Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Sorry, no, I meant that mini-boss in the Undead Parish or whatever. With the tower shield and the mace.

This guy isn't really so bad. Fight very carefully, backing up when he attacks and running in for two or three hits before jumping back away from him. He's too slow to hit you reliably as long as you don't get greedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Sorry, no, I meant that mini-boss in the Undead Parish or whatever. With the tower shield and the mace.

His attacks are slow and easy to see coming, even if you aren't doing much damage it shouldn't be too hard to take him down. I just rolled out of the way and jump attacked before he recovered. Didn't take long with the Drake sword.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Funkmaster General posted:

Wait, so the conveyor belt isn't leading me to the bell? Where am I supposed to be going then?

Also, gently caress those fat things forever and ever. How do you even poison a club in the first place?

The bell is even further down. Coming from the conveyor belt look right and you'll see a mountain of sand, branches, spiderwebs. That is your destination, but watch out for the guys throwing boulders at you. Just follow the path, fight the boss and you'll get to the bell.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Protip for the undead parish; when those rapier knights hold their rapier up and in front of them, they will automatically parry any attack you hit them with and probably one-shot riposte you. However, they can't parry a leaping heavy attack. Enjoy.

Also, you should probably always go through the forest before you hit up blighttown. That place is poison/toxic central, and the tree-dudes in the forest drop curing items.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

Wait, so the conveyor belt isn't leading me to the bell? Where am I supposed to be going then?

Also, gently caress those fat things forever and ever. How do you even poison a club in the first place?

Nope, the bell is down there, but the conveyor does actually lead back up to Small rondo ruin right by the Ritual bonfire spot....

Also, you can get one of them poison clubs. :3:

Vanguard Warden posted:

Protip for the undead parish; when those rapier knights hold their rapier up and in front of them, they will automatically parry any attack you hit them with and probably one-shot riposte you. However, they can't parry a leaping heavy attack. Enjoy.

Also, you should probably always go through the forest before you hit up blighttown. That place is poison/toxic central, and the tree-dudes in the forest drop curing items.

They never riposte my two-hand lunge, I think if the attack is too heavy they can't parry (as we can't)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

A Total Melvin posted:

Thanks!

Beat it and got my 6 Humanities back :)

Spend that poo poo, any "soft" (not an item) humanity you have gets lost on death. And the only way you spend it that I know of at least is reviving human, kindling fires, and getting curses cured in the new londo ruins. If I kill an enemy that gives soft humanity, I revive once I pass a bonfire.

I asked a few pages ago but never got an answer, does anyone know what the enchanted, occult, and chaos weapon enchants do? I'm trying to figure out what upgrade path to run on some weapons that I have.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
hahah never mind i switched to a halberd +1 and was hitting for like 100 damage, problem solved :D

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Is the special roll worth getting 20 Dexterity for? I'm trying to weigh in the benefits. I only have 12 Dexterity, though and the points can go into other things like Intelligence. Thoughts?

Oh and I ask this this earlier but got no answer: do the enemies in the forest (unlocked by the symbol you buy at the blacksmith) drop anything good? I've just been letting them fall to their death

There is no special roll. I bumped my dex to 36 and my rolling is exactly the same as it was when I started. No flips, no extra speed, no matter what I'm wearing. Which is a huge bummer because I would rather have put a lot of those points into vitality.

Those enemies haven't dropped anything but souls for me, and I've killed them all normally several times. They may have the potential to drop something, but it certainly isn't a sure thing.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Sometimes I start with more than 10 Estus flasks, anybody know why? I thought it might be from people + rating my messages but I checked and they are all at 0.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Traxis posted:

Sometimes I start with more than 10 Estus flasks, anybody know why? I though it might be from people + rating my messages but I checked and they are all at 0.

Someone kindled the last bonfire you used, everytime that happens, you get +1 Estus

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
I'd like to go palling around with the sun knight for boss fights but I am paranoid about him having bad AI / a glass jaw / a death wish and getting himself killed willy-nilly; can he actually hold his own and survive decently or is it another Inception layer of nightmarish Dark Souls trying to make use of him to keep his storyline progressing?

Did end up liking Knight more than Thief, I guess heavy armor + shield is just in my blood; is the shield the hollow spearmen can drop better than the Knight Shield? Should I bother to upgrade my starting broadsword at the smith? Can you use the halberd or a spear with a shield, or is it just the winged spear?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Can you only summon/be summoned if you're at a similar level to others? Because I've been wanting to get buff and then help people out with some of the tougher earlier bosses, but now that I'm buff no one seems to be biting.

