Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
I almost gave myself a heart-attack but was able to take out all of the curse frogs in the sewers. The reward was well worth it, a ring that gives you back HP for every enemy you kill. It's about the closest we get to a regen ring this time around I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

The Flying Milton posted:

How far is the blacksmith from the bonfire?
I remember him being pretty far away from where you are... I think you have to get past around 15 silver knights, too (not sure about the exact number but I killed a lot of them). Once you get to him though, you can open a shortcut back to the center area which helps with a lot of things.

Oh and you said you were trapped, unless I understood wrong you should be able to backtrack through the archers and go back to where you started Anor Londo; A gargoyle thing sitting on top of the wall will helpfully take you back to Sen's Fortress.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I really enjoy the expansiveness of this game. I just keep finding new areas every direction I turn. Still, I long for the days of a centralized Nexus :911:

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

VerySolidSnake posted:

I almost gave myself a heart-attack but was able to take out all of the curse frogs in the sewers. The reward was well worth it, a ring that gives you back HP for every enemy you kill. It's about the closest we get to a regen ring this time around I believe.

Wait, what? I accidentally fell into one of those holes and had to kill them all. I didn't get any ring. Where is it?

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I just found out that the lady I saved from the Tomb of the Giants was killed. It's kinda obvious it was Petrus, but after checking the wiki for verification, it seems there was supposed to be a scene involving Lautrec and the full story on why Petrus wanted to kill her. I murdered Lautrec back when he started to be a creep long time ago, so what did I miss exactly?

E: Whoa-ho-ho, attacking people with the Dark Hand's humanity sucking attack makes you feel like such a loving badass holy poo poo. Just grab them and steal their soul :black101:

smuh fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 15, 2011

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

Minorkos posted:

Wait, what? I accidentally fell into one of those holes and had to kill them all. I didn't get any ring. Where is it?

I found it on a corpse that was laying against a gate. I must of ended up killing 8 of those frog things by the time I got there. I just kept fighting further and further in and it was a dead end at the point I found the ring.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I got curious and touched a painting, and then rested at a bonfire.

This place is cool as poo poo! But the, uh, harpy things and fire-belching tumor dudes are really fierce!

I love this game.

I read someone mentioned they get invaded by an NPC phantom here, will that happen if I clear to the boss, pop a humanity, and stagger around for a while?

Also I was trying to phantom for literally anyone at the first (only?) bonfire there, didn't get a summon. :sigh:

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

doomfunk posted:

I got curious and touched a painting, and then rested at a bonfire.

This place is cool as poo poo! But the, uh, harpy things and fire-belching tumor dudes are really fierce!

I love this game.

I read someone mentioned they get invaded by an NPC phantom here, will that happen if I clear to the boss, pop a humanity, and stagger around for a while?

Also I was trying to phantom for literally anyone at the first (only?) bonfire there, didn't get a summon. :sigh:

Go through the shortcut to the courtyard, then take an immediate right to the area with all the bodies on pikes to find the phantom.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

VerySolidSnake posted:

There isn't a regen ring but there IS a regen SHIELD at one point, dropped by an NPC Black Phantom in the Tomb of Giants. He shows up at the point when you just head outside a bit. Don't knock him off the cliff!

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

doomfunk posted:

The harpies are the most hilarious god drat enemy, they just kept jumping to their deaths while I walked around in peace :allears:
As for the NPC phantom, yeah that's how it works basically. You have to be in a specific area though, from the main gate it's inside and to the right into the big open area. If you beat him, you get a totally sweet hat right before the exit!

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I live for totally sweet hats.

To think I was just on my way to leave Anor Londo to farm titanite and phantom for Queaeaeeeallaeg for a bit for some humanity. Can I come back to where I am if I clear it and beat the boss?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

doomfunk posted:

I live for totally sweet hats.

To think I was just on my way to leave Anor Londo to farm titanite and phantom for Queaeaeeeallaeg for a bit for some humanity. Can I come back to where I am if I clear it and beat the boss?

