Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Man, I summoned the best partner ever for my run at Anal Rondo's castle or whatever. I almost got through the whole castle and beat the boss in one go. Almost, anyway. Bad planning on my part. Thanks, whoever you were!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

You misspelled Dual Shields. (Which actually works)

Also, you have to equip the firebombs on your items list, then scroll to them by pressing down, then use the item button.

I did this. Firebombs don't show up in the list. I tried changing the order, I still don't know what that means. I'm trying to play this game blind, but it's really really hard.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Guliani is HOT posted:

You can only aim with bows (as in plain bows, not crossbows)

You can do *limited* aiming by positioning your body and manipulating the camera with the crossbow...I managed to line myself up, time the bolt's path to intercept the target as it swung back and forth, and popped it with 25-30 bolts. Probably more luck than talent, but it was useful to figure out what I could and could not do with the crossbow.

Gargonovitch
Feb 23, 2008

I dunno how many years on this Earth I got left... I'm gonna get real WEIRD with it...
I'm really enjoying the game so far, but goddamn this game could have used some better optimization. 15FPS was fine on the N64 back in '98, but this is 20 loving 11. When both gargoyles decide to use their fire attack, it might as well be called the slideshow attack. Tough to tell what's going on at 2 fps.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

bushisms.txt posted:

I did this. Firebombs don't show up in the list. I tried changing the order, I still don't know what that means. I'm trying to play this game blind, but it's really really hard.

The list with your estus flask and everything else? It's under your equip list.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Playing Undead Burg for like 5 straight hours is getting OLD. Taurus Demon (even though I know what to do) is just not dying. While ligning up a drop I glanced off him and fell to
My death. Another time, before I could drop, he came up and soundly on-shotted me.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Samurai Sanders posted:

Man, I summoned the best partner ever for my run at Anal Rondo's castle or whatever. I almost got through the whole castle and beat the boss in one go. Almost, anyway. Bad planning on my part. Thanks, whoever you were!

How the gently caress do you get past the 2 sniper dark knights?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kweh posted:

How the gently caress do you get past the 2 sniper dark knights?
Bum rush with a good shield.

The guy who was helping me clearly knew this place inside and out, and that's what he did too.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

Feenix posted:

Playing Undead Burg for like 5 straight hours is getting OLD. Taurus Demon (even though I know what to do) is just not dying. While ligning up a drop I glanced off him and fell to
My death. Another time, before I could drop, he came up and soundly on-shotted me.

I didn't even realize you could do that plunge attack like that until after I killed him. I firebombed his head in from above. When he'd jump up I'd roll off and climb back up the ladder, panning the camera around and re-targeting him while I climbed. You have to be careful not to walk off the edge when you throw because your character steps forward when you toss, and not to get too greedy and chuck more than 2 otherwise he'll smash you when he gets up there. Only took me 2 tries this way.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Feenix posted:

If you have it, use the thing that gives you a lightning enchantment. If you don't, that drop isn't too hard. Just turn around, clear the top, climb down, run down, and as soon as you hear any noise whatsoever, sprint back. Climb to the top, activate lightning, walk off side, hit attack, IMMEDIATELY turn around and get back on the ladder and climb up, walk off and attack again. If this doesn't kill him, it should take one or two more hits.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Samurai Sanders posted:

Bum rush with a good shield.

The guy who was helping me clearly knew this place inside and out, and that's what he did too.

I've tried that but every time I get to the spot where 1 will be behind you and 1 will be in front they destroy me. When I finally got to 1 and killed him I didn't realize I left my cat ring on and got summoned away and naturally raped, being sent back to the beginning of the castle. :negative:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

The list with your estus flask and everything else? It's under your equip list.

Thanks, I'm dumb. I didn't realize I had to equip to the equip list.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kweh posted:

I've tried that but every time I get to the spot where 1 will be behind you and 1 will be in front they destroy me. When I finally got to 1 and killed him I didn't realize I left my cat ring on and got summoned away and naturally raped, being sent back to the beginning of the castle. :negative:
Come to think of it, I may have just lucked out, I managed to knock one of them off the building right away, so dealing with the other one was no problem.

