Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LorentzViolator
Sep 6, 2006
Does the Robin Hood costume visible in some preview pictures actually exist in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Sistergodiva posted:

Ok, So I finished 1-1 in Demon's Souls. Where do I go now? I've tried to get a blessed weapon but I can't seem to be able to clear either the shiny skeletons or the nasty ratmen shits. Should I just grind? Or just try until I manage to?

I'd just get a mace and grind out the shiny skellies until you get get to the blessed weapon in the area. I remember doing that, and lvl'd into a comfortable zone pretty quickly. Demon's Souls does not have nearly a structured soul drop rate, and the skellies are the best you can get for a while.

In other news, Sen's Fortress is so confusing that I'm actually going to have to draw a map just to get through it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm already planning my 'loving rear end in a top hat' run. Step 1: Get to Anor Londo and past the Four Kings at as low a soul-level as possible. Step 2: Join Darkwraith. Step 3: gently caress people up.

I kinda wish the Book of the Guilty recorded things besides people who broke covenants because I plan to be in it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Palleon posted:

Can anyone explain exactly how poise and stability work? From my understanding poise is the ability to not be staggered when you block, and stability reduces stamina loss while blocking
Stability affects the endurance cost when getting hit while blocking.

Poise affects whether or not you stumble when getting hit while NOT blocking. Poise is the "gently caress you, I'm drinking a potion and there's nothing you can do about it" stat.

... but no idea on the equations.

EDIT: VV Yeah, I think the dogs are my second least favorite enemy so far. Below curse frogs, obviously.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Shalinor posted:

Yeah, kinda wondered. A dodger in there would be screwed, there's just no space. As a blocker, I think I just lucked out, as I'd recently upgraded the Hollow Warrior Shield to +5 (loving fucker fuckery fuckstick Gargoyles - though it felt awesome to finally beat them). Even with that, noticed he was doing a surprising amount of stamina damage on blocks.

The dogs though... eeh. They've got a pretty predictable attack cycle that you can mostly time. I think I could take them out consistently, no sweat. As a dodger, though, fuuuuuck that fight must suck.

The other problem is that the small space means your camera is often hosed. Predictable attack cycle means dick if all you can see is a zoomed-in view of your soon-to-be-kicked arse. I got lucky on my second attempt, which is how I wound up beating him (dogs dodged my attacks and kept dodging, allowing me to get some room and seperate them from boneface, after which it was just a one-on-one which I won), but the first I got backed into a corner and worn down. Plus the dogs are annoying in general, gently caress those things.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Pierson posted:

I'm already planning my 'loving rear end in a top hat' run. Step 1: Get to Anor Londo and past the Four Kings at as low a soul-level as possible. Step 2: Join Darkwraith. Step 3: gently caress people up.

I kinda wish the Book of the Guilty recorded things besides people who broke covenants because I plan to be in it.

Beating Four Kings at low level is gonna be the bottleneck there, good luck!

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

LorentzViolator posted:

Does the Robin Hood costume visible in some preview pictures actually exist in the game?

Yep. There is a hard to find Forest Hunter that shoots you with a bow and runs away. If you kill him he drops the stuff.

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
gently caress these Anor Londo snipers. Doesn't matter how fast I get up there, I always fall off the edge. Everything up to now was hard but not the loving bullshit this section is.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

enojy posted:

Beating Four Kings at low level is gonna be the bottleneck there, good luck!

Yeah if you manage to do it Pierson post your strategy in here because I'd love to hear it, I've got no idea how I could do it myself

ericthebear
Mar 4, 2011

Pierson posted:

Just rang the first bell at level 10, working on the asylum demon v2.0. It's really too bad that your account name is visible instead of your character name. I really wanted to make an rear end in a top hat themed name.

Edit: Make that level 9.

Edit Edit: I have a super awesome plan for Four Kings though.

ericthebear fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 13, 2011

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Curse frogs aren't that bad, there's a full set of curse resist armor in blighttown and the curse timer isn't instantaneous. You can just back up out of the fog. I've only gotten cursed once and that was in the great hollow.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The leeches in Blightown Swamp drop Large Titanite, about 2-4 per circuit. They also drop green titanite in bunches of five. Just use the bonfire, run forward till you reach the wall, turn to the left and hug the wall to start the circuit. You'll run into several slugs in no time.

