Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Cleretic posted:

So are there any other good greatswords that I can possibly upgrade to soon, since my fire claymore and chaos bastard sword are kinda losing their luster?

So far I've given the Gravelord Sword and Black Knight Sword a crack, and neither of them are to my liking - the Gravelord Sword just doesn't have any damage to back it up and its rythm is weird, and the Black Knight Sword's R2 is dismally slow. I'm contemplating using the Stone Greatsword since it's got the TWoP special, but the fact it has equal scaling in Strength and Dex worries me, because I'm only good with Strength.

Give the Demon Great Machete a shot. "A" rank scaling at higher levels, decent base damage, enchantable, and you only have to worry about strength for scaling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

nominal posted:

How I even beat Demon's Souls much less survived this much of Dark Souls I really have no idea, but you know what? I don't really care. This sort of poo poo is why I love these games.

Also: just got a mimic hat. Woohoo!

Don't feel too bad, in Demon Souls they introduce parrying as this big lifesaving mechanic then like 10% of the way through the game half the enemies can't be parried and you die repeatedly while you whiff your shield at the air and you stop trying.

It's way better in Dark Souls, you can parry all the Black Knights, Silver Knights, any Undead enemies, you can even parry the last boss. It's way more valuable this time around but I never bothered getting good at it because of how useless it was first time around.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Don't feel too bad, in Demon Souls they introduce parrying as this big lifesaving mechanic then like 10% of the way through the game half the enemies can't be parried and you die repeatedly while you whiff your shield at the air and you stop trying.

It's way better in Dark Souls, you can parry all the Black Knights, Silver Knights, any Undead enemies, you can even parry the last boss. It's way more valuable this time around but I never bothered getting good at it because of how useless it was first time around.

I'm still not sure if some of the smaller, humanoid bosses can be parried or not.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fibby Boy posted:

I'm still not sure if some of the smaller, humanoid bosses can be parried or not.
I know you can parry the snakemen, although the timing on some of their attacks is a little tricky.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Things you can parry that you may not think you can!

The snake men, both varieties. Note that you cannot parry the regular one's bite, and parrying the cobra men is extremely unwise due to MASSIVE BLEED DAMAGE on a missed parry.
The depraved ones in the regular entrance to Blighttown, even the ones with corpse totems.
The poison barbarians. Kind of tricky to get down, but very easy way to take them out when you do.
The Knights of Berenike (the big dudes with tower shields). Interestingly, this is probably the only enemy in the game you can parry but not riposte, so it's thoroughly not worth doing.
Shield bashes! I've had a shield bash parried in some incidental PvP before. It was really weird.

Still have to do testing with parrying the channelers. I bet you can, it's just not a very good idea.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I will never not be overjoyed/surprised when I land a parry.

I've just managaecd to get to the top of Sens and I'm doing some Iron Golem summons. I am so happy with the increased rate compared to the xbox version still, it's unreal. Makes the world seem that much alive.

But for some reason, now I'm getting stuck on Iron Golem fights. I've failed about 3/5.

First fight, I follow the host in, and the Iron Golem does his grab. He's tracking the host, then I hit him and he swivels around, grabs me, and tosses me off the side.

Second, me, host and Tarkus are beating the everloving poo poo out of him, he stumbles, and we all start gnawing at his ankles. Then he falls, but just barely misses the edge. I was on the other side with Tarkus, and we're trapped on a brick, slowly sliding off the edge. I'm sprinting into the side of the golem, watching my stamina going down, and Tarkus has given up by this point. I gracefully accept and fall, streaming tears, snot and piss after me.

Then the third, I just get stomped on, get back up, stomped on again.

But in other news, the Boar Helm & Armour of the Glorious is pretty drat swag.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Shield bashes! I've had a shield bash parried in some incidental PvP before. It was really weird.

I discovered this when I thought I'd play cute with a Balder knight in NG++. It took it's Parry/Riposte stance and I wondered if it's wittle sword could parry a great shield. Yep.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is the Xbox version still very dead or are people playing it now?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Xbox 360 has a pretty decent population. I think the main difference between it and the PS3 is that you have more min-max Havel flippers in the high end PvP areas.

If you're just trying to summon help for the bosses and get invaded and -really- don't want to deal with it, you should have time to switch over to a cheesy build. Big swords and stagger are basically never fail if you have a good connection, unfortunately.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Bobnumerotres posted:

The best way to avoid pvp is to have the chameleon spell and just hide forever and watch people be confused.

