Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Read
Dec 21, 2010

Currently in New Londo, just drained the water, SL 78 PS3. If anyone wants an assist or wants to assist me for some souls, lemme know in the next 30 minutes (for assisting me) or whenever if you need an assist.

e: I know I'm overleveled but I want 50 INT for WDB )):.

ee: Smashed their faces in w/ my Moonlight Greatsword +5 and some CSM / CSS, mostly the sword. 4 Kings are probably the 2nd easiest boss after pinwheel, -spam R1/R2/Anything At All- -drink once in a while- -win-.

Now at SL 80, 23 Vit, 22 End, 50 Int, 4 Attunement slots, base rest. Gonna be 115 by the time I have 40 Vit/End, then I guess I'll dump another 5 into Vit or maybe get 1 more attunement slot.

Read fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

SixtySix posted:

He might have summoned someone for insurance against getting ganked himself. Kiln is usually 1v1 duels, though.

So if someone summons you you're just supposed to watch them fight invaders? I don't get it. Why would he summon me if he didn't need my help and had nothing for me to do?

I've done a fair amount of sunbroing in kiln and most of the time if someone invades the host and his bodyguards all go after the invader, I had no idea Kiln was supposed to be reserved for dueling.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

It kinda sucks that the Moonlight Greatsword +5 with 50 INT (the scaling dropoff point is 50) does less damage than a +1 Lightning Zweihander :|.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Gilgameshback posted:

So if someone summons you you're just supposed to watch them fight invaders? I don't get it. Why would he summon me if he didn't need my help and had nothing for me to do?

I've done a fair amount of sunbroing in kiln and most of the time if someone invades the host and his bodyguards all go after the invader, I had no idea Kiln was supposed to be reserved for dueling.

Sometimes you take turns? v:shobon:v Ganging up on wraiths is legit when you're just trying to get through the level, but ganking while you are specifically looking for PVP is kinda weak.

That being said, sometimes when you are hosting summoning help is necessary to make sure YOU aren't ganged up on. You'll get souls for assisting either way, and you can praise the sun and all that poo poo while you spectate!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Making a new character is hilariously easy. I'm mowing through poo poo without an effort, because I'm so used to backstabbing everything in sight at this point. Time to learn how to parry/riposte better, so I'm rolling with a thief for now. My plan is to make a beeline for the drake sword and then the flip ring, any reason not to do this? I'll eventually go with a dex build I believe, using the iato or uchigana, and then throw in some miracles on the side (maybe)

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Read posted:

It kinda sucks that the Moonlight Greatsword +5 with 50 INT (the scaling dropoff point is 50) does less damage than a +1 Lightning Zweihander :|.

It's still a really good weapon, especially due to its different moveset.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Fiction posted:

It's still a really good weapon, especially due to its different moveset.

Yeah, I really like it either way :).

vv: I know that it's balanced because of the difference in movesets / damage splitting, but it still seems silly that the Zwei has so much raw power.

Read fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 24, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Read posted:

On paper maybe. Try comparing those two against NG+ foes with their higher armors and also against PvP guys in giant's gear.

Gilgameshback posted:

Sometimes yes. If you're doing PvP as a host you should normally summon people and let them fight the invaders mano-a-mano. If you get two invaders that will break down so the minute someone else shows up you start ganking. I usually let the invader heal after he slays my summon before he fights me as well (if he wants to).

It's still usually the case that if you invade everybody and their buddy will come after you. That's fine if they're trying to kill the boss, but if they're just sitting there idle waiting for invaders and then gangbanging them it's a bit stupid. I mean, it's not a bad way to farm souls so if that's what they're doing then okay, but if they're doing that for fun they're probably mental midgets.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 24, 2012

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Gentlemen, please. I think we can all agree that everyone has to play Dark Souls multiplayer the way I imagine that they should.