What do the slugs look like? I don't think I ever encountered one in the swamp.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Oh yea, that's another thing I wanted to mention. That Chaos Covenant dude sells a book that lets you see all the people in the covenant and their contribution. Some lunatic has dropped 691 humanity on it :psyduck: I dunno what's worse, the sheer amount he's given away or the fact that I will never earn that much to begin with!

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

andrew smash posted:

Curse frogs aren't that bad, there's a full set of curse resist armor in blighttown and the curse timer isn't instantaneous. You can just back up out of the fog. I've only gotten cursed once and that was in the great hollow.

I dunno where you get the curse resistant ring but if it's too late for that bit it makes those sections a doddle in ng+.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
I'm kinda tempted to start another save with a heavy armor/big sword kind of guy.

Fellblade posted:

I dunno where you get the curse resistant ring but if it's too late for that bit it makes those sections a doddle in ng+.

New Londo.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

MadJackMcJack posted:

Oh yea, that's another thing I wanted to mention. That Chaos Covenant dude sells a book that lets you see all the people in the covenant and their contribution. Some lunatic has dropped 691 humanity on it :psyduck: I dunno what's worse, the sheer amount he's given away or the fact that I will never earn that much to begin with!

Pretty sure he exploited the Dragon Breath glitch to get that much.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

So help me God if they patch the Stooge A.I. I will poo poo.

Stooge?

I wonder what they mean by adjusting things. Balance changes?

Oh and I meant to ask, how do you get the lightning spear spell in the game? I saw it used a lot in demos of the game before its release but it's nowhere in the game.

There's also some other spells like being able to summon crystals and poo poo I've seen in japanese gameplay videos.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

MadJackMcJack posted:

He almost certainly exploited all that in with the item glitch. Edit: beaten

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Healbot posted:

Pretty sure he exploited the Dragon Breath glitch to get that much.

Heh, is it wrong that I relived that he cheated to do that?

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008

Shalinor posted:

Yeah, kinda wondered. A dodger in there would be screwed, there's just no space. As a blocker, I think I just lucked out, as I'd recently upgraded the Hollow Warrior Shield to +5 (loving fucker fuckery fuckstick Gargoyles - though it felt awesome to finally beat them). Even with that, noticed he was doing a surprising amount of stamina damage on blocks.

The dogs though... eeh. They've got a pretty predictable attack cycle that you can mostly time. I think I could take them out consistently, no sweat. As a dodger, though, fuuuuuck that fight must suck.

Guess your mileage may vary as gently caress Carpa Demon and his horrible loving dogs. Eat the first strike, then try to avoid him and the dogs (so many deaths, ok only about 10, due to those loving dogs), try to heal, kill his dogs, then realise that without his dogs he is a really easy boss.

Gargoyles though, I did not know about their tail axe, otherwise I would have suicided. Only took one hit from them, and wasted them without issue.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

So, in Anor Londo, the annoying-as-gently caress two Silver Knights with javelins that constantly throw them at you as you try to get up the structure (after two Sentinels and five of the harpy things), were constantly knocking me off, I tried this run and died 17 times before I got past it.

If you're having trouble with this like I was, the solution?

Lock-on to the right Silver Knight once you get up, he can't knock you off the ledge if you're holding your shield up after you lock-on.

Why didn't I think of that much sooner. :argh:

(at least I got several Giant's Halberds out of it)

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Bobnumerotres posted:

Stooge?

I wonder what they mean by adjusting things. Balance changes?

I think he means the Darkroot Forest soul exploit, where you can get 3 guys to tumble off a cliff one after another in under a minute for 6,000 a run.

I liked having that around because it let me level all my weapons to +5 and play around with them since its so close to the smith, but it loses it's usefulness pretty quickly. No big loss.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

gibbed posted:

So, in Anor Londo, the annoying-as-gently caress two Silver Knights with javelins that constantly throw them at you as you try to get up the structure (after two Sentinels and five of the harpy things), were constantly knocking me off, I tried this run and died 17 times before I got past it.