Anyway I opened up a shortcut so I won't ever have to do it again. It's nuts that the black knights all respawn there though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Oct 6, 2011

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008

Tobias Grant posted:

I beat that guy without him even touching me :smug:. Just retreat up one floor so you can have some room to maneuver.

I play a slow as hell knight so I cheesed the gently caress out of this guy I had a crossbow and I loaded up on about 130 bolts from the vendor. I aggroed the dildo bat black knight and had him chase me all the way up to the entrance of that tower he's in. Then I took him out the door to the stairs that lead up to this tower. He would usually swing at me here and miss ( I had plenty of time to stay ahead of him) and then he would go back in the tower and towards the staircase leading back down to where he came from. As he is retreating back to the staircase I was able to follow him because for some reason he won't chase you again until he backs up to the door stairs going down (although sometimes he would reset a bit before hand, but I was well enough away from him to run if this happened) So for about 30-45 minutes he would chase me to the stairs, swing and miss, and as he crept back in to the tower and towards the stairs going down I would go up to the doorway leading into the tower and plink him with a crossbow bolt that took about 10 dmg off him. He would reach the stairs, reset, and chase me again. I would let him catch up a bit the run out of the doorway again down the stairs a little-he would swing and miss and we'd do the whole thing over again. Basically Dildo Knight can't leave that loving tower so if you suck like me this might help

gently caress yo Dildo mace mothafucka!:smug:

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Is there any place to reliably get arrows besides the undead merchant? I killed him thinking there would be more merchants and I wanted the katana. I guess my play through is hosed.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

darkhand posted:

Is there any place to reliably get arrows besides the undead merchant? I killed him thinking there would be more merchants and I wanted the katana. I guess my play through is hosed.

There are other merchants that sell arrows but I don't think they sell just the regular cheap 10 soul arrows.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
yeah the sewer hag or whatever sells poison/fire but they are 35. A little pricey.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
What is with the honor duels in forest hunter attacks? gently caress no don't 1v1 him, there's loving 2 of us and a gang of NPCs for a reason you dickbags.

Motherfucker has a dragon face, he just shot fire out of his mouth! No! Don't bow! Goddamnit!

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 6, 2011

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Guliani is HOT posted:

You can only aim with bows (as in plain bows, not crossbows)

Thanks, i'll get to buying one when i start playing.

Got another question. I started as knight so i'm automatically in Way of the White, the covenant i want to be in. I can't seem to find the guy that gives me the miracle. I take it i have to go back to the very first Bonfire (before burg) and poke around?

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Fargin Icehole posted:

Thanks, i'll get to buying one when i start playing.

Got another question. I started as knight so i'm automatically in Way of the White, the covenant i want to be in. I can't seem to find the guy that gives me the miracle. I take it i have to go back to the very first Bonfire (before burg) and poke around?

Yes, he shows up inside the firelink shrine ruins and will teach you miracles after you speak with him a few times.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Saw this on the shelves tonight and bought the hell out of it, even at Australian retail, not sure i could have waited a few days for an import.

Gaming going to drive me broke over the next few months :x

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Hell yeah, just took down Quelaag. It would've been easier if I had thought to get that fire resist shield, but I still beat her on the second try. :smug: as hell, I proceeded to briefly explore and practically stumbled onto the Ceaseless Discharge, who proceeded to swat me into the middle of next week. I...think I'll come back there later. :stare:

Is there a shortcut out of Quelaag's Domain? I found the covenant bonfire, but the only way out seems to be either to go to Valley of the Drakes and be demolished by dragons or, god forbid, walk all the way from the mountain up through Blighttown, the Depths, and finally to the Parish so I can explore that gate that just opened.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

If you have it, use the thing that gives you a lightning enchantment. If you don't, that drop isn't too hard. Just turn around, clear the top, climb down, run down, and as soon as you hear any noise whatsoever, sprint back. Climb to the top, activate lightning, walk off side, hit attack, IMMEDIATELY turn around and get back on the ladder and climb up, walk off and attack again. If this doesn't kill him, it should take one or two more hits.

