Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Vatek posted:

What's the button on the 360 to switch targets? Right now I have to mash right stick and hope it locks me on to the right guy, and the manual doesn't mention target switching at all.

You're supposed to flick the right stick to change targets, it just doesn't work that way sometimes.

So I asked a couple pages back but this thread moves fast. Where can I find the Spider Shield?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolas
Sep 9, 2002
i had this same problem, and it seems if i flick the right stick real fast it will switch, vs if if just nudge the right stick..the game doesn't seem to respond to that, so try flicking the right stick with more ..speed if that makes sense?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Vatek posted:

What's the button on the 360 to switch targets? Right now I have to mash right stick and hope it locks me on to the right guy, and the manual doesn't mention target switching at all.
Mash? I just pull it backward slightly.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Any good grinding spots early on (beat the first two bosses)? I need a couple levels of dex and I can't find anything better than letting the dragon roast the bridge guys over and over. The tree guys are worth 100xp a pop but they are damned annoying to fight.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Smelly posted:

You're supposed to flick the right stick to change targets, it just doesn't work that way sometimes.

So I asked a couple pages back but this thread moves fast. Where can I find the Spider Shield?

Spider shield is in the Depths. I think you get it rather early in to it.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Samurai Sanders posted:

How did all your stuff all get broken?

I've been trying to get to the bottom of the cleft for loving ever. Like 20 times last night and ten more today. Luckily, I found that it isn't that hard to just run past everyone and make it back out of Blight Town. I might try the forest before going back - I'm so sick of that lovely gross place.

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!

Vatek posted:

That's how I do it, right analog stick. It's finicky though.

Another question since you guys are awesome. Is there a way to permanently kill the skeletons in the Catacombs? It's driving me MAD.

Also, I just freed some Gold knight from his cell. He...seems sketch bag. But he gave me some medallion thingy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Darth Windu posted:

I've been trying to get to the bottom of the cleft for loving ever. Like 20 times last night and ten more today. Luckily, I found that it isn't that hard to just run past everyone and make it back out of Blight Town. I might try the forest before going back - I'm so sick of that lovely gross place.
Yeah, I know the feeling. But still, how did your stuff get broken? I didn't know there were any equipment-breaking enemies there.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

ireladd posted:

Spider shield is in the Depths. I think you get it rather early in to it.

Ah, haven't been there yet. Thanks, that's probably where I'm headed when I get on after work.

I'd imagine it takes a LOT of dying to break all your poo poo. After fighting several bosses and getting stomped on by a few things it only took a few hundred souls to repair all my stuff.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I know the feeling. But still, how did your stuff get broken? I didn't know there were any equipment-breaking enemies there.

It degrades over use, I believe. The drake sword is especially fragile.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Darth Windu posted:

It degrades over use, I believe. The drake sword is especially fragile.
Oh yeah it does, but with regular maintenance it shouldn't happen. Didn't anyone teach you that at Dark Souls school?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Smelly posted:

Easy Mode for the Spider Shield is to start as a Bandit. Probably a little late for that though, so the other place to get it is in the Depths-Upper Levels, in a corner of the room where you fight the Giant Rat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQrSZafpIpo has it around 4:20. Apparently you can get it in the New Londo Ruins as well, I think it drops off an enemy there.

Edit:

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

Also, I just freed some Gold knight from his cell. He...seems sketch bag. But he gave me some medallion thingy.

The Gold Knight is pretty interesting. He will KILL the Firekeeper at Firelink Shrine, disabling the Bonfire there. So kill his rear end if you want to keep that. You CAN kill him later, which nets you some sweet loot+the Firekeeper's soul so you can ressurect the Firekeeper at the Firelink Shrine, but you will be without that Bonfire for a WHILE. It's your call.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 5, 2011

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh yeah it does, but with regular maintenance it shouldn't happen. Didn't anyone teach you that at Dark Souls school?

Obviously! But I forgot to buy a repair kit, okay!? The first time I reached the Bsmith I didn't have enough souls for it, and I never remembered to go back and buy one.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

So people keep saying the pendant does plot stuff. I took the pendant, but what does it actually do that I wouldn't see otherwise?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Darth Windu posted:

Obviously! But I forgot to buy a repair kit, okay!? The first time I reached the Bsmith I didn't have enough souls for it, and I never remembered to go back and buy one.
Also, ALL of your equipment, or just your best equipment? When I was in the village of blight I had at least a few different sets of viable equipment.

edit: people would complain about having all their equipment get wrecked in Demon's too, but it was usually the result of a PvP opponent with a scraping spear, or that one enemy in 3-2 that can spit acid. As far as I know there is nothing like that in Dark...yet.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 5, 2011

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Daveski posted:

There is an easier/cheesier way to get that item... from the bridge right near the bonfire, where you get constantly firebombed, you can roll off the edge and land on the little ledge behind that guy. Grab the item and then run like hell past him, if you're quick you can make it back to the bonfire so he resets. This is much easier if you kill all the regular guys in the area first.

