Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Hatter106 posted:

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned an elevator below Queelag, where is it? I remember a circular platform down by the covenant guy that looked like it might move, but didn't do anything...

Also, for my first playthrough I'm making a fairly balanced VIT/STR/END/DEX character, PvE only, no magic, what paths should I look at for upgrading my weapons? I know Raw bumps up the base damage, anything else? I just don't wanna use the drat Drake Sword all game long.

The elemental upgrades are pretty much the best, go lightning/fire when you can. The only stat scaling upgrades are for Faith and Int so you wont be able to get something that upgrades with Dex like last game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Can spears backstab?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

VulgarandStupid posted:

Can spears backstab?

Probably the most amusing way to finish a Boar yes.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Elysiume posted:

If you mean in the inventory, that tab is for sorcery/pyromancy/miracles.

Oh, that explains a lot:downs:

Thanks for the help guys! I guess the downside of making Dark Souls open world is that it's really easy to get lost. Would a map be too much to ask for, nice people at From Software?

Quick Edit: Yes, Spears and Halbreds can backstab

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

VulgarandStupid posted:

Can spears backstab?

Yup, you just can't be blocking and the sweet spot is a little finicky.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Dammit, I wish I knew the power of Divine weapons scaled with Faith before I had a Divine Longbow +4. Is this thing going to be any use to me at all, or should I retool it as Raw, or Fire or Lightning when I get the ability to?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

Make your way along the balconies with The Most Annoying Mages Ever. Theres a door exactly opposite the balcony you entered from the prison tower that you need to get to, youll have to use the swivel towers to get there.

So wait, I go up in the room attached to the bonfire? I see the mages but I kill both of them and get up there, see nothing.

Nevermind, got it. Thank you!

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 12, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
So apparently divine sucks and lightning is amazing. What about Chaos, Occult, etc?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Meme Emulator posted:

The elemental upgrades are pretty much the best, go lightning/fire when you can. The only stat scaling upgrades are for Faith and Int so you wont be able to get something that upgrades with Dex like last game
Huh? The normal upgrade line keeps all normal scaling, including strength/dex. Several demon weapons retain various scales for dex/strength as well.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Elysiume posted:

So apparently divine sucks and lightning is amazing. What about Chaos, Occult, etc?

Not sure yet. I've got a longsword at +10 and Queelag's Soul but I can't get the stupid blacksmith to make me a weapon.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Rascyc posted:

Huh? The normal upgrade line keeps all normal scaling, including strength/dex. Several demon weapons retain various scales for dex/strength as well.

Oh I meant they dont change the scaling to be better like the sticky bow did for Dex in Demon souls.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Oh, that explains a lot:downs:

Thanks for the help guys! I guess the downside of making Dark Souls open world is that it's really easy to get lost. Would a map be too much to ask for, nice people at From Software?

Quick Edit: Yes, Spears and Halbreds can backstab

You're playing a game whose express intent is to poo poo all over you in every way possible and you want a map?

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Does reinforcing a weapon ever improve scaling? Someone earlier in the thread said it did but I've upgraded weapons to +10 and haven't seen it yet.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Rascyc posted:

For what it's worth, this chart has all of that data. I can't verify the contents of this.

vv: Yeah, this one has more data, but the other one looks a lot prettier. Guess I'll put that one up here again as well.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 12, 2011

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
^^^ oh neat, thanks for that. Didn't realize they upgraded the chart with some specific details. Hm kinda wish there were more weapons to make though.

Captain Seafart posted:

Not sure yet. I've got a longsword at +10 and Queelag's Soul but I can't get the stupid blacksmith to make me a weapon.
Queelag's Soul is for +10 katanas and +10 curved swords. Not longswords. Upgrade a scimitar or falchion to +10 if it's the Furyblade you're looking to make.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 12, 2011

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
gently caress yeah, Stray Demon is down. I cut his goddamn rear end in a top hat until he died from it.

