Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Think i'll start out as a bandit because that battle axe sounds great, do bandits start with light or heavy armor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Depths posted:

Think i'll start out as a bandit because that battle axe sounds great, do bandits start with light or heavy armor?
Looks like light to me. The same weight as the black leather armor I use. But really maybe saying "light" and "heavy" armor is a misnomer, the only clear division between the two is in YOUR stats, not the armor itself. If your stats are high enough then all armor is light to you.

edit: well, metal armor makes more noise than leather though, which means enemies will hear you coming from further away. I think that's independent of your stats.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 29, 2011

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Samurai Sanders posted:

I also started with heavy armor until I got back into the Souls groove, then took it off. That's probably the better way to go, since heavy armor is expensive and/or a rare drop in the beginning of the game but light armor is common. So, better to bring some heavy armor with you into the game.

Wait, bring it with you? You can't import a character from Demon's can you?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

The Wise Teen posted:

I think by bringing it into the game he means via your initial class choice since some of them get heavy armor.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Wise Teen posted:

No I mean, the equipment you start the game with is effectively introduced to the game world. Everything else being equal, it's better to introduce expensive equipment than cheap equipment, and heavy armor is more expensive than light.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

Some level of heavy armor (I don't understand what yet) causes your animations to not be interrupted by enemy attacks, so that is a big boon for heavy armor.

See. This is why I'm going to love this game. So many action games wouldn't even think of that. But it's true. If we're speaking realism here (abeit. Song of Ice and Fire level of realism), heavy armor at the plate level should let you "super-armor" (to borrow a fighting game term) through some attacks.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I'm playing like I played Demon's Souls.

Heavy armor and a sword and shield.

Disadvantage? Perhaps. But I look badass as I'm slaughtering countless dreglings. :black101:

Is the rune shield and sword back in it? If so I've got an idea to play as Ostrava again

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

The starting classes look considerably fancier now, assuming that the art in the wiki is similar to what they'll be wearing in the game. I cannot decide between the Warrior, Knight, or Bandit.

I'm usually more of a knightly dude, but man that bandit looks kickass.

Yeah my willpower starting as a Warrior is wavering looking at that. Clearly the warrior has mostly superior starting stats, but the awesome looking armor you might be wearing for a while? It's important to beat the crap out of hellish hordes, but you do it looking cool or you go home.

On the other hand, the Deprived clearly has the best starting stats out of everyone. 11 stats across the board. Good place to build any character you want.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 29, 2011

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

At lower levels that is true, rolling in general has been nerfed. Rolls come out faster, but the recovery time has been increased. However once you get +20 dexterity you do a new roll animation that has almost no recovery time.

I'm rolling a warrior. They start with 13 strength and dexterity. That way it won't be too hard to hit 20 strength and dexterity for me. I'm going to focus on strength however because I plan to make a two handed sword speed character. Strength increases swing speed so that's going to be my main stat besides vitality and endurance.

Sup fast 2-hander buddy :glomp:. That was the only way to play Demon Souls. Nothing was a better feeling than beating flamelurker using the lovely rear end 2 handed spiked club.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm making a pyromancer for a Fat Minister rp playthrough. Also, they have the coolest looking starting outfit :swoon:

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.
Holy poo poo.....
I just found theUndead skeleton smithy! So badass! He makes so farflame element weapons! :iamafag:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm making a pyromancer for a Fat Minister rp playthrough. Also, they have the coolest looking starting outfit :swoon:

I wish there was a way to make your character do the fat ministers laugh. I'd RP as one in a heartbeat.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Smelly posted:

I wish there was a way to make your character do the fat ministers laugh. I'd RP as one in a heartbeat.

There might be a laughing emote.

Pankratos
Dec 26, 2009

YOU DEFEATED

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, with light armor on you can JUMP. Like, horizontally, over empty space. You could never do that in Demon's. It is a game changer as far as exploring goes.

How does that work? Is it like a Zelda 64 "Build up enough momentum and you auto-jump to the next ledge" kind of thing?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pankratos posted:

How does that work? Is it like a Zelda 64 "Build up enough momentum and you auto-jump to the next ledge" kind of thing?
You hold down circle to run (it seems you need at least two or three steps), then tap it to jump. Either you make it to the other side or you fall to your death. Nothing is automatic and safe in this game, you should know better than that.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Samurai Sanders posted:

You hold down circle to run (it seems you need at least two or three steps), then tap it to jump. Either you make it to the other side or you fall to your death. Nothing is automatic and safe in this game, you should know better than that.
Since your inventory is unlimited can you just, say, strip naked if armoured, jump over and put all your clothes back on?