I've been playing this game without spoilers as much as possible, but I came here to see if anyone had any decent soul farming tips. But what the hell? I wish I'd thought of this. I defeated the drat Taurus Demon completely hand-to-hand, just by blocking and dodging his swings. Bloody hell.

There had better not be some stupid trick to the bell gargoyle too. When I saw the second one come in I was like, "oh hell no, you fuckers did it again?" At least they gave you more space to move around this time.

Also, it was at that point I decided to abandon my Wanderer and make another Sorcerer like I did in the first game. It may make it "easier" but this is still the hardest "easy" game I've ever played.

Hiring for a level designer for third installment of the Souls series. Applicants must be severe assholes. Experience in domestic abuse, guerilla warfare, or similar fields is highly preferred.

softcorps fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 6, 2011

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Two things:

1) Did I screw anything up by killing (covenant spoiler) the Way of White maiden and her cronies? Their covenant just sucks!

2) I'm SL40 now after grinding in the forest for a while, am I ready to take on Blighttown yet?

Zmanl0p6
Apr 7, 2007

i am gun drive a trane up u
Well then.
Started to make my way through the sewers finally. After reading all the horror stories about this place and curse it took a lot for me to nut up and go through with it. I managed to make it through ok and even found the bonfire (I had gone in through the Butcher's cubby). However, before I could ignite the bonfire and save my position, a phantom I had started to summon earlier dropped in and I was locked out of it. Thankfully this guy was kick rear end, one shotting everything in my path and showing me where all the cool items were. We even made it through the frog room just fine. So when it came time for the boss, I was nervous but had a good feeling we could beat it. My blue phantom friend took off most of the bosses life with ease and I even got some shots in. However, the drat thing somehow got him in a corner and killed him, leaving me alone with it, and before I could take of its sliver of health he tail whipped me and killed me. I should also mention that we were "invaded" by Kirk and we killed the bastard, which gave me a good 7k souls.. Lo and behold I'm back at the Undead Burg, and in my panic to get back to the boss room past that lovely sewer, I feel off a cliff and died, losing everything.
The real Dark Souls starts here I'm sure, but I think I'm done for tonight.
At least I'm not cursed. Also, props to whoever that phantom was.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I'm dicking around in Undead Burg hoping someone summons me for the boss (My white sign is just outside the fire!)

I'm noticing that there's an entire lower level! How the hell do I get down there? I see orange signs and stuff so I know it's not impossible or something.

serling
Aug 25, 2005

Solomonic posted:

Hell yeah, just took down Quelaag. It would've been easier if I had thought to get that fire resist shield, but I still beat her on the second try. :smug: as hell, I proceeded to briefly explore and practically stumbled onto the Ceaseless Discharge, who proceeded to swat me into the middle of next week. I...think I'll come back there later. :stare:

Ceaseless Discharge actually has a nice exploit to him that makes him really easy. Also, there's a fantastic set of armor in the back there which you should consider picking up early. It's at least worth a suicide run, in my opinion.

Solomonic posted:

Is there a shortcut out of Quelaag's Domain? I found the covenant bonfire, but the only way out seems to be either to go to Valley of the Drakes and be demolished by dragons or, god forbid, walk all the way from the mountain up through Blighttown, the Depths, and finally to the Parish so I can explore that gate that just opened.

For now, no.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

serling posted:

Ceaseless Discharge actually has a nice exploit to him that makes him really easy. Also, there's a fantastic set of armor in the back there which you should consider picking up early. It's at least worth a suicide run, in my opinion.

I did get the armor (that was what provoked him into the aforementioned swatting). Maybe I should stick around and try to figure out his achilles heel, then.

quote:

For now, no.

Oh well. The real Dark Souls starts here, I guess! :haw:

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

God drat I wish I could skip work tomorrow and just play Dark Souls. Friday is the worst day to pull a sicky, why did it have to come out on a Thursday dammit.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.
Two questions about shields. First, is upgrading a shield worth it? It looks like it just ups damage and stability to me...Second, what shields are people using as end-game/permanent shields?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Got any tips for Gaping Dragon? I can survive indefinitely but not do any damage. Should I just load up on bolts and crossbow his rear end? I summoned the NPC and another guy. The NPC just follows me around and never attacks, and the other guy clearly had never fought the thing before (it even forced me to watch the cutscene again) and didn't do any damage before promptly making me waste all my flasks and then biting it.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

softcorps posted:

There had better not be some stupid trick to the bell gargoyle too. When I saw the second one come in I was like, "oh hell no, you fuckers did it again?" At least they gave you more space to move around this time.