This is especially effective in the forest.

To add to this, make sure you chop a tree down and go all sneaky tree where it used to be, otherwise invaders will spot your sneaky tree rear end pretty quickly.

Aw man, I just started DeS and felt like I was a super soldier with all the parrying and backstabbing I was doing. It's really not that useful for the rest of the game? I just killed the boss that looks like the spear-blobs in the Painted World.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Things you can parry that you may not think you can!

You can also parry ranged attacks like the MLGS' RT/R2 attack. If you do it right it just does a bit of damage and takes away some stamina.

waspinator posted:

Is the Xbox version still very dead or are people playing it now?

Since I started playing in January it's always been populated. High-end PVP zones like the Forest have tons of people. Being summoned can be slow depending on time of day and your level, but at SL110 you usually won't wait more than 20 minutes on any given boss. That's if your wearing something really stupid and/or awesome when you lay your sign down.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

I'm trying to get summons for O&S now, and while I'm doing it I'm farming some Silver Knights too. And getting invaded. When I notice my stone is disabled, I'll run to the bonfire door, close it, and wait in the opposite room.

It gets them every time.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
I am such a parrying little bitch now that I figured out how to do it ,and have been running around all over the place basically grabbing some souls to pump up my dex and get a ton of stock on all the various arrows I can find. Got bored stabbing Silver Knights in the dick and wandered around a little, even (accidentally) took a little side trip the back way through Darkroot Gardens (found the ladder after killing the hydra), got jumped by the cast of the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, put my parrying skills to work there, and successfully diced them into tiny little chunks with my trusty +10 Iato, which was a really awesome accomplishment for me since I was out of Estus Flasks and was flipping the hell out throughout that little battle.

What's weird, though, is despite seeing a lot of people talk about the target shield and parrying dagger being awesome for parrying, I am absolutely horrible with both of those. It looks like the parry animation is a bit longer, but for some reason, I cannot parry worth a poo poo in anything but my trusty crest shield. I'm alright with that, though. It seems to get the job done and has the advantage of being able to block pretty well when I needed to.

Did O&S last night for the first time with a couple online people. ALMOST took out the fat guy, then I seemed to have died without really knowing what even got me. I did manage to survive long enough to marvel at you guys doing it alone at SL1 and wondering what kind of crazy cyborg reflexes you must have

e: hell yes, O&S are down now

nominal fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 15, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

EC posted:

Aw man, I just started DeS and felt like I was a super soldier with all the parrying and backstabbing I was doing. It's really not that useful for the rest of the game? I just killed the boss that looks like the spear-blobs in the Painted World.

Phalanx? Yeah, that's the boss of 1-1. I think now the entire world opens up to you, you get 5 paths with 3 levels each and you can do them in any order.

Parrying only really works on some of the World 1 enemies, who are kind of like the standard guys in undead burg and some knight type guys. Most world 2 enemies are immune to it, most world 3 enemies are immune to it, it works on 4-1 enemies I think until you get to the Catacombs-like area, it works in some world 5 enemies (think blight town) but not the ones you wish it would (think those club guys from blight town but now they are huge assholes)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I'm trying to get summons for O&S now, and while I'm doing it I'm farming some Silver Knights too. And getting invaded. When I notice my stone is disabled, I'll run to the bonfire door, close it, and wait in the opposite room.

It gets them every time.

Another good one is to wait behind the open door and cast an AOE like the sword dance or whatever the pyro is with all the pillars.

Unasked-for tip: don't be human while waiting for a summon.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

On a new run of the game today I decided to kill Lautrec as soon as I released him, I had a sunbro with me, but it turned out he couldn't hit him? This was pretty bad because Lautrec was kicking my rear end, but for some reason my buddy could block his way, so we trapped him in a narrow tunnel and I was fighting him through my sunbro's body. I actually got parried once, but the gap created by between me and Lautrec was enough to prevent the counter from landing - saved me a humanity!

We then went on to kill the gargoyles, but for some reason a lot of people tend not to always chop off both tails even if they are a low level crazy twink, which is unfortunate because my first character used the gargoyle halberd up until I got the lightning spear.

