Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
How the gently caress do I get out of Blighttown? I rode the elevator but I couldn't find the exit. I'm sick of dying because of finicky platforms. edit: oh my god I found a ladder.

I just want to see the sun :qq:

Do I need to jump a gap?

vv: Haha, I hope I never get summoned by you.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
^^ Look for ladders. There are a poo poo-ton of ladders, and there's almost always a torch next to the base and top of a ladder, since they are kinda hard to see. There's also a vertical dead end or two mixed in that rickety shithole, so you might need to go across a bridge then look for other ladders.

The.GreyWolf posted:

The blue eye orb only works in the darkmoon room? What kind of idea is this?

It works all over the place? Any level that a person can go through and be invaded in, anyways. That means most of the world, excluding a few bonfires, dead-ends, and mid-loading zones. It's like the invasion item you're expecting, but it only targets The Guilty.

NESguerilla posted:

It' amazing to me how few people realize you have to heal phantoms. Even at Sens fortress it's like 10% have figured that out.

Have to? If I summon a phantom who keeps stepping in front of hammers, I'm not going to blow one of my precious five flasks to drag him along, I'm going to let him die off and summon someone else who can block, dodge, or brings his own heal spell along. If I'm injured, I'm glad to share flask-glow with my phantoms, or if someone is doing really well and catches an unlucky hit from a boss I'll try to keep him in the fight longer, but as a phantom you are really not very important.

The Wise Teen posted:

I'm sure this has been asked, so sorry about that, but if I joined the Forest Covenant, can I go re-join the Way of White and get the soul farming loop back until I re-join the Foresters?

If you leave the Covenant in an inoffensive way, either by converting or by hitting up the 'Hug Me' guy in the bell tower, then you can slaughter woodland creatures all you want, and the cat will be happy to have you back later.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 14, 2011

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I spent a big part of the evening hanging out in front of Capra's fog gate, putting down summon sign after summon sign. I killed him 8 times, and then joined the Sunlight covenant with only 11 Faith.

I hope I got to help out somebody here. Having a friend or two makes Capra die fast.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Wise Teen posted:

I'm sure this has been asked, so sorry about that, but if I joined the Forest Covenant, can I go re-join the Way of White and get the soul farming loop back until I re-join the Foresters?

From what I've seen in the game, you're free to join covenants and re-join them as you please with no penalty. You only get poo poo from them if you get kicked out for breaking one of their restrictions (in the case of the Forest Covenant, you'd be fine so long as you only killed the forest guardians while NOT a member of the covenant). Simply abandoning them by joining another one doesn't seem to bother them at all. The one thing is that you WILL lose any standing you had with them and have to start over - you do get to keep the items though.

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

"That man...I'm...fascinated by him. That look...his whole look. It's hypnotic."
Okay so I have a Zweihander +8, and 7 large titanite shards, but I can't get andrei to upgrade it any further. When I go to the modify weapon screen there is no option to upgrade to +9. Am I missing something? Not enough souls?

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Jesus christ, just got invaded 5 times in a row in he forest. The ring that makes you impossible to lock on to is bullshit, if I didn't have a horizontal slash weapon I'd be hosed. I had like 50k souls after the 4th one and went back to where I just killed the hydra to get to a bonfire, but the door at the bridge by the waterfall had a fog gate, was that because I just had a 5th invader?

Earlier I went to free the magician in dukes archive and he wasnt there when I unlocked the cell, he was however sitting in the library selling spells. Did I miss any items because of this?

When killing Knight Lautrec and getting the soul to revive the woman by firelink shrine, do you get anything for reviving her aside from the fire being rekindled?

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
So just before quitting the forest Cult out of anger I got summoned, and as soon as I appeared the guy poo poo his pants and ran off a cliff, effectively giving me a blue titanate chunk and the ring I was looking for.

So I'm ready to dick out of the cult. Who is the ninja with the flip ring? Shiva down in the Blighttown swamp? I don't really want to piss the covenant off, so I think I'll leave him be for now and come back later, unless that flip/ring is really, really worth it. Is it?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Almost Smart posted:

The S&O boss of Anor Londo is crazy loving poo poo. I was level 57, had two phantoms, and we just barely squeaked through it. At one point, I had to haul rear end across the room and clumsily fumble through menus trying to finding humanity or anything that would restore my health. How in the world would anyone be able to do that fight single-handed?

By being a complete badass :black101:

I love that fight, I constantly try and get summoned for it and have stopped my forward progress too often to try and refight them again and again.

If you have someone who actually knows the fight, they'll probably be kiting along S while you can focus down O.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

two questions:
why is every single talisman worse than the starting cleric talisman? Even the sunlight talisman?