The black phantom won't show up if you beat the boss.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I get the gist of what some of you folks are saying about souls and dying to enemy types, it was just annoying I guess, I can't help but feel like I've gimped myself to, using a straight up warrior, its obvious I may need other combat options. Maybe I'll re-roll, someone left me a message saying try pyromancer so perhaps I'll go with that.

There's one thing I don't understand, what do covenants do?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Alright, finally got to make my true final build in NG+. Lightning Demon Great Machete +5, with over 700 attack. And, on my left arm, a Crystal Ring Shield, which nets me a good 1300 damage depending on what I shoot. Took down O+S on my first try, S first, O second. Was so easy, it felt criminal.

I think I just broke the difficulty curve.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut
Carefully cleared my way through the Catacombs all the way to the big clearing with the wheel skeletons. Killed them one by one and then wandered over to the blacksmith... and found an unbreakable brick wall. I guess I have to backtrack through the whole Catacombs now and find the correct path to him because this one (that the map in the futurepress guide says isn't blocked...) doesn't work. Argh.

Definitely glad I have a divine weapon, though. The areas with the mages would have been awful if the skeletons respawned.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alteisen posted:

I get the gist of what some of you folks are saying about souls and dying to enemy types, it was just annoying I guess, I can't help but feel like I've gimped myself to, using a straight up warrior, its obvious I may need other combat options. Maybe I'll re-roll, someone left me a message saying try pyromancer so perhaps I'll go with that.

There's one thing I don't understand, what do covenants do?

As a warrior, you can still pick up and use some pyromancy as a backup option without having to reroll; one of the advantages of pyromancy is none of the spells have stat requirements to use, so although they scale based off your int, you don't need int just to use them. You can also upgrade your catalyst item a bunch at the trainer to boost the damage mod on it so you don't even need int to scale your damage up.

As for Covenants, it depends on which one. Mostly it's "Gives you some neat stuff". Some of them you can just join and then leave without having to do anything else and you've gotten all that covenant has to offer. Others allow you to do specific special things, like the Darkmoon allowing you to invade people who have sinned, or the Forest covenant allowing you to invade anyone who's in the area of Darkroot Garden past the seal.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I love helping out as a White Phantom in this game. Somehow managed to get summoned for O+S at level 72! It certainly beats that stupid Forest trick for getting a large amount of souls quickly.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

So I was wondering. Do shield bash attacks from greatshields actually do anything special, like high stamina damage to guarding enemies, or are they just completely useless?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I thiiiink they'll make human enemies stumble but other than that, not really. I mean, aside from making dual shields somewhat viable.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Cheshire Cat posted:

As a warrior, you can still pick up and use some pyromancy as a backup option without having to reroll; one of the advantages of pyromancy is none of the spells have stat requirements to use, so although they scale based off your int, you don't need int just to use them. You can also upgrade your catalyst item a bunch at the trainer to boost the damage mod on it so you don't even need int to scale your damage up.

As for Covenants, it depends on which one. Mostly it's "Gives you some neat stuff". Some of them you can just join and then leave without having to do anything else and you've gotten all that covenant has to offer. Others allow you to do specific special things, like the Darkmoon allowing you to invade people who have sinned, or the Forest covenant allowing you to invade anyone who's in the area of Darkroot Garden past the seal.

So what I get unique equipment for joining them?

What about the sin stuff I've heard, something about breaking it, is the game clear on what I can and can't do or is it vague.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Kaelan Zero posted:

Carefully cleared my way through the Catacombs all the way to the big clearing with the wheel skeletons. Killed them one by one and then wandered over to the blacksmith... and found an unbreakable brick wall. I guess I have to backtrack through the whole Catacombs now and find the correct path to him because this one (that the map in the futurepress guide says isn't blocked...) doesn't work. Argh.

Definitely glad I have a divine weapon, though. The areas with the mages would have been awful if the skeletons respawned.
There's a circular stairway back up a bit that cuts off at a point, you need to jump down to a ledge below, and then down again, When you go down the hole that path will open up.

