Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

enojy posted:

So it goes.

There need to be more Vonnegut references in Darks Souls discussions. It's oddly appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Double Monocle posted:

Can anyone enlighten us on the netcode for Dark Souls?
Cause thats my biggest complaint about demons souls. The lag.

I never experienced any lag myself in Demon's Souls, but as with all online games, your mileage will vary. Dark Souls uses Peer to Peer this time with a master server to find and connect people together.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
Just picked it up today thanks to this thread. Pity I'm busy with work for the rest of the week and am going on to a wedding this weekend :argh:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

fivetwo posted:

My mistake then. I got the "heavily compressed" thing from this post:

http://www.justpushstart.com/2011/06/09/e3-2011-dark-souls-ps3-is-superior-360-version-heavily-compressed-onto-one-disc/

Yeah, they really had to work hard and sacrifice a lot to squeeze that whole 3.7gb onto one dual layer DVD.

e: drat all the people reporting finding the game early! The only places to even get games around here are all the big chains that won't break street date, and the only little shop that would have done something like that closed down a few months ago.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
My local Gamestop is doing a midnight release, more for Rage and whatever sport game is being released, but it still means I can pick up Dark Souls at midnight. I'm gonna be a total nerd and take the day off work and enjoy this.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
UPS delivers around 3PM for my area, which works out perfect as I work until 4. I can come home and go straight to playing if I want to.

Now if that's going to happen is another issue. But I enjoy the fact that I will be getting home to a sweet package of death.

Edit: Funkmaster, I'm in the same boat there; the only places around here are Gamestop and Walmart, and neither will break street date. :(

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

IGN is doing a 24-hour marathon livestream of Dark Souls on Thursday (9/29): 12 PM PST / 3 PM EST
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1196640p1.html

Dark Souls topped the Media Create Sales Chart for Week 38, 2011 (Sep 19 - Sep 25) in Japan with 279k PS3 copies sold. (DS was officially released on 9/23)
Demon's Souls only sold 23,000 units during its first week in Japan in comparison.

quote:

01./00. [PS3] Dark Souls <RPG> (From Software) {2011.09.22} (¥7.800) - 279.567 / NEW
02./00. [PS3] ICO / Shadow of the Colossus Limited Box <ADV> (SCE) {2011.09.22} (¥6.980) - 91.902 / NEW
03./00. [PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 6 <ACT> (Konami) {2011.09.22} (¥5.250) - 64.350 / NEW
04./00. [360] Gears of War 3 # <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2011.09.22} (¥7.140) - 56.113 / NEW
05./01. [WII] Dragon Quest 25th Anniversary: Famicom & Super Famicom Dragon Quest I-II-III <RPG> (Square Enix) {2011.09.15} (¥4.440) - 54.775 / 318.174 (-79%)
06./00. [3DS] Senran Kagura: Shoujotachi no Shinei <ACT> (Marvelous Entertainment) {2011.09.22} (¥5.980) - 52.206 / NEW
07./00. [PSP] Busou Shinki: Battle Masters Mk. 2 <ACT> (Konami) {2011.09.22} (¥5.800) - 32.318 / NEW
08./00. [PS3] To Heart 2 DX Plus # <ADV> (Aqua Plus) {2011.09.22} (¥8.379) - 24.429 / NEW
09./02. [PS3] Tales of Xillia # <RPG> (Bandai Namco) {2011.09.08} (¥8.379) - 22.484 / 595.386 (-52%)
10./00. [WII] Champion Jockey: Gallop Racer & G1 Jockey <TBL> (Koei Tecmo) {2011.09.22} (¥7.140) - 18.281 / NEW
11./05. [WII] Rhythm Heaven <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.07.21} (¥5.800) - 17.354 / 469.914 (+18%)
12./00. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (PSP the Best) <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.09.22} (¥2.990) - 14.924 / NEW
13./04. [WII] Wii Sports Resort with Remote Plus <SPT> (Nintendo) {2010.11.11} (¥5.800) - 14.876 / 566.992 (-2%)
14./00. [PS3] Shadow of the Colossus <ADV> (SCE) {2011.09.22} (¥3.980) - 13.420 / NEW
15./07. [NDS] Kirby Mass Attack <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.08.04} (¥3.800) - 12.658 / 231.815 (+16%)
16./08. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.06.16} (¥4.800) - 11.596 / 391.734 (+10%)
17./06. [PS3] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 HD Ver. <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.08.25} (¥4.800) - 9.263 / 383.276 (-30%)
18./00. [PS3] Shadows of the Damned <ADV> (Electronic Arts) {2011.09.22} (¥7.665) - 9.145 / NEW
19./12. [3DS] Pokemon Rumble Blast <ACT> (Pokemon Co.) {2011.08.11} (¥4.800) - 8.722 / 170.367 (+13%)
20./00. [PS3] ICO <ADV> (SCE) {2011.09.22} (¥3.980) - 7.941 / NEW

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 28, 2011

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

So the area with the orchestral music and the knight that says "get a little scared..." is kind of the portal that connects to everything?