Now to slip on a ring of sacrifice and open the farm.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Oh gently caress, green titanite shards are for fire and lightning upgrades too. :suicide:

So since I'm almost there anyway, what's up with Occult? What does it do, how can I get it, and does it scale with Faith?

Edit: Errr. So they are.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Rollersnake posted:

Oh gently caress, green titanite shards are for fire and lightning upgrades too. :suicide:

So since I'm almost there anyway, what's up with Occult? What does it do, how can I get it, and does it scale with Faith?
All of those answers are in the diagram I posted, a few posts up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well, I just spent an assload of souls and shards upgrading the Zweihander to +6. It doesn't seem that great. Please tell me I didn't make a horrible mistake.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Wait a sec...according to that chart no boss soul ascendes a +10 Longsword? Daaaarrrkk sssooulls

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(
Couple of quick questions:

1) What is that boss looking thing down stairs from Andrei the Blacksmith in the Parish? Is it worth killing? I notice you cannot summon in that area and if you summon outside fog doors show up blocking you (someone, I think, tried this when I went to help them).

2) Can you upgrade shields at all? Andrei doesn't seem to want to :(

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to make sweet love to him! FROM THE BACK!!
RRRRRRRRR
So, I don't know if anyone has made this clear, but you don't actually need the kneel emote to join the Darkmoon Covenant. I don't know if anyone else thought that they did, but the wikis definitely gave me the impression that that was the case.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

hahahaha I finally make it to Quelaag and am human so Mildred can help me, she gets stuck in the geometry and is completely useless during the fight :(. Blight town wasn't too terrible, the only thing I would change, design wise, is the unlimited flies, a guy needs to take a breather sometimes .

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Kiwillian posted:

Couple of quick questions:

1) What is that boss looking thing down stairs from Andrei the Blacksmith in the Parish? Is it worth killing? I notice you cannot summon in that area and if you summon outside fog doors show up blocking you (someone, I think, tried this when I went to help them).

2) Can you upgrade shields at all? Andrei doesn't seem to want to :(

1) That's a Titanite Demon, It's not a boss but it's there to discourage you from going down there. You can kill it now, but it's risky.

2) Shields are located under the weapons tab, at the bottom.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

NESguerilla posted:

Well, I just spent an assload of souls and shards upgrading the Zweihander to +6. It doesn't seem that great. Please tell me I didn't make a horrible mistake.

I'm still using my Lightning Zweihander. 260 Damage and 260 Lightning the only con is that you lose your stat bonus.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Can you use an enchant spell on a divine/occult weapon? Or does it have to be on a weapon which only does physical damage?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I have Quelaag's soul and a +10 Scimitar, but I'm not seeing the option to upgrade. Same thing with the Moonlight Butterfly soul and a +10 shield. Do I have to take it to a certain blacksmith, or have a certain ember? I tried the blacksmiths in Undead Parish and New Londo.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

So I got the Lordvessel but I pretty much feel like I'm stuck anywhere I try to go. I'm almost debating starting over with a new strategy in mind now that I know how to fight certain enemies, what to upgrade, not to waste shards, etc. Hrm.

Traxis posted:

I have Quelaag's soul and a +10 Scimitar, but I'm not seeing the option to upgrade. Same thing with the Moonlight Butterfly soul and a +10 shield. Do I have to take it to a certain blacksmith, or have a certain ember? I tried the blacksmiths in Undead Parish and New Londo.

Gotta be Anor Londo I think.

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

Traxis posted:

It's the blacksmith in Anor Londo.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(

McTimmy posted:

1) That's a Titanite Demon, It's not a boss but it's there to discourage you from going down there. You can kill it now, but it's risky.

2) Shields are located under the weapons tab, at the bottom.

I am SL20, is that enough? I started as pyro but have (and can 1H) the drake sword. Otherwise, pyro armour and a 100% Phys shield, which is probably useless given his lightning...

Not sure what you mean on #2. I checked and re-checked for him to upgrade and didn't see it anywhere. Maybe I was just being blind.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Blarfo posted:

It's the blacksmith in Anor Londo.

