Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

kater posted:

Any advice for Havel? I can't seem to dodge his 1hit KO. Should I just strip down to my unskin? Also is the parish bridge a faster campfire to gy zerg him? I'm sick of running through main uberg.

You shouldn't even be dodging. Literally just hug him with your most stable shield and pace in circles, he will never hit you and you should backstab him every time, should take 10~15 backstabs. If you can't even block his two-handed attack you really need to upgrade your Endurance, he is probably the easiest NPC in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

invalid posted:

So, I, uh, can't seem to fire my crossbow. The right ammo is loaded (I bought all just in case), but my guy just stands there.

I swear only 81% stupid.

sure you got bolts and not arrows?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

kater posted:

Any advice for Havel? I can't seem to dodge his 1hit KO. Should I just strip down to my unskin? Also is the parish bridge a faster campfire to gy zerg him? I'm sick of running through main uberg.
Pretty sure I just lured him to the top of the stairs and kept kicking him off. I could not do much damage but falling hurt him a lot. This also limits the amount of attack he can launch at you. I blocked most of his stuff with a shield, but there is one swing that would always break through. I just tried to jump out of the way whenever he started swinging. Then when he finished I ran up and kicked him.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Going to ask this again because this thread moves fast, I wanted to know, do I have to join the Way of the White to be able to learn/perform the healing miracle? I want to get it but do not want to join that covenant. Thanks

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Oh my goodness the (post-second bell spoiler) Discharged whatever-lava-dude just one-shotted me, although that armor he was guarding is so dope looking and way better than the Shadow armor.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Capsaicin posted:

I'm still at the Undead Burg at that little catwalk where guys throw firebombs at you. I keep trying to get through (I need a jabby weapon and not a swingy weapon like the sword I have now), but keep dying. :(

If you back a little bit there's a platform with two spear and shield knights. there's a merchant there down below. Grind up about 1200 souls and you can buy a short bow and a decent amount of arrows. Really helps taking down those firebomb guys, as well as drawing enemies one by one to take em out easier

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Im_Special posted:

Going to ask this again because this thread moves fast, I wanted to know, do I have to join the Way of the White to be able to learn/perform the healing miracle? I want to get it but do not want to join that covenant. Thanks

I think you have to join it, but I am not that far. Also if you meet the guy with the book of the Guilty he allows you to leave covenants. I took that option to leave the way of the white and then checked with him again to see if I was now labeled a sinner. I wasn't, so this might be a way to leave covenants without being punished.

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

Professor Latency posted:

Oh my goodness the (post-second bell spoiler) Discharged whatever-lava-dude just one-shotted me, although that armor he was guarding is so dope looking and way better than the Shadow armor.

Can't upgrade it at all though. But it's base stats are so crazy it barely matters. More damage resistance than armor with like ten times its weight.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I got past that room in Undead Burg and immediately came across a GIANT DUDE in a horn helm. :( Is he the Red Eye Knight of this game?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Pash posted:

I think you have to join it, but I am not that far. Also if you meet the guy with the book of the Guilty he allows you to leave covenants. I took that option to leave the way of the white and then checked with him again to see if I was now labeled a sinner. I wasn't, so this might be a way to leave covenants without being punished.

Dang, what I'm worried about now is that I'm level 27, and it's going to cost a lot now.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

I got past that room in Undead Burg and immediately came across a GIANT DUDE in a horn helm. :( Is he the Red Eye Knight of this game?

Pretty much yes. He's guarding a ring that raises your defense at low health but you by no means have to kill him.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Im_Special posted:

Dang, what I'm worried about now is that I'm level 27, and it's going to cost a lot now.

I used him to leave WotW, it was free.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

Basically. I pulled him to just outside the bonfire and backstabbed him a few times. Pretty easy.

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

Im_Special posted:

I've honestly just been leaving/joining covenants left and right. I don't even use the dude at the bell tower, just talking to the joiner NPCs lets me swap for free. If they get mad at me, gently caress 'em. I've done it a lot without any apparent repercussions though so I feel like it doesn't matter.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Streaming live again, let's see how awfully I die going down from the fire shrine...

http://www.twitch.tv/evilgamer

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You know, I don't think I've ever had as much fun playing a zombie. (Albeit a zombie which can use magic to make herself look good for company again).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Where do you learn sorceries? I'm a melee based character, and I want to see if there's any good support magic, but I still haven't seen a single NPC that teaches magic. I just got to the Gaping Dragonp boss.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

So, um, if I'm relatively inexperienced with western action RPGs would this game be a bad idea? I know it's supposed to be hard but would I even be able to make progress? I skipped Demon's Souls for this reason but maybe I'm being too paranoid.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Smelly posted:

I used him to leave WotW, it was free.