I also saw something weird in the vxds video where he's walking down some stairs, you hear a dragon sound and he suddenly gets +10000 souls?

It's at about 44:30 in http://www.twitch.tv/vxds210/b/295628558

To be honest, I've never played a game of this genre before. Should I not even bother with this or the prequel?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

actionjackson posted:

I also saw something weird in the vxds video where he's walking down some stairs, you hear a dragon sound and he suddenly gets +10000 souls?

Someone was talking about this earlier, that particular streamer got a glitch during one of the boss fights where (not really spoilers, but...) the boss fell through the floor and died a bit later without any interaction from the player.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Gyoru posted:

IGN is doing a 24-hour marathon livestream of Dark Souls on Thursday (9/29): 12 PM PST / 3 PM EST
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1196640p1.html

Dark Souls topped the Media Create Sales Chart for Week 38, 2011 (Sep 19 - Sep 25) in Japan with 279k PS3 copies sold. (DS was officially released on 9/23)

This is great news! Good to see that From is getting the sales for this game that it deserves.

actionjackson posted:

To be honest, I've never played a game of this genre before. Should I not even bother with this or the prequel?
If you're interested, go for it. Now, if you're on the fence because of price, I say get Demon's Souls first. That way, you're not dropping $60 on a game you might not care for.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

actionjackson posted:

So the area with the orchestral music and the knight that says "get a little scared..." is kind of the portal that connects to everything?

Yeah, he shot one arrow, and the thing died. The stream went ballistic when that happened.

In regards to the game: Do you like dying a lot? Do you like a high but usually fair difficulty?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Smelly posted:

This is great news! Good to see that From is getting the sales for this game that it deserves.
Yeah, Demon's Souls only sold 23,000 units during its first week in Japan in comparison. Dark Souls blew past 250,000 units in only 2-3 days.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I think it's due to the way it was advertised. I don't really know how well Demon's Souls was advertised over there but I imagine they went all out on this one.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

actionjackson posted:

Like Smelly said, you might want to check out Demon's Souls first due to it only costing $20 and helps you get a feel for what Dark Souls will be like. Both games will play similarly, but with Dark Souls being more open-ended.

The gameplay is a mix between Zelda, Monster Hunter and Oblivion with a lot of challenge and a good deal of punishment for failure (but failing is not as bad as it first looks). If any of that sounds appealing, give the games a shot.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The.GreyWolf posted:

Yeah, he shot one arrow, and the thing died. The stream went ballistic when that happened.

In regards to the game: Do you like dying a lot? Do you like a high but usually fair difficulty?

Not usually. I do like Zelda as the other poster mentioned but I generally like games where I can adjust the difficulty. I also get somewhat intimidated by more complicated games, which this seems to be in terms of all the different classes, builds, items, weapons, etc. I'm also used to having checkpoints. Trying to rent it sometime is probably the best option for me.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Funkmaster General posted:

Someone was talking about this earlier, that particular streamer got a glitch during one of the boss fights where (not really spoilers, but...) the boss fell through the floor and died a bit later without any interaction from the player.

So the moral here is that, if you find a boss just too drat challenging and can't find a way past it, just keep beating at it, because sooner or later it's bound to just glitch out.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Demon's Souls and (I assume) Dark Souls are actually extremely simple games. :ssh:

Think of them like old arcade games, they're extremely simple but difficult as hell until you get some more practice in.

I can probably sleepwalk my way through Demon's Souls now, and I put perhaps 80 hours into it.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Gyoru posted:

Yeah, Demon's Souls only sold 23,000 units during its first week in Japan in comparison. Dark Souls blew past 250,000 units in only 2-3 days.

So that's like a proper smash hit then? loving wicked!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

actionjackson posted:

Not usually. I do like Zelda as the other poster mentioned but I generally like games where I can adjust the difficulty. I also get somewhat intimidated by more complicated games, which this seems to be in terms of all the different classes, builds, items, weapons, etc. I'm also used to having checkpoints. Trying to rent it sometime is probably the best option for me.

The checkpoint thing won't be an issue. The Bon Fires are the fix to the complaints players had with Demon's Souls, with having to do all of that running back to a boss and killing everything over again.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

I said come in! posted:

The checkpoint thing won't be an issue. The Bon Fires are the fix to the complaints players had with Demon's Souls, with having to do all of that running back to a boss and killing everything over again.

Farming is going to be a hell of a lot easier now as well, no more long rear end load times after killing the enemies you're farming.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I suppose, but I was talking about Demon's Souls since that's a lot cheaper :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

actionjackson posted:

I suppose, but I was talking about Demon's Souls since that's a lot cheaper :)

Oops! That's my bad. Yeah I would rent Demon's Souls, if nothing else just to say you've played it. :)

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Gyoru posted:

Media Create puts Demons Souls first week sales at 40K, which of course does nothing to lessen the impressiveness of the first week Dark Souls sales. Supposedly the first week Dark Souls sales are very close to the lifetime sales of Demons Souls in Japan.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Smelly posted:

Farming is going to be a hell of a lot easier now as well, no more long rear end load times after killing the enemies you're farming.

