Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
What are you people doing spoiling yourself out of the whole game front to back? :psyduck:

You're completely robbing yourself out of the exploration and "holy gently caress what IS that thing and how am I supposed to kill it" aspects of the game. Don't do that :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I haven't had the chance to look around yet because of interviews and work etc. and I know this is a long shot. Does anyone live in Hong Kong and own this game or know if anyone is selling it yet in any local shops?

To add content, I haven't said too much but my wife must be going crazy because I'm busting my rear end to finish Deus Ex JUST so I can play this game constantly with no interruptions. She already got tired of me playing DS all the time, now it's time for the next step towards ruining my marriage. It will be fantastic to have that same sense of dread and wonder as you look around and think "What's going to kill me next?" It could literally be anything in the level! That's frightening.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

When I first started watching this, in the first 4 hours as I was watching on and off, they were for the entire time in basically one area of one "level" I guess, mostly grinding for souls and switching off between people and such so I don't think it's PARTICULARLY spoilerific, but I've been having it on and trying to LISTEN to it more than watch it.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

GhostDog posted:

What are you people doing spoiling yourself out of the whole game front to back? :psyduck:

You're completely robbing yourself out of the exploration and "holy gently caress what IS that thing and how am I supposed to kill it" aspects of the game. Don't do that :(

It isn't quite the same as playing it for yourself, but I don't quite understand the people who are staying up all night to watch the stream.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe

GhostDog posted:

Exactly I feel like demons souls was more fun because I went in blind. Until I checked the wiki for that drat flamelurker.

Ugh hurry up Tuesday.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
If you wanna watch something, the GiantBomb quicklook is the best thing to watch because not only is it hilarious, but you can watch the transformation of a boy to a man. (Brad Shoemaker is going to play Dark Souls now).

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Darth Windu posted:

It isn't quite the same as playing it for yourself, but I don't quite understand the people who are staying up all night to watch the stream.

Sure it's different, but you'll still know enemy placement, probably some hidden items or even the simple joy of opening a new shortcut (there are lots) without knowing of its existence in advance. In the end, of course, everbody can do what they want, I just think you're robbing yourself out of a part of the experience.

Edit:

exmorte posted:

Exactly I feel like demons souls was more fun because I went in blind. Until I checked the wiki for that drat flamelurker.

I spent too much time on the Demon's Souls wiki and regretted it quite a bit. That's why I went into Dark Souls blind and it's paying off a lot so far.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 30, 2011

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I don't know if I'd play this game but I'm enjoying watching it. For me either one of those games I play for a couple hours, never to touch again, or one of those game I obsess over.

The IGN guys are kinda of annoying. It's like they're trying to hard to be like the Giantbomb guys and failing.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Hey, a warning to people buying from newegg. You might not get the collector's edition. This was just posted on reddit:

quote:

I just wanted to throw this out there. A few days ago, I preordered DkS from NewEgg when it still said Collector's Edition. When I got the confirmation email, it just had a very generic description of the product: "NAMCO Dark Souls PS3 RTL". However, the pre-order linked me to the Collector's Edition box. Also, in my pre-order status, it linked me to the Collector's Edition box. This was true up through yesterday.
Well, as of today, New Egg only has the Standard Edition. AND, my pre-order product links me to the standard edition page. Now, since my pre-order confirmation email didn't say either way, I contacted support. First they told me that I would have to contact BANDIA directly to confirm which product I would receive. When I asked how they would know which product NewEgg would ship me, support said I would receive the standard edition because that is what I ordered. I explained, as above, that I had ordered the collector's edition, as per their website, and someone had changed the CE edition link to the SE across the website. I was finally told that if I received the SE, then I could contact NewEgg then.
So, NewEgg has no idea which version it will send me and is now playing fast and loose with their pre-order links. Just wanted to let you guys know.
tl;dr, ordered CE, link now shows SE, NewEgg says wait and see before they'll act because they don't know themselves.

calbruc
Nov 15, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

GhostDog posted:

I spent too much time on the Demon's Souls wiki and regretted it quite a bit. That's why I went into Dark Souls blind and it's paying off a lot so far.