I need exactly one chunk of white titanite. what drops it? everything in giants tomb, or only the casters close to the boss gate that look like pinwheel

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Am I getting ahead of myself? I'm in the Undead Parish, I beat that armored boar, but all the enemies around this area are kicking my rear end. I've got a Hollow shield and the bandit's dagger, and that's it. Nothing is upgraded, I'm level 14, and while I'm getting better at parrying, I run into stuff like those elite knights that just kill me over and over. Even the archers are giving me hassles. Is there some other place I should be?

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 14, 2011

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Welp. I was exploring the catacombs at SL70, I fell down accidentally, fell down a second pit, and then fought a club-wielding dark knight.

Well, not really a fight, more like before I could recover from the fall he swung at me and stun-locked me, then swung at me again before I could defend or even raise my shield.

I had a wolf's ring on. Never again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

StringOfLetters posted:

Have to? If I summon a phantom who keeps stepping in front of hammers, I'm not going to blow one of my precious five flasks to drag him along, I'm going to let him die off and summon someone else who can block, dodge, or brings his own heal spell along. If I'm injured, I'm glad to share flask-glow with my phantoms, or if someone is doing really well and catches an unlucky hit from a boss I'll try to keep him in the fight longer, but as a phantom you are really not very important.

You're an idiot. Don't summon if you are going to be selfish.

BTW when I am phantoming I get hit by the boss about 1 time on average yet I never get healed. What am I supposed to do with 5% health? I'd rather hang in the background and hope the dumbass that summoned me wins so i cam get some souls.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 14, 2011

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

areyoucontagious posted:

Am I getting ahead of myself? I'm in the Undead Parish, I beat [spoiler]that armored boar[/b], but all the enemies around this area are kicking my rear end. I've got a Hollow shield and the bandit's dagger, and that's it. Nothing is upgraded, I'm level 14, and while I'm getting better at parrying, I run into stuff like those elite knights that just kill me over and over. Even the archers are giving me hassles. Is there some other place I should be?

No, you're in the right place. You will always feel this way. That's just what the game is like.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
That's cool Mr. Four Kings. Just hand my rear end to me.

Closest I've gotten so far is 50% of the health bar. I'm trying to go gung ho two handed to take them out as fast as I can, but no dice.

Also is there a faster way to them? I'm respawning at the bonfire between darkroot and valley, and running through the drakes and darkwraiths are pretty uh... annoying, especially when I slip up once.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Almost Smart posted:

The S&O boss of Anor Londo is crazy loving poo poo. I was level 57, had two phantoms, and we just barely squeaked through it. At one point, I had to haul rear end across the room and clumsily fumble through menus trying to finding humanity or anything that would restore my health. How in the world would anyone be able to do that fight single-handed?

Certain builds make this game pretty trivial. High stamina with a tower shield or high end glass cannon magic user seem to be the two recognized in this thread. I play the former and I beat S&O on my first try alone. I've actually never summoned anyone into my game for any boss. There is no need to when you can tank 90% of the attacks in this game for about 1/3-1/5 of your stamina bar.

I also use a giant club and stun locked Ornstein to death in one combo. The entire fight lasted maybe 3 minutes. Demon Souls was a way way way harder game than this in my opinion.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

evilalien posted:

Yeah, you can. You have to fully complete his quest line though: Rescue him in Sen's, buy all of his spells in Firelink so he leaves, rescue him in the Duke's archives before you kill Seathe, buy all of his spells in the library, talk to him in the library after killing Seathe, find him hollowed where you first fought Seathe.

I'm in the archives right now. Where exactly is the key to his cell?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

Before I farm up 80 Humanity and blow it all, does anyone know for a fact whether or not rank 3 Darkwraith actually does anything of note?

Doesn't do poo poo.

Spike McMayhem
Jun 3, 2005

Mind if I rape ye, then?
Uh.. was.. was I just attacked by the initial Pyromancy trainer in the swamp? I'm farming leeches and suddenly some jerk starts hitting me with an axe and plugging my rear end with fire.

Why, Pyromancy dude. :smith: I could have left you in that barrel, y'know :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Cheshire Cat posted:

No, you're in the right place. You will always feel this way. That's just what the game is like.

Yeah, except for going back to starting areas after 10-15 hours you're never not going to die in 3 to 5 hits. The trick is figuring out whether to dodge, block, or simply not engage attacks and enemies.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Spike McMayhem posted:

Uh.. was.. was I just attacked by the initial Pyromancy trainer in the swamp? I'm farming leeches and suddenly some jerk starts hitting me with an axe and plugging my rear end with fire.

If you tell him about the Pyromancy trainer in the Swamp, he goes looking for her and turns hollow. :(

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spike McMayhem posted:

Oh is THAT who attacked me down there? I had someone do that at one point but I didn't recognize it as him (I did notice he'd disappeared from Firelink after I told him where I got the chaos fireball). Maybe he went crazy. People tend to do that in this game.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Well, no invasions from red or blue stones. Why do you do this to me, Dark Souls? Running my Xbox through my laptop wouldn't cause any network weirdness, would it?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sarcophallus posted:

If you tell him about the Pyromancy trainer in the Swamp, he goes looking for her and turns hollow. :(

Speaking of, do you ever see that rear end in a top hat who mocks you nonstop at Firelink, then gets annoyed by Frmapt and leaves again anywhere?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

RBA Starblade posted:

Speaking of, do you ever see that rear end in a top hat who mocks you nonstop at Firelink, then gets annoyed by Frmapt and leaves again anywhere?