Actually the responses to my question have clarified a lot. I can understand that it might be fun having 1 on 1 duels with invaders, with bros to back you up if you get invaded twice. However, every time I have ever invaded anyone with summons it has been an immediate two or three on one murder-fest. So I didn't really expect to encounter any PVP rules or customs other than "kill everyone."

RushMix
May 16, 2007
How many HP regen items/spells are there?

Would it be viable to make a PvP/PvE build based around regenerating shittons of health?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

RushMix posted:

How many HP regen items/spells are there?

Would it be viable to make a PvP/PvE build based around regenerating shittons of health?

Three. The Sanctus (2HP / 2 Sec), Smough's Hammer (+some HP per hit) and the Server (+some HP per hit). The Ring of the Evil Eye also gives you 30 HP / kill. No it isn't really viable, sorry ):.

e: Also Smough's Hammer is terrible and almost made me quit my Smough gimmick without finishing the game.

Read fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 24, 2012

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Read posted:

Three. The Sanctus (2HP / 2 Sec), Smough's Hammer (+some HP per hit) and the Server (+some HP per hit). The Ring of the Evil Eye also gives you 30 HP / kill. No it isn't really viable, sorry ):.

e: Also Smough's Hammer is terrible and almost made me quit my Smough gimmick without finishing the game.

There is also Regeneration and Soothing Sunlight if you're into miracles.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I wish FROM would make an Armored Core game in the same style as the Souls games. I'd cum until I died.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Chard posted:

I wish FROM would make an Armored Core game in the same style as the Souls games. I'd cum until I died.
And if it is like the Souls games, that's where the game would begin.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

People who invade a player less than 30 or so are just trolling newbies, aren't they. :(

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Uchigatana is a good weapon, comparable to the Iaito but with an R2 stab that (in my opinion) is better than just a stronger hit of the same type. You'll of course want some dex to go with it since upgrading it to +15 will rely heavily on scaling damage, but it shouldn't be a problem.

You're one of the few people I've seen compare the Uchi favorably to the Iaito and I agree, the lunge on it is a nice alternate attack which gives you some real reach and occasionally surprises someone in PVP.

It requires a bit more investment (Dex) than an elemental weapon to be amazing, but it's a very solid choice that swings fast, can overwhelm enemies with rapid strikes, and inflicts bleed, which hurts even people who have really pumped Vit.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ledneh posted:

People who invade a player less than 30 or so are just trolling newbies, aren't they. :(

Yeah.

My next character is going to be a SL11 burg invader. Hornet and flip rings, 55 poise (maybe), lit rapier and shotel...

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

That Rough Beast posted:

You're one of the few people I've seen compare the Uchi favorably to the Iaito and I agree, the lunge on it is a nice alternate attack which gives you some real reach and occasionally surprises someone in PVP.

They're both good. The R2 swing on the iaito is good for working against people trying to dead angle you or circle for a backstab, mostly from how fast it is. On my faster weapons I also generally prefer a lunge, but I didn't kill anyone for my uchi so it was a long time coming; the Iaito is free and accessible fairly early, which I think is why so many people are fond of it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm still having trouble deciding between lightning Claymore and Zweihander. I like the Claymore moveset more but the Zweihander is so wonderfully thunky. :(

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ledneh posted:

I'm still having trouble deciding between lightning Claymore and Zweihander. I like the Claymore moveset more but the Zweihander is so wonderfully thunky. :(

Why not use both? I used both! Well, technically the Black Knight Sword (which is the Claymore with better stats and worthless Strong attacks) for PvM and the Zweihander for PvP.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

My DGM +10 killed the Iron Golem in six hits :stare:

Does upgrading the Grass Crest Shield upgrade the stamina recovery?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Uggh, how long do people normally wait for the white soapstone summon sign to yield benefits? I'm SL13 trying to get my sunbro on at the bell gargoyles, should I just hoof it down to Capra and summon there?

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Welp. Had my first case of a PvP grief. Take on some guy who is turtling hardcore, using a spear and a shield exclusively as he runs around the level plinking at me. I eventually whittle him down, he heals up, I wrath of god him for an initial boom, then get a back stab while he keeps turtling since he doesn't seem to understand how immobile it left him.