I feel exactly the same way. I'm going to try so hard to stay away from the wiki for my first play through, but it'll be difficult. What if I miss out on something as important as the cling ring? :ohdear:

I've been clicking links as well, so here's mine: http://goo.gl/Y5ZRz

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
They specifically said that they made it so Demon's Souls would require you to seek assistance and advice from other players and set up an official wiki and everything. They also implemented oblique systems like World Tendency, Character Tendency and the Upgrade System that were almost impossible to fully understand without collaborating and consulting with other players.

Since Dark Souls is basically DS2 in all but name, I don't think you're really robbing yourself of anything significant by using a wiki for parts of the game.

I personally wouldn't like to see the winning strategy for killing a boss before at least giving several attempts myself though.

Edit: There's also a living, breathing FAQ built into the fabric of the game world, telling you what is around every corner and warning of enemy placement and so on.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Sep 30, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just wandered into the realm of the dragons and for some reason my first thought was "Oh, dragons! Maybe they'll be my friend!"

They were not.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just wandered into the realm of the dragons and for some reason my first thought was "Oh, dragons! Maybe they'll be my friend!"

They were not.

Uh, did you fix your character's age slider into the range of 'moody pre-teen with a dark secret'? Clearly that's why.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

calbruc posted:

I feel exactly the same way. I'm going to try so hard to stay away from the wiki for my first play through, but it'll be difficult. What if I miss out on something as important as the cling ring? :ohdear:

I've been clicking links as well, so here's mine: http://goo.gl/Y5ZRz

I wouldn't worry about that; there's nothing anywhere NEAR as vital as the Cling Ring or Thief's Ring this time around. From what I've seen, people running through the game blind are far, far less disadvantaged this time around than in Demon's Souls. Granted there still are plenty of items and tricks that will make your game easier if you know about them, but it's no longer necessary to be able to enjoy the game without getting your rear end handed to you in areas like the cliffsides in Demon's Souls' 4-1 with the flying stingrays that destroy you with liberal amounts of flying stalactites without a Thief's Ring.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dan Didio posted:

Uh, did you fix your character's age slider into the range of 'moody pre-teen with a dark secret'? Clearly that's why.
My character is so clad in heavy armor right now (including the awesome metal boar helmet), the only thing that lets me remember that there is a person under there is her saying "ugh!" occasionally when hit.

My GOD it is going to be hard to keep track of this place. The world is loving huge and I have apparently only seen a fraction of it. I keep forgetting which areas are connected to which others.

edit: Jane Doe right now

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 30, 2011

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011
I think you're not cheating yourself too much if you at least use an FAQ to make sure you don't miss a weapon you really want. Weapons essentially alter your whole playstyle so not getting, say, the DBS or Great Sword in DeS if you really want to play a Guts character could actually alter your enjoyment of the game in a different way than getting spoiled.

I still may try a totally spoiler-free first run though just to do it once, although with a sexy Future Press guide tempting me resisting the temptation will be harder than ever. :(

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

My character is so clad in heavy armor right now (including the awesome metal boar helmet), the only thing that lets me remember that there is a person under there is her saying "ugh!" occasionally when hit.

My GOD it is going to be hard to keep track of this place. The world is loving huge and I have apparently only seen a fraction of it. I keep forgetting which areas are connected to which others.

That's one reason why I'm not too concerned about the streams dulling my appreciation for the game: The game's so goddamn huge I'll never be able to remember which area goes to which until I end up committing it to muscle memory.