Those aren't javelins, they're arrows. :gonk:

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vatek posted:

I'm kinda tempted to start another save with a heavy armor/big sword kind of guy.

I was tempted to re-roll as a dexterous and fleet of foot agility monster but rolling in this game is horribly useless compared to waltzing about in a big suit of armour and taking multiple hits to the face 2 hits instead of 1.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

lohli posted:

Oh there's a cap on humanity and it's bonus? That makes the ring that much better then. What is the humanity/bonus cap, 20/+100? I took my humanity up to 14 or so and I think the item rate was up to about 170.

I think it is 30 stored humanity/+110 item find. Any more humanity than that does nothing for item find.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Palleon posted:

Can anyone explain exactly how poise and stability work? From my understanding poise is the ability to not be staggered when you block, and stability reduces stamina loss while blocking, but if anyone actually has math or a more detailed explanation, I'd like to know, because I can't figure out what armor I want to use. Is it worth getting 5 poise at the expense of 5 DR and 3 weight? And how significant is the difference between 55 and 60 stability, what do those numbers really mean?

Poise has to do with your stance in general, whether you are blocking or doing something else (casting, attacking, drinking a flask, etc.) The higher your Poise, the harder an attack must be to disrupt your action.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

I think he means the Darkroot Forest soul exploit, where you can get 3 guys to tumble off a cliff one after another in under a minute for 6,000 a run.

I liked having that around because it let me level all my weapons to +5 and play around with them since its so close to the smith, but it loses it's usefulness pretty quickly. No big loss.

6000? That's the big deal? That might jump you to SL50 but after a while you get pretty tremendous diminishing returns on your souls, and late-game enemies offer thousands of souls each so you'll always have souls around for repairs and upgrades.

Once you reach late game souls pretty much have no value. It's like collecting coins when you have 50 lives in Mario.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Ramagamma posted:

I was tempted to re-roll as a dexterous and fleet of foot agility monster but rolling in this game is horribly useless compared to waltzing about in a big suit of armour and taking multiple hits to the face 2 hits instead of 1.

It's not as bad as you think; it might be worth trying on a second character, when you have a feel for enemy hit frames and your roll's invincibility frames.

The biggest problem with the <25% roll is that you have no poise, and getting hitstunned by lowly poo poo like dredglings is a dealbreaker for me.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ericthebear posted:

All I can think of is grab the Lightning Spear from Sen's Fortress and spend all souls on upgrading materials rather than levels, get it as high as possible. Then get Havel's armor in the secret basement Anor Londo.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Bobnumerotres posted:

6000? That's the big deal? That might jump you to SL50 but after a while you get pretty tremendous diminishing returns on your souls, and late-game enemies offer thousands of souls each so you'll always have souls around for repairs and upgrades.

Once you reach late game souls pretty much have no value. It's like collecting coins when you have 50 lives in Mario.

Yeah, once you reach Andor Londo, the forest glitch is kind of pointless. 900 souls for a silver knight right beside a bonfire with other knights there? Hell yeah.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

^^With the lightning spear or any other upgraded elemental weapon that dude goes down in two hits, if you do it right it's 2700 souls a minute and doesn't rely on chance.

enojy posted:

All I can think of is grab the Lightning Spear from Sen's Fortress and spend all souls on upgrading materials rather than levels, get it as high as possible. Then get Havel's armor in the secret basement Anor Londo.

Is there any way to grind for chunks of anything in the game? I wish there was a solid list on locations for the materials.

I know you only get one slab or "pure" stone of each kind per playthrough, but I know I've seen chunks and twinkling titanite drop from certain enemies that respawn.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 13, 2011

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Ramagamma posted:

Re-roll as a dexterous fleet of foot agility monster, get a shitload of endurance and laugh as you block nearly any attack in the game. The only real downside is a lack of poise since the best armor choice for a lightweight character is the gold-hemmed robes unless you use the +20% hp/stam/weight ring and Havel's ring at the same time.

