Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Amazon dropped the price of the official hardcover guide to $13.74 right after they shipped my copy Friday for $24 :argh:
http://amzn.to/qB8tEP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I know classes don't really mean much in the game, but what do people feel is the best to start out as? I personally like the Bandit. Having an axe right away is always a nice plus.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Great. I literally JUST bought the guide at gamestop.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Aggh, same here. :argh:

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Gyoru posted:

Amazon dropped the price of the official hardcover guide to $13.74 right after they shipped my copy Friday for $24 :argh:

God loving DAMMIT! I ordered the guide from Gamestop because I didn't think Amazon would be getting the guide back in stock so soon, and then this happens.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The guide is still £12 for us brits so that's like nearly :20bux:. Going to try and get the fog ring tomorrow. Hopefully I don't invade the guy that managed to get his friends phantom into his game to help farm souls. 4 times in a row I got my rear end kicked while they gloated like bastards.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Can I juat ask, am I doing this poo poo backwards?

I'm getting into Blighttown from the top, thanks to the master key, and I'm trying to get to the base level to get the green titanite from the slugs. I want to use this to fully upgrade my winged spear into a divine winged spear+5 so I can go to New Londo Ruins and the Catacombs and gently caress everything the hell up.

Am I making things ridiculously hard for myself?

I love the open-ended nature of this game, it was pretty much the only thing Demon's Souls lacked.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

What's the easiest way to get back to Darkmoon from the Blighttown entrance?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Just got me the hardcover guide :dance:

Thank you so much for posting that.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The guide is still £12 for us brits so that's like nearly :20bux:. Going to try and get the fog ring tomorrow. Hopefully I don't invade the guy that managed to get his friends phantom into his game to help farm souls. 4 times in a row I got my rear end kicked while they gloated like bastards.

You don't lose souls when you die for the forest invasions, at least. It's just annoying to 2v1.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
I was killing these rock dudes in Darkroot Basin, and all of a sudden a big water blast hits me. I look over to my right, and see motion. I probably sat there for a good 20 seconds before I realized what I was looking at was a gigantic loving hydra with at least 4 heads writhing back and forth across the water. I don't think I've ever been so intimidated in a game before.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Sarcophallus posted:

You don't lose souls when you die for the forest invasions, at least. It's just annoying to 2v1.

Yeah I've managed to kill 1 guy because the caster NPC hit him in the back for about a billion damage. I got the ring that makes you totally silent I just need the fog ring to make me a silent ghost bastard.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I thought you could double up on spells? Like slot them twice to get 2x casts? Im really getting in trouble in Sens Fortress because I run out of casts and im not beefy enough to fight the monsters on my own. Even magic weapon doesnt help that much.

What upgrade path should I take for an int scaling weapon?

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Vatek posted:

I was killing these rock dudes in Darkroot Basin, and all of a sudden a big water blast hits me. I look over to my right, and see motion. I probably sat there for a good 20 seconds before I realized what I was looking at was a gigantic loving hydra with at least 4 heads writhing back and forth across the water. I don't think I've ever been so intimidated in a game before.

I keep trying to get up the ladder to the left of him (my left, his right) to see where it goes, but he always catches me with his water breath.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
By the way, anyone going into the Ruins The blade that the ghosts drop can hurt them without having to use a Transient Curse

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Smelly posted:

By the way, anyone going into the Ruins The blade that the ghosts drop can hurt them without having to use a Transient Curse

That is damned useful, seeing as they cost 4,000 souls a pop.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Meme Emulator posted:

I thought you could double up on spells? Like slot them twice to get 2x casts? Im really getting in trouble in Sens Fortress because I run out of casts and im not beefy enough to fight the monsters on my own. Even magic weapon doesnt help that much.

What upgrade path should I take for an int scaling weapon?

The Magic path has higher base damages for the weapons, but ~C scaling for intelligence, while the Enchanted path has lower base damages but either B or A scaling for intelligence, so it's up to you. If you have very high intel, I'd probably go for Enchanted.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Gazmachine posted:

It doesn't do a lot, but hey, better than nothing.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Man alive. What a day. First I go into human form and am advancing my way through the parish. I get invaded by a priest who uses his magic to force me off a bridge. Oh well, not much lost. I try the same approach, recover my bloodstain, get a few souls together, and go back to human form.

Get invaded in the EXACT same spot, yet fortune smiles upon me and I find a summoning beacon. I bring a homie into the world to help out with this rear end in a top hat.... except he isn't there, and the way to the blacksmith is now blocked off.

So my homie heads into the chapel with the black knight that has that bigass shield. turns out this is where the other invading dude is hiding, who has some wicked gear and starts slowing all of us. My bro isn't much help and gets slaughtered by the black knight. I stick it out for a while trying to flee but eventually I get clubbed by that bastard.

I take the high road and decide going human in that area isn't the best method, so I work my way through and make it to the blacksmith! Finally, I decide a victory beer is in order so I toss my controller carelessly aside.... Which results in me giving the black smith a little love-tap with my shield. He goes aggro, gently caress my life.

Time to restart I suppose.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Gyoru posted:

Wow, this literally changed from $13.74 back to $24.99 in the time it took me to enable my 6-month student's free trial of Amazon Prime. Guess it wasn't meant to be.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002

Gazmachine posted:

Careful, since if you're not cursed, you can't block the ghosts's attacks.

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004
This games makes me feel like more of an idiot than most puzzle games. I must've died 10 times to the Bed of Chaos before I realized you had to jump into the pit. That fight really likes to kill you while you're trying to just figure out what the hell is going on.

Also, what are the best ways of obtaining humanity outside of joining a covenant? I've basically been playing the entire game in undead form and don't even have my white soapstone yet. I'm off to join the chaos servants and supposedly you need humanity to raise your rank?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

gently caress Anor Londo. gently caress.

