Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phonics
Apr 6, 2009

by XyloJW
How do you get rid of the thing blocking the path near the beginning of Blighttown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If someone kindles a fireplace around you, you get another flask.

This isn't quite correct. If someone "close to you on the network" (that is, in the same lobby; you can see their ghosts running around, their messages, etc) kindles the last bonfire you rested at, no matter where you are currently, you will receive an extra flash. This will be indicated by a golden-yellow orb flying into your body, like when you gain souls but a different color.

LorentzViolator
Sep 6, 2006

LemonRind posted:

Whelp blighttown is being a pain in the rear end for me. Lost over 20k souls on the way in, and now I am trying to find a way out so I can get some titanite shards to level up my equipment. Is there anyway back to the firelink shrine or am I pretty much screwed. I am at the bottom of the swamp at the bonfire before the giantspider lady boss.

Unfortunately the most painless way that I've found yet is to take that waterwheel elevator and then go up as far as you can go with ladders. You will then find an exit/entrance.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Phonics posted:

How do you get rid of the thing blocking the path near the beginning of Blighttown?

The large bug like thing with tentacles? Either shoot it with arrows until it dies, or find the long ladder going up nearby which will take you to its front.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Goddammit I hate these loving swinging blades

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

gently caress the Tomb of the Giants :stare:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Oh....that Taurus Demon just demolished me. :(

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

So I picked this game up because it honestly looked incredible, and I've been having a blast with it so far. I just rang the second bell and killed the Ceaseless Discharge, and I tried continuing further. Has anybody found out what's behind either the multiple Taurus bosses or the path of Capra demons?

Phonics
Apr 6, 2009

by XyloJW

evilalien posted:

The large bug like thing with tentacles? Either shoot it with arrows until it dies, or find the long ladder going up nearby which will take you to its front.

I cant damage it. Neither from the front or back.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Hey I am worried I ruined my chances of joining the Gravelord Covenant. I went into the catacombs and ran pretty far in and there was this dude next to the first bonfire who was holding this weird skull lamp. He attacked me so I hit him but I'm not sure if he might have been the covenant guy or something.

Didn't know about the covenant but those dudes with lamps raise the dead. Kill them.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Phonics posted:

I cant damage it. Neither from the front or back.

It's taking damage I promise you. It just doesn't look like it for some reason. I did it with a bow from the outside and it died eventually.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Alright, I'm sick of the drake sword. Upgraded it to +1 and am just not feeling it anymore. Should I find another weapon or just keep upgrading this sword until it (eventually) becomes outclassed by everything else?

vvv Thats what I figured. It's just, everything else that I have is so much weaker right now.

Professor Latency fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 8, 2011

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Professor Latency posted:

Alright, I'm sick of the drake sword. Upgraded it to +1 and am just not feeling it anymore. Should I find another weapon or just keep upgrading this sword until it (eventually) becomes outclassed by everything else?

I wouldn't upgrade it anymore as it quickly becomes outdated once you start upgrading weapons to +10. It really becomes outdated once you make some decent elemental weapons.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
oh boy only 30k more souls to grind to absolve my sins yippee

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Welp, I just killed (who I assume was) Havel. I ended up ditching my previous strategy of backstabbing him to death and playing dice with his hitbox, and just lured him up the bottommost staircase, just before the wall, and jumping down. He'd follow me down, hurting himself, and I'd run back up, and repeat. He killed himself very nicely. And HOLY poo poo THIS loving RING OH GOD YES. The leather armor I got from just beyond him allowed me to survive one direct hit from his giant metal dildo, which was nice. I think I'll keep it until I get some actual good heavy armor.

After that, I went and fought the black knight at the Parish, and got his sword. I can't wait until I can equip this monster, hell yes. I suppose I should get to actually starting the Parish now, huh.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I really really hope you are farming souls in the forest.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Wise Teen posted:

The rule of the traps in Sen's fortress is to figure out how to make enemies run into them instead of you.

Trimangle
Dec 4, 2004
Front de Libération de Québec
Is the only way to open that sealed gate in the forest (the one with the glowing white circle in the centre) to buy the "seal" from the Parish Blacksmith.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
What % of your Equipment Load is necessary to be able to fast roll in heavier armor? I'm thinking that's the issue with the Taurus Demon I'm having is that by the time I roll out of the way, he's already readying another attack.

My stats right now are:

14 Vit
10 Attu
13 End
13 Str
12 Dex
10 Res
10 Int
11 Faith

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
:dance: Guess who's a Gravelord now. :dance:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Do the Servants of Chaos actually want me to do anything? The nice white spider lady only says "..." to me. I guess there's a ring or something that lets you talk to her, but does anyone know what she would be saying anyway?

Also I hosed up and killed the merchant who is there. He looked dangerous.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Hey sanders, while you're reading the thread, can you pop over to the japaneese wiki and find out what the unholy property on occult upgraded weapons do? I've been wondering that for a few days now.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do the Servants of Chaos actually want me to do anything? The nice white spider lady only says "..." to me. I guess there's a ring or something that lets you talk to her, but does anyone know what she would be saying anyway?

Also I hosed up and killed the merchant who is there. He looked dangerous.

I have no idea what she is supposed to be saying, but you need the Old Witch's Ring to speak with her. You can still join her covenant without understanding a think she says though I have no idea how you are supposed to do that.

Capsaicin posted:

What % of your Equipment Load is necessary to be able to fast roll in heavier armor? I'm thinking that's the issue with the Taurus Demon I'm having is that by the time I roll out of the way, he's already readying another attack.

It's always under 25% for the fastest roll, or under 50% for a decent roll.