Also I am totally being a knight in Dark Souls because I rolled Fluted Armour 24/7 in Demon's Souls knowing full well I was gimping myself. :colbert:

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 29, 2011

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Do we know if there's more than one backstab animation this time around? Shanking someone in the spine with a whip is going to feel pretty silly.

Finigan
Apr 22, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Do we know if there's more than one backstab animation this time around? Shanking someone in the spine with a whip is going to feel pretty silly.

In one of the trailers I saw a guy do a baseball swing with a mace into the back of an enemies head. So I imagine different weapon types have different backstab animations.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

There are, but the game is still incredibly silly and lazy with some of the weapons. The big one that comes to mind is the scythe, where you shove it through a dude's back like a spear, top of the blade first. I honestly can't decide that shoving a reaping scythe as large as a torso through someone's back with the top of the blade is incredibly stupid or tremendously badass.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
so far naked fists, stabbing weapons like swords and spears, and blunt weapons like maces have had distinct animations.

also I've seen a certain enemy use a different backstab animation that you might not be able to do!

VVVVVVV Actually what I should say is that every weapon within any give type is unique and distinct in appearance and stats from every other weapon, but if you get two drops of the same item from the same enemy they will be identical in stat/look. Only upgrades you make can differentiate them.

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 29, 2011

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I know there are a few different classes of weapons (what does it matter to me, I'm gonna be polearms all day e'rry day), but are there different weapons among those classes, or only a few different sorts? I'm not talking Borderlands-esque variation, but is there at least some sort of randomization/variety?

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I hope there is something cool like old king doran's armor. That was my favorite armor and I'll be damned if anyone says it gimped my guy.

I'll probably going to make a priest since it was my first character before he diedPs3 died, pre-PSN+ cloud saving. :qq: 120 hours lost.

Am I correct in thinking there is some sort of quasi-roman Lion/worlf mask type armor? I only saw a brief glimpse of it in the trailer but it has a cool spartan like mohawk. It is the all saints day trailer @ 50 second mark.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 29, 2011

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Scyron posted:

I hope there is something cool like old king doran's armor. That was my favorite armor and I'll be damned if anyone says it gimped my guy.

Gimp your guy? That's like the best armor in the game.

quote:

Am I correct in thinking there is some sort of quasi-roman Lion/worlf mask type armor? I only saw a brief glimpse of it in the trailer but it has a cool spartan like mohawk. It is the all saints day trailer @ 50 second mark.

That's actually a boss. You may be able to get his armor, but I haven't seen it in any of the game play I've watched.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

But Not Tonight posted:

I know there are a few different classes of weapons (what does it matter to me, I'm gonna be polearms all day e'rry day), but are there different weapons among those classes, or only a few different sorts? I'm not talking Borderlands-esque variation, but is there at least some sort of randomization/variety?

Well, I'm still waiting on my copy, but if it's like Demon's Souls, you have classes of weaponry, and yes, there are numerous examples in those classes.

The classes of weapons (and the number of items in those classes) used to be...

• Straight sword (9)
  • Curved Sword (6)
  • Large Sword (9)
  • Extra Large Sword (2)
  • Dagger (4)
  • Rapier (6)
  • Katana (3)
  • Hammer (5)
  • Large Hammer (3)
  • Fist (3)
  • Axe (2)
  • Large Axe (3)
  • Spears (4)
  • Polearm (4)
  • Bows (6)
  • Crossbows (3)
  • Catalysts (3)
  • Talismans (2)
And each type of weapon had different move sets (straight used a combo of hacking and stabbing, while curved used tight slashes and katanas used wide arcing strikes), or shared a move set (like Large Hammer and Large Axe) but had different properties due to the nature of the weapon. Some of the examples within a set could be wildly different: For example, one of the Large Axes was a soul-forged item that had a very high but static damage (could not be upgraded) and dealt blunt instead of cut, while one of the Large Hammers dealt cut and bled life from the target. One Katana would deal high damage while costing life per swing. One spear was specifically favored in PVP because it destroyed equipment quickly. One bow would essentially shoot bolts of lava while a crossbow would deal magic damage. One of the two extra large swords gave the user fire resistance that could be fairly substantial, while one of the straight swords was specifically designed to make the most of the stats on a balanced character. And then there was the curved sword that increased drop rates.