Sidenote, covetous serpent ring owns, +200 item discovery, drat.

A Total Melvin
Mar 13, 2006

IT'S DANGEROUS TO GO ALONE, TAKE THIS.

DeathSandwich posted:

Spend that poo poo, any "soft" (not an item) humanity you have gets lost on death. And the only way you spend it that I know of at least is reviving human, kindling fires, and getting curses cured in the new londo ruins. If I kill an enemy that gives soft humanity, I revive once I pass a bonfire.

Kind of too late, I wasn't being careful and I lost them after dying trying to get them back. I guess I have to learn the hard way. :(

Still having a blast! Loving this game.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Traxis posted:

Sometimes I start with more than 10 Estus flasks, anybody know why? I though it might be from people + rating my messages but I checked and they are all at 0.

The bonfire you're at has been kindled by you or lots of people in your area.

Also, if you happen to be having lots of trouble with the Capra Demon go up the stairs and hug the wall all the way right. That thing can't hit you and you can plunge attack for mad points.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
I really love how they made placing messages cost some souls. There are so many more useful messages and none of the spammy stuff. Did they also change the reward you get from votes on your msgs?

Also what do I do with the code thing I got emailed from completng that prepare to die webstite puzzle thing?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Cicadas! posted:

Can you only summon/be summoned if you're at a similar level to others? Because I've been wanting to get buff and then help people out with some of the tougher earlier bosses, but now that I'm buff no one seems to be biting.

Sidenote, covetous serpent ring owns, +200 item discovery, drat.

If it's anything like Demon's Souls yes, you have to be in a certain level range.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

How do you even poison a club in the first place?

You know those dung pies you sometimes loot off the fatties? Yeah.

Stumpus Maximus
Dec 15, 2007

Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
So I just beat the Minotaur miniboss in the Undead Burg. Does he not have a drop? He just disappeared and there was nothing. The only reason I wonder is because he was next to a wall and I thought maybe there could have been a clipping problem or something. Anyone know?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

At first I thought those guys where special sub bosses (like the knight with the big bone sword) and I was so happy when I killed the first one. Then he gave me like 200 souls and a turd.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
I noticed there was a corpse (with an item) on top of the domed structure in which the Way of the White NPC, at Firelink shrine, is standing. You can see it from the Parish to Firelink elevator area.

I can't figure out how to get up there. Anyone know?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Stumpus Maximus posted:

So I just beat the Minotaur miniboss in the Undead Burg. Does he not have a drop? He just disappeared and there was nothing. The only reason I wonder is because he was next to a wall and I thought maybe there could have been a clipping problem or something. Anyone know?

The drops he has are random chance so you probably didn't get one. They are fairly rare.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I just wish you could rate messages without buying it. No one ever seems to rate messages, likely because the majority of people didn't buy/find the orange stone.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Smelly posted:

If it's anything like Demon's Souls yes, you have to be in a certain level range.

Aw man, that stinks. Oh well, I guess it makes sense. It would make it a bit too easy if you could just get someone else to mop the floor with them.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Vanguard Warden posted:

I just wish you could rate messages without buying it. No one ever seems to rate messages, likely because the majority of people didn't buy/find the orange stone.

I wish you could rate messages without having to dig out your orange stone. I can't be bothered to rate messages most of the time because of that.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I saw on last page, to summon someone you have to be human AND have an 01 in humanity. Mine is just 00. :(

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Vargs posted:

There is no special roll. I bumped my dex to 36 and my rolling is exactly the same as it was when I started. No flips, no extra speed, no matter what I'm wearing. Which is a huge bummer because I would rather have put a lot of those points into vitality.

Those enemies haven't dropped anything but souls for me, and I've killed them all normally several times. They may have the potential to drop something, but it certainly isn't a sure thing.
There absolutely is a special flip, you have to have decently high endurance and dexterity from my understanding in order to be able to do it. It is the same flips you see with the assassins in the lower burbs.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

You only need to be not hollowed. If the 00 in the upper left is white instead of grey, you can see any signs people have left down.

DeathSandwich posted:

There absolutely is a special flip, you have to have decently high endurance and dexterity from my understanding in order to be able to do it. It is the same flips you see with the assassins in the lower burbs.