"You have been disconnected from hosts world" pops up right as he falls to the floor after my backstab.

That was the last Souvenir of Reprisal I needed you jerk. :saddowns:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Uggh, how long do people normally wait for the white soapstone summon sign to yield benefits? I'm SL13 trying to get my sunbro on at the bell gargoyles, should I just hoof it down to Capra and summon there?

A lot of people are out of your level range. You also want to put your sign in front of the church entrance, not in front of the boss door.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Here's a :darksouls:moment: I just lost 100k in the Depths in NG+ during my large ember trip. First, I got caught beneath a staircase by the channeler and his rats. No biggie though, this is an early area and I'm probably over-leveled (I'm trying to find covenants before O+S and hadn't been through Depths).

But on my run back I took a wrong turn, plummeted down a shaft in one of the tunnels, and ended up with the curse frogs. I played it cool and made my way back up to the bonfire which I hadn't been to in this play-through. Stood there for a second, thought "nahhh I've already cleared the top butcher room and I need to go back there," and set off down the slime hallway.

That torch-wielding undead came down the hall, unexpectedly opened with the multi-hit charge move, and killed me instantly.

Oh well, at least I got the ember.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Does upgrading the Grass Crest Shield upgrade the stamina recovery?

Nope!

That Rough Beast posted:

It requires a bit more investment (Dex) than an elemental weapon to be amazing, but it's a very solid choice that swings fast, can overwhelm enemies with rapid strikes, and inflicts bleed, which hurts even people who have really pumped Vit.

Thrust Damage is usually better than Slashing Damage as well, heavy armor has less resistance to stabby weapons. The Physical damage types basically go: Striking > Thrusting > Slashing.

f#a# posted:

Here's a :darksouls:moment: I just lost 100k in the Depths in NG+ during my large ember trip. First, I got caught beneath a staircase by the channeler and his rats. No biggie though, this is an early area and I'm probably over-leveled (I'm trying to find covenants before O+S and hadn't been through Depths).

But on my run back I took a wrong turn, plummeted down a shaft in one of the tunnels, and ended up with the curse frogs. I played it cool and made my way back up to the bonfire which I hadn't been to in this play-through. Stood there for a second, thought "nahhh I've already cleared the top butcher room and I need to go back there," and set off down the slime hallway.

That torch-wielding undead came down the hall, unexpectedly opened with the multi-hit charge move, and killed me instantly.

Oh well, at least I got the ember.

Torch dudes are assholes forever basically, their flurry attack is deadly for a looooong time.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Well, I just spent an hour killing teams of people in the Dark Forest with a guy who summoned me. The first 20 minutes had me at less than 10% hp, and my host was conserving his Estus Flasks with remarkable discipline. I acted as bait, the enemy took it, and he backstabbed.

My first online console game was Resident Evil Outbreak, and Dark Souls achieves perfectly what it set out to do with deliberately limited communication. The dude who summoned me and I developed a great sense of teamwork and strategy all without saying a word. When I summon people to help me fight bosses, it always is a moment of hope in an otherwise punishing game, and I always lament that they disappear right after; you never even get to say thank you.

When Valve says that Half-life 2 was their last single player game, i hope they are looking to Dark Souls as a model. drat, this game is impressive. I had set out to go fight Sif, and instead I spent my entire session dropping summon signs and grinding on the spirits in Dark Forest while waiting for someone to pick me up. It's really impressive how you constantly discover new ways to play the game, even if the fundamentals stay the same. The seamless blend of single player, co-op, and PVP is just amazing.

On an unrelated note, can anyone explain the math behind stats maxing out at 40? I just hit 40 dex, and i'm curious as to why I don't want to take it any further.

Colonel Pancreas fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 24, 2012

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Colonel Pancreas posted:

On an unrelated note, can anyone explain the math behind stats maxing out at 40? I just hit 40 dex, and i'm curious as to why I don't want to take it any further.