Pretty sure I killed him near the start of the New Londo ruins yesterday.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Yes. You get to kill him in New Londo

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
My new character is phantoming for someone with Solaire's armor at level 12.

He killed him... :stare:

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

doctor 7 posted:

This is 300+ pages of people complaining about how much this game sucks rear end

This is harsh. Evaluate me.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Garin posted:

That's what's so great about this game. You can just kill any NPC you want, and you almost always get stuff for it! There are reasons to both kill people or leave them alive.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Hell yeah, finally got through Blighttown. Beat the boss with the help of Maneater Mildred and some random dude I summoned by the bonfire. I also bought most of the pyromancies from the lady in the swamp but ran out of souls before I could get Firestorm.

So, uh, how do I get back out? Do I have to climb back up? Going straight heads to the Demon Ruins and I'm pretty sure I don't want to mess with that yet.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Does anyone know the parameters for the Large Sword of Moonlight (or whatever it's called in this game). I figure wielding it is as good of a direction for a build as I could hope for on an initial run.

Also, is it actually any good in this game? It was mediocre in Demon's Souls.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
You don't gently caress with Solaire. He's your bro. If only we could be so grossly incandescent...

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Garin posted:

Soliare's shield is actually really good. Same stability as a hollow soldier shield, while looking swankier.

That said, I just white phantomed for somebody with his gear too :(. She was wearing his armor, gloves, hat, and weapons, but no pants.

Spike McMayhem
Jun 3, 2005

Mind if I rape ye, then?

Sarcophallus posted:

You know what, considering he would have had to go through Blighttown to get there, that makes a lot of loving sense.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Krinkle posted:

two questions:
why is every single talisman worse than the starting cleric talisman? Even the sunlight talisman?

I need exactly one chunk of white titanite. what drops it? everything in giants tomb, or only the casters close to the boss gate that look like pinwheel

I think you can get a white titanite by trading the rubbish to that crow, right?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I seriously do not understand what the gently caress in the bed of chaos boss fight.

Here's how the first 7 attempts have gone for me.

Attempt 1, tried to attack hands, got swatted and killed.
Attempt 2, tried to attack the face, got swatted and killed.
Attempt 3, Attacked the glowing orange thing at its back, got a cutscene, panned camera to the boss to see if it's telegraphing a new attack while I run and fell into a hole.
Attempt 4, Attempting to circle around to the other side of the boss, get swatted into a hole.
Attempt 5, Finally made it to the other side and destroy the other deal on it's back. Get promptly burned to gently caress and swatted into a hole.
Attempt 6, looking for another weak point, I walk into the middle of the room to get swatted into the big hole in the middle.
Attempt 7, In an attempt to jump across the hole onto a root platform, the boss burns me and then swats me into the hole.

And every attempt since then has been attempt 7 all over again. Please tell me there isn't much more to this bullshit fight after this?

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Filthy Monkey posted:

Soliare's shield is actually really good. Same stability as a hollow soldier shield, while looking swankier.

That said, I just white phantomed for somebody with his gear too :(. She was wearing his armor, gloves, hat, and weapons, but no pants.

Sex crime reported.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

How and when do you gain the ability to teleport between bonfires?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Speedboat Jones posted:

I think you can get a white titanite by trading the rubbish to that crow, right?

oh, then I already did that. Thanks though! I am just farmin these dogs until someone tells me they don't drop it ever

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

So I seriously do not understand what the gently caress in the bed of chaos boss fight.

Here's how the first 7 attempts have gone for me.

Attempt 1, tried to attack hands, got swatted and killed.
Attempt 2, tried to attack the face, got swatted and killed.
Attempt 3, Attacked the glowing orange thing at its back, got a cutscene, panned camera to the boss to see if it's telegraphing a new attack while I run and fell into a hole.
Attempt 4, Attempting to circle around to the other side of the boss, get swatted into a hole.
Attempt 5, Finally made it to the other side and destroy the other deal on it's back. Get promptly burned to gently caress and swatted into a hole.
Attempt 6, looking for another weak point, I walk into the middle of the room to get swatted into the big hole in the middle.
Attempt 7, In an attempt to jump across the hole onto a root platform, the boss burns me and then swats me into the hole.

And every attempt since then has been attempt 7 all over again. Please tell me there isn't much more to this bullshit fight after this?

The middle root is the end of the fight. You just have to bait it into a swipe then run across as soon as it ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrdraayl
Apr 13, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

Yeah, that's about it. Just jump across the gap, land on the tree branch and run forward.

• Locked thread