OH, I saw/read something somewhere that it costs souls to remove you from the guilt book, and that cost was based on level.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Is there any reason not to give the smith by the church the large ember?

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
When's a good level to be taking down the Stray Demon? I tried at like level 26 but he just reamed me.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

So, um, if I'm relatively inexperienced with western action RPGs would this game be a bad idea? I know it's supposed to be hard but would I even be able to make progress? I skipped Demon's Souls for this reason but maybe I'm being too paranoid.

I was the same and managed to beat Demon Souls, so you should be good.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Im_Special posted:

Speaking of sins... do they do anything other than let book of the guilty people invade you? I know that you can't rejoin some communions until you pay for your sins after breaking them, but what else does it do. Also I accidently attacked a merchant... If I pay for my sins will they sell me things again?

J
Jun 10, 2001

I never, EVER thought the answer to a boss would be to just 2hand it up and spam the poo poo out of R1 and trade hits and drink potions when needed, but turns out that made the (mid-late game? boss name spoiler) 4 kings significantly easier. Of course I'm also wearing ultra heavy armor so your mileage may vary :haw:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Pretty much yes. He's guarding a ring that raises your defense at low health but you by no means have to kill him.

And by no means is that item of any use at all. It activates the defense boost when you're on your last bar(!) of health, so it will basically protect you from being killed by a butterfly fart and nothing else.

It will pretty much be the first item of its kind though, might as well wear it for a while.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Oh loving excellent, the wolf uses a sword. Of course.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Bobnumerotres posted:

And by no means is that item of any use at all. It activates the defense boost when you're on your last bar(!) of health, so it will basically protect you from being killed by a butterfly fart and nothing else.

It won't save you from that either...

:smith:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Found this weapon upgrade chart which might be useful to people.
http://i.imgur.com/FIYKN.jpg

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Guliani is HOT posted:

So he's related to those sword-dogs from the PS2 Shinobi game? Awesome.

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008
I seriously feel like I'm totally boned right now. gently caress CURSES! So I am up to the first time you battle the Hydra, and on my way to him I get cursed....oh god not again, well hopefully I can get to a place where I can buy something...but no the only thing in my way from doing that is this giant 7 headed, intimidating as gently caress Hydra boss. I don't even know if it's possible to go back the way I came...not that I want to...the thought of going through that loving swamp with half my health is enough to make me want to quit this game forever. What the hell do I do?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

You shouldn't even be dodging. Literally just hug him with your most stable shield and pace in circles, he will never hit you and you should backstab him every time, should take 10~15 backstabs. If you can't even block his two-handed attack you really need to upgrade your Endurance, he is probably the easiest NPC in the game.

There seems to be two two-handed attacks? One I can block but it does full stamina and tiny amount of hp, the other just drains all the bars instantly. I just now tried to hug him and he spazzed out whenever I got near his back then went into a long animation and splatted me dead. :shepface:

Maybe I'm just blocking wrong or something...

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'll be putting down summon signs at Ceaseless Discharge tonight, SL37, because gently caress that boss.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Someone just told me I see way more summoning symbols in general because I'm in the Way of the White covenant. That's kind of neat.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
When's the next cool weapon (other than drake sword) that I can get that scales with strength post first bell? I haven't done the second yet.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Guliani is HOT posted:

What gets me is the loving metric ton of health that he has. I think "crap I wasn't ready for this fight", then I can't find videos of his fight that are shorter than 15 minutes.

quote:

So he's related to those sword-dogs from the PS2 Shinobi game? Awesome.
You are awesome for this reference.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

kater posted:

If you dodge while he's winding up he will just reorient himself and hit you regardless, you need to dodge while he is actually swinging downwards. If he hits you you're pretty much hosed anyways so yeah strip down and 2hand your weapon.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
So after ringing the bell in UP...first time against the gargoyles, no less. :smug:

I talked to a dude there and somehow I'm automatically in his covenant? Because he's a merchant too, but now there is an option to leave it...which one is it, even?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Finally loving found the bonfire in Sen's Fortress. Lit it, forgot to rest, and died 30 seconds later. gently caress me.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Nigulus Rex posted:

When's the next cool weapon (other than drake sword) that I can get that scales with strength post first bell? I haven't done the second yet.

I have bad news for you, they removed crushing and dex-based weapons. Go faith/magic and make divine weapons, you'll deal far more damage than if you just dip 30 points into strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Im_Special posted:

OH, I saw/read something somewhere that it costs souls to remove you from the guilt book, and that cost was based on level.
Abandoning a covenant doesn't count as breaking it, which is nice.

• Locked thread