Also, I don't know if anyone confirmed this before but I'll post it just in case: Weapon upgrades can STILL change weapon parameters, even to stats that the weapon didn't get bonuses from initially. Sorcerers/Clerics no longer have to feel cheated out of a majority of the weapons in the game. Also Poise is still in the game and is a visible stat from the status screen to debunk that whole "Poise might be a hidden stat" thing that came from the TGS Demo. I'll change the OP to include Poise as a new stat once I'm actually certain of how it works.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
So some of you may have remembered my big long spiel from the Demon's Souls thread about how 5-2 is the godess's gift to game design because it forces the player to do stupid poo poo based on them not being able to weight options properly when fearful of dying due to poison? Yeah, the equivalent area in Dark Souls is not so much like that. I hope this is cryptic enough to not need to spoiler tag.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Leyburn posted:

They specifically said that they made it so Demon's Souls would require you to seek assistance and advice from other players and set up an official wiki and everything. They also implemented oblique systems like World Tendency, Character Tendency and the Upgrade System that were almost impossible to fully understand without collaborating and consulting with other players.

Since Dark Souls is basically DS2 in all but name, I don't think you're really robbing yourself of anything significant by using a wiki for parts of the game.

I personally wouldn't like to see the winning strategy for killing a boss before at least giving several attempts myself though.

Yeah, I'm definitely talking more about the latter. I don't want to know in advance behind which door a boss lurks, what he looks like, and that he's weak to fire. I also personally don't want to know that I have to go up there and left there to "find" a Dragon Sword. Basically all the exploration/experience on first playthrough stuff. Looking up something as obtuse as the unique upgrade paths using Colorless Demon Souls is fair game.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

GhostDog posted:

Yeah, I'm definitely talking more about the latter. I don't want to know in advance behind which door a boss lurks, what he looks like, and that he's weak to fire. I also personally don't want to know that I have to go up there and left there to "find" a Dragon Sword. Basically all the exploration/experience on first playthrough stuff. Looking up something as obtuse as the unique upgrade paths using Colorless Demon Souls is fair game.

The first playthrough of a game like this is kind of sacred. Everything after that is completely fair metagaming to me that I consider to have been intended by the designers. Even with knowing exactly what I needed to do to platinum Demon's Souls it was still difficult to accomplish.

There is a bit of these games that's based on knowing what to do, but far more is actually based on having the skills. You can know where to go all you like, but if the enemies keep kicking your rear end then they'll keep kicking your rear end.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Can you make copies of your save on the PS3? I'm only eight hours in and it already froze 3 times, and since the game is saving all the time I'm a bit afraid of file corruption.

flashdim
Oct 19, 2005

Still losing criticals
Holy balls, I'm rank 10 on the site.

Any idea what that does?

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?
I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but do we know what the codes from the website's glyph puzzle do yet?

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Ok, where did you get that Helmet? I need it. My life won't be complete without it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So uh, I preordered the collector's edition and I can't wait to play it (october 7th :argh:).

But are the multiplayer aspects of the game essential to have? I'm on a 360 and haven't bothered getting an Xbox Live gold account since hardly any of the games I play on it have interesting multiplayer and most of the players are dickbags anyway.

Should I get a gold account for the multiplayer features in Dark Souls? They sound pretty interesting while avoiding the whole "13-year old douchebag screaming homophobic insults at everyone" aspect.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The multiplayer is really important. There was nothing like coming up to the bridge in world 1-1, in demon's souls, and seeing it covered in blood stains and warning messages. It just wouldn't be the same without that extra layer of human interaction which flows throughout the entire game.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

NoneSuch posted:

The multiplayer is really important. There was nothing like coming up to the bridge in world 1-1, in demon's souls, and seeing it covered in blood stains and warning messages. It just wouldn't be the same without that extra layer of human interaction which flows throughout the entire game.

Well, darn. I'll just have to add a Gold account to my budget, perhaps the worst of the kids have moved on to other games than the ones I play by now.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
So from watching the IGN live stream, we all learn one valuable lesson.

ALWAYS attack a chest before you open it. loving Mimics, man.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Clicking on these links, but it just takes me back to my own profile. Is that supposed to happen? Here's mine by the way: http://goo.gl/hDsvm

My delivery is estimate is between the 7th an the 12th, which kinda sucks because that's either Friday or the week after!