Be warned, you cannot see the ledge below, and will probably die several times trying to make it, or like me, land at the bottom with a sliver of health left. :v:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is there a bonfire near this giant red dragon chilling above a doorway in Undead Burg? I am scared to run at it because I'll respawn so far back. :ohdear:

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Wildtortilla posted:

Is there a bonfire near this giant red dragon chilling above a doorway in Undead Burg? I am scared to run at it because I'll respawn so far back. :ohdear:
There's a bonfire directly across!

However, what you should do is rush to the middle of the bridge, there's a stairway down, one of the openings below will lead to more steps down, you can open a shortcut to the bonfire that you are probably currently using.

You should probably use your shield!

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Sacrificial Toast posted:

So I was wondering. Do shield bash attacks from greatshields actually do anything special, like high stamina damage to guarding enemies, or are they just completely useless?

The shield bash does quite a bit of stamina damage while having a relatively low stamina cost itself.

Also of note is that heavy weapons can bounce off greatshields(i.e. the attacker recoils) which leaves even the larger and more powerful enemies(like giant skeletons) open to counter-attacks.

The weapons that won't bounce off are (mini/)boss weapons/attacks, weapons wielded with two hands, and weapons wielded by giant armoured dudes(includes the less giant but still pretty big black knights with greatshields).

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Is the spell power within worth it in the long run? Should I take up one of my 4 attunement slots for it? Also I can't find that Pyromancer in the Swamp. I haven't beaten blighttown's boss, but I have my flame up to level 10 as well as the old witch's ring. Unless it's that spider lady afterwords?

Zain fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 15, 2011

Tarradax
Jan 8, 2008

It will work!
Can anyone give specific instructions on how to find the smith in the catacombs? I'm at the bonfire behind the secret wall, although I've already killed Pinwheel (On my 1st try, too. Pathetically easy boss).

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut
The sign in Pinwheel's chamber that says 'Weakness: Anywhere' pretty accurately describes that boss, so I had to give it a +1. What a snoozer.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

One small unimportant thing I noticed: The item descriptions for the Pendant and the Sunlight Medals are exactly the same :confused: Seems like maybe bad translation or a weird bug or something.

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

smuh posted:

One small unimportant thing I noticed: The item descriptions for the Pendant and the Sunlight Medals are exactly the same :confused: Seems like maybe bad translation or a weird bug or something.

Yeah, it looks like they accidentally attached the Sunlight Medal's next to the Pendant (as well as the Sunlight Medal).

I wonder what it was supposed to say...

edit:

lohli posted:

Also of note is that heavy weapons can bounce off greatshields(i.e. the attacker recoils) which leaves even the larger and more powerful enemies(like giant skeletons) open to counter-attacks.

The weapons that won't bounce off are (mini/)boss weapons/attacks, weapons wielded with two hands, and weapons wielded by giant armoured dudes(includes the less giant but still pretty big black knights with greatshields).

Rather than certain classes of shield automatically causing recoil in certain classes of opponents, I think it's just based on the shield's stability. I was using the tower knight shield (starting shield for Knight class) and I was having trouble with enemeies not recoiling; so I switched to the Eagle shield and they started recoiling. But now I switched again to a silver knight's shield (not a greatshield) and I'm not seeing any differences in what recoils vs what does not. The giant skeletons in the Tomb of the Giants still recoiled, for example.

ozymandOS fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 15, 2011

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I summoned two helpful guys for the gargoyles, then promptly got knocked off the roof. :v:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

BP posted:

Rather than certain classes of shield automatically causing recoil in certain classes of opponents, I think it's just based on the shield's stability. I was using the tower knight shield (starting shield for Knight class) and I was having trouble with enemeies not recoiling; so I switched to the Eagle shield and they started recoiling. But now I switched again to a silver knight's shield (not a greatshield) and I'm not seeing any differences in what recoils vs what does not. The giant skeletons in the Tomb of the Giants still recoiled, for example.