Apparently the secret to the bell gargoyles is to get into human form and summon somebody else or that nice chap you meet staring at the sun. Either or will basically take up the attention of the gargoyle so you can chop the gently caress out of it, making it an easier time for you. Tomorrow I'm explicitly farming souls so I can repair my Drake's sword so I can beat the hell out of that tail and get me a lovely, pretty axe.

softcorps posted:

Hiring for a level designer for third installment of the Souls series. Applicants must be severe assholes. Experience in domestic abuse, guerilla warfare, or similar fields is highly preferred.

"Okay, so after they fight the giant demon, a few more mid-tier enemies, and finally make it out onto the bridge, they see four sword-and-board enemies across the bridge from them, waiting to flank and destroy them."

"Uh, alright, I'm not seeing how this is dicki--"

"And after four steps onto the bridge, a dragon destroys them all and will leave anyone not above 50% health as a charred stain on the cobblestone"

"HIRED."

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
The best part about this game is being invaded by people who think they're hot poo poo with the huge sword they just found, stabing them in the back repeatedly and walking away with their humanity. That happened like three times in a row last night.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Yeah the Parish Boss is really easy with friends. I'm helping random internet peoples kill it for fun now. White Soapstone HEROES.

Where exactly is the next place to go? I rang the first bell, now there's a lot of open paths but am I headed down? I remember getting ruined by those banshee things.

Also is there a good way besides ranged to kill the lightning beast by the Parish fire? He keeps untargetting and mashing my face. I don't care if you can run past him I want to see him in little stone pieces.

The 1H mace parry/riposte is :black101: Mace to the Face!

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

mistaya posted:

Yeah the Parish Boss is really easy with friends. I'm helping random internet peoples kill it for fun now. White Soapstone HEROES.

Where exactly is the next place to go? I rang the first bell, now there's a lot of open paths but am I headed down? I remember getting ruined by those banshee things.

Also is there a good way besides ranged to kill the lightning beast by the Parish fire? He keeps untargetting and mashing my face. I don't care if you can run past him I want to see him in little stone pieces.

I just beat him to death with my sword, but supposedly he's weak to lightning.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

mistaya posted:

You are at the right place. The woods beyond are where you should go. If you haven't yet, I suggest you kindle the bonfire by the smith and kill/run onward.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

mistaya posted:

Did you already get into the lower section of Undead Burg? The street (kinda) part with the bandits? There's another boss there.

Edit:

Ankle-biter posted:

You are at the right place. The woods beyond are where you should go. If you haven't yet, I suggest you kindle the bonfire by the smith and kill/run onward.

Or maybe this, I didn't know you can go that route too, I got stuck there with unkillable enemies. I really like how areas are interconnected.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Oct 6, 2011

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Fuuuck, I got to the Valley of Drakes, went up some mountain path and then saw this seemingly dead dragon. I poked it because... well I don't know why, and then it suddenly woke the gently caress up, knocked me down, and then started vomiting poison all over me. Goooooddamn. I love this game.

serling
Aug 25, 2005

Solomonic posted:

I did get the armor (that was what provoked him into the aforementioned swatting). Maybe I should stick around and try to figure out his achilles heel, then.

Yes, of course you are right. I totally forgot that he was triggered by picking up the armor set.

Solomonic posted:

The best part about this game is being invaded by people who think they're hot poo poo with the huge sword they just found, stabing them in the back repeatedly and walking away with their humanity. That happened like three times in a row last night.

My dream is to, at some point, equip my black, tattered robes, wield my iconic scythe, and invade a low level player while fully transformed with a dragon head -- just for a few scares. :haw: :haw: :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Where are you people that you're invading? I can't get it to work in Undead Burg, at least. Should I go further on?

• Locked thread