Then there the gimmick weapons, like one that dealt almost no damage but siphoned souls off every hit, and the one that put you in "hyper mode"--increasing damage by 60%--that when combined with other items would allow you to kill the final boss with soul-arrow (the weakest spell) at level 1.

Where you start introducing the bulk of the variety within the weapon set itself is how you enhance it. The enchantments could vary from buffing how much your strength stat affected damage to increasing how fast your mana regenerated and how much damage your spells did. Or you could just make the weapon do what it already does better than it did before and be happy with that if you like.

There's really a ton of variety in Demon's Souls, and Dark Souls promises even more. Using it wisely is going to be the real trick.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 29, 2011

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Volitaire posted:

Gimp your guy? That's like the best armor in the game.

That's actually a boss. You may be able to get his armor, but I haven't seen it in any of the game play I've watched.

Hrrm, well that is good to know I was doing something right in my DS playthrough. I really hope that boss is like Yurt the Silent then, because he too had some badass armor.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
lol oh man that dude is way sicker than Yurt could ever hope to be

madjdmyo
Jan 10, 2007
Is there anywhere besides Amazon where I can pre-order the game to get the deluxe edition for the PS3? It seems to be out of stock there.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
^^^ Amazon.ca says CE is out of stock as well

So i'm in Canada and I want to preorder the CE online. The two options from preparetodie.com are Amazon and Gamestop. Which one should I go with? Are there any other options?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I believe Gamestop said they were getting more CE copies in but that could very well be a lie.

Viash
Mar 17, 2003
I was bored so I translated the area map on the Japanese wiki. Spoilers as hell obviously, also things will probably have different names in the actual English release and not my shoddy translations.

http://i.imgur.com/jsX7P.png

fivetwo
Jun 19, 2009
do you guys think the 360 online community will be as robust as the ps3 community?

flashdim
Oct 19, 2005

Still losing criticals

fivetwo posted:

do you guys think the 360 online community will be as robust as the ps3 community?

Personally I don't think so. You'd be surprised how large the PS3 online community is just because it's free.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

Lotish posted:

:words:

gently caress I am so excited for this game Tuesday why won't you just get here already goddamnit.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

fivetwo posted:

Its not selling quite as well on 360 as PS3, and you'll be missing out on the Japanese community entirely, so I'd say there'll probably be half to two thirds as many players on the Xbox. Beyond a certain point, it doesn't really matter how many people are playing though.

Unless you mean in terms of skill, then the answer is no.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

But Not Tonight posted:

gently caress I am so excited for this game Tuesday why won't you just get here already goddamnit.

my local non-chain game store said they will have it this friday for sure

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

my local non-chain game store said they will have it this friday for sure

I live in Houston so normally I'd hunt one down, but I work out in South Texas, and the only store out here is a Wal-Mart. I don't get back home until the 12th or 13th and waiting that long is just absolutely unacceptable, so I'll have to be satisfied with getting it Tuesday.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Just knowing Dark Souls is out in a few days makes me not care enough to continue playing Deus Ex.

fivetwo posted:

PS3 will have more players in general, and specifically more hardcore fans who loved Demon's Souls. Sounds like the definition of more robust to me.

Edit: hurr

acksplode fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 29, 2011

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

acksplode posted:

Just knowing Demon's Souls is out in a few days makes me not care enough to continue playing Deus Ex.

I hear you. I keep feeling like I might want to get Gears of War 3, but Dark Souls is just around the corner... (And Rage, and Battlefield 3, and Arkham City...)

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

dexplosivo posted:

I hear you. I keep feeling like I might want to get Gears of War 3, but Dark Souls is just around the corner... (And Rage, and Battlefield 3, and Arkham City...)

If you played GoW 2 or even 1, you're not missing much. Save your money for Dark Souls and Rage, I know I am. I didn't even realize AC is coming out two weeks afterwards, this is just a fantastic holiday season for games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

acksplode posted:

Just knowing Dark Souls is out in a few days makes me not care enough to continue playing Deus Ex.

I know what you mean. I've been looking forward to Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection for a while, but since Dark Souls is less than a week away and I gorged myself on streams I can't bring myself to play it. It's a shame, because they're both really damned good games that got tremendously improved by the jump to HD.:sigh:

• Locked thread