I can't give exact numbers, but what it basically amounts to is that every point before 40, you might get 5-6 units of improvement per stat point (just example numbers, not true). After 40, it drops to 1 every other level.

For an example, check the page on Endurance. For examples on how offensive stats affect your damage, check out this handy site full of spreadsheets. Furthermore, stat scaling falling off sharply at 40 encourages the player to specialize in more than one stat/gives you a reason to not feel guilty about spreading your points out.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Colonel Pancreas posted:

Well, I just spent an hour killing teams of people in the Dark Forest with a guy who summoned me. The first 20 minutes had me at less than 10% hp, and my host was conserving his Estus Flasks with remarkable discipline. I acted as bait, the enemy took it, and he backstabbed.

My first online console game was Resident Evil Outbreak, and Dark Souls achieves perfectly what it set out to do with deliberately limited communication. The dude who summoned me and I developed a great sense of teamwork and strategy all without saying a word. When I summon people to help me fight bosses, it always is a moment of hope in an otherwise punishing game, and I always lament that they disappear right after; you never even get to say thank you.

When Valve says that Half-life 2 was their last single player game, i hope they are looking to Dark Souls as a model. drat, this game is impressive. I had set out to go fight Sif, and instead I spent my entire session dropping summon signs and grinding on the spirits in Dark Forest while waiting for someone to pick me up. It's really impressive how you constantly discover new ways to play the game, even if the fundamentals stay the same. The seamless blend of single player, co-op, and PVP is just amazing.

There's a couple of reasons for the 40 threshold. The first is that 40 is the point where you start getting low returns for investing points in a stat, and at 50 it basically drops off a cliff and you get as much for investing 10 points as you used to get for 2 or something like that. Second, stats that have a side benefit cap at 40 or close to it. END stops increasing Stamina at 40 and DEX stops increasing cast speed at 45. There's also nothing that requires having more than 50 in any stat except for Smough's Hammer (which is nothing special).

https://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators

If you play with the calculator you'll see how little you get for increasing stats past 50. Stat scaling actually starts slowing down really early, and you start to see diminishing returns as soon as you pass 10 points or something really low. It just doesn't get so bad that it's a waste of points until around 40-50.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Oh, wow. I just got all the way through New Londo in one sitting (not a very big area, most of the difficulty is just in how goddamn cheap the ghosts are in that one building with the guy in the red robes), then killed the Four Kings for my last Lordvessel soul (Four Kings were remarkably easy, actually, but I ran out of spells on the last one and had to kill him with a spear). And then I got to the Kiln of the First Flame.

Just a few things that come out at me here.
1. Someone invaded me soon after I entered. He was kind of flipping around on a toppled pillar that he clearly wanted me to duel on. I feel like I broke an unwritten rule, though, because my first move, a Crystal Soul Spear with the Crystallization Catalyst, dealt 700-something damage and one-shotted him. I feel bad a lot of the times that happens, but I'm never going to stop because it makes all my PvP victories feel like that scene with the samurai in Indiana Jones.

2. Far as I can tell, Gwyn seems kind of easy if you fight him with multiple people. I thought he was easy period, but then I assisted someone who unfortunately couldn't keep his attention and he basically stunlocked me - would've killed me three times over if the host wasn't really good with Estuses.

3. I haven't actually beaten Gwyn myself yet, but for an endgame the entire Kiln feels surprisingly... somber. I was expecting a Zelda-style endgame that tested all the skills you built up through the game, or at least a big, grand finale duel of the ages against Gwyn. Instead, it's... really reserved, and almost like a funeral march. Which works surprisingly well given the situation--you aren't standing up to an almighty evil, or striking down a fallen hero. You're just putting to an end the age-long failure that has been Gwyn's attempt to link the flames and bring light to the world.

