Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Len posted:

Finally killed Paladin Leeroy and got to Nitos room. This fucker's worse than Seath. Toxic while I was trying to heal from the fall to get down to him.

But doesn't it take him maybe 10-15 seconds to walk up to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fargin Icehole posted:

But doesn't it take him maybe 10-15 seconds to walk up to you?

Maybe? All I know is there was suddenly a giant sword impaling me and I had no anti-toxics out. I guess I'm bad at the game if that's the case.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Len posted:

Maybe? All I know is there was suddenly a giant sword impaling me and I had no anti-toxics out. I guess I'm bad at the game if that's the case.

Nah, no mistake on your part. That's one of his ranged attacks and he can hit you with it immediately, doesn't always do it though.

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
that's the gravelord sword dance and you'll hear a scream right a couple of seconds before it hits, so start rolling. nito is easy, when you drop down into his room don't move except to dodge the sword. his attendant skeletons will reach you long before he gets to you himself, so take the opportunity to dispatch them with a divine weapon. now just wait for nito to arrive and fill him full of pyromancy. as long as you don't go wandering the giant skeletons at the back wont aggro and when it's just you and nito his attacks are real easy to avoid, plus he'll go down incredibly quick to fire attacks

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yog-Sothoth posted:

divine weapon

There's my second hold up. I never bothered to get one of those instead choosing to just sprint to the necromancers to greatsword them.

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

assuming you explored anor londo you should have an occult club, which you can de-ascend at a blacksmith to a +5 divine. it's more than sufficient for the tomb, warp from the tomb bonfire back to firelink and run to andrei, as long as you don't actually rest at the bonfire, you can then homeward bone back into the tomb

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

alternately you can just beat them down until nito arrives, whereupon his own attacks will kill them repeatedly most of the time while you circle and burn nito, but getting the divine club is simple enough

edit: really the key to making this fight easy is just *dont aggro the giant skeletons*, pack some blooming purple moss on the chance you miss a dodge and get toxic

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
... Nito can inflict Toxic? That's sure news to me. I've killed him three times now and never once had that come up! What attack of his causes it?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Overlord K posted:

... Nito can inflict Toxic? That's sure news to me. I've killed him three times now and never once had that come up! What attack of his causes it?

His Gravelord Sword Dance-like attack, where the swords shoot out from underneath you. The Gravelord Sword (weapon) also inflicts it, but I don't know that Nito's basic melee hits do.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

At what point is it possible to do all of the covenants and get the goodies for them? I'd like to do as many as possible before NG+ and want to work towards all of the achievements because I'm really enjoying this game (Much more then Demon's Souls). I'm right before the Ornstein and Smough fight right now I think and haven't attempted it yet.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Pretty sure you can do everything you need with every covenant in one playthrough. Except for Forest Hunters, there's no permanent penalty for abandoning, just lost rank if you had one. For the achievement you don't actually need to join, just go to the "Yes/No" prompt and wait a few seconds, then back out.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Chard posted:

Pretty sure you can do everything you need with every covenant in one playthrough. Except for Forest Hunters, there's no permanent penalty for abandoning, just lost rank if you had one. For the achievement you don't actually need to join, just go to the "Yes/No" prompt and wait a few seconds, then back out.

Well I meant when is the best time if I wanted to go through them because some of the leaders are bosses right?

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

i think all of nito's melee strikes inflict toxic but theyre hard to get hit by in the first place

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Apocadall posted:

Well I meant when is the best time if I wanted to go through them because some of the leaders are bosses right?

Ah, I see. Nito and Gwyndolin both are, but the latter is optional unless you want his Soul for crafting. I guess Gwynevere counts because she can die but that's hardly a boss fight, and she has the worst covenant anyway.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Chard posted:

Ah, I see. Nito and Gwyndolin both are, but the latter is optional unless you want his Soul for crafting. I guess Gwynevere counts because she can die but that's hardly a boss fight, and she has the worst covenant anyway.

No it's not, you need to be in it to use Bountiful Sunlight and Soothing Sunlight, which is at least more than the Way of White gets you.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Chard posted:

Way of White. :colbert:

e: gently caress

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

No it's not, you need to be in it to use Bountiful Sunlight and Soothing Sunlight, which is at least more than the Way of White gets you.

Those miracles are pretty terrible though.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

BigLeafyTree posted:

Those miracles are pretty terrible though.

I wish they weren't though! I like playing healer-types usually but this game really doesn't want you doing that, for obvious reasons.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well, time to start up the Dark Souls. Anybody on PSN around level 64 need help with anything?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I beat NIto by getting rid of the skeletons with divine then switching to a fire weapon like Quelaags as soon as you kill them. Yes I switched mid-battle :I get fast at menu navigation I guess.

I also had pyromancy but all of it wasn't enough to kil him, 4 great fireballs and 4 chaos fireballs. I don't carry much pyro :v: Just enough to get rid of trouble spots

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

All that work for the cursebite and paladin gear and Seath never even hit me with curse. Goddamn you :darksouls:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

So I finally got a copy of Souls again, and can feed this addiction. Need some advice though.

Going for a dex build, here's what I have so far on my character, should I just scrap and start again or keep on with this NG+ I had running?

Level 78, btw.

Vit 30
Attunement 12
End 35
Strength 13
Dex 40
Res 12
Int 11
Faith 8

Holy poo poo I'm still using Quelaags furysword, what should I switch that for? (prefer something with a similar moveset)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Since they scale with DEX, you need to check out the Iaito (in Blightown), Uchigatana (kill the first merchant or wait till Shiva sells you stuff), Great Scythe (Catacombs), or...well, any of the curved sorts since you like the Furysword's moveset. Falchion, for example. All three of the ones I mentioned are good, and I think they all have bleed, which can do some hefty damage.