I also just got the basement key, but I can never remember what it's for even though this is like the 6th new game I've done. I can also never remember where to go after the gargoyles. You go back to the dragon bridge or something right?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TheMostFrench posted:

On a new run of the game today I decided to kill Lautrec as soon as I released him, I had a sunbro with me, but it turned out he couldn't hit him? This was pretty bad because Lautrec was kicking my rear end, but for some reason my buddy could block his way, so we trapped him in a narrow tunnel and I was fighting him through my sunbro's body. I actually got parried once, but the gap created by between me and Lautrec was enough to prevent the counter from landing - saved me a humanity!

Invaders and co-op phantoms can't attack NPCs, even if they're hostile. Imagine I joined your game and tried to kill your blacksmith :v:

The only time it really would be noticed is Lautrec, if you decide to kill him in Undead Parish. You could also just wait until he's back in Firelink and kick him off a cliff.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

TheMostFrench posted:

I also just got the basement key, but I can never remember what it's for even though this is like the 6th new game I've done. I can also never remember where to go after the gargoyles. You go back to the dragon bridge or something right?
Spoiler probably not needed but just in case.
Yeah, go back to the beginning of the dragon bridge near Solaire and there's that door that was previously locked that leads down to the Lower Burg with the Capra Demon and all.

on my only NG+ I also completely forgot where to go at this point.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
From my Legend of Zelda gimmick run:

http://www.twitch.tv/waspinat0r/b/301288483

I think I've talked my wife into picking me up a copy for Xbox today, so with luck I might be streaming gimmick runs again as soon as this afternoon! Hooray!

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Invaders and co-op phantoms can't attack NPCs, even if they're hostile. Imagine I joined your game and tried to kill your blacksmith :v:

If the game were really punishing and unforgiving then they'd allow this. :colbert:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I've gotten someone to aggro the male merchant in the Burg before by standing close and drawing his attacks v:v:v

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

waspinator posted:

From my Legend of Zelda gimmick run:

http://www.twitch.tv/waspinat0r/b/301288483

I never really noticed (on a count of making GBS threads myself) that the mimic puts its arms out like 'SURPRISE HUG!'

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

It works in some world 5 enemies (think blight town) but not the ones you wish it would (think those club guys from blight town but now they are huge assholes)

And that roll you've been relying on to avoid damage? Yeah you can't do that here, have fun! That place is the worst.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I will never not be overjoyed/surprised when I land a parry.

There are few things more satisfying than a riposte with the Moonlight Greatsword.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bobnumerotres posted:

No it is not what the hell are you talking about?

His lovely armor is not worth going through a big chunk of the game without the most important bonfire.

This is wrong and I will tell you why you are wrong.

Him killing the keeper is extremely irrelevant because your next destination after Blighttown is going to be Anor Londo to kill him and O&S anyway, you won't even use need the Firelink bonfire until you get back anyway.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Besides, that particular questline can result in you getting an extra kindle at Firelink Shrine. There's no reason not to do it.

e: Unless you're scared. :smuggo:

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I just picked up Dark Souls the other day after watching a Let's Play, figured maybe I'd check to see if there's a SA thre- :stare:

1200 pages? Holy poo poo.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Strife posted:

I just picked up Dark Souls the other day after watching a Let's Play, figured maybe I'd check to see if there's a SA thre- :stare:

1200 pages? Holy poo poo.

The thread tends to go in cycles, wherein someone picks up the game, they post their questions, people alternate between answering their questions and posting their own personal experiences, then we discuss amongst ourselves whose way was the best way and why.

Now it's your turn. :unsmigghh:

Psychedelius
Apr 24, 2010

It's question time? I'm in!

On my first playthrough, started out as a Wanderer and went for a DEX focused build, just defeated Quelaag with an Uchi +9.
I don't really know where to focus on with my build right now, I pumped my points mainly into VIT, END and DEX but I'm feeling a little underpowered against bosses.
Is the Chaos blade any good? And should I consider pumping more points into pyromancy (currently at flame +5).

On a side note: I need one more successful coop run to join Solaire, but I can't really find any hosts. I'm at SL49 and tried assissting in Blighttown, but even after about 20+mins noone seems to summon me. Are there any spots better suited for coop?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Cinroth posted:

Yeah, I'm extremely excited for PC version and it breaks my heart to see people act like massive crying babbies over GFWL.

What is the big deal with gfwl anyway? I've had a few games on there and I don't get it. What's bad about it?