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

So uh, I preordered the collector's edition and I can't wait to play it (october 7th :argh:).

But are the multiplayer aspects of the game essential to have? I'm on a 360 and haven't bothered getting an Xbox Live gold account since hardly any of the games I play on it have interesting multiplayer and most of the players are dickbags anyway.

Should I get a gold account for the multiplayer features in Dark Souls? They sound pretty interesting while avoiding the whole "13-year old douchebag screaming homophobic insults at everyone" aspect.

All forms of chat will be disabled in DS. No screaming douchebags. The only screaming you will hear is your own.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

KozmoNaut posted:

You have to pay for gold to play the DS 'Multiplay'? I thought that was only for "X-Box Live" games?

Samurai Sanders posted:

My god, where are you? and did that drop from the giant armored boar?:stare:

ErIog posted:

So some of you may have remembered my big long spiel from the Demon's Souls thread about how 5-2 is the godess's gift to game design because it forces the player to do stupid poo poo based on them not being able to weight options properly when fearful of dying due to poison? Yeah, the equivalent area in Dark Souls is not so much like that. I hope this is cryptic enough to not need to spoiler tag.

Not so much like it, but oh so so delicious. I love how you actually -have- to run through it, or end up boggling "WTH where's the boss" Also, I didn't see or notice the entrance till the third time I was near her hive.! That and my god, this game branches out so much further than I thought it would.

Edit:Fell asleep early last night inSen's Fortress, my god, those boulders rolling by are unsettling :stare:

Talran fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 30, 2011

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Quick thought on PvP now - I just realised that heal grass abuse is out, because they took about 0.5 seconds to consume and now the drinks take at least twice as long, so that will immediately negate that problem. That's pretty cool.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:

GhostDog posted:

I agree. I have the hardcover guide coming for subsequent playthroughs and probably for weapon upgrade path info, but other than that I want as little as possible spoiled. I have only even watched the first trailer so I don't see bosses or traps that I might recognize while playing.

Basically I'm hoping to have just enough information to not gimp my character. Things like hey, it might be a good idea to start as a thief or with the Master Key gift since you can't get it anywhere else I'm OK with.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Talran posted:

You have to pay for gold to play the DS 'Multiplay'? I thought that was only for "X-Box Live" games?

I think gold is required for all ingame online connectivity apart from DLC and update downloads.

But I can't seem to find any solid information on how it works for Dark Souls, being more like "enhanced singleplayer" than outright multiplayer. I'm guessing you need gold, though.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

help me goons SPOILERS obviously:

i have reached the bell gargoyles, the messages left behind by people say i need lightning and humanity, i used up all my lightning with the first minotaur boss :v: also why the humanity? i'm not sure myself. either way its a very hard fight, but not impossible i think i'll need to be more careful

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
You will not be able to invade/be invaded without gold for XBL. That's pretty much standard for any Xbox game with multiplayer.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I suppose I'll do the facebook thing. You can't go into Dark Souls without some help. http://goo.gl/lR7GL

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Got another random goony link for Prepare to Die: http://goo.gl/oc1pE

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

I'm so happy I haven't watched more than 1 minute of game footage and willfully ignored the pictures of this game. That experience of "oh poo poo what the gently caress" is going to be so awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

Fizzil posted:

help me goons SPOILERS obviously:

i have reached the bell gargoyles, the messages left behind by people say i need lightning and humanity, i used up all my lightning with the first minotaur boss :v: also why the humanity? i'm not sure myself. either way its a very hard fight, but not impossible i think i'll need to be more careful

It's because You can summon the sun guy if you're in human form, and he'll help off tank the second one for ya, also save the lightning, it's more expensive than fire/magic weapon and I haven't found a place yet that don't run out of stock when I buy it. Also, you did the Ox guy wrong, you were supposed to blitz the ladder and do falling chops to his face for easy mode. :3:

Edit: Spelling, and oh god I want to go home and play nao, why work why?! Oh well, Elona time.

Talran fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 30, 2011

• Locked thread