4. Just sort of a side note I realized while I was writing up this post: Am I right in seeing the fact that, of all of Gwyn's knights and allies, Nito was the only one of all of them that at least didn't fail at his job? The Four Kings I think fell to the Darkwraiths, Seath went insane, the Witch of Izalith hosed up and made the Bed of Chaos...

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!

Ledneh posted:

I used the Lightning Zwei for 2 entire playthroughs. On my most recent playthrough, I opted to try both, I made a Lightning Claymore and a Fire Zweihander, both fully upgraded. I like this the best because while the Claymore doesn't quite put out the DPS that the Zwei does, it has a quicker moveset, I can usually get 3 hits off with my stamina bar as opposed to 2 hits with the Zwei and sometimes this is better.

However, 2 hits with the Zwei is about all you need to kill any non-boss enemies. This allows me to switch it up as necessary. The Fire Zwei mostly comes in handy for bosses but I also enjoy using it to pound black knights into the ground for fun and profit.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Cleretic posted:

4. Just sort of a side note I realized while I was writing up this post: Am I right in seeing the fact that, of all of Gwyn's knights and allies, Nito was the only one of all of them that at least didn't fail at his job? The Four Kings I think fell to the Darkwraiths, Seath went insane, the Witch of Izalith hosed up and made the Bed of Chaos...

I think even Nito failed - a few item descriptions imply that Pinwheel usurped his power, though they don't really say what that means. I got the impression that Nito was just sleeping in his coffin for hundreds of years at a time, and that Pinwheel and his clones had sealed Nito in his chamber and taken over the lucrative catacomb business.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Cleretic posted:

Nito had his power stolen by Pinwheel and people are no longer dying properly so not really.

^^^:argh:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Cleretic posted:

I feel like I broke an unwritten rule, though, because my first move, a Crystal Soul Spear with the Crystallization Catalyst, dealt 700-something damage and one-shotted him.

What is your load out with the crystallization catalyst? I've messed aroun with it, and the damage is great, but having to sacrifice castings is a no go. I can make up for it using the Dusk Crown ring, but at 27VIT I'm only at 1000 HP and can't afford to lose half of that. The ring of favor an protection only gets me up to 625, which just isn't enough when you're in NG+ or NG++. The enemies just hit too loving hard.

I'll admit I haven't looked to see I could make up some HP with armor, though. I didn't think there was any stat boosting armor, but I might be wrong.

I'd also love to hear how you took down the 4K so easily. I could barely get off a spell without getting chopped down, even with Beatrice as a distraction.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I've beaten this game three times and I've never taken the long route in Blighttown.

I was taking it today because I've decided to go for the platinum...my god this sucks. I mean it's not Lost Izalith but I sort of expected a World 5 atmosphere from DeS, and I got that, only at 5 frames per second and with fire-breathing loving dogs that destroy me on NG+.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

EC posted:

What is your load out with the crystallization catalyst? I've messed aroun with it, and the damage is great, but having to sacrifice castings is a no go. I can make up for it using the Dusk Crown ring, but at 27VIT I'm only at 1000 HP and can't afford to lose half of that. The ring of favor an protection only gets me up to 625, which just isn't enough when you're in NG+ or NG++. The enemies just hit too loving hard.

I'll admit I haven't looked to see I could make up some HP with armor, though. I didn't think there was any stat boosting armor, but I might be wrong.

I'd also love to hear how you took down the 4K so easily. I could barely get off a spell without getting chopped down, even with Beatrice as a distraction.

First of all, I've got a lot of attunement slots to play with. On an average outing I've got two slots of Great Soul Arrow, and one each of White Dragon Breath, Homing Crystal Soulmass, Crystal Soul Spear, and either regular Homing Soulmass or regular Soul Spear depending on what I know I'll be fighting. My Intelligence is in the 50s, and I'm wearing the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring, so I'm also doing some pretty decent damage per shot (around the 300s with Great Soul Arrow, both types of Soul Spear get over the 1k damage mark). I switch around the other ring slot, but for the Kiln I've put on the Ring of Favor and Protection. Mostly my survivability has been tied to getting really good at dodging and haivng my shield up 90% of the time (It's the Bloodshield, but I don't think that matters). I've been wearing the Black Cleric set you find in the Painted World, for whatever that's worth.

