Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Also, it seems From Software really learned from Demon Souls and scale Souls/difficulty correctly now.

The enemies in DS were all over the place, world 4 had difficult but rewarding enemies while world 5 had incredibly annoying enemies that offered tiny amounts of souls. Now the difficulty curve is a very nice slope instead of a rocky road, you can feel the enemies getting tougher the further you explore.

God this game is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

qbert posted:

Yes, this is correct. Getting high dex/endurance to do flips is a myth. You can only do it via the ring.

Along these lines, I'm not seeing any evidence that strength increases swing speed. It doesn't say anything about it in the guide, and the only thing about it on the wiki is unconfirmed.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Augh. Phantomed for a guy fighting the gargoyle. I was doing enough damage with my claymore that I managed to chop off the tail and kill the first one before the second one made it across the roof to us. Then I got caught in fire and died because the game doesn't let you swap between two-handed/sword and shield when you have no stamina. I've been robbed.

At least I know the guy finished the fight fine without me. I heard the bell ring shortly after. :unsmith:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Vanguard Warden posted:

Augh. Phantomed for a guy fighting the gargoyle. I was doing enough damage with my claymore that I managed to chop off the tail and kill the first one before the second one made it across the roof to us. Then I got caught in fire and died because the game doesn't let you swap between two-handed/sword and shield when you have no stamina. I've been robbed.

At least I know the guy finished the fight fine without me. I heard the bell ring shortly after. :unsmith:

Seriously, helping some random guy and then hearing the bell is a really :3: moment. I absolutely love it!

You're welcome random dude, pass it on. :patriot:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

So I'm browsing through the guide, and a few things I'm reading in there seem to contradict things I've read in this thread. The two that stick out are:

1) NG+ - Someone earlier said that enemies do not power-up in NG+, while the guide says they'll power-up up to seven times if you keep restarting with the same character.

2) - I read in here that if you miss a crystal lizard, it'll respawn the next time you rest. The guide says the opposite.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

So I'm browsing through the guide, and a few things I'm reading in there seem to contradict things I've read in this thread. The two that stick out are:

1) NG+ - Someone earlier said that enemies do not power-up in NG+, while the guide says they'll power-up up to seven times if you keep restarting with the same character.

2) - I read in here that if you miss a crystal lizard, it'll respawn the next time you rest. The guide says the opposite.

There's crystal lizards? I haven't seen a single one, I rang the first bell and just beat the Gaping Dragon and not a one.

Also, I saw someone playing through NG+. Maybe he was just tremendously overgeared but the asylum demon died in like four strikes from him and couldn't even take off a bar of his health.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

qbert posted:

Yes, this is correct. Getting high dex/endurance to do flips is a myth. You can only do it via the ring.

That explains it. I stopped at 12 Dexterity for the Short Bow and I think I'll keep it there. I got 20 strength, though, just in case I find a good sword later on to use.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

Bobnumerotres posted:

There's crystal lizards? I haven't seen a single one, I rang the first bell and just beat the Gaping Dragon and not a one.

Also, I saw someone playing through NG+. Maybe he was just tremendously overgeared but the asylum demon died in like four strikes from him and couldn't even take off a bar of his health.

The lizards? mostly hidden and sparse now. Makes up for them re spawning though, And they're noticeably easier to kill.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

Also, it seems From Software really learned from Demon Souls and scale Souls/difficulty correctly now.

The enemies in DS were all over the place, world 4 had difficult but rewarding enemies while world 5 had incredibly annoying enemies that offered tiny amounts of souls. Now the difficulty curve is a very nice slope instead of a rocky road, you can feel the enemies getting tougher the further you explore.

God this game is perfect.

Yeah, it's nice. There are a few exceptions, like the Rapier Knights in the Parish giving the same amount as the Darkroot Scrub Shrubs. Nothing like the discrepancy between world 4 and world 5 though, that was kinda ridiculous.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Lizards definitely come back. I've only found two (one in a barrel before the bull demon, one on the forest path leading down to the basin), but I missed both of them the first time I found them on my first character. I just hit up a bonfire, came back and killed them after I knew where they were.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Bobnumerotres posted:

NG+ ramps up considerably after the tutorial.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
loving gargoyles killed me again

knight solaire why do you suck so much

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

MMania posted:

So if anyone's wondering what's past those sealed yellow fog gates, I'll fill you in. Pain is behind those. There is a boss where you will wish you had as much room to maneuver as you did in the fight with the Capra Demon. That dragon guarding the bridge? You will think back on him with fondness once you meet up with his big brothers. Innocuous looking enemies will withstand strikes that would stagger a black knight, take off half your HP in a single blow, and come in packs.