Once you get decent endurance and a good shield (Hollow Warrior's is like the de-facto choice early game), you don't even need to roll anymore. You just block everything and when your stamina runs low, use your move speed to back off and regen. If you use a spear, you'll be even harder to kill since you can tank ridiculous poo poo with the shield and just poke things to death from behind it.

The only downside is that it can get a little tedious at time since spears aren't exactly damage monsters, so a lot of enemies are a slow grind of blocking and poking. Then again, I've been using a spear since almost the beginning of the game so I really have no idea if poo poo like the Gargoyle Axe, claymores, zweihanders, etc do that much more damage.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 13, 2011

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Ramagamma posted:

I think I high dex rolling thief type is the best way to go. I played one in Demon's Souls so I went the other direction with a knight. You stand there, watching a guy with your Matrix like reflexes throw a crap attack at you, swing around him, and one shot him in the back with a sweet one kill animation.

This game is tough for everyone at first. But rolling? That's the business.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Vatek posted:

The only real downside is a lack of poise since the best armor choice for a lightweight character is the gold-hemmed robes unless you use the +20% hp/stam/weight ring and Havel's ring at the same time.
I was farming curse eyes using a curse-resistant setup with almost no poise. I got stunlocked by rats and killed ... at level 60. It made me really appreciate having poise again.

Let me tell you, poise can let you play a bit more sloppily.

I just took out the mintaur boss on the ramparts at level 1, anyway. Without taking damage too. Just waited until he attacked, backed up to avoid it, threw a firebomb, and repeat.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

ericthebear posted:

Just rang the first bell at level 10, working on the asylum demon v2.0. It's really too bad that your account name is visible instead of your character name. I really wanted to make an rear end in a top hat themed name.

Edit: Make that level 9.

I was thinking of making a new PSN account so I can be Big Hat Logan and freak people out when I invade. :v:

For the 4 kings, get iron flesh and you're set, if you want to do them at SL20, you'll want to know the stats of whatever item you're planning to use(super upgraded halberd/spear is nice), spec upto the requirements, and then all the rest goes into an even split between vit and endurance.

Also I am SL70 or something and still have 10 vit :haw:

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

So whats the best covenant for pvp anyway? And by pvp i mostly mean ganking unaware dudes.

canada jezus fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 13, 2011

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lohli posted:

Also I am SL70 or something and still have 10 vit :haw:

So everything one-hits you unless you use iron flesh?

Also, iron flesh has to be the free-est, easiest way out spell in the game. Sure you're reduced to moving at 10% regular speed but you get damage reduction of like 90% that isn't based on any stats. It makes the final boss kind of a joke.

And my pyromancer died before I bothered to learn that spell, and I killed the chaos pyromancy teacher (egg dude).

quote:

So whats the best account for pvp anyway? And by pvp i mostly mean ganking unaware dudes.
Join darkmoon/darkwraiths, or the chaos covenant. Have different kinds of elemental weapons (fire and lightning) and annoying pyromancy/faith/magic spells such as acid cloud, force, chaos fire whip/flamethrower, homing soul arrow (super expensive and late game but holy gently caress), etc.

The trick is to get around conventional defenses and really annoy the poo poo out of them until they are frustrated/panicked and run, and then you swing in for the kill.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 13, 2011

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Volvagia posted:

gently caress these Anor Londo snipers. Doesn't matter how fast I get up there, I always fall off the edge. Everything up to now was hard but not the loving bullshit this section is.

I got super lucky with them. When I went up the ledge to the right sniper I dodge rolled under the arrow and the knight proceeded to sidestep off the ledge. Must have been scared of me. :smug:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Also, if a message is helpful to you, rate it up! I know that needed to get out your orange stone is irritating, but the person who wrote it will get a humanity. I try to put out helpful messages, but nobody ever seems to rate them positive or negative.

That is also why you sometimes see messages that say "Need humanity". They just want you to rate the message up so they get some humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

canada jezus posted:

So whats the best account for pvp anyway? And by pvp i mostly mean ganking unaware dudes.

Account? :confused:

Are you sure you understand how pvp works? There is no open world pvp, you can't just run around and find people fighting poo poo and stab them in the back.

• Locked thread