The real key for working with the Crystallizaton Catalyst, though, has actually been the Moonlight Butterfly Horn. It almost entirely scales according to Intelligence, so with it at my side I've got a respectable form of damage output that doesn't take up attunement slots or spell charges. I'm sure the Moonlight Greatsword is good too, but I didn't get it in that fight since the spear just worked so well for me. The Horn has probably been my best friend for the whole game; it extends my usefulness beyond a finite amount of attacks, so a weapon like that is basically a must for Sorcerors.

As for the Four Kings, I'm not sure how I did it. In those kinds of 'infinite arena' fights I'm always in motion anyway, normally moving backwards or in circles (thereby causing slight motion sickness to anybody watching me fight the final boss of Skyward Sword). I reflexively rolled backwards when I saw them winding up to attack, and just fired off all the spells I had from a safe distance. Of course that meant I ran out of good spells by the last King, so by then I had to get a bit daring, and my last coupel shots were with the Horn. (EDIT: If I remember what I heard rightly, the Four Kings might change their combt style depending on how many people are on your side in the fight? I went in solo, maybe try that for a shot.)

Also, what's your Dexterity? Dexterity affects casting time, although for sorceries I think it only affects the speed of the Soul Arrow variants and maybe White Dragon Breath.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 24, 2012

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Those dogs are a bitch using the Gravelord's sword. They attack quicker than I can swing.

Just beat 4K and Seathe again last night, this time on my Str/Int character. I ended up dropping 24 into strength and forgetting about it now that I could use the Gravelord's sword, then upgraded my +10 shield into the Crest of Atorias.

Unfortunatly, that requires 10 strength more than I have, so I suddenly found myself out with a shield. Decided to go to 4K and just dodge all the attacks, was over-weight by a ton of points. Ended up dropping everything but my Elite Knight +8 chest, Ring of Favor/Abyss walker, Grass Crest shield, and Gravelord's Sword.

First two run throughs were pretty bad, Gravelord Sword did damage, but its opening swing is way too slow. After two tries, I swapped out for a +5 Flaming Broadsword, which took longer, but eventually I won out.

Seathe went down easy; no problem. Cut off his tail using a full Elite Knight, Gravelord Sword, Grass crest shield for stamina regen, and Darkroot Grain/Ring of Favor.

---

Got invaded earlier by a Darkmoon Blade; Camoflague is simply the best spell. While they run around looking for you, you simply pretend your a vase and watch them run around in frustation. Eventually ended up breaking my own illusion, and really, the Gravelord's Sword is seriously strong.

The Sword itself can cause toxin, but the strength of the weapon seems hillariously strong. If you two-hand it, Getting in 4-5 hits (Depending on stamina) will either drain somene's stamina comlpetely and get in a few good hits, or outright kill them. The opening swing is pretty slow when 2-handing it, but if the first hit causes a hit, it usually staggers and allows you to dump the rest of your stamina into kicking their rear end. The R2 thrust catches alot of people off guard as well, and even if they are super-tanky, you'll eventually toxin them with enough hits. From there its just a matter of preventing them from equipping and using the blooming moss herb, and you've won.

The only real downside to this sword seems to be its slow opening swing and the fact that it requires Demon Titanite to upgrade. Seriously, gently caress Titanite demons.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Just started this on the recommendation of friends. Still in the undead town; seems the more I play the worse I get. I lose patience and start slashing.

