Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Are the repair/upgrade kits the blacksmith sells single use or permanent? If they're permanent, will buying all of them mean I can do all my blacksmithing tasks at whatever bonfire I'm at, or are they limited in some way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serling
Aug 25, 2005

Thoom posted:

Are the repair/upgrade kits the blacksmith sells single use or permanent? If they're permanent, will buying all of them mean I can do all my blacksmithing tasks at whatever bonfire I'm at, or are they limited in some way?

Permanent, meaning great investments.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
There's a stairway downstairs on the right hand side, stay away from the oil-looking spots on the ground, and suck up the first breath, if you're quick, you should make it downstairs before he goes for a second shot.

Then, move to the left and kick the ladder when you're prompted, you'll get a shortcut that lets you get right back there from the Bonfire earlier in the Undead Burg, which'll save you a huge amount of hassle from the bullshit coming ahead.

Be Wary of Boar

Isn't it a wonderful feeling though, breaking through an obstacle that pissed you off for so long?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

der juicen posted:

*be wary of dragon*

*hears wings, looks up in time to see fire*

:saddowns:

Hrm, some baddies across this bridge... better take it slow. Hey wait... is this... oil? :raise:

*dragon swoops overhead*

FUUUUUUUUUUCK :supaburn:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
:doh: I didn't even notice oil spots on the bridge, I was too busy booking it across.

Surprisingly I didn't die to the dragon, but that's neat that there's oil on the bridge.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Hrm, some baddies across this bridge... better take it slow. Hey wait... is this... oil? :raise:

*dragon swoops overhead*

FUUUUUUUUUUCK :supaburn:

I tried to hide where the baddies were, but he just landed there a burned me up. :( gently caress, he is there for good, goodbye souls. :(

der juicen fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 5, 2011

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004
Finally got my copy from Amazon after those delays, but they sent me the wrong version. I don't have a 360, what the gently caress Amazon. :negative:

AttackBacon posted:

Okay this is Covenant spoilers, but it's also very relevant for offline-only players, so you may want to read it if you are an offliner. The Pendant is used to trade with the Hawk-Girl in the Undead Asylum (at the nest, she talks about wanting "soft, warm things"). When you give her the Pendant, she gives a Souvenir of Reprisal. This the ONLY way to get a Souvenir of Reprisal that I know about, offline. The Souvenir of Reprisal is the item you need to level up the Darkmoon Blade Covenant. When you level it up, you get the Miracle: Darkmoon Blade (Buffed up Magic Weapon) and the Darkmoon Talisman (one of the strongest Talismans for Miracle users in the game, has the highest possible Magic Adjust).

Does this mean the pendant is useless for people not using miracles or joining that Covenant? Or is there another use for it?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Quick question about Snuggly, are all her trades 1-time deals like Sparkly?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Okay, forest beaten, I'm gonna try for blighttown again. If anyone wants to help I'm SL 28 and oh god I'm so bad at this part. I have reached only as far as the first bonfire.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
So is there a choice to either go through the dragon or take the shortcut to the parish? It looked like it was guarded by some huge animal.

Darth Windu posted:

Okay, forest beaten, I'm gonna try for blighttown again. If anyone wants to help I'm SL 28 and oh god I'm so bad at this part. I have reached only as far as the first bonfire.

Help me and I can pay it forward. :(

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
The pendant has another, plot-related use that I don't fully understand yet. I just know some of the names in the item's description are supposed to come up later.

der juicen posted:

So is there a choice to either go through the dragon or take the shortcut to the parish? It looked like it was guarded by some huge animal.

You pretty much have to deal with the dragon at some point to progress, especially if you want to not fight something out of your level range. If you just book it you can make it to the stairwell on the right in the middle of the bridge, you can survive a hit from or two from the fire.

VVV You don't need to be hollowed to drop a summon sign.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 5, 2011

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

der juicen posted:

Help me and I can pay it forward. :(

But...but I'm already in human form! If I die, I'll be sure to put down a soulsign just for you.