I got past the second gargoyle and I have to fight these really lovely white demons that are impossible to take on two at a time, so I carefully lure them out and kill them (which takes a while since they're so dodgy).

Then I'm going down to the next spot, and I get shot in the side by an arrow and fall to my death. Upon respawning, much to my frustration, those annoying loving demons respawn like regular enemies (really? gently caress you from software), so I kill them all again since they're really hard to run past, and I'm going down the same narrow bridge.

I look at where the arrow came from with my shield up and see nothing and no one. And then I'm struck with an arrow that was shot out of absolutely nowhere and pushed off the ledge by the force.

I'm just going to sprint through all of this because I just cannot give two shits anymore. gently caress.

FUCK TORNADO
Sep 10, 2008

enojy posted:

Wow, this literally changed from $13.74 back to $24.99 in the time it took me to enable my 6-month student's free trial of Amazon Prime. Guess it wasn't meant to be.

It's still showing up as $13.74 for me.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

gently caress TORNADO posted:

It's still showing up as $13.74 for me.

It's gone up and down in the last few minutes.

Now it's $13.74 with only 6 copies left, so anyone who wants one should get on that asap :haw:

e: Aaaaand it's up to 15 in stock with "more on the way" so I guess it's not as pressing.

e2: and now it's "In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process" I don't think Amazon knows what the gently caress is going on with this guide.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 9, 2011

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007
I'm kinda confused about the New Londo Ruins. I've looked all over, cleared the whole area. I ran into the NPC up on the building, reached what looks like an elevator shaft, but the door is locked and everything is inoperable. Am I supposed to come back way later? I've already rung both bells and cleared to Anor Londo.

I have a feeling I can lower the water level here because of where I see stuff but I don't know. :saddowns:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Bobnumerotres posted:

gently caress Anor Londo. gently caress.

I got past the second gargoyle and I have to fight these really lovely white demons that are impossible to take on two at a time, so I carefully lure them out and kill them (which takes a while since they're so dodgy).

Then I'm going down to the next spot, and I get shot in the side by an arrow and fall to my death. Upon respawning, much to my frustration, those annoying loving demons respawn like regular enemies (really? gently caress you from software), so I kill them all again since they're really hard to run past, and I'm going down the same narrow bridge.

I look at where the arrow came from with my shield up and see nothing and no one. And then I'm struck with an arrow that was shot out of absolutely nowhere and pushed off the ledge by the force.

I'm just going to sprint through all of this because I just cannot give two shits anymore. gently caress.

I had this same problem with the archer guys. If it makes you feel better there's A bonfire in the door to the left, as soon as you get past those guys and into the castle

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Where in Anor Londo is Havel's Armor? I see some places say Lord Gwyn's Manor but I have no idea where that is. Is that past the goldish fog gate?

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

enojy posted:

It's still $13 bucks. Click on the 'New from $13' text and Amazon's deal will be the first option.

e: And it's changed again in the time it took me to click through the ordering process.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Znorps! posted:

So ended up getting the Drake sword by shotting that fucker from under the bridge. I know to some of you that's weapon is cheating but I feel like it's giving me just enough of an edge to get out of some sticky situations.

The drake sword isn't cheating. Now the halberd on the other hand... that's pretty much cheating. I feel like I'm steamrolling this game.

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004

Jaros posted:

Where in Anor Londo is Havel's Armor? I see some places say Lord Gwyn's Manor but I have no idea where that is. Is that past the goldish fog gate?

I forget the exact room but its near the 2nd bonfire past those archers. Theres a hidden wall in an empty fireplace in one of the side rooms. Theres a bunch of chests in the basement with the Havel equipment. One of them is a mimic so be careful.

Valkrye
Aug 11, 2008

Jaros posted:

You know the bonfire inside the manor? Has the holy sun knight inside, well outside from there the room across from the room filled with dragon heads is a room with a fireplace, attack the fireplace.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Jaros posted:

Hit every fireplace you find.
e:f,b

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Zain posted:

I know classes don't really mean much in the game, but what do people feel is the best to start out as? I personally like the Bandit. Having an axe right away is always a nice plus.

I started out as a Knight and am not regretting it. Your starting stats will have you set up to get the heal miracle very early, which is handy in a pinch, and it also starts you out with some high-poise armor, so you won't be knocked on your rear end as much. Granted, you will be very slow early on.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Jaros posted:

On the same floor inside the castle as the bonfire. You have to roll through a hidden wall in a fireplace in one of the rooms.

As for starts, personally I like cleric. You start with heal, and can buy a second heal miracle from the priest near the start. Equipping them both means doing 10 heals after hitting any bonfire. Very useful.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Is the guide going to be a pretty limited run? I'm not going to have to shell out $300 for it a couple months down the line am I?

CardTech
Nov 11, 2009

Baseball bro'ing at a super-high level

Gyoru posted:

Thanks for posting this. Looking forward to reading this in a few days.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What objects can drop things? I'm talking about pots, barrels, bookshelves, etc. What should I be hitting with my sword other than enemies?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Elysiume posted:

What objects can drop things? I'm talking about pots, barrels, bookshelves, etc. What should I be hitting with my sword other than enemies?

Nothing other than enemies drop items. There are just occasionally items hidden under objects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I just made the dragon bone fist from a +10 cestus and Iron golem's soul

I want those souls back.

It's basically the fist of god from demons souls if the fist of god didn't have magic damage tied to it. And the base damage is rather poo poo. The weak swing is decently fast though and doesn't use much stamina at all. It'd probably do all right if I had any sort of weapon enchantment spell (I dont).

• Locked thread