You'll want to decide which you like, and take it all the way up to +15 to increase it's scaling. That and some resin/enchants will make it cut through people.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I beat NIto by getting rid of the skeletons with divine then switching to a fire weapon like Quelaags as soon as you kill them. Yes I switched mid-battle :I get fast at menu navigation I guess.

It's gotten to the point where I have moved all my go to weapons to the top of the list, and all my go to shields/talismans to the bottom. That way I can quickly switch to a good magic blocking shield if I invade a magic user, for example.

Those three goddamn skeletons hanging out with Nito always give me trouble. Can't wait to take my FTH/STR build down there and beat up on them with my Divine Man Serpent Greatsword.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I like to think the Stone Greatsword is a viable weapon for PvP because it has TWoP as it's special move.

I also think that Ricard's Rapier is the best weapon in the game pre-ten thousand Dex so. :downs:

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Is it a stupid idea to max out Balder Side Sword or should I level up a bit (DEX from 14 to 18) to be able to wield the Black Knight Sword?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Len posted:

All that work for the cursebite and paladin gear and Seath never even hit me with curse. Goddamn you :darksouls:

Maybe the AI knew you had curse resistance gear so it didn't use attacks that cause curse. :tinfoil:

These Loving Eyes posted:

Is it a stupid idea to max out Balder Side Sword or should I level up a bit (DEX from 14 to 18) to be able to wield the Black Knight Sword?

Black Knight Sword is a very solid weapon. I would say use it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Would one of you guys on 360 happen to have a decently leveled character (Around SL130) with an excess of Twinkling Titanite? I have a good amount (31) of Blue chunks I could swap you for some of your Twinkling.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

These Loving Eyes posted:

I switched to the Black Knight Sword as soon as I outgrew the Drake Sword in my first playthrough and I used it for the rest of the game AND for new game plus. Great weapon.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Yardbomb posted:

Would one of you guys on 360 happen to have a decently leveled character (Around SL130) with an excess of Twinkling Titanite? I have a good amount (31) of Blue chunks I could swap you for some of your Twinkling.

Is 110 close enough? I could probably invade you I suppose. I'll be on in a few hours.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

EC posted:

Is 110 close enough? I could probably invade you I suppose. I'll be on in a few hours.

That might work, just gotta agree on an area to hang out in to wait for the invasion.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Yardbomb posted:

That might work, just gotta agree on an area to hang out in to wait for the invasion.

Send me a message when you see me sign on. :)

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Holy poo poo I'm still using Quelaags furysword, what should I switch that for? (prefer something with a similar moveset)

I have an almost identical build, with almost identical levels. only significant difference is I got STR to 16 for some spears and INT to 15 for fall control/chameleon.

What's wrong with Quelaag's? It scales at a B with dex, which keeps it pretty solid. It's not a heavy weapon and if you want something bigger then Iaito is probably the top choice.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I have an almost identical build, with almost identical levels. only significant difference is I got STR to 16 for some spears and INT to 15 for fall control/chameleon.

What's wrong with Quelaag's? It scales at a B with dex, which keeps it pretty solid. It's not a heavy weapon and if you want something bigger then Iaito is probably the top choice.

Nothing at all, I love the thing and despite spending an hour or two just now getting the Great Scythe, I'll probably stick with it. Was just hoping to hear about some rad weapon I had overlooked as an upgrade since I hit 40Dex.

Might look into Iaito

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Well for killer dex and good backstabs, I can't recommend Raiper+15 highly enough. Especially if you practice your parrying on the Silver Knights or something. The crit damage scales with upgrades even though it doesn't say it does. It feels good to parry and riposte for 1300.

Painting Sword is low damage with good scaling, but it attacks fast and causes bleed. If you're against something that bleeds, it's probably the fastest way to stack it.

And a Spear is a great safe option, since you have good range and can attack with your shield raised.

Pick up Pharis Bow if you can. It's amazing and once you have it on you, you'll find yourself using it more than you expected.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

EC posted:

Send me a message when you see me sign on. :)

If this doesn't work I have a SL152 that could (can assist between SL127-175)

Cokeysmoke
Nov 6, 2010
Okay, so I just left the Undead prison place, and got into Lodran. The first guy I ran into, I had the stupid mistake of trying to attack to see if you could, and now he keeps attacking me. I can't kill him no matter how hard I try, and it's really putting me off this game already. Is there a way to calm him down or have I effectively screwed myself over?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Cokeysmoke posted:

Okay, so I just left the Undead prison place, and got into Lodran. The first guy I ran into, I had the stupid mistake of trying to attack to see if you could, and now he keeps attacking me. I can't kill him no matter how hard I try, and it's really putting me off this game already. Is there a way to calm him down or have I effectively screwed myself over?

You can kill anything in this game. A good rule of thumb is to not attack anything that doesn't attack you first, though.

The only way to calm him down is a little bit off, but he's not an important NPC (assuming you mean the guy by the bonfire and not the guy in the armor). You can just kill him and move on with your life.

Or restart if you're really desperate, but that guy does not warrant restarting at all.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cokeysmoke posted:

He's got like 700 HP, just keep backstabbing him and he'll go down.

Not the best way to start the game, though, no.

Rule 1 of Dark Souls: You are your own dick. Everything else is a hornet's nest. Take care!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cokeysmoke posted:

My roommate did this and he lmanaged to kill him (took like an hour) entirely through parries-- doesn't give much of a reward, hell of a way to start the game though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Honestly you might as well just restart. It's not that long to get through the undead asylum.

• Locked thread