What's behind those gates? The real Dark Souls.

Could you spoil it for me? I can't find it anywhere. Also I hear there (major spoiler)are areas where early bosses are regular enemies

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

skinny white boy posted:

The bonfire you're at has been kindled by you or lots of people in your area.

Also, if you happen to be having lots of trouble with the Capra Demon go up the stairs and hug the wall all the way right. That thing can't hit you and you can plunge attack for mad points.

This should be in the OP I just read this tried it got him first try, once the dogs are dead this is the easiest way to kill him in four hits, THANK YOU!!!

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Just to provide my data: At 9 humanity human-form I had 155 item discovery. At 10 humanity human-form I had 159. So if it's a linear scale, each point of humanity you have on you is worth 4 item discovery. I'll update if I get another boss fight in.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Wang posted:

This should be in the OP I just read this tried it got him first try, once the dogs are dead this is the easiest way to kill him in four hits, THANK YOU!!!

Honestly the hardest part of this fight is surviving the first 2 seconds and killing the dogs. He's pretty easy 1v1.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I've been sitting here at work comparing dark souls to demon souls. Is it just me or does it seem like the bigger weapons in general are a whole lot riskier to use? Between more enemies actively dodging you and countering you and generally being faster it feels like quick weapons just work better. That and it feels like large weapons take significantly longer to start and finish swinging in this game Compared to demon souls at least to my minds eye. In demon souls I've played most of the game swinging around an oversized meat cleaver and had no problems, even on the hard/fast bosses like flamelurker and maneater and false king. I got a cleaver axe that I upgraded in this game and I can't even stand to use it because is way too slow and doesn't do an appreciaby larger amount of damage than my astora's long sword. Maybe when I get it some elemental properties it'll act better, but for now its just going to suit in my inventory.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Ughh, finally beat Capra but fell into a pit of frogs who cursed me. I have no idea where New Londo is. What can I do to uncurse myself besides going there?

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 6, 2011

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I hope some nice souls want to be summoned in a little bit for the gargs. :( I never see signs.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Boosh! posted:

Ughh, finally beat Capra but fell into a pit of frogs who cursed me. I have no idea where New Londo is. What can I do to uncurse myself besides going there?

The NPC in the bell tower can sell you an item to lift the curse.

Edit: List is not lift :downs:

Draven fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 6, 2011

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
Not great but w/e you get the fuckin' idea.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Vanguard Warden posted:

Just to provide my data: At 9 humanity human-form I had 155 item discovery. At 10 humanity human-form I had 159. So if it's a linear scale, each point of humanity you have on you is worth 4 item discovery. I'll update if I get another boss fight in.

I'm pretty sure it's not linear. That said, at 12 while hollowed I have 168. I think there is something else at play here affecting how much item discovery each humanity gives you. Maybe the attunement stat which one of the Wikis listed as upping your item discovery.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

qbert posted:

gently caress. At least Spears are dex oriented I guess :smith:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Smelly posted:

The NPC in the bell tower can sell you an item to list the curse.

Also, the merchant in the aquaduct shortcut from firelink to the lower burg sells them.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Boosh! posted:

Ughh, finally beat Capra but fell into a pit of frogs who cursed me. I have no idea where New Londo is.

Below the bonfire in the fire shrine there is an elevator to it. Have fun.

If you don't want to go there there is an entry in the OP for you.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
Bored at work and trying to figure out how I'm going to build my character. Decided finally I'm going to start with a thief and aim for an agile build that can do some decent damage.

I'm thinking about getting all my stats to about 16 (excluding int/faith. 'Just want to be to use a couple healing/buff spells.), and then dumping everything else into vit/end so I can bounce around like an idiot and take some abuse, dropping extra points into dex or str to meet gear limitations. Is this a bad plan?