I found shooting an arrow at him, then running like hell and climbing a ladder will confuse his AI. He'll wander to the area where the firebomb assholes hung out. Then I ran back to where he was, grabbed the item and then found out he followed me. Got the item at least.

Is there a bonfire after the boar fight? I killed him, then wandered around a bit, then was murdered by some knights trying to find one.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

AttackBacon posted:

The Gold Knight is pretty interesting. He will KILL the Firekeeper at Firelink Shrine, disabling the Bonfire there. So kill his rear end if you want to keep that. You CAN kill him later, which nets you some sweet loot+the Firekeeper's soul so you can ressurect the Firekeeper at the Firelink Shrine, but you will be without that Bonfire for a WHILE. It's your call.

I knew that guy was going to be no good, but oh man, I left him after releasing him. How long is awhile?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

That's how I do it, right analog stick. It's finicky though.

Another question since you guys are awesome. Is there a way to permanently kill the skeletons in the Catacombs? It's driving me MAD.

Either kick them off a cliff, use holy damage, or kill the lich controlling them farther in.

As for the knight, I'll just say that I put down a "be wary of liar" sign right next to him.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Wise Teen posted:

So people keep saying the pendant does plot stuff. I took the pendant, but what does it actually do that I wouldn't see otherwise?
I heard that it has to do with a pygmy.

Citanu541
Dec 1, 2008
I'm sure this has been gone over a ton of times already, but with all this freedom I just want to make sure I'm going the right direction. In the Undead Parish it seems you literally turn a corner to a caped skeleton and the game increases in difficulty 5 fold. Is this right? It seems almost impossible for me at this point. This game is pissing me off so bad, but it must be doing something right, because I keep going back.

...:negative:...

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Aside from being able to summon phantoms and get invaded (and not look like a withered corpse), what other benefits are there to reversing your hollowed status? You lose your human look if you die, like you lose your body in Demon's Souls, right?

Also, am I correct in assuming that Pyromancy Flame is the only catalyst for Pryomancy? I've looked at the wiki and found nothing. Been upgrading that thing as much as I could as soon as I found the Pyromancer trainer.

Oh and the Gaping Dragon :gonk:

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

The Wise Teen posted:

Okay this is Covenant spoilers, but it's also very relevant for offline-only players, so you may want to read it if you are an offliner. The Pendant is used to trade with the Hawk-Girl in the Undead Asylum (at the nest, she talks about wanting "soft, warm things"). When you give her the Pendant, she gives a Souvenir of Reprisal. This the ONLY way to get a Souvenir of Reprisal that I know about, offline. The Souvenir of Reprisal is the item you need to level up the Darkmoon Blade Covenant. When you level it up, you get the Miracle: Darkmoon Blade (Buffed up Magic Weapon) and the Darkmoon Talisman (one of the strongest Talismans for Miracle users in the game, has the highest possible Magic Adjust).

Edit:

Jimbot posted:

Also, am I correct in assuming that Pyromancy Flame is the only catalyst for Pryomancy? I've looked at the wiki and found nothing. Been upgrading that thing as much as I could as soon as I found the Pyromancer trainer.

The Pyromancy Flame is the only catalyst for Pyromancy. The trade-off is that it's the only upgrade-able catalyst, and you can upgrade it quite a bit. The reason it is upgrade-able is because it does not scale it's Magic Adjust rating with Int, therefore it needs to be able to be upgraded to scale. This is so that Pyromancers don't need to purely focus on Int, and can instead put points into Str or Dex and be good in melee as well. This actually synergizes quite nicely with a lot of the Pyromancies, many of which are short range, and which tend to have fewer charges than Sorceries (meaning you will need to rely on your melee attacks more often). The Pyromancy Flame itself is also quite a strong melee weapon, ending up with GIGANTIC attack and high Flame damage as well (going off the data in the guide, have not verified in game on that point).

