.

• Locked thread
«2322 »