Love how SOLID everything feels though.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Cleretic posted:

First of all, I've got a lot of attunement slots to play with. On an average outing I've got two slots of Great Soul Arrow, and one each of White Dragon Breath, Homing Crystal Soulmass, Crystal Soul Spear, and either regular Homing Soulmass or regular Soul Spear depending on what I know I'll be fighting. My Intelligence is in the 50s, and I'm wearing the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring, so I'm also doing some pretty decent damage per shot (around the 300s with Great Soul Arrow, both types of Soul Spear get over the 1k damage mark). I switch around the other ring slot, but for the Kiln I've put on the Ring of Favor and Protection. Mostly my survivability has been tied to getting really good at dodging and haivng my shield up 90% of the time (It's the Bloodshield, but I don't think that matters). I've been wearing the Black Cleric set you find in the Painted World, for whatever that's worth.

The real key for working with the Crystallizaton Catalyst, though, has actually been the Moonlight Butterfly Horn. It almost entirely scales according to Intelligence, so with it at my side I've got a respectable form of damage output that doesn't take up attunement slots or spell charges. I'm sure the Moonlight Greatsword is good too, but I didn't get it in that fight since the spear just worked so well for me. The Horn has probably been my best friend for the whole game; it extends my usefulness beyond a finite amount of attacks, so a weapon like that is basically a must for Sorcerors.

As for the Four Kings, I'm not sure how I did it. In those kinds of 'infinite arena' fights I'm always in motion anyway, normally moving backwards or in circles (thereby causing slight motion sickness to anybody watching me fight the final boss of Skyward Sword). I reflexively rolled backwards when I saw them winding up to attack, and just fired off all the spells I had from a safe distance. Of course that meant I ran out of good spells by the last King, so by then I had to get a bit daring, and my last coupel shots were with the Horn. (EDIT: If I remember what I heard rightly, the Four Kings might change their combt style depending on how many people are on your side in the fight? I went in solo, maybe try that for a shot.)

Also, what's your Dexterity? Dexterity affects casting time, although for sorceries I think it only affects the speed of the Soul Arrow variants and maybe White Dragon Breath.

We're doing similar stuff, although I'm being a bit more careful (read: scaredy cat) in my build than you are. My INT is at 50, and my ATT is at 28, which along with the Darkmoon Seance ring gives me 8 slots. I usually carry 2 CSS, 2 Homing Crystal Soulmass, 3 SS, and use the remaining slot for whatever seems appropriate at the time. I'm not a huge fan of White Dragon Breath, but lately I've been playing around with the Gravelord miracle and Velka's talisman, as the first requires no faith and the second scales off INT. Decent AOE attack.

I do the shield thing, but taking hits drains my stamina so quickly I've been trying to practice rolling or dodging. It's not an issue in PvE, but for PvP I'm getting killed. I only have 27 END, and I'm thinking about bumping it up. As for my melee weapon, I've been using a +5 chaos great scythe, which has huge range, big swing radius, and nice damage with 10 banked humanity. I just started playing with a +14 great scythe and Crystal Magic Weapon (using TCC on my off hand for the magic adj boost), and it does killer loving damage. The only issue is that I can only cast it once, and the effect is temporary. My DEX is at 18, so without CMW just using the scythe without a buff isn't as effective.

I might need to try the Horn again, I have it but didn't like the moveset when I first tried it so I haven't messed with it since. I've been using the gold-hemmed set for no other reason than it looks cool, and of course the dusk crown to get that 20% damage boost to sorcery. I might need to switch up my armor a bit. For shields I move between a +15 spider or a +15 eagle, depending on the situation.

Are you on the 360? We should run some bosses together sometime. They won't take long with two people wailing on them with CSS, but it'll be fun!

Count Chocula posted:

Just started this on the recommendation of friends. Still in the undead town; seems the more I play the worse I get. I lose patience and start slashing.

I did the same, and it took me 63 hours to get to the midpoint of the game. I scratched that character, and it took me about 10 to reach that same point on a new build. Don't lose patience! The game will reward you for playing well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Count Chocula posted:

Haha yeah, this is the worst game to button mash in. I usually go play something more spaztic when I get in the mood, then come back for careful methodical medieval rear end-whuppin.

• Locked thread