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 5, 2011

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

AttackBacon posted:

The Black Knights have a chance to drop several things: A low chance to drop their weapon, a medium chance to drop their shield, and a pretty high chance to drop a Titanite Chunk. I'm not sure if they can drop multiple things, I think they can. I recommend getting your Humanity up and equipping one of those item find rings before fighting them, because the weapons are awesome.

I can confirm this, and Dark Knights are easy as piss with a good -100% physical shield and enough space to circle around. I've gotten two for my score so far, and each dropped their weapon (I'm just a few levels away from being able to wield the Dark Knight Sword, and I just recently picked up the Dark Knight Halberd, though the 32 Str/18 Dex requirement made my pale just a bit.). Each also dropped a piece of special Titanite too.

Haven't gotten their shields, but I've been doing fine with the Knight's Shield I picked up behind the one fencer-knight in Undead Parish, it's pretty solid.

Incidentally? I found the Valley of Drakes just a bit back, got in a melee against one of them, madly dodging their lightning breath and blocking their melees... Then it did one of it's jump-attacks, flew away, and a few seconds later, I hear a screech and get 500 Souls. Evidently drakes can't fly, who knew!

Still need some better armor then Chain Mail, but my gear's gradually coming together :unsmith:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Sen's fortress is amazing. So much awesome items and so well designed.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also, ALL of your equipment, or just your best equipment? When I was in the village of blight I had at least a few different sets of viable equipment.

edit: people would complain about having all their equipment get wrecked in Demon's too, but it was usually the result of a PvP opponent with a scraping spear, or that one enemy in 3-2 that can spit acid. As far as I know there is nothing like that in Dark...yet.

I don't carry much extra equipment. Probably stupid of me.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Darth Windu posted:

The fact that carry limit is gone, yeah, a bit.

I don't have much either, I hate clutter.:ssh:

MMania
May 7, 2008

low-key-taco posted:

Any good grinding spots early on (beat the first two bosses)? I need a couple levels of dex and I can't find anything better than letting the dragon roast the bridge guys over and over. The tree guys are worth 100xp a pop but they are damned annoying to fight.

You need to spend money to make money.. in this case buy the key from the blacksmith for 20k souls, go past the headless stone thing, and open the shining door at the end of the path. Enemies there give 2/3k per, and I believe there are five of em. They aren't exactly easy to kill but that is a ton of souls for that early in the game.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

MMania posted:

You need to spend money to make money.. in this case buy the key from the blacksmith for 20k souls, go past the headless stone thing, and open the shining door at the end of the path. Enemies there give 2/3k per, and I believe there are five of em. They aren't exactly easy to kill but that is a ton of souls for that early in the game.

20K? Yuck, I'm lucky to ever have 3K at any given time.

I've seen the door you're talking about though, which blacksmith sells the key?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

All these people asking what to do after ringing the first bell are making me feel Bad At Video Games(tm), because I'm still stuck on the gargoyle fight. I've wasted almost all of my consumable humanity summoning the NPC white phantom. I've yet to see a single other player offering help. I have the drake sword and I go in with firebombs, but neither seems to help much. The NPC draws their attention, which is nice, but he also draws them away from me physically, which makes it nearly impossible to hit them. Then he dies and I'm stuck with fighting both of them. They won't get far enough away from each other to make it feasible to hit either of them, and if I get bold and rush in I am always knocked down after one or two swings, which leads to certain death because it gives the other one a chance to block my escape route and prevent me from drinking my flask.

With all the people who were asking questions about where to go when I found the paths obvious, or how to beat the taurus demon who gave me no trouble, now asking about after that fight and nobody mentioning having trouble with it, I feel like maybe I'm being a huge dumb and missing some obvious way to deal with them?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Darth Windu posted:

Can't you just grab new equipment from your stash at the bonfire?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Can't you just grab new equipment from your stash at the bonfire?

Oh yeah! Man, I sometimes forget about everything in this game. Anyway, I already got out, so it is no big deal. Some pansy butterfly is kicking my butt now. I'll get it.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Funkmaster General posted:

All these people asking what to do after ringing the first bell are making me feel Bad At Video Games(tm), because I'm still stuck on the gargoyle fight. I've wasted almost all of my consumable humanity summoning the NPC white phantom. I've yet to see a single other player offering help. I have the drake sword and I go in with firebombs, but neither seems to help much. The NPC draws their attention, which is nice, but he also draws them away from me physically, which makes it nearly impossible to hit them. Then he dies and I'm stuck with fighting both of them. They won't get far enough away from each other to make it feasible to hit either of them, and if I get bold and rush in I am always knocked down after one or two swings, which leads to certain death because it gives the other one a chance to block my escape route and prevent me from drinking my flask.