Edit Yeah I died. I'll put down a sign at the entrance to the whole thing, and another at the bonfire...if I can make it there again.

Darth Windu fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 5, 2011

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Darth Windu posted:

But...but I'm already in human form! If I die, I'll be sure to put down a soulsign just for you.

Edit Yeah I died. I'll put down a sign at the entrance to the whole thing, and another at the bonfire...if I can make it there again.

If you can get to the burg bonfire we can just go up the later and see what we can do with dragass. He's chilling over the doorway that I need to go through. Assuming you're 360.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I hate the depths so much.

Lots of narrow corridors, tons of poison, and there is a not-zero chance you'll end up cursed before the end of it.

tn
Aug 12, 2006

Earlier this week, I came across a translated version of this map from the Japanese wiki: http://image01.w.livedoor.jp/p/k/project_dark/ee87fbb121e5dc4f.PNG

Would anyone happen to have it handy? :unsmith:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Has anyone encountered a Vagrant yet? I've been dropping equipment hoping it'll become one and give another player a chance to get something good.

SolidHavoc
Jul 16, 2003
Maybe someone can help me with this- I was killing skeletons around the undead burg bonfire and my humanity counter in the upper right kept increasing, though I know for a fact that I was not picking up any humanity off of corpses. Is this right? I thought the only way to increase it was through items

Manley Pointer
Sep 6, 2010
So does Humanity work as sort of a rich get richer system? The more humanity you have, the more humanity will drop from enemies? Or are physical item drops (not humanity drops) the only thing affected by the humanity number shown onscreen? The game's great, but it doesn't exactly go out of its way to tell you how humanity or vagrant stuff works.

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!
So what gear (and location) do I need to make Bligh Town doable? The Shadow Set doesn't give me nearly enough resistance to make sure poison isn't a problem.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

der juicen posted:

I never played Demon, but like the other poster, I guess run. He is on the other side now, ugh.
The dragon is weird because he's somewhat unpredictable about how often/early he breathes after that initial surprise attack. You can edge easily halfway to the downstairs hatch and he might never move, but the next time he might breath on you twice in the space of time it takes to sprint there, naked.

Just try it, retreat, heal, try again.
I never got one-shotted by the fire, and I only had like 10 or 11 vitality (570ish, hitpoints).

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

SolidHavoc posted:

Maybe someone can help me with this- I was killing skeletons around the undead burg bonfire and my humanity counter in the upper right kept increasing, though I know for a fact that I was not picking up any humanity off of corpses. Is this right? I thought the only way to increase it was through items

It can randomly drop from enemies and be added straight to your counter. The mist that comes off an enemies dead body will be a different color when it happens.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Has anyone encountered a Vagrant yet? I've been dropping equipment hoping it'll become one and give another player a chance to get something good.

Yeah, I found one in the undead church. It looked like a crab and dropped a humanity item. It was super wimpy.

SolidHavoc posted:

Nope, sometimes you get it added straight to your total from kills. Look at the "mist" that comes out of enemies when they die. If it's black instead of white you'll get humanity. So far the rats are the only non-special enemies I've found that drop the humanity item. Which is kind of odd now that I think about it.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Where do I go after blighttown?

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

The Moon Monster posted:

Nope, sometimes you get it added straight to your total from kills. Look at the "mist" that comes out of enemies when they die. If it's black instead of white you'll get humanity. So far the rats are the only non-special enemies I've found that drop the humanity item. Which is kind of odd now that I think about it.

Mankind was the true vermin all along. :smug:

AaronB
Jan 9, 2011

Shlapintogan posted:

I hate the depths so much.

Lots of narrow corridors, tons of poison, and there is a not-zero chance you'll end up cursed before the end of it.

Tell me about it, this is a pretty cruel section. I'm confident I won't beat the boss if I end up getting cursed. Right now I went back to the burg to attempt to grind enough souls to buy the uncurse item.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand
OK, I tried catching up on this thread since I quit following it on Monday night, but couldn't be arsed to wade through all the sperging over Amazon preorder woes. So, this may have been answered already:

When I look at the gestures menu on the PS3 it shows Sixaxis style movements associated with each one. What does this mean? Can I execute the gestures by like holding a button and wagging my controller or what?

