Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

notZaar posted:

Haha yeah, this is the worst game to button mash in. I usually go play something more spaztic when I get in the mood, then come back for careful methodical medieval rear end-whuppin.

Tip: Shoot the dragon's tail! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

EC posted:

We're doing similar stuff, although I'm being a bit more careful (read: scaredy cat) in my build than you are. My INT is at 50, and my ATT is at 28, which along with the Darkmoon Seance ring gives me 8 slots. I usually carry 2 CSS, 2 Homing Crystal Soulmass, 3 SS, and use the remaining slot for whatever seems appropriate at the time. I'm not a huge fan of White Dragon Breath, but lately I've been playing around with the Gravelord miracle and Velka's talisman, as the first requires no faith and the second scales off INT. Decent AOE attack.

I do the shield thing, but taking hits drains my stamina so quickly I've been trying to practice rolling or dodging. It's not an issue in PvE, but for PvP I'm getting killed. I only have 27 END, and I'm thinking about bumping it up. As for my melee weapon, I've been using a +5 chaos great scythe, which has huge range, big swing radius, and nice damage with 10 banked humanity. I just started playing with a +14 great scythe and Crystal Magic Weapon (using TCC on my off hand for the magic adj boost), and it does killer loving damage. The only issue is that I can only cast it once, and the effect is temporary. My DEX is at 18, so without CMW just using the scythe without a buff isn't as effective.

I might need to try the Horn again, I have it but didn't like the moveset when I first tried it so I haven't messed with it since. I've been using the gold-hemmed set for no other reason than it looks cool, and of course the dusk crown to get that 20% damage boost to sorcery. I might need to switch up my armor a bit. For shields I move between a +15 spider or a +15 eagle, depending on the situation.

Are you on the 360? We should run some bosses together sometime. They won't take long with two people wailing on them with CSS, but it'll be fun!

I did the same, and it took me 63 hours to get to the midpoint of the game. I scratched that character, and it took me about 10 to reach that same point on a new build. Don't lose patience! The game will reward you for playing well.

I'm on the PS3, unfortunately, but thanks for the offer!

I'm gonna say the Horn isn't a 'good' weapon, but it's a 'good enough' weapon. You've probably got something more effective than it, but it's a weapon that's fairly easy to get that scales entirely with INT, and doesn't quite require you to be right in the thick of battle, so it's an easy and intuitive choice. I stuck with it simply because any time I tried experimenting I wound up pretty clearly worse than just using the Horn.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Chard posted:

I wish FROM would make an Armored Core game in the same style as the Souls games. I'd cum until I died.

I'm still shocked Dark Souls is from er, From. It's so well-polished that I can't believe it's the same company that made the Armored Core series.

The first Armored Core was brilliant, and so was 2, but there is a lot of garbage along the way, just real low effort stuff.

Their command of atmosphere was often there though. Some of the Raven duels in the first game I still remember for their minimalist, but effective set-pieces.

"I am the breaker of Nine..."

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Can I still summon phantoms for assistance in the garden pop zone after I beat the boss?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Cleretic posted:

I'm on the PS3, unfortunately, but thanks for the offer!

I'm gonna say the Horn isn't a 'good' weapon, but it's a 'good enough' weapon. You've probably got something more effective than it, but it's a weapon that's fairly easy to get that scales entirely with INT, and doesn't quite require you to be right in the thick of battle, so it's an easy and intuitive choice. I stuck with it simply because any time I tried experimenting I wound up pretty clearly worse than just using the Horn.

I just tried it out again while I'm waiting on being summoned, an I remember now why I didn't like it: the damage. Against the silver knights in Anor Londo, it does around 100 points of damage even with the strong attack. I can do 300-400 with the chaos great scythe, depending on banked humanity.

It's too bad the gold-hemmed set can't be reinforced. The witch set is better overall, even with the reduced bleed/poison resist, but it's not NEAR as cool looking.

Aggro Crag
Mar 26, 2010
I'm (re)buying Dark Souls after it got stolen a few months ago, and I'm curious; does the game come patched up to 1.05? I'm in the Navy, and we don't really have access to internet for things like connecting playstations on base. If I ever have to download something bigger than a youtube video, I generally need to get a hotel room.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Aggro Crag posted:

I'm (re)buying Dark Souls after it got stolen a few months ago, and I'm curious; does the game come patched up to 1.05? I'm in the Navy, and we don't really have access to internet for things like connecting playstations on base. If I ever have to download something bigger than a youtube video, I generally need to get a hotel room.