There's a ring that drops off a guy in the forest that does that.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

der juicen posted:

I saw on last page, to summon someone you have to be human AND have an 01 in humanity. Mine is just 00. :(

Nope, not at all, blatant lie, I pop a humanity to summon all the time. Unless they changed the English version requirements, no, you don't need an extra humanity....

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Can anyone tell me how to use a boss soul for the purposes of weapon forging? I'm trying to make The Blade of Chaos from a iaito+10 using the soul of quelag.

As best as I can tell I've got the mats and weapon all lined up. Do I need to go to a smith? Do I just use the item? I'm just worried about using it for souls on accident.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

Vargs posted:

There is no special roll. I bumped my dex to 36 and my rolling is exactly the same as it was when I started. No flips, no extra speed, no matter what I'm wearing. Which is a huge bummer because I would rather have put a lot of those points into vitality...

Are there any other benefits to having a high dex? Does it add extra damage to dex based weapons or anything? I was planning on playing an agile character and this may change how much I actually bump his dex up (I was thinking about capping at 30, maybe I should only go to 24 or something?)

MMania
May 7, 2008
So if anyone's wondering what's past those sealed yellow fog gates, I'll fill you in. Pain is behind those. There is a boss where you will wish you had as much room to maneuver as you did in the fight with the Capra Demon. That dragon guarding the bridge? You will think back on him with fondness once you meet up with his big brothers. Innocuous looking enemies will withstand strikes that would stagger a black knight, take off half your HP in a single blow, and come in packs.

What's behind those gates? The real Dark Souls.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

MMania posted:

So if anyone's wondering what's past those sealed yellow fog gates, I'll fill you in. Pain is behind those. There is a boss where you will wish you had as much room to maneuver as you did in the fight with the Capra Demon. That dragon guarding the bridge? You will think back on him with fondness once you meet up with his big brothers. Innocuous looking enemies will withstand strikes that would stagger a black knight, take off half your HP in a single blow, and come in packs.

What's behind those gates? The real Dark Souls.

:stare:

This is good to know..

I'm going to charge in and die in a blaze of glory. :black101:

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
drat this thread moves fast; regarding Dex and mobility, at least according to the guide your maneuverability and speed is essentially a direct correlation of your endurance / carry capacity vs. your actual equipment burden. If your equipment is 75% of your carry capacity, you are super slow and can't roll--at 50%, you are slower and your rolling is not so hot. At 25%, you're only a little slow and your rolling is decent--and at 0%, you're as fast and maneuverable as you can possibly be. I didn't see anywhere that Dex actually influenced maneuverability.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Zebrasectomy posted:

Are there any other benefits to having a high dex? Does it add extra damage to dex based weapons or anything? I was planning on playing an agile character and this may change how much I actually bump his dex up (I was thinking about capping at 30, maybe I should only go to 24 or something?)
Weapons traditionally having a scaler rating for a bunch of particular stats, you can see them in the weapon info. Dexterity is on there and several weapons benefit more from dexterity than strength and vice versia.

Scimitars and Bows are particularly dex heavy in my experience. I'm sure there's a lot more though.

That's too bad the special roll is item related and not dex related.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 6, 2011

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Vanguard Warden posted:

There's a ring that drops off a guy in the forest that does that.

Yes, this is correct. Getting high dex/endurance to do flips is a myth. You can only do it via the ring.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Can I get humanity from things if I dump them off a cliff or do I have to pillage their corpse?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
can i summon white knight dude to help me with the gargoyles? how?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So I killed the Gaping Dragon and got the key to Blight Town at the bottom of the sewers.

I heard there was a hellish firery area in the game and I was excited, so I started heading down into the eerie green light and lo and behold: It's World 5 all loving over again. Poison everywhere. Little black demons that can inject you with high amounts of poison and ignore your shield.

Don't go past the sewers into Blighttown without some serious poison resistance and lots of poison curing items, most of which you can easily collect in the Garden/Forest area.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Nigulus Rex posted:

Can I get humanity from things if I dump them off a cliff or do I have to pillage their corpse?

Sometimes humanity isn't in solid form and you'll just get it after the kill. Most times you have to loot it from the corpse.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

can i summon white knight dude to help me with the gargoyles? how?

Be in body form, look for his soul sign right before the fog wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
It feels really good when you come up against the big skeleton knights in the undead parish, beat your head against them for a while thinking they're impossible and manage to beat them a good few times. the black knight and the undead cardinal looked unbeatable to me. When I attacked them and saw I actually did damage it clicks and you go "yeah..I could actually beat this guy" until he fakes you out and does a double attack :stare:

• Locked thread