Numbers
Jul 13, 2000
What is the deal with (forest boss spoiler) Great wolf sif? I can't touch the fucker. Meanwhile he just dances around with that big goddamn sword and kicks my rear end. Any tips on taking him on with melee only? I can't stay close to him but for half a second and his attacks are tricky to dodge up close. I'm soul level 60 (30 dex , 28 vit, 28 end) with a +9 winged spear and that ring wraith looking armor. Maybe I should come back later?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Trimangle posted:

Is the only way to open that sealed gate in the forest (the one with the glowing white circle in the centre) to buy the "seal" from the Parish Blacksmith.

Yes. However, you can get behind it through another route. It isn't going to be effective for farming without opening the gate, and frankly it's worth the investment, but if you absolutely refuse to buy the seal and still want to see what's back there and/or join the forest covenant, you can take the back way in.

In the basin, past some crystal golems you'll find a large lake with a hydra in it. Either kill the hydra (he's a pushover), or run past him. He's guarding a ladder. Climb it and follow the path, it will lead you to the area behind the gate, very near the door to the wolf boss fight. Be careful, because as soon as you enter the area you'll be ganged up on by some catigators.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

evilalien posted:

I really really hope you are farming souls in the forest.

I can't, my nephew aggro'd the blacksmith. That's why I have to do this godforsaken grind

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Winged Spear+5 and Elite Knight Armor (reinforced) and I'm total boss status. Those black knights that were giving me problems earlier? Not anymore =) gently caress a drake sword.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Why would you do that? The only thing sin does is make you more likely to be invaded by the Darkmoon covenant. If you check yourself out in the Book of Guilty you're probably way down the list.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Volitaire posted:

Why would you do that? The only thing sin does is make you more likely to be invaded by the Darkmoon covenant. If you check yourself out in the Book of Guilty you're probably way down the list.

doesn't it de-aggro hostile npcs?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Numbers posted:

What is the deal with (forest boss spoiler) Great wolf sif? I can't touch the fucker. Meanwhile he just dances around with that big goddamn sword and kicks my rear end. Any tips on taking him on with melee only? I can't stay close to him but for half a second and his attacks are tricky to dodge up close. I'm soul level 60 (30 dex , 28 vit, 28 end) with a +9 winged spear and that ring wraith looking armor. Maybe I should come back later?

The way I did it was to dodge poo poo until he does the three attack combo. When you see him start that block and just push forward under his legs. You should block the first one but once you're underneath him the second and third attacks won't touch you and you should be able to get several hits off.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

The Wise Teen posted:

Might be kinda late, but something not a lot of people know is only the edges of the pendulum blades can hurt you. You can start running early, run against the middle as it passes by, and have maximum speed when it moves out of the way. This is the only way I know of to dash past the four-in-a-row set that comes later on.

Also, reposting my previous question whether I should upgrade my cleaver on the normal path to take advantage of it's high strength scaling, or upgrade it to lightning for the elemental damage.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

doesn't it de-aggro hostile npcs?

I sure hope it does for your sake.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Cicadas! posted:

Might be kinda late, but something not a lot of people know is only the edges of the pendulum blades can hurt you. You can start running early, run against the middle as it passes by, and have maximum speed when it moves out of the way. This is the only way I know of to dash past the four-in-a-row set that comes later on.

Also, reposting my previous question whether I should upgrade my cleaver on the normal path to take advantage of it's high strength scaling, or upgrade it to lightning for the elemental damage.

I guess that depends on your strength???

Hamare
Jul 21, 2010

Why is the winged spear so popular? I tried it out, and although it's fast, it's not nearly as useful as the halberd (favorite weapon!) Does it scale up better when upgraded?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I guess that depends on your strength???

I'm rolling a high-strength build, but I just don't know how long it would take (if ever) for the cumulative bonus from STR scaling to surpass the extra lighting damage. The stunning from the lighting is nice too.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Hamare posted:

Why is the winged spear so popular? I tried it out, and although it's fast, it's not nearly as useful as the halberd (favorite weapon!) Does it scale up better when upgraded?

I think it scales pretty well with DEX, so it's better for different builds.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Ok, finally got done the Depths...holy Hell, I hated that...and the Gaping Dragon will give me nightmares! :gonk:

I got a key...but I don't know where to use it...how do I even get to Blighttown? I know it's under Firelink Shrine, somehow, but I've only found Londo Ruins and Drake Valley there.

Numbers
Jul 13, 2000

Ovaltine Jenkins posted:

The way I did it was to dodge poo poo until he does the three attack combo. When you see him start that block and just push forward under his legs. You should block the first one but once you're underneath him the second and third attacks won't touch you and you should be able to get several hits off.

Cool, thanks i'll try that.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hamare posted:

It's better than the regular spear, and you can attack while blocking with spears. I tried a halberd and didn't find it to my taste; even with enough strength to wield it your character staggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
Being invaded is intense, haven't felt such a rush since Demons Souls.

What made it more terrifying was that I am still low level, a few hours into the game, but I'd managed to amass 4k in souls.

I was on half health and my last sip from the flask. The invader looked a few levels up, had a special poison sword and cool armour.

Even worse, I had the drake sword BUT I'd currently equipped my scimitar to preserve the durability of the drake for bigger enemies; no time to change it in the middle of the fight!

I managed to keep my nerve and patiently wear him down, relying on my Demons Souls experience, whilst he must've been quite new to the experience as he panicked, flailing at me with no regard for stamina and how that would affect his blocking.

I finished him with a backstab and received 6000 souls, an insane amount for my low level character. I made it back to the bonfire and just feasted on experience, hells yes.

• Locked thread