Sadly I don't think it does, although if I remember right looking at when it updated to 1.05 the patch was only around 11M or so? Someone else who knows better might confirm that, but if it's just about bandwidth it's probably way smaller than a lot of youtube videos.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I just hit a dude straight on with a spell while he was flasking, only for the guy to completely ignore it and walk over an backstab me. But, during the 'You Died' message, the dude staggers back and shows 1200 points of damage. All of a sudden I see the 'Target Destroyed' message.

Guess I got your ear, Laggy McLag. :smug:

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Just started a new character as a wizard after getting stuck in a rut on my main. I have no idea what to do with all this humanity! 3 on my person and 11 in my inventory. Also, any tips on preventing command lag? It's starting to get annoying to hit Soul Arrow and then have to hope I don't cast it at an awkward time.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Feed your humanity to the Queelag's sister. She needs it.

:smith:

Edit: To be fair, opening up that shortcut will save you alot of time, plus pyromancy spells.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Red Crown posted:

Just started a new character as a wizard after getting stuck in a rut on my main. I have no idea what to do with all this humanity! 3 on my person and 11 in my inventory. Also, any tips on preventing command lag? It's starting to get annoying to hit Soul Arrow and then have to hope I don't cast it at an awkward time.

The only tip I can really offer about command lag is to just not try to mash too many buttons in a short period of time. I noticed that I would typically get command lag when doing something like trying to mash my Estus Flask and attack/dodge at the same time.

Also Great Chaos Fireball owns.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Umberger posted:

Also Great Chaos Fireball owns.

Eh, it only has a chance to deal about 150 more damage than Great Fireball at the cost of an additional attunement slot.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

This is probably the kind of thing that only happens on the first playthrough. After having farmed 13 gold pine resins I realized that I can't apply them to a lightning weapon.

:ughh:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nuclear Tourist posted:

This is probably the kind of thing that only happens on the first playthrough. After having farmed 13 gold pine resins I realized that I can't apply them to a lightning weapon.

:ughh:

It'll be super useful on NG+ though once you switch over to another enchantable weapon. 40 Dex + Iato + Pine Resin is a horrible, horrible situation for any enemy.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Ok, we'll that's a small comfort I guess. At the moment I just feel a bit resigned after having set out to farm some gold pine resin in order to gently caress up Four Kings.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Ok, we'll that's a small comfort I guess. At the moment I just feel a bit resigned after having set out to farm some gold pine resin in order to gently caress up Four Kings.

Were you buying it or trying to get it to drop? Because buying it shouldn't take you any time at all when you have access to New Londo Wraiths.

For 4 Kings just two hand, wear a stamina regen item, and then cast iron flesh on yourself as you go bananas on their face.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Ugh. I had a field day in NG+ running around firelink draining humanity with my dark hand. I couldn't believe my eyes when I keep grabbing Rhea and she kept feeding me humanity (I think I counted 9 or 10 by the time she stopped).

I then went to try to fight the Hydra and died, and died again before I could get my corpse. :smith: gently caress those water missiles.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Barudak posted:

Were you buying it or trying to get it to drop? Because buying it shouldn't take you any time at all when you have access to New Londo Wraiths.

For 4 Kings just two hand, wear a stamina regen item, and then cast iron flesh on yourself as you go bananas on their face.

I maxed out my item discovery and farmed them off those big mushroom guys in Darkroot Garden.

I'll give them another shot. Got them down to 20-30% health a few times so it doesn't feel completely impossible.

edit: HA! Finally managed to beat them :smug:

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 24, 2012

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I can't be the only one who really hopes that they don't have Havok physics in any sequels. Completely random enemies seem to have the ability to knock you off a cliff.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Red Crown posted:

I can't be the only one who really hopes that they don't have Havok physics in any sequels. Completely random enemies seem to have the ability to knock you off a cliff.
I for one love having corpses in full ragdoll mode get stuck to my foot!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Barudak posted:

Eh, it only has a chance to deal about 150 more damage than Great Fireball at the cost of an additional attunement slot.

It's a useful spell if you can free-aim it though, because of the lava pool it leaves behind. It would be nice if they'd fix the Chaos pyros so they actually scale with Humanity, though.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!

TalonDemonKing posted:

Tip: Shoot the dragon's tail! :eng101:

Speaking of the dragon, any tips for killing it? Seems like no matter how I approach it he just spams the 'charge up and down the bridge spewing fire' move. If I'm by his feet, he either hops up into the air and spews fire downward or jumps to the other side of the bridge and breathes fire toward me. And even though I have 380 fire resist, it instakills me every time. (black iron armor, flame stoneplate ring) The game's tooltips keep saying lightning is good against dragons, so I made a lightning zweihander since blocking seems pointless for this. This is in NG+, by the way. In my NG I tried many times over the course of the game to kill the dragon, and kept dying every time, so I figured I'd try some more now that I have my giant gently caress-off sword, but it doesn't seem to be working. Is the dragon just supposed to be impossible for melee builds to kill?