Yea thats not too crazy of an idea, a +5 silver knights shield which is what ive been using for a long while has a crazy 87 stability and only weighs 6. Its really nice, aside from the crappy fire damage cut.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

smuh posted:

The harpies are the most hilarious god drat enemy, they just kept jumping to their deaths while I walked around in peace :allears:
As for the NPC phantom, yeah that's how it works basically. You have to be in a specific area though, from the main gate it's inside and to the right into the big open area. If you beat him, you get a totally sweet hat right before the exit!

So you mention his hat and not the bitching unique whip you get from him?, that dude will gently caress you up though, he uses chaos pyromancies wich can one shot you if he gets you stuck in his AoE attack, I killed him by hiding behind the blocks in that area.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

smuh posted:

Namco is really bad at localization. Pretty good at marketing, but terrible localization. We were spoiled for Atlus's version of Demon's Souls.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Stiggs posted:

This was a while back, but could you post what stats you're using for this build? I think I wanna try out something similar for my next character.

Also I assume you took the Master Key gift for early access to Queelag?
Nah, I didn't take the master key, I took the pendant. Early access to Queelag wouldn't have helped me much. The biggest hurdle is just getting through the capra demon to open the pyro trainer, and all that really takes is an upgraded hollow soldier shield. poo poo, you could kill it with nothing but firebombs if you want (like the Taurus demon).

I've leveled up a little more, to 21 (wanted some endurance), while farming titanite chunks from the skeletor dudes. I did most of the game so far at 15 though, all the way through Anor Lando and Sif. Current stats are 14 vit, 16 att, 16 end, 16 str, 12 dex, 12 res, 10 int, 8 fai. The 16 str was mainly for the drake sword, which certainly makes Queelag easier, though if you are really hellbent on keeping your level as low as possible you could go without raising strength at all. I am still waffling on which way I want to take this character. I could still make him into pretty much anything with his current stats.

Currently wearing Smeogh's armor, a lightning claymore +4, and havel's ring. Swiching out serpent ring and bellowing dragoncast rings depending on whether I need to farm or put on a good pyromancy show. The claymore was mostly because some things are irritating to hit with a spear. You seem to whiff on the ghosts in new lando ruins a lot, and you ever try to cut off gaping dragon's tail with a spear? The 2h R1 from the claymore makes it a lot easier.

Next major goal is probably taking out pinwheel, to see where the carry weight mask lands me while wearing the rest of fatty's set.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 15, 2011

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

KezzKezzan posted:

Namco is really bad at localization. Pretty good at marketing, but terrible localization. We were spoiled for Atlus's version of Demon's Souls.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why Atlus didn't publish it again this time around? Demon's Souls was pretty successful, I think. Was there some kind of contractual obligation between From and Namco that needed fulfilling?

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

AzMiLion posted:

that dude will gently caress you up though, he uses chaos pyromancies wich can one shot you if he gets you stuck in his AoE attack, I killed him by hiding behind the blocks in that area.
Yeah as soon as I realized how his attacks worked I just stopped locking on completely and just ran around, waited for him to cast something and slashed him up. One of those enemies that you can't just hide behind a shield when fighting.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
After doing the Darkroot Garden grinding spot when required, not once did I ever think to use the ring that gives you more souls from kills.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

S-Alpha posted:

Alright, finally got to make my true final build in NG+. Lightning Demon Great Machete +5, with over 700 attack. And, on my left arm, a Crystal Ring Shield, which nets me a good 1300 damage depending on what I shoot. Took down O+S on my first try, S first, O second. Was so easy, it felt criminal.

I think I just broke the difficulty curve.
Does the magic ring scale of physical attack or will an enchanted weapon be just as ludicrous?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why Atlus didn't publish it again this time around? Demon's Souls was pretty successful, I think. Was there some kind of contractual obligation between From and Namco that needed fulfilling?

It's possible that Namco secured publishing rights with From when they localized Demon's Souls in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Found the Pyromancy trainer in blightown, and I have to say flame whip is awesome! I'm tempted to replace combustion with it, though it takes a while to finish casting.

• Locked thread