Also, for some reason I completely overlooked the Resistance stat. I'm guessing I can't go through the game without putting any points into that?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

evilalien posted:

I'm pretty sure it's not linear. That said, at 12 while hollowed I have 168. I think there is something else at play here affecting how much item discovery each humanity gives you. Maybe the attunement stat which one of the Wikis listed as upping your item discovery.

It's not a linear scale. First point gives you 25, second gives you 5, before long you're getting 2 or 1 points per invested Humanity. Attunement only affects the number of spells you can equip.

Buy the Future Press guidebook, dudes. It's AMAZING. Did you know that if you follow a certain Covenant you get a non-consumable Red Eye Orb that DOESN'T WARN PEOPLE THEY'VE BEEN INVADED?!?!?!? Jesus.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

Below the bonfire in the fire shrine there is an elevator to it. Have fun.

If you don't want to go there there is an entry in the OP for you.

Yeah, I love the solution to curse. You have 1/2 health, now if you want to get rid of it simply go through a gauntlet of creepy loving ghosts with daggers.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's kind of funny how much this has in common with Demon's Souls. Same interface, mostly the same gameplay rules, same art style, similar "YOU ARE DEAD" message, hell, even the same voice acting.

It's like From Software is playing a game of "how close can we make this to our previous game without technically infringing on the IP that belongs to Sony?"

"Ha! You can't sue! Our title is clearly different than the last game!"

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Got lucky and found a copy of this game in a Redbox Kiosk.

It's like they took everything that was great about Demon Soul's, tightened it up, made a lot of the mechanics less opaque, and then put it in an incredibly awesome open world. I'm loving every second of it. From Software: Greatest Video Game company ever.

Quick question: near the end of the tutorial there was a talking bird that asked for something warm and soft, like the bird in Demon Souls asked for things. Any idea what I could have traded with and for there?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

evilalien posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. My attunement is 11 in both cases too.

der juicen posted:

I hope some nice souls want to be summoned in a little bit for the gargs. :( I never see signs.

I'm am literally sitting here waiting for people to summon me. My sign is just inside the door of the church side entrance, by the blacksmith. SL 16, Xbox.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

DOESN'T WARN PEOPLE THEY'VE BEEN INVADED?!?!?!?

:neckbeard:

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 6, 2011

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm getting continuously raped by the skeletons right outside the first area you get to after getting off the tutorial island. Is there another way I should be going or is this pretty much how the whole game's going to be? The respawning enemies makes me want to claw my eyes out.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
The Prowling demon was kind of annoying but once I figured out how to stay by his non weapon hand I laid into him. It's a shame he wasn't a real boss encounter.

Also..Is 20 endurance enough? I want to get strength to like 45-50 for the ridiculous end items, and I have 20 endurance (and vit) and planned on keeping them there for now.

explosivo posted:

I'm getting continuously raped by the skeletons right outside the first area you get to after getting off the tutorial island. Is there another way I should be going or is this pretty much how the whole game's going to be? The respawning enemies makes me want to claw my eyes out.

Yeah go right and up the hill instead of left and into the graveyard.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

RickVoid posted:

Got lucky and found a copy of this game in a Redbox Kiosk.

It's like they took everything that was great about Demon Soul's, tightened it up, made a lot of the mechanics less opaque, and then put it in an incredibly awesome open world. I'm loving every second of it. From Software: Greatest Video Game company ever.

Can't wait for the breakdown that's going to follow this post. :v:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
does upgrading shields do anything? :smith: hope i didn't waste that titanite...

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

does upgrading shields do anything? :smith: hope i didn't waste that titanite...

Titanite is only 800 souls at a blacksmith so you can get more easily.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
From Software made Metal Wolf Chaos which, no joke, is one of the best satires of American scare- and war-mongering I've ever seen in my life.

Also ChromeHounds.

Good job, From Software.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's not a linear scale. First point gives you 25, second gives you 5, before long you're getting 2 or 1 points per invested Humanity. Attunement only affects the number of spells you can equip.

At 13 I have 172 so I think it just bottoms out at 4 per humanity.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Upgrading shields is very worthwhile. It increases the stability attribute which decreases the amount of stamina used to block attacks and makes you less likely to get guard broken.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Is grinding frowned upon? I passed on the Drake Sword because it seemed like it made the game too easy, but I want to get my armor up to +1 before I go any further. :[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

It definitely increases their stability. It also increases damage which is by far the pro-est shield stat.

• Locked thread