Sometimes I feel like people just jump on a wagon and don't bother to research why exactly something is bad. People were crying that Terraria was going to be released on Steam, when I look up why, the only reason is because it'll be more difficult to pirate. A ten dollar game with hundreds of hours of gameplay.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 15, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nothing new that we didn't already know. The comments about GFWL are pretty wrong too. The reason why we are getting it, is because its really easy and cheap for FROM Software to port the game with it, as GFWL is basically a direct port of Xbox Live to the PC.

Bobnumerotres posted:

What is the big deal with gfwl anyway? I've had a few games on there and I don't get it. What's bad about it?

Any issues it use to have or does have, are either the game, users computer, or don't exist anymore as they've been fixed by Microsoft. I've played a number of GFWL titles over the last year, and none of them had issues. On the rare event I got disconnected, the game just went into offline mode and I could keep playing with no interruption.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Sen's Fortress. I just can't do the second guillotine bridge. :negative: Is there an alternate path or trick I'm missing?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
At release GFWL was buggy and almost impossibly difficult to navigate. Fallout 3 PC was a release title for the system I think, which let a large number of people experience first hand how bad it was.

So, just so everyone knows, the Harpies in Painted World can clip through enclosures to do their leaping one hit kill attack. Dammit :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Red Crown posted:

At release GFWL was buggy and almost impossibly difficult to navigate. Fallout 3 PC was a release title for the system I think, which let a large number of people experience first hand how bad it was.

It was Halo 2, and Shadowrun, and I think maybe Gears of War was the next title in line to use it. All of those I remember were an absolute nightmare. Halo 2 still isn't playable on the PC years later.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

AngryBooch posted:

Sen's Fortress. I just can't do the second guillotine bridge. :negative: Is there an alternate path or trick I'm missing?

No.

You will complete Sen's Fortress on your own and you will be a stronger person for it.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

At 49 I got alot of bites at the O&S bonfire, try there.

Just had some bizarre run-ins with the forest covenant. I had a guy who dropped everything he had nearly, so I picked it all up, then he kept pointing down. So I equipped some of the crap he dropped and started pointing up, then he killed me. :smith:

The second was someone I had an ordinary battle with earlier. They invaded me again, and we praised the sun for about 3 minutes, then I started punching them. They started punching back, and we continue like that for a good 10 minutes or so, occasionally they let me stop to stab the plant-thingies. But at one point I stripped my armour off, and the plant attacked me. I was injured beyond fairness and had to leave anyway, so I dropped a silver coin, Praised the sun one last time, and ran and jumped off a cliff.

I love this game. :unsmith:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I said come in! posted:

It was Halo 2, and Shadowrun, and I think maybe Gears of War was the next title in line to use it. All of those I remember were an absolute nightmare. Halo 2 still isn't playable on the PC years later.

Wasn't the Halo 2 PC port largely just a ploy to have people get off XP and switch to Vista?

poo poo with how bad Vista was at release there's still a huge number of people around using XP.

quote:

killing the keeper is extremely irrelevant because your next destination after Blighttown is going to be Anor Londo to kill him and O&S anyway, you won't even use need the Firelink bonfire until you get back anyway.

Well I didn't know. It felt much more inconvenient the first time I did it but my first run of the game was very terrible. Stats and weapons were a mess and I had pissed off all the wrong NPCs.

RADmadness
Feb 17, 2011
GFWL isn't as terrible as it used to be. I still play DoW2 on it sometimes and it has been updated over the years. Don't get me wrong, Steamworks would be 100 times better but GFWL won't be anywhere near as poo poo as it used to be in Shadowrun times (I actually like Shadowrun despite it having nothing to do with Shadowrun.) It is there to stop people attempting to cheat, so give FROM credit for doing that atleast.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

Wasn't the Halo 2 PC port largely just a ploy to have people get off XP and switch to Vista?

poo poo with how bad Vista was at release there's still a huge number of people around using XP.

Yep it was. I was so pissed about that because Vista really was crap. Not one of Micrsofts better moves.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

People hating on GFWL is to me like people hating on Steam because Steam was a horrible piece of poo poo at launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

My SL1 guy beat Nito on the first try, though I almost died. I really dig the silver knight set, and I think upgrading the armor that needs TT is easier than other sets since you can just farm those clams right next to Seath's bonfire.

I'm going to leave 4K for last, because holy poo poo I don't want to fight them. Do you guys know if they are weaker to fire or lightning? I'll have a fully ascended pyro flame and I'm wondering if that's a better strat (great fireball/combust) then trying to dodge and use the lightning great axe.

• Locked thread