General strategy I've tried is: first, walk up the stairs from the ladder shortcut to the first undead burg bonfire, have the dragon clear the hollows from the bridge. Shoot an arrow at the dragon to make it fly to bridge, run towards landing spot, start wailing away, then inevitably get instakilled. Any advice?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sable Stormfront posted:

Speaking of the dragon, any tips for killing it? Seems like no matter how I approach it he just spams the 'charge up and down the bridge spewing fire' move. If I'm by his feet, he either hops up into the air and spews fire downward or jumps to the other side of the bridge and breathes fire toward me. And even though I have 380 fire resist, it instakills me every time. (black iron armor, flame stoneplate ring) The game's tooltips keep saying lightning is good against dragons, so I made a lightning zweihander since blocking seems pointless for this. This is in NG+, by the way. In my NG I tried many times over the course of the game to kill the dragon, and kept dying every time, so I figured I'd try some more now that I have my giant gently caress-off sword, but it doesn't seem to be working. Is the dragon just supposed to be impossible for melee builds to kill?

General strategy I've tried is: first, walk up the stairs from the ladder shortcut to the first undead burg bonfire, have the dragon clear the hollows from the bridge. Shoot an arrow at the dragon to make it fly to bridge, run towards landing spot, start wailing away, then inevitably get instakilled. Any advice?

Either come back at the very end of the game or don't kill it (it only gives 10,000 souls which is garbage). On NG+ you won't be killing it.

To absolutely cheese it with 100% safety, get a bow stand under the ledge where you fight the three rats before entering the undead parish and aim up and pelt him with arrows. Expect to shoot like 100-400 depending on quality and skill.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I have the same problem. I can't identify what his insta-kill move is, it burns through me even with Havel's set on. Some of his attacks do some damage, and then one in particular is an instamash. Even the Dragonslayer Spear doesn't do a hell of a lot of damage to him.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!

Barudak posted:

Either come back at the very end of the game or don't kill it (it only gives 10,000 souls which is garbage). On NG+ you won't be killing it.

Alright then. This is NG+, so I'll stop trying.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Sable Stormfront posted:

Let the dragon clear the Hollows. Exit the stairs and head towards him, then duck into the hiding spot on the right (same side as stairs). Wait - eventually he'll fly down. As soon as he starts moving, run toward him. He'll land in range and you can get a couple whacks in. Sprint back down the stairs, rinse and repeat until he's dead.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
...Did you guys forget you don't need to shoot the tail of the Red Drake? All you need to do is hit it with enough arrows on any part of it's body to drain one/third of it's health and you'll get the secret weapon.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

...Did you guys forget you don't need to shoot the tail of the Red Drake? All you need to do is hit it with enough arrows on any part of it's body to drain one/third of it's health and you'll get the secret weapon.

We're not after the Drake Sword, we want the dragon dead.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Barudak posted:

Oh, you can. :getin:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Man this game is loving amazing, past couple days I've progressed so far. I got up to the Depths the first week I owned it and then got lost some large amount of souls to those drat curse frogs. Then on Sunday I picked it back up and beat the Gaping Dragon, then Queelag and Pinwheel on Wednesday and today I got all the way through Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo. I feel like I got lucky with the double boss fight at the end of that though, had a phantom helping me who was amazing at the game doing rolling backstabs on every enemy leading up to them and then I think I only did about 30 or 40% of the damage to them.

M6thrXeat
Feb 18, 2012

I bet if that puck was a hamburger you'd stop it!
I want to start a new game, but dont know what build to play as.

Anyone have recommendations? I have played a str build, faith build, and a vit gouged non-scaling/pyro build.

Been thinking between both a dex dagger build or a magic build. Also interested in any compelling builds that may even be a bit challenging but fun to play.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Man, I just got the gargoyle halberd like someone suggested a few pages back. And I am not impressed with the move set. I was only really using the halberd for the poking, and that big sweep move. Is the regular halberd feasible for a long time? I am in Anor Londo for the first time with it at +9. It doesn't really carry the same punch anymore. Maybe I should try a winged spear or something?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Having a good summon for O&S makes such a huge difference. It really seems like the fight is made for co-op.