While I suppose this is true, it does make getting to different parts of the world less easy. I'm not sure that's a bad thing, but unless someone knows if there's a teleporter or something it doesn't look like you can go rocking through the bog and step out to play in the lava caves, should that be your wont.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Lotish posted:

While I suppose this is true, it does make getting to different parts of the world less easy. I'm not sure that's a bad thing, but unless someone knows if there's a teleporter or something it doesn't look like you can go rocking through the bog and step out to play in the lava caves, should that be your wont.

I think I read that there's a way to fast travel if you get a certain item or something: that bigass raven dude will haul you around, supposedly

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Lotish posted:

Fast travel is available between certain bonfires from what I have seen. Some areas do still require a bit of a trek to get to though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I found and lit the campfire that is in the sewer maze deep below the city, but I haven't been able to find it again...

Also wandering around trying to find it is tough because cursing is, at least gameplay-wise, the only thing the game can throw at me anymore that really really scares me.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I don't think I'll mind traveling. What little of the gameworld I've seen, it almost looks like they want you to get lost in the maze of pathways. :allears:

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I'm loving lost in most games these days and they all come with maps and pathfinding. I'm sure I'm going to get lost a lot but I'm looking forward to exploring.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
I still don't quite have a handle on this game. Would it be accurate to describe it as a combat oriented Zelda game, but with ninja gaiden-esque ball crushing difficulty?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Macksy posted:

I still don't quite have a handle on this game. Would it be accurate to describe it as a combat oriented Zelda game, but with ninja gaiden-esque ball crushing difficulty?

Not really. It isn't difficult for the same reasons ninja gaiden is, and it doesn't have the sort of progression zelda titles have.

If you haven't already, read the OP. It does a pretty good job of describing the game. If you don't understand after that, I'm not sure we could explain it to you any better.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Funkmaster General posted:

Not really. It isn't difficult for the same reasons ninja gaiden is, and it doesn't have the sort of progression zelda titles have.
Are there any walkthrough videos that really explain how the combat in this game works? I like the difficulty of games like ninja gaiden and bayonetta and have been wanting something new, but i can't tell if I will like this(I understand it isn't fast paced and linear like those.)

quote:

If you haven't already, read the OP. It does a pretty good job of describing the game. If you don't understand after that, I'm not sure we could explain it to you any better.
The screenshots and text aren't really helping me and I haven't played the games it has been compared to.

Edit - I get the exploration and how the world works parts, but the combat mechanics are still fuzzy to me.

Macksy fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 28, 2011

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Next week will be the longest week of my gaming life. Amazon says 8th October. :(

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Macksy posted:

Are there any walkthrough videos that really explain how the combat in this game works? I like the difficulty of games like ninja gaiden and bayonetta and have been wanting something new, but i can't tell if I will like this(I understand it isn't fast paced and linear like those.)

The screenshots and text aren't really helping me and I haven't played the games it has been compared to.

Edit - I get the exploration and how the world works parts, but the combat mechanics are still fuzzy to me.

You could just go watch some gameplay videos on youtube to get a general idea of the game.

They're very simple mechanics though, it's mainly about position and strategy than power/skill

Even the trash mobs will gently caress you up if you overextend yourself.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Macksy posted:

That's actually pretty close, yeah. Plus a more RPG-like system of upgrading your dude's stats and getting nicer/more specialized equipment.

MediumWellDone posted:

Just picked it up today thanks to this thread. Pity I'm busy with work for the rest of the week and am going on to a wedding this weekend :argh:

Where the rear end did you find it a week early?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Macksy posted:

Some people early in the thread described it pretty well. You can lock on to enemies like in Zelda games (or not; there are times and places for both). Then you have a relatively basic selection of Block, Parry, dodge, regular attack, and strong attack (with some slight variations. Pressing forward+regular attack will perform a push or some other attack variant. Attacking after a roll or during a sprint will perform another attack, etc.). Some attacks may stun or interrupt some enemies; others won't. Fighting is all about watching attack patterns and waiting for safe openings to attack, and blocking or dodging while you wait for those openings. Probably most important is watching your stamina gauge- you almost always want to leave enough to block an attack or roll away, because enemies (all of them) can kill you extremely quickly and your healing is limited.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
It's not like Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden though where you're jumping around like crazy dodging attacks and attacking willy-nilly. It's more tactical and methodical because each attack/block/dodge takes stamina that you have a limited amount of. You can certainly play with a fast dodging character, but it's still not as frantic as most other current third-person action games.

Here's an LP of Demon's Souls, if you want to look at some gameplay videos. I haven't watched it in a long time but I'm pretty sure he gives a decent overview in one of the early videos. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3259210

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Which is also right here if you don't have archives!

http://lparchive.org/Demons-Souls/

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Sumadartson posted:

There need to be more Vonnegut references in Darks Souls discussions. It's oddly appropriate.

PO-TEE-WEET MOTHERFUCKER!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It's pathetic but I stopped by Frys on the way to work just on the tiny tiny chance they broke street date. No go.

• Locked thread