100 God Dammits. I've been at the one at the Parish this whole time.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Hmm, is this part of the game or just a glitch? I was down where those sweeping axes were, and one of the serpent-headed monsters was just chilling out, leaning on the wall with his arms crossed. He wasn't an NPC or be talked to, and could be targeted like normal, but he wasn't hostile. IT was really weird.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

McTimmy posted:

It's actually not a terribly difficult fight when you first get here if you have an agile character—I beat it before the Gargoyles and had less trouble with it. It's slow and predictable, and the hardest thing about the fight is the rubble littering the floor of the room getting in your way.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

McTimmy posted:

You can cheese it with arrows from behind one of the chunks of column in there. You can hit it, it just keeps uselessly throwing lightning into the chunk.

... You can also run by it. There's a few cool things back there (and enemies you won't be able to damage unless you've got pyromancy), and when you get to the bottom of the area and head toward the crystals, one of the coolest early game deaths EVER! :3:

The sky just goes white, then... you die. Then you go back, and... realize why the sky went white. And then die again.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 12, 2011

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Miserable Maid posted:

Hmm, is this part of the game or just a glitch? I was down where those sweeping axes were, and one of the serpent-headed monsters was just chilling out, leaning on the wall with his arms crossed. He wasn't an NPC or be talked to, and could be targeted like normal, but he wasn't hostile. IT was really weird.
I think his main purpose is to entice you to switch the boulder path to squish him. in doing so, you open up a secret area with big hat the trainer.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~

Rascyc posted:

^^^ oh neat, thanks for that. Didn't realize they upgraded the chart with some specific details. Hm kinda wish there were more weapons to make though.

Queelag's Soul is for +10 katanas and +10 curved swords. Not longswords. Upgrade a scimitar or falchion to +10 if it's the Furyblade you're looking to make.

Damnit, I have my Iaido to +9 and getting ready to make it +10 and was considering to use Queelag's soul to make it a Chaos Blade - is the Chaos a lot worse than Furyblade? Should I just turn my Iaido into a lightning sword instead?

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Filthy Monkey posted:

I think his main purpose is to entice you to switch the boulder path to squish him. in doing so, you open up a secret area with big hat the trainer.

B-b-but... He's not doing anything! He's just relaxing. That's messed up. Looks like I'm not getting Big Hat this playthrough.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Shalinor posted:

You can cheese it with arrows from behind one of the chunks of column in there. You can hit it, it just keeps uselessly throwing lightning into the chunk.

... You can also run by it. There's a few cool things back there (and enemies you won't be able to damage unless you've got pyromancy), and when you get to the bottom of the area and head toward the crystals, one of the coolest early game deaths EVER! :3:

The sky just goes white, then... you die. Then you go back, and... realize why the sky went white. And then die again.

Haha, how did you not see or hear the giant loving hydra? Maybe the most deceptively easy boss of the whole game. Of course I say that after dying like five times to it.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Kiwillian posted:

I am SL20, is that enough? I started as pyro but have (and can 1H) the drake sword. Otherwise, pyro armour and a 100% Phys shield, which is probably useless given his lightning...

Not sure what you mean on #2. I checked and re-checked for him to upgrade and didn't see it anywhere. Maybe I was just being blind.

I was able to do it at around that level I think. I was using the Drake Swords 2H Heavy Attack--the wind slash thing. To fight it at a distance. Getting in close was dangerous because of the rubbles but possible to do. If you wanna use the Heavy Attack, farm some souls first since it will be low on durability before the Demon dies, but you can repair it an the Blacksmith.

Shields are under Reinforce Weapons. If you aren't seeing them, maybe you don't have an upgradable shield? You should have at least one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Miserable Maid posted:

B-b-but... He's not doing anything! He's just relaxing. That's messed up. Looks like I'm not getting Big Hat this playthrough.
I seriously doubt he actually needs to be there in order for the patch to open. Just divert a boulder that way anyway.

• Locked thread