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Wait, am I only supposed to get to the stairs to shortcut my bon fire?

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

I was amazed that not only did I not get cursed at all in the Depths, but I took out every single enemy in that territory without dying or igniting the bonfire. Before going to the boss I had free run of the place, so I just looked around and collected things I might have missed at my leisure.

And now, Blight Town. Sigh.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Whomever said that the gargoyles were simply Maneater from Demon's Souls Ver. 2 is a loving liar.

This poo poo is SO much easier than the original. The platform for the encounter is 3 times the size at least, and there aren't pillars and poo poo blocking you from moving easily. That fucker on NG+++ cock blocked me from my platinum for a long time.

I just used an upgraded Wing Spear and Knight Shield and had no issues. You can easily dodge left when they start the fire and run right up and stab the poo poo out of it.

der juicen posted:

No, explore more Go under the bridge or if you just want to know there is a doorway under the bridge to the left of the end of it with rats

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand

KGBAgent185 posted:

No, explore more Go under the bridge or if you just want to know there is a doorway under the bridge to the left of the end of it with rats

To expand on this, be sure to kick the ladder down. I didn't the first time, and regretted it.

AaronB
Jan 9, 2011

ireladd posted:

I was amazed that not only did I not get cursed at all in the Depths, but I took out every single enemy in that territory without dying or igniting the bonfire. Before going to the boss I had free run of the place, so I just looked around and collected things I might have missed at my leisure.

And now, Blight Town. Sigh.

I made it all the way to the Gaping Dragon at one point, but didn't defeat it. After than it's just been a clusterfuck. I guess I just happened to stumble on the optimal path on my first journey and can't rememeber it now. I am definitely not going the way I did on my first trip.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

KGBAgent185 posted:

That's what I meant. I was trying to cross the bridge. :downs:

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

So I just (literally) stumbled upon the Gaping Dragon right after killing the boss of the Undead Burg Basement. Goodbye, 6,000 souls. What. The. poo poo.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Is there a second bonfire in Blighttown? I made it just past the waterwheels to the room with all of the dart-blowers and there's no way I'm going to make it any farther without another bonfire near here. The framerate just gets too bad to rely on 10 flasks for this distance.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

AaronB posted:

I made it all the way to the Gaping Dragon at one point, but didn't defeat it. After than it's just been a clusterfuck. I guess I just happened to stumble on the optimal path on my first journey and can't rememeber it now. I am definitely not going the way I did on my first trip.

Were you able to open up the short cut doors that basically create one long stairwell down near the boss? That should make it better on subsequent tries.

AaronB
Jan 9, 2011

ireladd posted:

Were you able to open up the short cut doors that basically create one long stairwell down near the boss? That should make it better on subsequent tries.

drat, no I wasn't. Didn't see anything like that. I THINK I fell down a slope with a slight waterfall the first time I made it to the boss. After that I found a bonfire and just kept banging my head against a wall with rats and curses.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

der juicen posted:

That's what I meant. I was trying to cross the bridge. :downs:

You can actually run right under the dragon... I took off all my armor so I could move faster and made it. He did manage to get one fire hit in, but it wasn't quite enough to kill me.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

der juicen posted:

That's also the way to progress. Just be diligent about finding the shortcut before moving forward on the underside of the bridge. :D

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
This game is so intense that I have to take a break every hour or so. I might be a pussy, but I'm still getting the hang of things. I'm absolutely loving the game, though, and am probably going to spend an unholy amount of hours into it.

I made a series of stupid mistakes early-on, though, and lost all of my humanity ( I died, tried to run to my corpse too hastily and got killed again in the process ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

ColdCock posted:

When I look at the gestures menu on the PS3 it shows Sixaxis style movements associated with each one. What does this mean? Can I execute the gestures by like holding a button and wagging my controller or what?

Yes, you can do gestures using the six-axis.

• Locked thread