With all the people who were asking questions about where to go when I found the paths obvious, or how to beat the taurus demon who gave me no trouble, now asking about after that fight and nobody mentioning having trouble with it, I feel like maybe I'm being a huge dumb and missing some obvious way to deal with them?

You're playing on 360 right? If you were on PS3 I'd give you a hand if able. :(

I think I lucked out, I'm playing deprived and the first time I came across them i died, not even thinking about the guy you can summon. So I went and grabbed some chainmail armor, revived and went back with the guy. I got knocked off the edge almost instantly, but the third try I just made sure to stay back and have the guy tank most the damage. As long as you can avoid the flames from the second one, it isn't TOO horrible.

Luck is a big factor though.

oh, I also upgraded my weapon a few times, but if you don't have it, get the Drake Sword. Apparently it's awesome and I'm grabbing it before I go down into the depths.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

blighttown makes me want to break my ps3 in half. gently caress the lovely framerate and gently caress these platforms.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

Smelly posted:

Tiny Being ring is a translation error.

It doesn't regen your health, it gives you a small health boost.

Edit: The error for the ring should go in the OP, it's a pretty significant gently caress up for people looking for a regen ring.

VVV:stare:VVV

Yeah, I was initially going to make that choice until I saw the warning. I only just started, but I'm not seeing anything on the wiki just yet about an actual regen ring. It'd be a shame if they took out all sources of HP regen, because that was my weapon of choice for breaking Demon's Souls, and I'd hate to have to find another. :v:

That being said, it looks like some of the stat soft caps are starting to pop up - 20, 30, and 50 strength for the swing speed levels, 40 endurance for maxed stamina, etc. There are similar points for attunement, resistance, and possibly dexterity. I'm interested in the strength path at the moment, just due to how the swing speeds will change. The halberd is a clumsy thing at 16 strength, it'll be fun to see how it and the other heavy two-handers change.

Edit: And I just saw the thing about creepy gold armor guy. I might need to restart, as he's dead as hell in my game.

monoptic fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 5, 2011

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Jimbot posted:

Actually there is an upgraded Pyromancy Flame you can get in the game, from Quelaana of Izalith in the Blighttown swamps.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Alectai posted:

I can confirm this, and Dark Knights are easy as piss with a good -100% physical shield and enough space to circle around. I've gotten two for my score so far, and each dropped their weapon (I'm just a few levels away from being able to wield the Dark Knight Sword, and I just recently picked up the Dark Knight Halberd, though the 32 Str/18 Dex requirement made my pale just a bit.). Each also dropped a piece of special Titanite too.

Haven't gotten their shields, but I've been doing fine with the Knight's Shield I picked up behind the one fencer-knight in Undead Parish, it's pretty solid.

Incidentally? I found the Valley of Drakes just a bit back, got in a melee against one of them, madly dodging their lightning breath and blocking their melees... Then it did one of it's jump-attacks, flew away, and a few seconds later, I hear a screech and get 500 Souls. Evidently drakes can't fly, who knew!

Still need some better armor then Chain Mail, but my gear's gradually coming together :unsmith:

Where can I get a -100% shield?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Nigulus Rex posted:

You can buy a 100% Block shield from the first merchant. I think the cheapest one is the Heater Shield.

I'm with Alectai, I need something other than this chainmail, it looks like I'm wearing a dress. :v:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Nigulus Rex posted:

They just mean a "Physical: 100" shield. Check the item stats, they're fairly common. Hollow spear guys drop them.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
A few questions:

1: I died a few times while doing the first 'up' area. I had died! THEN when I checked I had 1 humanity. I had NOT used a humanity item. WTF? I know items are different to status. It was humanity in my status. How does that work?

2: is it worth upgrading the spear or estoc? I'm using them both for my stabby-shield weapons, and my scimitar for all-out assault. I have 1 upgrade thing, should I save it for a better weapon?

3: can people summon before the first boss taurus? I tried to help people last night but nobody summoned me.

Edit: PS3 version. Maybe this weekend it will pick up...?

redreader fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Are you playing the 360 version? I know I haven't seen a whole lot of other players there, which pisses me right the gently caress off, as it's the only version I could find.

• Locked thread