Collected around 30 ears for the Darkmoon covenant today. I was only going to invade for a bit but I was having so much fun I didn't switch to my FTH/STR guy. Met a really cool dude who was trying to get summoned by his girl, but I kept invading him over and over. The first few times we dueled it out, but by the sixth or seventh time we just started doing crazy stuff. I stripped down and started doing the Channeler's Trident dance, poo poo like that.

Being a sorcerer in PvP is a lot more fun than I thought it would be. Sure, if a dude with a big weapon hits me once, I'm pretty much dead, but I can usually roll, cast, and roll again fairly quickly. A combination of homing and normal spears keeps people rolling around off their attacks. If someone makes the mistake of letting a full rack of crystal homing hit them, it's usually a one shot kill.

And I know it's only fair, but c'mon, gently caress flaskers. I've taken dudes down to a sliver several times in one fight. I can sometimes time a spell so it hits them, but not always. So frustrating!

M6thrXeat posted:

Been thinking between both a dex dagger build or a magic build. Also interested in any compelling builds that may even be a bit challenging but fun to play.

Be a sorcerer! You're extremely vulnerable for awhile, but by the time you hit Anor Londo you're the Dark Souls version of Robocop.

EC fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 25, 2012

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

EC posted:

And I know it's only fair, but c'mon, gently caress flaskers. I've taken dudes down to a sliver several times in one fight. I can sometimes time a spell so it hits them, but not always. So frustrating!

I got so sick of flaskers that my Darkmoon Blade now always carries Lloyd's Talismans in a quickslot. I'm usually pretty good at a jumping strong attack while they're flasking to negate it, but I usually try and throw a Lloyd's first thing.

M6thrXeat posted:

I want to start a new game, but dont know what build to play as.

Anyone have recommendations?

Some fun builds I am playing/have played:

Painted Armor + Lifehunt Scythe Darkwraith (Bonus points for style.)
No Shield, 2 Handed Only Str character.
Dual Claw/Claw + Chaos Blade Dexxer

Stokes fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 25, 2012

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im a SL63 priest who's currently using a BK halberd +5 and I crafted the Greatsword of Artorias. Is it worth for me to get the 20 intelligence needed to wield the greatsword?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

westcoaster posted:

Man, I just got the gargoyle halberd like someone suggested a few pages back. And I am not impressed with the move set. I was only really using the halberd for the poking, and that big sweep move. Is the regular halberd feasible for a long time? I am in Anor Londo for the first time with it at +9. It doesn't really carry the same punch anymore. Maybe I should try a winged spear or something?

There's a blacksmith near the end of Anor Londo that can upgrade it to lightning which will negate the main problem of halberds in that they don't scale very well as a normal weapon. Halberds also have ~30% better base damage than winged spears so the only reason to switch would be if you are heavy dexterity focused or prefer the more defensive spear moveset.

Daft chunK
Jan 23, 2008

Wut
So, I've been playing for 20 or so hours, and spoke to goons on IRC,

Im fighting the Gaping dragon and my Soul lvl is 30, I put quite a few points into Resistance, I thought it would be handy, Also remembered about the blacksmith and how I've upgraded nothing...

Think I might try again without loving up quite so badly.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

There's a blacksmith near the end of Anor Londo that can upgrade it to lightning which will negate the main problem of halberds in that they don't scale very well as a normal weapon. Halberds also have ~30% better base damage than winged spears so the only reason to switch would be if you are heavy dexterity focused or prefer the more defensive spear moveset.

I'm using the halberd for when I need to turtle and poke people. The other time I'm using an Iaito so as the other poster suggested I'm going to go into dex for that one. The halberd was just so strong at the beginning but my iaito is quickly catching up in effectiveness.

Also, I just went into the Painted World and didn't realize there would be toxic in there. I have used my only blooming moss and I dont really have any long ranged weapons to finish those mutated bastards off. I hope soul dart or whatever with 12 int is enough to get me through...

artism
Nov 22, 2011

westcoaster posted:

The halbred is not a poking weapon and it's generally very weak due to miss recovery. I was probably the one who suggested it and I suggested it as a semi-troll PVP weapon.

Spears are not that fun. They're effective in both PVP and PVE but they're really boring. If you're going to spear route I recommend 40 dex + demon's spear, 40-50 int + moonlight horn, or 30 strength minimum and lightning pike.

The best all around weapon to my mind in PVE is probably the lightning claymore due to extremely low stat investment for a huge payoff in damage and attack speed. If you plan on PVPing Zwei is also good, but only for the extra range on the roll poke and extra backstab/parry damage. Otherwise claymore is your best bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

westcoaster posted:

Did you pick up the Lightning Spear in Sen's?

• Locked thread